Expert Sleepers ES-9 USB Audio Interface

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

venain
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Expert Sleepers ES-9 USB Audio Interface

Post by venain »

FletchNYC wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:26 pm Would it be weird for me to say that the ES-9 is my favorite module? It’s just solved so many problems for me, and opened up so many possibilities that I wouldn’t have otherwise. I love to move my 7U around and use it in different locations, and I just connect the ES-9 to my IPad for mixing. It works flawlessly in all situations, and has a plethora of ins, and outs, allowing me to work in stereo as much as I like. Using it with cv tools also makes my rack twice as powerful. It’s just a brilliant, brilliant piece of gear.
Not at all! It seems very expensive on the surface, but I do 100% of my fx and mixing using the ES-9 + VCV and some midi faders, it adds so much flexibility and power. I would have spent 4x as much money getting a big mixer and a bunch of FX modules I'm sure. Instead, I can use whatever FX I have available in VCV, plus any VST plugins i have using the host fx module. It's super powerful. My only issue is a ground loop hum that I can't easily get rid of, but it's just due to my setup (one of my computer monitor ports (HDMI) always introduces the ground loop, no matter how I have things plugged in). Can't fault the ES-9 for that!
bodydouble
Common Wiggler

Post by bodydouble »

aadamm wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:51 pm https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/cv-tools/

I can't remember if there's a price for that or what the availability is if you don't have a Max for Live license (I think you could use Max for Live stuff but not edit it? which should be fine for what you need...)
Thanks! I never really looked into because I haven't had a DC-coupled interface, but I'll take a look now!
Feels like it could really open up my system.
graciousgrendel
Common Wiggler

Post by graciousgrendel »

venain wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:49 pm I do 100% of my fx and mixing using the ES-9 + VCV and some midi faders, it adds so much flexibility and power. I would have spent 4x as much money getting a big mixer and a bunch of FX modules I'm sure. Instead, I can use whatever FX I have available in VCV, plus any VST plugins i have using the host fx module.
I 100% agree with this, having the ES9 with VCV and Host has so many possibilities :)
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

bodydouble wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:51 pm
aadamm wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:51 pm https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/cv-tools/

I can't remember if there's a price for that or what the availability is if you don't have a Max for Live license (I think you could use Max for Live stuff but not edit it? which should be fine for what you need...)
Thanks! I never really looked into because I haven't had a DC-coupled interface, but I'll take a look now!
Feels like it could really open up my system.
There's also Silent Way of course:

https://expert-sleepers.co.uk/silentway.html
Arrandan
Common Wiggler

Post by Arrandan »

venain wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:49 pm
FletchNYC wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:26 pm Would it be weird for me to say that the ES-9 is my favorite module? It’s just solved so many problems for me, and opened up so many possibilities that I wouldn’t have otherwise.
Not at all! It seems very expensive on the surface, but I do 100% of my fx and mixing using the ES-9 + VCV and some midi faders, it adds so much flexibility and power.
While I'm not using VCV for effects, but rather AUM, I still fully agree. I got the RoughRider compressor for free and now I can do sidechain without effort on the iPad. Even without all those savings, the ES-9 is still good value. Have you checked on prices of non-Eurorack audio interfaces with this amount of in/outs? For example, the Motu UltraLite is already more expensive. The ES-9 is just such good value.
Each day I publish a new track after a jam on my modular synth
YouTube - One Track Per Day
SoundCloud - One Track Per Day
plainjanefrancis
Common Wiggler

Post by plainjanefrancis »

Has anyone set up their ES-9 to function like a simplified Worng Soundstage or ALM Jumble Henge? If so, I'd love to see a screenshot of how this is set up in the configuration tool <3
Stab Frenzy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy »

plainjanefrancis wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:20 pm Has anyone set up their ES-9 to function like a simplified Worng Soundstage or ALM Jumble Henge? If so, I'd love to see a screenshot of how this is set up in the configuration tool <3
You could approximate that functionality with the ES-9 by panning and filtering the inputs (provided there is enough processing power for two filters on each input, I haven’t checked to see if there is) but there’s no way you can arrange the physical layout of the inputs to reflect the mix positions or have a single control to adjust the depth of all filters at once, and also digital filters will sound different to the analogue ones in SS/JH. Those modules have a lot of thought and design effort put into the UX, not just the functionality and sound.
plainjanefrancis
Common Wiggler

Post by plainjanefrancis »

