Voting open for your top 3 tracks in our Odd Meter Remix/ReMangle/Reimagine Challenge

Prizes generously donated by:
ADDAC System (Eurorack 3U)
Endorphin.es (Eurorack 3U)
Fred's Lab (DIY Paraphonic Synth)
Northern Light Modular (Buchla-format h-series OR Eurorack3U)
Rattly and Raw (Wiggler Approved Kontakt Instrument)
Studio.h (Buchla-format 4U)

Get your vote on and free 42 minute modular playlist for your listening pleasure.

ThreeTom Modular - Steve's MS-22 Dual VCF (4HP)

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

User avatar
tverscho
Common Wiggler
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:51 am
Location: Belgium

Re: ThreeTom Modular - Steve's MS-22 Dual VCF (4HP)

Post by tverscho » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:57 am

Synth DIY Guy's demo video for Steve's MS-22 is premiering in 2 hours. Grab a drink an come and join us in the chat if you have the time :)


User avatar
klstay
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 604
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 8:50 am

Re: ThreeTom Modular - Steve's MS-22 Dual VCF (4HP)

Post by klstay » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:09 pm

Finally took some time to watch this and it did not positively impact my patience waiting for the next batch to ship...
:hihi:

There is one last 4HP blank in my system until this jewel arrives.

User avatar
tverscho
Common Wiggler
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:51 am
Location: Belgium

Re: ThreeTom Modular - Steve's MS-22 Dual VCF (4HP)

Post by tverscho » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:50 pm

klstay wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:09 pm
Finally took some time to watch this and it did not positively impact my patience waiting for the next batch to ship...
:hihi:

There is one last 4HP blank in my system until this jewel arrives.
Well, I have some good news: I’m quite confident you won’t have to wait until July to enjoy your module, as production is running ahead of schedule ;)

User avatar
deft_bonz
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:46 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: ThreeTom Modular - Steve's MS-22 Dual VCF (4HP)

Post by deft_bonz » Thu May 13, 2021 3:57 pm

MS-22 is a filter monster :sb:

In my new melodic techno song I use it as a bass, playing two notes. The lower pitch (knob Spread) is sequenced, the upper (knob Frequency) is static. With Gain you can set the right amount so it becomes gnarly but still can be played. It sounds AWESOME!

Here's a short preview of that song:


User avatar
Kosmikos
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:21 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: ThreeTom Modular - Steve's MS-22 Dual VCF (4HP)

Post by Kosmikos » Fri May 14, 2021 11:23 am

Woohoo, Steve’s MS-22 has landed on Thonk. How long before they sell out?

https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/threetom-steves-ms-22-kit/

User avatar
Channel37
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:26 am
Location: Amsterdam
Contact:

Re: ThreeTom Modular - Steve's MS-22 Dual VCF (4HP)

Post by Channel37 » Mon May 17, 2021 12:30 pm

Save the date: Next Saturday is the live premiere of our build video of the yellow-PCB version of Threetom's MS22. Building this complex and fun SMD project was one of our long-term goals. If you're reading this thread, you probably have one already - but still, Threetom offered to give a MS22 partial kit to one of our viewers, to celebrate this "milestone" of our channel! You arecordially invited to join us for the live premiere with a beer (Europe) or coffee (US)! Meet synth peeps in the chat. 20:00 CEST (Amsterdam), 2PM EDT (East coast), 11AM PDT (West coast)

We are a scientist and classical musician on a journey into the world of DIY eurorack modular synthesis. We document this journey on YouTube -for fun, not for profit- as "synthertainment". The name Channel 37 refers to the narrow band of noise between the regular entertainment of channels 36 and 38, which is kept free for scientific research purposes.

Larkstarr
Common Wiggler
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:59 pm
Location: Napa, Ca

Re: ThreeTom Modular - Steve's MS-22 Dual VCF (4HP)

Post by Larkstarr » Mon May 17, 2021 3:27 pm

Bravo! This looks dope; I’m snagging one for sure!

User avatar
Channel37
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:26 am
Location: Amsterdam
Contact:

Re: ThreeTom Modular - Steve's MS-22 Dual VCF (4HP)

Post by Channel37 » Thu May 20, 2021 8:51 am

Here is a sneak preview of the video:
We are a scientist and classical musician on a journey into the world of DIY eurorack modular synthesis. We document this journey on YouTube -for fun, not for profit- as "synthertainment". The name Channel 37 refers to the narrow band of noise between the regular entertainment of channels 36 and 38, which is kept free for scientific research purposes.

