Expert Sleepers ES-9 USB Audio Interface

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Re: Expert Sleepers ES-9 USB Audio Interface

Post by LDT »

os wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:09 pm Yes, if you're recording the result of any DAW processing, 32 bit is an advantage.
👍🏻
LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT »

So, now I have an analog to SPDIF (Toslink) converter and an optical cable. In the ES-9 configurator I have set input 15 and 16 to be SPDIF L/R.
In AUM on my iPad I have added a channel with ES-9 15/16 as input but unfortunately nothing at all comes through. I have no idea what my next move should be in trouble-shooting this. :despair:
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

Could you attach a screenshot of the SPDIF section of the config?
LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT »

B25154AC-E0A1-491C-B9B4-6CC591E8277C.png
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

That looks OK. Do you have anything else with optical SPDIF that you could use for testing?
LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT »

That is the problem. Can not think of anything I have. But perhaps I know someone who does.
nicholasponcedeleon
Common Wiggler

Post by nicholasponcedeleon »

Try changing the spdif block to input 15-16
LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT »

nicholasponcedeleon wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:38 am Try changing the spdif block to input 15-16
There is no input 15-16. I can set it to spdif l/r but I don´t think that block matters in hosted mode.
0netwo0netwo
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 0netwo0netwo »

os wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:30 am I did say "possibly" re. MIDI. It's conceivable that, if you were using the ES-9's mixer, you might want to control it via MIDI. Perhaps you want to set up a "zero latency" cue mix from ES-9 inputs to outputs, not going through the computer, and then you might want to control that from a MIDI fader box, or via MIDI remote control from the DAW. But this is all going way beyond basic usage.
i apologize sometimes, well usually it takes me a few times to hear or read an answer to the same question to truly understand it
i appreciate the time you take to answer my sometimes repeat questions.
maybe I also sometimes I forget that ive asked it before somewhere else in a slightly different way

i understand how this could be frustrating for those I seek answers from
thank you
some invest in gold, silver and stocks - I like to invest in synths and drum machines :sb:

https://0netwo0netwo.bandcamp.com/releases

https://soundcloud.com/0netwo0netwo
Metalist
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Metalist »

just got an ES-9 it appears its 1.0.1 trying to update the the ExpertSleepersDFU_2.3 tool. tool does not see the .dfu update files I downloaded when prompted. any ideas?
ForAiur
Common Wiggler

Post by ForAiur »

I uninstalled the windows drivers and reinstalled the new ones. NOW I get "Device in runtime mode" on the DFU Utility but there is NO reboot button and the window and my whole system lag a lot.
Jeffmhopkins
Common Wiggler

Post by Jeffmhopkins »

Jeffmhopkins wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:13 am Has anyone by chance confirmed the ES-9 working with the MPC One? I know with the most recent update on the MPC it should take standard audio interfaces, but hoping someone has some hands on with it, the MPC is quite the power house for effects etc.
So the MPC One will indeed work with the ES-9. The only issue I've found is that using a bunch of inputs/outputs and then trying to record on it will introduce crackling.... on a computer DAQ setup, it'd just basically need a larger buffer, but the MPC in standalone doesn't have that ability.

End result though, is that it does work well, but might not make it the all in one awesome solution that I was hoping for.
dubsetter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dubsetter »

Hello.
Just got a ES-9 in the mail today and had a quick run with it but noticed there is audible bleed between (neighbouring) channels. Its also visible (ofcourse) in Ableton.
Is this expected or what can be done to reduce this?
Most noticeable is ofcourse hihats, high frequency sounds etc, coming thru. As it is now it would force me to use every second channel to avoid this, rendering half of the inputs useless (unless used for stereo input).
gigala
Common Wiggler

Post by gigala »

Sorry to hear that!
I never noticed bleed between the channels on my unit.
Wubz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Wubz »

dubsetter wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:55 pm Hello.
Just got a ES-9 in the mail today and had a quick run with it but noticed there is audible bleed between (neighbouring) channels. Its also visible (ofcourse) in Ableton.
Most noticeable is ofcourse hihats, high frequency sounds etc, coming thru. As it is now it would force me to use every second channel to avoid this, rendering half of the inputs useless (unless used for stereo input).
Get in touch with Os. Could be faulty. Does changing sample rate make a difference?
fruitsnake
Wiggling with Experience

Post by fruitsnake »

dubsetter wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:55 pm Hello.
That's definitely not right. Never had any bleed issues with mine. I'd assume there's a hardware fault.
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

dubsetter wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:55 pm Just got a ES-9 in the mail today and had a quick run with it but noticed there is audible bleed between (neighbouring) channels. Its also visible (ofcourse) in Ableton.
Is this with the default config?

