Expert Sleepers ES-9 USB Audio Interface

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

Eurocat
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Expert Sleepers ES-9 USB Audio Interface

Post by Eurocat »

:miley:
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

I'm not sure what your issue is here. There are two config slots, one for hosted (with computer/iOS) and one for standalone. Once you've connected a computer/phone/iPad it switches to hosted mode. If you want to go back to standalone mode, just unplug the device and power cycle it.
fruitsnake
Wiggling with Experience

Post by fruitsnake »

Eurocat wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:33 am I purchased this a week ago and I’m sending it back cause of this reason alone. I was using it without a computer/iOS as just a mixer and it was working fine. I decided to plug my iPhone in to use with MI rack and it worked fine. When I unplugged my phone it stopped working. ES-9 wants me to hook my computer and go to the config just so it will boot back up in mixer mode. I don’t have my computer with me so it’s useless! Why wouldn’t you have a config for IOS?! Basically if something happens to your computer this thing is useless. Jeez man you really need to be able to get back and forth between modes without a computer. If this bug gets taken care of I’ll possibly purchase again but this is a huge oversight from the developers. What a shame.
Does the web-based config tool not work on iOS devices? I thought the whole point of an html config tool is that you can use it on any device.
luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford »

fruitsnake wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:17 pm
Eurocat wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:33 am I purchased this a week ago and I’m sending it back cause of this reason alone. I was using it without a computer/iOS as just a mixer and it was working fine. I decided to plug my iPhone in to use with MI rack and it worked fine. When I unplugged my phone it stopped working. ES-9 wants me to hook my computer and go to the config just so it will boot back up in mixer mode. I don’t have my computer with me so it’s useless! Why wouldn’t you have a config for IOS?! Basically if something happens to your computer this thing is useless. Jeez man you really need to be able to get back and forth between modes without a computer. If this bug gets taken care of I’ll possibly purchase again but this is a huge oversight from the developers. What a shame.
Does the web-based config tool not work on iOS devices? I thought the whole point of an html config tool is that you can use it on any device.
It requires Web MIDI which is only available in Chrome (Edge and Opera use the same rendering engine so it should work there too).
https://www.instagram.com/luketeaford
WTB (US) - 6 Make Noise Maths
fruitsnake
Wiggling with Experience

Post by fruitsnake »

Ah I see. Every year that goes by I become happier and happier with my decision to leave the Apple-sphere and move to PC-town.
Lokua
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Lokua »

os wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:54 am Forgive me if we've had this discussion elsewhere, but did you enable 'drift correction' in the aggregate setup for the device which isn't the clock source?
I have tried with and without, problem remains. Thanks for the troubleshooting tip, though.
Crevice
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Crevice »

os, is it not possible to add switching to standalone and hosted mode via a shortcut on the panel itself, even if it has to trigger a reboot of the module for it to work properly? Sometimes I end up mixing in the rack to start via standalone mode and then I want to switch to an mpc one in hosted mode in the same session, but I don't want to power off and on my entire rack to do that. I think you can understand how turning off the entire rack in the middle of a session can be destructive, as in some cases on reboot some digital modules can reset certain settings. For example, long press the headphone knob for 3-5 seconds and the module will reboot to the next mode.
LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT »

fruitsnake wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:17 pm
Use the iOS app called Web Midi. Configuring ES-9 from an iPad works just fine.
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

Here's a beta which offers config switching by pushing the volume knob.

Short push - shows last loaded config on LEDs (left is hosted, right is standalone).
Long push - loads other config.

Also a new config tool.

https://github.com/expertsleepersltd/is ... 83/es9.zip
https://github.com/expertsleepersltd/is ... l.html.zip

Please let me know how you get on with these.
luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford »

os wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:24 am Here's a beta which offers config switching by pushing the volume knob.

Short push - shows last loaded config on LEDs (left is hosted, right is standalone).

Also a new config tool.

Excellent! Thanks, os! I won't have a chance to test it until the weekend, but this will be very helpful for me.
https://www.instagram.com/luketeaford
WTB (US) - 6 Make Noise Maths
Crevice
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Crevice »

os wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:24 am Here's a beta which offers config switching by pushing the volume knob.

Also a new config tool.

Wow. Thank you so much. I will test this out today!
fruitsnake
Wiggling with Experience

Post by fruitsnake »

I never stop being amazed at the responsiveness of Expert Sleepers to requests on this forum - amazing. I'm stoked to be able to switch modes without opening the config tool.

@os - This is a really random question, but is there a reason the DC blocking selections are "1+2, 3+8, 4+5, 6+7, 9+10..." instead of the seemingly more logical "1+2, 3+4, 5+6, 7+8, 9+10..." or is that just a strange oversight?
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

It's just how the hardware is.
Arrandan
Common Wiggler

Post by Arrandan »

Small question. How powerful is the headphone amp on the ES-9? I tried googling it, but I haven't really found a reference answer. Will it drive 250Ohm headphones? Looking to buy a new studio headphone and it'd be ideal if I could keep plugging it straight in. Thanks!
Each day I publish a new track after a jam on my modular synth
YouTube - One Track Per Day
SoundCloud - One Track Per Day
metamorphmuses
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses »

Arrandan wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:05 pm Small question. How powerful is the headphone amp on the ES-9? I tried googling it, but I haven't really found a reference answer. Will it drive 250Ohm headphones? Looking to buy a new studio headphone and it'd be ideal if I could keep plugging it straight in. Thanks!
Yes, I use Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm headphones with the ES-9.
Arrandan
Common Wiggler

Post by Arrandan »

metamorphmuses wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:24 pm Yes, I use Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm headphones with the ES-9.
Great, thanks! Saves me from getting a Joranalogue Transmit.
Each day I publish a new track after a jam on my modular synth
YouTube - One Track Per Day
SoundCloud - One Track Per Day
nodens
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nodens »

Also a new config tool.

Works great for me! Thanks! :yay: :guinness:

If you ever manage to add the config save/restore to the config tool (web), and if I can find a way to use dfu-util to update the firmware on linux (I can't seem to put it in dfu mode, but that's probably doable, meanwhile I just use a virtual machine)… Well, :sb:
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

There's a jumper on the module to force it to boot into DFU mode.
nodens
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nodens »

os wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:14 am There's a jumper on the module to force it to boot into DFU mode.
Oh, forgot about this one, thanks! Still faster to boot a vm than to remove from case, but that could be an option too.

I intend to snoop on the usb at some point to check what dreamdfu is doing exactly, and how it differs from dfu-util. Thing is, this time i was too eager to try the button and forgot, I'll try to remember next time I flash a firmware ^^

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”