User avatar
klstay
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 604
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 8:50 am

Re: ThreeTom Modular - Steve's MS-22 Dual VCF (4HP)

Post by klstay » Thu May 20, 2021 7:32 pm

Look what UPS just dropped off:
beauty
beauty
The Filter 8 and Vult Freak are both fantastic and do a LOT of things. However, after 5 minutes with this it is probably going to get all my attention for a while. Wow, just wow.
package
package
LOL. We just watched this the other day; the new transfer and color grading are phenomenal.

User avatar
Channel37
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:26 am
Location: Amsterdam
Contact:

Re: ThreeTom Modular - Steve's MS-22 Dual VCF (4HP)

Post by Channel37 » Sat May 22, 2021 4:42 am

Going live approximately 8 hours from now! Hope to meet you in the chat :)

We are a scientist and classical musician on a journey into the world of DIY eurorack modular synthesis. We document this journey on YouTube -for fun, not for profit- as "synthertainment". The name Channel 37 refers to the narrow band of noise between the regular entertainment of channels 36 and 38, which is kept free for scientific research purposes.

User avatar
Ushijima
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 543
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:37 pm
Location: BZH

Re: ThreeTom Modular - Steve's MS-22 Dual VCF (4HP)

Post by Ushijima » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:37 am

Seems like I missed the last batch. Please let me know if you have one for sale.
Anyone knows when there will be available again ?

User avatar
tverscho
Common Wiggler
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:51 am
Location: Belgium

Re: ThreeTom Modular - Steve's MS-22 Dual VCF (4HP)

Post by tverscho » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:47 am

Ushijima wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:37 am
Seems like I missed the last batch. Please let me know if you have one for sale.
Anyone knows when there will be available again ?
I'm currently taking a break from production to work on some new stuff. I'll be running another batch or two in the last quarter of the year though. Please send me an e-mail (info [at] threetom [dot] com) to join the waiting list :).

User avatar
tverscho
Common Wiggler
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:51 am
Location: Belgium

Re: ThreeTom Modular - Steve's MS-22 Dual VCF (4HP)

Post by tverscho » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:01 pm

A while ago I was interviewed by Synthux Academy, which is a podcast and blog about synthesizer design. During the interview, I talk about the development of Steve’s MS-22, how I’m currently revamping my unconventional design workflow, and the ways I hope to stand out as a small manufacturer. I’m very much honored to be featured on this blog among veteran companies like Make Noise, Music Thing Modular, Erica Synths, and Arturia. Check it out! :party:


User avatar
Kosmikos
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:21 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: ThreeTom Modular - Steve's MS-22 Dual VCF (4HP)

Post by Kosmikos » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:42 am

It looks there’re some more DIY builds available from Thonk. Couldn’t resist and picked another one. Now I’ll need to remove something from my case to make space for it. :doh:

jkurleto
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri May 07, 2021 11:57 am

Re: ThreeTom Modular - Steve's MS-22 Dual VCF (4HP)

Post by jkurleto » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:32 pm

Picked up a kit too, along with a Radio Music. Been waiting a while on both. Of course, had just gotten the Doepfer Wasp filter a couple weeks earlier, so I may be set on filters for a while.

User avatar
Wavtekt
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:33 am
Location: Canada West Coast
Contact:

Re: ThreeTom Modular - Steve's MS-22 Dual VCF (4HP)

Post by Wavtekt » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:08 pm

nvm ... found the answer

User avatar
YannDhou
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:37 am
Location: France

Re: ThreeTom Modular - Steve's MS-22 Dual VCF (4HP)

Post by YannDhou » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:14 am

Really hope they wont sell out before I can buy a full kit! This filter sounds wicked.
Which voice goes though yours? I'm curious :hmm:
post hoc ergo propter hoc

User avatar
Kosmikos
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:21 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: ThreeTom Modular - Steve's MS-22 Dual VCF (4HP)

Post by Kosmikos » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:10 am

YannDhou wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:14 am
Which voice goes though yours? I'm curious :hmm:
I have two AJH Minimod VCOs, and about to remake my case with one MS22 per Minimod. After trying various filters, I really liked the sound of the Minimod through the MS22 when slightly overdriven.