Could you record a stereo track in the DAW, with a signal plugged into one channel only, so we can quantify how much bleed you're actually getting?
dubsetter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dubsetter »

os wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:04 am
dubsetter wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:55 pm Just got a ES-9 in the mail today and had a quick run with it but noticed there is audible bleed between (neighbouring) channels. Its also visible (ofcourse) in Ableton.
Is this with the default config?

Could you record a stereo track in the DAW, with a signal plugged into one channel only, so we can quantify how much bleed you're actually getting?
correct, this is with the default configuration, just plugged it into my apple laptop and started up ableton.

I sat down now and mapped out the bleed matrix:
1 -> 2
2 no bleed
3 no bleed
4 -> 3
5 -> 6
6 no bleed
7 no bleed
8 -> 7
9 no bleed
10 -> 9
11 -> 12
12 no bleed
13 no bleed
14 -> 13

I will record some later today and ill email you the result, Os.
Thanks for your time.
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

Thanks for emailing the recording.

I just ran some tests here on a recent ES-9. I'm certainly not seeing the same results. There is some bleed between inputs on the same PCB (so 1-8, and 9-14), but it's down around -90dB or so, much less than in your example, and certainly not a problem.

I'm slightly baffled. I can't think how bleed can possibly be unidirectional, at least not in the analogue domain. Could you try it at different sample rates (44.1/48/88.2/96)?
dubsetter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dubsetter »

os wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:19 am Thanks for emailing the recording.

I just ran some tests here on a recent ES-9. I'm certainly not seeing the same results. There is some bleed between inputs on the same PCB (so 1-8, and 9-14), but it's down around -90dB or so, much less than in your example, and certainly not a problem.

I'm slightly baffled. I can't think how bleed can possibly be unidirectional, at least not in the analogue domain. Could you try it at different sample rates (44.1/48/88.2/96)?
Yes, I tried switching samples rates and buffers around, they all produce the exact same behavior.
I'd be happy to send you this unique piece of gear to you for a flawless one in exchange. ;)

But yea, so I would guess this is some sort of broken unit which would validate a return/exchange to the vendor I purchased it at, correct?
Just want to have this out of my world and get focused on actually making sounds instead of troubleshooting them.
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

Joking aside, if you happen to be in the UK, it might make sense to do the swap, as I'm keen to figure out how yours is doing what it is.

But otherwise, go back to the store, as you say.
dubsetter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dubsetter »

os wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:10 am Joking aside, if you happen to be in the UK, it might make sense to do the swap, as I'm keen to figure out how yours is doing what it is.

But otherwise, go back to the store, as you say.
Unfortunatly im in Sweden, so I'll just send it back then.
Thanks for your time and input anyways. Lets hope for a better luck with the new unit (whenever that arrives :confused: ).
Zijnzijn Zijnzijn!
Common Wiggler

Post by Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! »

This is maybe more of a Max/MSP question but I'm having some trouble getting CV into Max in a good way, specifically the signal only updates every 500ms instead of rapidly. Is there a better way to set up the ES-9 or Max to get some fluid CV into it?
aadamm
Common Wiggler

Post by aadamm »

What are you using? I'm using the Ableton CV In guy from this package:

https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/cv-tools/

There must be somewhere you can set the polling rate. (I know you might not be using Ableton, of course, but I'm not sure if that download is gated behind a login. If not, maybe you can download it and look at the method?)
CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch »

I'm considering getting a stereo DI or LI for ES-9.

What's the output impedance of the Line outputs? I haven't found it on the specifications or manual.

As far as I know (little), if the impedance is low enough and being balanced outputs, I'd only need a line isolator in case of ground loops issues.
However may be nicer to lower the impedance further for long run cables with a DI.

Any recommendation/experience?

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”