Expert Sleepers ES-9 USB Audio Interface

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

graciousgrendel
Common Wiggler

Re: Expert Sleepers ES-9 USB Audio Interface

Post by graciousgrendel »

Smapti wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:51 pm Today I realized that I could utilize the midi breakout to make ES-9 into an 8 in + 8 out matrix mixer with no computer required, using midi CC's to control levels in the matrix. I've had the ES-9 for over a year but I hadn't thought to use it this way until today.
So many ways it can be used, it's sometimes hard to keep track. It's a Swiss Army Knife of Modular I/O :)
analogbrainsurgeon
Common Wiggler

Post by analogbrainsurgeon »

Is there any way to add inputs to the ES8/9? I'd like to me able to multitrack 16 channels from the WMD performance mixer.
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

The ES-8 inputs can be expanded to 12 by adding an ES-6 & ES-7.

The ES-9 has 14 inputs anyway, and you can add the remaining two with an SPDIF converter.
analogbrainsurgeon
Common Wiggler

Post by analogbrainsurgeon »

os wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:12 am The ES-8 inputs can be expanded to 12 by adding an ES-6 & ES-7.

The ES-9 has 14 inputs anyway, and you can add the remaining two with an SPDIF converter.
Do you have an SPDIF converter that you recommend and insight into how to make it work with the ES-9? If I could use the ES-9 to get all 16 tracks into the DAW that would be incredible, save me the cost of buying a specialized interface for only one purpose, and give me all the other benefits of the ES-9.
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

Just browsing Amazon turns up this, for example:
matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech »

Can't see your link Os - maybe the forum stripped it when you posted it somehow?
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

Seems OK?
Screenshot 2022-03-03 at 14.49.33.png
matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech »

weird - I can see your second post with the screenshot, but the previous one looks like this:
Screenshot 2022-03-03 at 14.52.02.png
ProggyBoog
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ProggyBoog »

matttech wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:52 am weird - I can see your second post with the screenshot, but the previous one looks like this:

Screenshot 2022-03-03 at 14.52.02.png
I have this as well, and I bet you're running an adblocker. I am, and I've seen this effect before because of it.
matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech »

aaaah. could be!
LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT »

os wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:12 am The ES-8 inputs can be expanded to 12 by adding an ES-6 & ES-7.

Oh, wow. I always thought that I would lose channels by using SPDIF in, as the configurator makes you chose between SPDIF and Mixer 2.
But maybe that only applys to stand-alone mixing, not when sending audio to iPad like I do?
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

Indeed. There are always 16 input channels over USB.
Jeffmhopkins
Common Wiggler

Post by Jeffmhopkins »

Has anyone by chance confirmed the ES-9 working with the MPC One? I know with the most recent update on the MPC it should take standard audio interfaces, but hoping someone has some hands on with it, the MPC is quite the power house for effects etc.
0netwo0netwo
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 0netwo0netwo »

am i understanding correctly that the config tool does not control the audio levels of the audio I have plugged into the physical inputs (1-14) but instead the levels for these are only controlled on your tracks in ableton that the physical inputs (1-14) are routed to?

i turned everything down in the config tool but i still hear the audio plugged into the front panel of the es-9
is this how it is supposed to be?
...its making my brain feel backwards

anyone have a link to a good beginners video to understand basic operations?
thanks
some invest in gold, silver and stocks - I like to invest in synths and drum machines :sb:

https://0netwo0netwo.bandcamp.com/releases

https://soundcloud.com/0netwo0netwo
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

Correct. The input audio is routed directly into the USB channels with no gain adjustment.

The intention is very much that, if you're using the ES-9 with a DAW, you never touch the config tool.
LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT »

os wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:22 am Indeed. There are always 16 input channels over USB.
Wee, two more inputs!

But then I started looking at converters and often they do not say anything about bitrate. And with the relatively little I know about digital audio, I don´t know if I should worry about that. I have found one converter that says it does both 16 and 24 bit, but I record in AUM at 32 bit float. Do you think I can keep on recording in 32 float, or will this force operation to 24 bit?

(Looking at this one: https://www.av-cables.dk/coaxial-digita ... 2-khz.html )
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

S/PDIF is a 20 bit protocol, so it's all moot really. Also the ES-9's converters are 24 bit so there's no point recording in 32 bit unless you're recording the result of processing within the computer.
DirkB
Common Wiggler

Post by DirkB »

os wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:38 am Correct. The input audio is routed directly into the USB channels with no gain adjustment.

The intention is very much that, if you're using the ES-9 with a DAW, you never touch the config tool.
so with ES-9 between euro and daw, gain adjustment for daw can only be done with attenuators, vca's and the like?
the raw mixing section is only meant for standalone use?
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

Primarily, yes, though it also manages the mixing of the main and headphone channels in the default configuration.
LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT »

os wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:00 am S/PDIF is a 20 bit protocol, so it's all moot really. Also the ES-9's converters are 24 bit so there's no point recording in 32 bit unless you're recording the result of processing within the computer.
Ok, I will just go for it and see how it goes.

And yes, there is quite a bit of audio processing going on in the iPad, and often the recording levels can be low on some tracks because I track it post fader, so I think there is some benefit to 32bit float. (So they say.)
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

Yes, if you're recording the result of any DAW processing, 32 bit is an advantage.
0netwo0netwo
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 0netwo0netwo »

os wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:38 am Correct. The input audio is routed directly into the USB channels with no gain adjustment.

Thank you for confirming Os
I will now go with my thought that while using the ES-9 with the DAW it's basically just a tunnel for the sound to travel back and forth to each end (1-14 IN) and (1-8 OUT) and that the levels have to be managed either on the modular side before the INs or in the DAW side with the faders

Because there is the option in the config tool to save the settings to "Save to flash Hosted" can you confirm for us which are the main controls//options within the config tool that DO affect the relationship with the DAWs(Hosted Mode), if any? OR is it referring to a different kind of "Hosted" mode with something else plugged into the USB-C port??
some invest in gold, silver and stocks - I like to invest in synths and drum machines :sb:

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

No, hosted just means connected to a computer.

I would imagine useful controls in this situation to be
- the DC blocking checkboxes.
- the MIDI settings, possibly.
- the mixer setup if you don't like the default scheme of 1/2 to main out and mix of 1/2 and 3/4 to phones.
0netwo0netwo
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 0netwo0netwo »

Ok "hosted" is only computer//ES-9 connections, got it.
-yup makes sense
-yea to what ends though>? - the MIDI coming from the DAW//computer and sent to the ES-9 is controlling what exactly?
--- is the ES-9 acting as a MIDI THRU?
"- the mixer setup if you don't like the default scheme of 1/2 to main out and mix of 1/2 and 3/4 to phones."

these would only be a concern if I was using those particular outputs of the ES-9 module itself, correct?

I have the ES-9 in aggregate with my Apollo QUAD so the main outs of the Apollo are being sent to the monitors of my studio.

I imagine it might be a good idea to use the physical outs of the ES-9 to use as alternate output copies to send somewhere for some parallel processing or sampling or maybe some CUEing. I will see whats up with that, thanks for the ideas Os

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

I did say "possibly" re. MIDI. It's conceivable that, if you were using the ES-9's mixer, you might want to control it via MIDI. Perhaps you want to set up a "zero latency" cue mix from ES-9 inputs to outputs, not going through the computer, and then you might want to control that from a MIDI fader box, or via MIDI remote control from the DAW. But this is all going way beyond basic usage.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”