User avatar
YannDhou
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:37 am
Location: France

Re: ThreeTom Modular - Steve's MS-22 Dual VCF (4HP)

Post by YannDhou » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:51 pm

Kosmikos wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:10 am
YannDhou wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:14 am
Which voice goes though yours? I'm curious :hmm:
I have two AJH Minimod VCOs, and about to remake my case with one MS22 per Minimod. After trying various filters, I really liked the sound of the Minimod through the MS22 when slightly overdriven.
Okey so mostly bass and lead then, really can't go wrong with overdrive on both of them ahah. Really wonder how it would respond to chords or samples.
post hoc ergo propter hoc

User avatar
Wavtekt
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:33 am
Location: Canada West Coast
Contact:

Re: ThreeTom Modular - Steve's MS-22 Dual VCF (4HP)

Post by Wavtekt » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:26 pm

YannDhou wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:14 am
Really hope they wont sell out before I can buy a full kit! This filter sounds wicked.
It is all sold out from Three Tom Modular's website, but Thonk has the kit with all SMD parts pre-soldered.

https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/threetom-steves-ms-22-kit/

I just bought one with free shipping (November promotion).

Too bad that this filter doesn't track v/oct well, but it seems you can get more timbral variations by fiddling with gain and resonance.

User avatar
YannDhou
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:37 am
Location: France

Re: ThreeTom Modular - Steve's MS-22 Dual VCF (4HP)

Post by YannDhou » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:25 pm

Wavtekt wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:26 pm
YannDhou wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:14 am
Really hope they wont sell out before I can buy a full kit! This filter sounds wicked.
It is all sold out from Three Tom Modular's website, but Thonk has the kit with all SMD parts pre-soldered.

https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/threetom-steves-ms-22-kit/

I just bought one with free shipping (November promotion).

Too bad that this filter doesn't track v/oct well, but it seems you can get more timbral variations by fiddling with gain and resonance.
Yeah must be inherent to the MS-20’s filter architecture. Still, if atonal is your thing, must be lots good tone.

I’m looking for diy kit anyway so I still have a chance! :roll:
post hoc ergo propter hoc

User avatar
Wavtekt
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:33 am
Location: Canada West Coast
Contact:

Re: ThreeTom Modular - Steve's MS-22 Dual VCF (4HP)

Post by Wavtekt » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:29 pm

YannDhou wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:25 pm
Wavtekt wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:26 pm
YannDhou wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:14 am
Really hope they wont sell out before I can buy a full kit! This filter sounds wicked.
It is all sold out from Three Tom Modular's website, but Thonk has the kit with all SMD parts pre-soldered.

https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/threetom-steves-ms-22-kit/

I just bought one with free shipping (November promotion).

Too bad that this filter doesn't track v/oct well, but it seems you can get more timbral variations by fiddling with gain and resonance.
Yeah must be inherent to the MS-20’s filter architecture. Still, if atonal is your thing, must be lots good tone.

I’m looking for diy kit anyway so I still have a chance! :roll:
Well ... some Korg MS-series based filters like Intellijel- Korgasmatron / Manhattan Analog - MA35 can track v/oct, but they can't pushed to extreme gain and chaotic resonance like the MS-22 can.

:tu:

User avatar
YannDhou
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:37 am
Location: France

Re: ThreeTom Modular - Steve's MS-22 Dual VCF (4HP)

Post by YannDhou » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:17 pm

Wavtekt wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:29 pm
YannDhou wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:25 pm
Wavtekt wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:26 pm
YannDhou wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:14 am
Really hope they wont sell out before I can buy a full kit! This filter sounds wicked.
It is all sold out from Three Tom Modular's website, but Thonk has the kit with all SMD parts pre-soldered.

https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/threetom-steves-ms-22-kit/

I just bought one with free shipping (November promotion).

Too bad that this filter doesn't track v/oct well, but it seems you can get more timbral variations by fiddling with gain and resonance.
Yeah must be inherent to the MS-20’s filter architecture. Still, if atonal is your thing, must be lots good tone.

I’m looking for diy kit anyway so I still have a chance! :roll:
Well ... some Korg MS-series based filters like Intellijel- Korgasmatron / Manhattan Analog - MA35 can track v/oct, but they can't pushed to extreme gain and chaotic resonance like the MS-22 can.

:tu:

Oh yeah forgot about the Korgasmatron being a MS-20 based filter (yet it's called KORGasmatron :doh:).
Well, really looking forward to build it add it to my rack :))
post hoc ergo propter hoc

User avatar
tverscho
Common Wiggler
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:51 am
Location: Belgium

Re: ThreeTom Modular - Steve's MS-22 Dual VCF (4HP)

Post by tverscho » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:38 pm

Wavtekt wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:26 pm
Too bad that this filter doesn't track v/oct well, but it seems you can get more timbral variations by fiddling with gain and resonance.
Any easy workaround for the limited tracking is to use an unquantized (analog) sequencer and a tuner, just like in the olden days. I’m actually contemplating shooting a little video of such a patch for my YT channel :)

Post Reply

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”