Expert Sleepers ES-9 USB Audio Interface

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

borkkorb
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Expert Sleepers ES-9 USB Audio Interface

Post by borkkorb »

Is there a Max/MSP external for the ES-9?
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

No. It doesn't need one.
nodens
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nodens »

Hi, just got my es-9 a few days ago and trying to figure out a few things about internal routing and mixer.

What is the relation between USB bus and mixer internally ?

I understand I could mix before USB or after by choosing the relevant i/o in USB and mixer blocks, but what if I configure say input 1-2 to port 1-2 in USB block and input 1-2 to headphone left-right in the mixer block ?
Does the both the USB bus and the mixer get the signal ? And the host system never has the opportunity to get the mix result in this configuration but still has the dry input.

Thinking about all this I'm starting to wish for a jackd - style patchbay interface to connect stuff… Any js wizard around ? I'm definitely not able to write proper UI code 😅
luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford »

nodens wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 5:02 pm Hi, just got my es-9 a few days ago and trying to figure out a few things about internal routing and mixer.

I understand I could mix before USB or after by choosing the relevant i/o in USB and mixer blocks, but what if I configure say input 1-2 to port 1-2 in USB block and input 1-2 to headphone left-right in the mixer block ?
Does the both the USB bus and the mixer get the signal ? And the host system never has the opportunity to get the mix result in this configuration but still has the dry input.

Thinking about all this I'm starting to wish for a jackd - style patchbay interface to connect stuff… Any js wizard around ? I'm definitely not able to write proper UI code 😅
I'm a JS wizard and thought I would rewrite the config tool, but I haven't needed to actually. I just have everything mixing to unity gain except for inputs 1/2 which are hard panned left and right. Then I just set up different ableton templates... for example, maybe I put a different delay on inputs 3, 4, and 5 and then I can sort of audition what I want and move them around that way. I send 8 cv outputs... really easy. :tu:
https://www.instagram.com/luketeaford
WTB (US) - 6 Make Noise Maths
fruitsnake
Wiggling with Experience

Post by fruitsnake »

nodens wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 5:02 pm Hi, just got my es-9 a few days ago and trying to figure out a few things about internal routing and mixer.

There is essentially no relationship between the USB routing and the internal mixer. The USB routing selections simply allow you to select where "Input 1" in your DAW is getting its audio from (generally you'd want it to be from Analog Input 1). The USB output selections similarly allow you to direct audio outputs from your DAW to physical outputs on ES-9.

Now the internal mixer, on the other hand, is generally only in play in Standalone Mode, so the USB settings are irrelevant. If you're using ES-9 connected to a computer, then you can just use the default configurator settings and do all the mixing in your DAW and never worry about the config tool. If you actually want to use Standalone Mode and set up the internal mixer, PM me and I can help you set it up to do what you want.
nodens
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nodens »

Ok, it makes sense once I consider usb and mixer are independent functions that take input from somewhere and send output somewhere. Thanks! 😁
Back Down the Path
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Back Down the Path »

Is it possible to use the S/PDIF input to bring line level stuff in through the ES9?

If so, does anyone have a line level S/PDIF I/O device they use for this purpose?
Loads of stuff for sale here (PA/US).
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

Yes, it's possible.
Back Down the Path
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Back Down the Path »

os wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:52 am Yes, it's possible.
Thank you.

Does anyone use the S/PDIF I/O on their ES9?

If so, does anyone know of a more compact solution than the Scarlett 18i20 (say, with half the I/O?)
Loads of stuff for sale here (PA/US).
metamorphmuses
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses »

Back Down the Path wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:29 pm
os wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:52 am Yes, it's possible.
Thank you.

Does anyone use the S/PDIF I/O on their ES9?

If so, does anyone know of a more compact solution than the Scarlett 18i20 (say, with half the I/O?)
I haven't yet used the S/PDIF on the ES-9, however, I have an Arturia AudioFuse Studio that I could connect to the ES-9 through S/PDIF. So I could suggest the smaller AudioFuse (just AudioFuse, not AudioFuse Studio) as a compact solution. There is one issue, though, which is converting from the coaxial I/O of the AudioFuse to the TOSlink I/O of the ES-9.
Schanke
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Schanke »

@os i was wondering if it is possible to route all the inputs to the s/pdif out, on the es-9.
so i can have an aggregate with an Apollo 8 and the es-9 and still use a direct monitor via console by mixing the S/pdif toghether with the mix from the console and the master from Ableton.

this way i am hoping to reduce all my latency issues with ableton while monitoring and recording at the same time.
thx.
s
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

Did we not have this discussion on Instagram DM already?
Schanke
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Schanke »

i havent.
but nice someone else had the same idea ? what was the outcome of your discussion ?
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

S/PDIF is stereo. You could mix down all 14 channels and send them over, but you can't send them individually.
Schanke
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Schanke »

perfect thats all i need. i guess. i only want to monitor all the inputs while recording via usb.
i have to get my aggregate running again, yesterday i have changed my ins and out for direct monitoring in console, afeter ive done this my es-9 aggregate was
somehow corupted. need to fix this first.

thx @os for your help.
mothyl
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mothyl »

@os do you think it is feasible in the future to add a sidechain compressor to the ES-9 mixer?
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

I'm unlikely to add more complex processing than the current EQ to the ES-9 mixer.
jonesie
1-Post Wiggler

Post by jonesie »

My Mac is not seeing my Es 9 for some reason. It appears in Audio Setup but greyed out. The light to the left of the USB socket is lit. I've checked the plugs. It was working yesterday. Any ideas?
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

Turn everything off and on again?
fruitsnake
Wiggling with Experience

Post by fruitsnake »

Attachments
giphy.gif
giphy.gif (256.25 KiB) Viewed 302 times
bodydouble
Common Wiggler

Post by bodydouble »

I'm considering picking one of these up, and I fundamentally understand the value: multi-tracking your modular into a DAW and sending audio and CV from your computer into your modular, through the AC/DC coupled inputs and outputs.

From a quick search I couldn't figure out if it's possible to act:
1. as a MIDI-to-CV convertor, for example, from a piano roll in a DAW
2. as a way to control pitch data for VSTs using modular sequencers, quantizers, etc. (CV-to-MIDI)

Is that something ES-9 can do?
aadamm
Common Wiggler

Post by aadamm »

that would be something on the software side, and i assume a solution exists for basically every platform. what’s your DAW
bodydouble
Common Wiggler

Post by bodydouble »

My DAW’s Ableton Live 10.
aadamm
Common Wiggler

Post by aadamm »

Yeah, then I think you can use this:

https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/cv-tools/

I can't remember if there's a price for that or what the availability is if you don't have a Max for Live license (I think you could use Max for Live stuff but not edit it? which should be fine for what you need...)
FletchNYC
Veteran Wiggler

Post by FletchNYC »

Would it be weird for me to say that the ES-9 is my favorite module? It’s just solved so many problems for me, and opened up so many possibilities that I wouldn’t have otherwise. I love to move my 7U around and use it in different locations, and I just connect the ES-9 to my IPad for mixing. It works flawlessly in all situations, and has a plethora of ins, and outs, allowing me to work in stereo as much as I like. Using it with cv tools also makes my rack twice as powerful. It’s just a brilliant, brilliant piece of gear.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”