Stab Frenzy wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:36 am
plainjanefrancis wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:20 pm Has anyone set up their ES-9 to function like a simplified Worng Soundstage or ALM Jumble Henge? If so, I'd love to see a screenshot of how this is set up in the configuration tool <3
You could approximate that functionality with the ES-9 by panning and filtering the inputs (provided there is enough processing power for two filters on each input, I haven’t checked to see if there is) but there’s no way you can arrange the physical layout of the inputs to reflect the mix positions or have a single control to adjust the depth of all filters at once, and also digital filters will sound different to the analogue ones in SS/JH. Those modules have a lot of thought and design effort put into the UX, not just the functionality and sound.
I suppose a more accurate comparison would be fixed filters like the FXDF, Verbos Noise and Filter, Bastl Propust, etc.. Simple and extremely useful. I plan to make a template in stand alone mode with fixed pans and filtering. But would love to see how anyone else has set up their stand alone mode if they’ve attempted this type of configuration.

Only asking cause the config tool is still a mystery to me. But if all else fails, I’ll spend this month trying to understand the config tool and I’ll just post my own configuration for anyone who finds themselves in my shoes in the future.
jones
Common Wiggler

Post by jones »

@OS would be really handy if we could switch the ES-9 from Standalone to Hosted by long-pressing or clicking the Headphone vol switch (is this actually used for anything in the current firmware?) whatcha think?
fruitsnake
Wiggling with Experience

Post by fruitsnake »

jones wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:52 pm @OS would be really handy if we could switch the ES-9 from Standalone to Hosted by long-pressing or clicking the Headphone vol switch (is this actually used for anything in the current firmware?) whatcha think?
You're a genius.
luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford »

fruitsnake wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:16 pm
jones wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:52 pm @OS would be really handy if we could switch the ES-9 from Standalone to Hosted by long-pressing or clicking the Headphone vol switch (is this actually used for anything in the current firmware?) whatcha think?
You're a genius.
Can I get partial credit for requesting this 6 months ago? :hihi:

This feature would be a huge improvement to me.
https://www.instagram.com/luketeaford
WTB (US) - 6 Make Noise Maths
Crevice
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Crevice »

luketeaford wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:29 pm
fruitsnake wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:16 pm
You're a genius.
Can I get partial credit for requesting this 6 months ago? :hihi:

This feature would be a huge improvement to me.
+1 Please add this!!
nodens
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nodens »

You mean from host to standalone right ? If you started in standalone, it will switch to host when you connect to a USB host (but it won't switch to host mode automatically, and indeed it would be useful to be able to switch without getting to the config tool or having to restart the module)...

Alternatively, maybe a long press could cause a restart ? But then you might want it to save the config to flash before
fruitsnake
Wiggling with Experience

Post by fruitsnake »

I would like it if pressing the knob simply switched to whichever mode was not currently active.
jones
Common Wiggler

Post by jones »

nodens wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:43 pm You mean from host to standalone right ? If you started in standalone, it will switch to host when you connect to a USB host (but it won't switch to host mode automatically, and indeed it would be useful to be able to switch without getting to the config tool or having to restart the module)...

Alternatively, maybe a long press could cause a restart ? But then you might want it to save the config to flash before
My use case is I have two sets of monitors in my studio - one set (Dynaudios) connected to the audio outs on the ES9 (Standalone) - allow for impromptu sessions without having to mess with my mac (always some problem solving with audio channels, clocks etc.) The other set of monitors (Genelecs) are used for more serious mixing etc. are connected to a Motu interface with the ES9 in an Aggregate setup (Hosted Mode - Dynaudios are disabled). If my mac has been on or is even asleep - the ES9 automatically switches to Hosted - disabling the audio from my Dynaudios. I have to either unplug the USB-C cable (which I try to avoid to reduce wear and tear on the connection) or shut down my computer, then power cycle my modular (where I have other modules that sometimes have settings that need to be saved etc). Would make life in the studio a lot easier - If I could leave my mac connected not worry about if it's either on or off and just long-press/click the vol pot on the ES9 - to switch it back to Standalone (reboot the es9?) - without having to reboot the whole system - hope this makes sence :-)
nodens
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nodens »

It does, and I agree it'd be useful. You can use the config tool to load standalone config if you don't want to unplug, but still a direct way to do it would be much better.
CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch »

My live setup has evolved since I added ES-9 in such a way that it's totally dependant on it.
I've saved a lot of space and money on routing tools and extra mixers since my rack is heavily stereo and integrates a few external instruments (both electronic and acoustic). It has unlocked the possibility to create my dream setup in a very compact format.
It really is the center piece!

