Expert Sleepers ES-9 USB Audio Interface

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

Vanden92
Common Wiggler

Re: Expert Sleepers ES-9 USB Audio Interface

Post by Vanden92 »

fruitsnake wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:04 pm It also depends on what programs you're using and how much you're doing in said programs. I've gotten zero latency when multitracking in Reaper with 20+ tracks. I've also gotten zero latency running a fairly basic patch in VCV Rack - bunch of clock utilities and a few envelope generators and quantizers with cv i/o via ES-9. If you're going hard with plugins/ processing live sound I don't know how perfect it would be. But if you're just playing samples from your DAW in sync with hardware units you should be good.
Ok thanks. I'm not doing much in Ableton at all so should be able to get the timing locked, as you say. Cable I'm using is USB C going into a newish M1 air
kobe
Common Wiggler

Post by kobe »

Dear os,
it would be awesome to use the knobs push-button function to send some voltage to a specific output on ES-9 or to one of the expanders.
For instance this could work as a reset to sequencers ...
All the best for 2022!
luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford »

As long as we're throwing out requests... could the push button toggle between hosted/standalone modes? I keep the config tool up all the time just to flip back and forth as my needs vary.
https://www.instagram.com/luketeaford
WTB (US) - 6 Make Noise Maths
Lanky Skills
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Lanky Skills »

Incredible interface in such a small form factor.
dip_registered
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dip_registered »

Hey! I'm having an issue where my main headphone output is summing to mono. It's happening on both ableton and itunes, so I doubt it's routing in ableton. I updated the unit to 1.2.3 and made sure I'm on the latest config tool, which I hit 'reset to defaults' and saved to flash.

Any ideas? I'm on a new M1 macbook pro (monterey 12.0.1)
Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 9.05.21 pm.png
I'm stumped but I feel like this may have an easy solve...
sui_city
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sui_city »

dip_registered wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:07 am Hey! I'm having an issue where my main headphone output is summing to mono. It's happening on both ableton and itunes, so I doubt it's routing in ableton. I updated the unit to 1.2.3 and made sure I'm on the latest config tool, which I hit 'reset to defaults' and saved to flash.

Shouldn’t channels 3 & 4 be Stereo Linked?
LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT »

sui_city wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:34 am
dip_registered wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:07 am Hey! I'm having an issue where my main headphone output is summing to mono. It's happening on both ableton and itunes, so I doubt it's routing in ableton. I updated the unit to 1.2.3 and made sure I'm on the latest config tool, which I hit 'reset to defaults' and saved to flash.

Shouldn’t channels 3 & 4 be Stereo Linked?
Exactly.
fruitsnake
Wiggling with Experience

Post by fruitsnake »

Also you may need to look at the "raw mix" section and make sure Phones L is only receiving 3 and Phones R is only receiving 4 (or 1 and 2 if you're trying to mirror your main outs to the phones)
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

dip_registered wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:07 am Hey! I'm having an issue where my main headphone output is summing to mono.
Is it summing to mono correctly, or is it a weird phasey sounding sum which drops in level if you pan something between the two sides?
dip_registered
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dip_registered »

os wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:50 am
dip_registered wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:07 am Hey! I'm having an issue where my main headphone output is summing to mono.
Is it summing to mono correctly, or is it a weird phasey sounding sum which drops in level if you pan something between the two sides?
It's a weird sum which drops in level when panning to the two sides. Tried stereo linking 3&4, but didn't help with this specifically. Thanks!
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

dip_registered
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dip_registered »

I've had the unit for a year or more, and it's only just happening now. I've had stereo fine before. Could it still be that?
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

It seems less likely based on that information, but it's still possible. It's a very easy fix to try, either way.
Octognoma
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Octognoma »

omega8870 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:44 am I too also use the ES9's robust mixing features. I control the virtual mixer using a faderbank in my Eurorack system using midi CC. I was curious, it is my understanding that mixer channels for Main Out and Headphone require separate midi CCs. That is to say, Channel 1 for the Headphones has one dedicated midi CC and that same channel, Channel 1, for the Main Out requires a different, dedicated midi CC.

Is it possible to control Channel 1's fader for BOTH Headphone & Main Out using the same midi CC? Effectively it would mean that I could control both mixers using the same matching hardware controls. Right now I have to re-flash my faderbank with new midiCCs to control one mix or the other.
Which faderbank are you using? 16n??
CarlosUnch
Common Wiggler

Post by CarlosUnch »

An idea for the push button: Toggle between Headphone output channels.

Like 1-2 to 3-4 for AB or 1-2 to 1-2+3-4 for main + cues.
Warmofada
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Warmofada »

Hi everyone, 

I was looking thought the debate about USB cables, I live outside US so it's hard to find or to buy the identical items you guys offer... 

I'm having trouble with latency using a regular USB cable 3 meters long (10ft), it needs that distance because of the configuration of my desk.

I found a UBS for a VR (oculus link quest 2) that is pretty popular here, looks better than a regular one maybe is a good quality and transfer capability, is it possible to analyze if It's going to work?? It promises 5gbs of data transfer, it has reviews showing that it works alright with the VR. (It's similar to this one: encurtador.com.br/lptHQ)

Thanks
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

The length of a USB cable has no bearing on the latency of an audio interface.
Warmofada
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Warmofada »

os wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:47 pm The length of a USB cable has no bearing on the latency of an audio interface.
Nice to know this, my thought process was while I was reading all this post and found some that had trouble with latency and solve with new and better cable.

I'm out of town, when I get back I will try first update bios and everything that someone suggest in the other post and if didn't do the trick, I will try this VR cable.

Thanks.
fruitsnake
Wiggling with Experience

Post by fruitsnake »

USB 3.0 with 5gb/s speed ought to do the trick. Only with the new USB 3.0 technology is it possible to get those speeds, so make sure your computer has a USB 3.0 compatible port. My computer for instance has 3 USB ports, but only one of them is 3.0 compatible.
Warmofada
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Warmofada »

fruitsnake wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:49 pm USB 3.0 with 5gb/s speed ought to do the trick. Only with the new USB 3.0 technology is it possible to get those speeds, so make sure your computer has a USB 3.0 compatible port. My computer for instance has 3 USB ports, but only one of them is 3.0 compatible.
Thanks for the info, mine has 3.2 gen 2 so hopefully i'm alright.

I will post when i arrive to note to anyone if the bios and the VR cable do the trick.
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

The ES-9 uses USB 2.0.
Ears
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Ears »

Most likely you need to tune your computer audio settings to reduce latency. This is a huge topic onto itself, and something worth a search.
Pictus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Pictus »

Warmofada wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:35 pm I'm having trouble with latency using a regular USB cable 3 meters long (10ft), it needs that distance because of the configuration of my desk.
Hi,
IF it is a PC, some tweaks at
https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.ph ... tcount=270
Ears
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Ears »

Pictus wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:38 am
Warmofada wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:35 pm I'm having trouble with latency using a regular USB cable 3 meters long (10ft), it needs that distance because of the configuration of my desk.
Hi,
IF it is a PC, some tweaks at
https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.ph ... tcount=270
More common fixes are found here: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... ce-latency Even if you’re not using Live, these same principles are pretty common, at least in PC land.

Pictus is getting into the advanced league on his gearspace thread, and is hitting stuff that I place more in the audio PC performance category than in the audio interface latency (which is what I think you need here).
Smapti
Common Wiggler

Post by Smapti »

Today I realized that I could utilize the midi breakout to make ES-9 into an 8 in + 8 out matrix mixer with no computer required, using midi CC's to control levels in the matrix. I've had the ES-9 for over a year but I hadn't thought to use it this way until today.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”