I was thinking on buying a second unit just to keep as a safety measure in case this one breaks on me (I don't have any reason to think that'll happen).
There's simply no other audio interface out there with this many direct I/O on its size. Not even close.

Any information about future availability/expectations for ES-9?
Lokua
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Lokua »

CarlosUnch wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:35 am Any information about future availability/expectations for ES-9?
I'd also like to know what the future may bring. I really, really want more inputs.
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

There's no way to add more inputs to the ES-9, other than to just use two ES-9s (which you can do).

Very curious to know what you would use so many inputs for.
Arrandan
Common Wiggler

Post by Arrandan »

os wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:07 am There's no way to add more inputs to the ES-9, other than to just use two ES-9s (which you can do).

If he's (like me) using an iPad, you can only connect oneeaudio interface at the same time. But I'm also very curious why he needs all those inputs!
Each day I publish a new track after a jam on my modular synth
YouTube - One Track Per Day
SoundCloud - One Track Per Day
luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford »

Why wouldn't you just get a few cheap mixers like the manhattan analog ones and mix those together?
https://www.instagram.com/luketeaford
WTB (US) - 6 Make Noise Maths
CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch »

Arrandan wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:24 pm
os wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:07 am There's no way to add more inputs to the ES-9, other than to just use two ES-9s (which you can do).

If he's (like me) using an iPad, you can only connect oneeaudio interface at the same time. But I'm also very curious why he needs all those inputs!
Not OP, but currently I have ES-9 on full duty and I'm making sacrifices for both inputs and outputs. For example I have Data Bender going to Mimeophon and then to ES-9 instead of having separate sends, or having X-Pan mix several sources (out of the rack stuff goes here), or sending mono to Norns and Desmodus. Once you go stereo it fils up pretty quick!
InputsOutputs
1-2 Mimeophon1- 2 Line Out
3-4 Desmodus3-4 CIEMs
5-6 Plinky7 Norns
7-8 X-Pan8 Ciobra
9 Ensemble bass9 PNW Run
10 Ensemble10 PNW Clock
11 Ciobra11 Voltage Block Reset
12 B.I.A.12 Desmodus
13-14 Norns13-14 Data Bender
Lokua
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Lokua »

os wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:07 am Very curious to know what you would use so many inputs for.
Think of it this way: for someone who uses stereo channels, the ES-9 is only 7 channels, and hopefully it's not a far stretch to imagine why someone might want more than 7 channels. I have 4 stereo voices which leaves only 3 channels left for all drums, samples, chords, etc.

I do get by with submixes, but when I want to fully multitrack, I have to do multiple takes of drum parts soloed out which goes against the end goal of being able to just rock out, capture the moment, and have everything recorded separately. But again, I make due.

Aside from that, I have found that I cannot use the ES-9 in an aggregate device setup without a clock skipping randomly at times and messing everything up, so I've resorted to passing the rest of my "studio" (a polysynth, Elektron boxes, sometimes a friend wants to connect) into the modular and then into the ES-9 so I only have to use 1 interface (which exacerbates the multi-tracking problem). This clock skipping has been the case with 2 different generations of macbooks. I'm not sure what's to blame, here - the ES-9, Ableton's CV-tools, the Arturia interface, the Elektron boxes (I've tried every permutation, and MIDI never skips a clock, only the ES-9 out to the modular) I've brought this up in other threads (maybe even this one) and recall things working fine for others, which is really frustrating for me. So I've basically given up hope that aggregate devices will work for me (even tried on a PC and ouch - what a nightmare), and doubt that 2 ES-9s are going to behave any different. Maybe the new generations of non-intel macs will behave differently? But I haven't read anything to make me think otherwise, and again, I don't know if that's really what's to blame.

So yeah, a single DC coupled interface that can support more stereo channels would be a pretty nice solution.

Sorry for the novel.
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

Forgive me if we've had this discussion elsewhere, but did you enable 'drift correction' in the aggregate setup for the device which isn't the clock source?
Eurocat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Eurocat »

I purchased this a week ago and I’m sending it back cause of this reason alone. I was using it without a computer/iOS as just a mixer and it was working fine. I decided to plug my iPhone in to use with MI rack and it worked fine. When I unplugged my phone it stopped working. ES-9 wants me to hook my computer and go to the config just so it will boot back up in mixer mode. I don’t have my computer with me so it’s useless! Why wouldn’t you have a config for IOS?! Basically if something happens to your computer this thing is useless. Jeez man you really need to be able to get back and forth between modes without a computer. If this bug gets taken care of I’ll possibly purchase again but this is a huge oversight from the developers. What a shame.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”