Polyend Preset

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

pyrolator
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Polyend Preset

Post by pyrolator » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:01 am

hawkfuzz wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:52 pm
Email them
I did. and got a quick and friendly answer.
There is no display, so there is no was to see it from the outside. I just habe to find out, if one of the new features work.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:26 am

Great. It's a good habit to contact manufacturers first to get tech support and use this site second to consult with users.

Not as many manufacturers are interacting as they once were due to a boom in demand. I imagine as well as a boom in people thinking they are stock holders in a company because they bought a product and think their vision supersedes the manufacturer. It can block creativity.
THUMPR BC SC

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:55 pm

pyrolator wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:51 am
Does anyone know how to find out which firmware is installed?
I saw that 1.05 is availible and I am not sure about the version on my module....
I just did that firmware update (I believe). I didn't come across any indication about the old firmware version or the new one, neither in the fw updater software nor on the hardware module itself. The process involves pressing a small micro-reset-button that is located inside/between the two pcb layers - a little odd. At least it was successful. Not a major update though.

jjterbeek
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jjterbeek » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:39 am

What a great module!

Im using a Nerdseq for the building blocks of my music. Polyend Preset for ... presets (3x Assimil8tor, 1x sequential switch -is controlling 4x in/4x out and mute- , 1x decay-ing chimera, bia, 1x acid rain switch, and some for erbe verb and chronoblob)
Other CV modulation: Varigate 4+. Voltage Block, stages, streams, pons asinorum, muxclier, batumi, mimetic digitalis, tides.

I think i'll buy a second preset (or a emblematic systems Catalyst...)

funqpatrol
Common Wiggler

Post by funqpatrol » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:58 pm

I wish the smoothness option would actually smooth the recorded modulation with greater resolution, it is so so steppy, I was pretty disapointed to discover that. :(

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:20 pm

Big reason I'll wait until they either update or make another version. I wish it had more IN jacks, but I do think it's a very great module. The Tetrapad and Tete combo seem to do some of the functions, but more money and not exactly 1:1 functionality.
THUMPR BC SC

funqpatrol
Common Wiggler

Post by funqpatrol » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:28 am

hawkfuzz wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:20 pm
Big reason I'll wait until they either update or make another version. I wish it had more IN jacks, but I do think it's a very great module. The Tetrapad and Tete combo seem to do some of the functions, but more money and not exactly 1:1 functionality.
What's promising though is there is a port for a "surprise" expander module at the back.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:38 am

OOOooooo. That's neat. Hope it happens.
THUMPR BC SC

Plugman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Plugman » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:30 am

dbeats wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:55 pm
pyrolator wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:51 am
Does anyone know how to find out which firmware is installed?
I saw that 1.05 is availible and I am not sure about the version on my module....
I just did that firmware update (I believe). I didn't come across any indication about the old firmware version or the new one, neither in the fw updater software nor on the hardware module itself. The process involves pressing a small micro-reset-button that is located inside/between the two pcb layers - a little odd. At least it was successful. Not a major update though.
Polyend Preset version upgrade is inconvenient because it only works. Anyway, Scale scale appears even during automation recording ← 1.05 Switching to CV input mode A triggers reset. ← 1.04 Maybe it's up to version1.05.

[bbvideo] [/bbvideo]

vingtdieux
Common Wiggler

Post by vingtdieux » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:15 pm

I would like to enter micro-tuning/micro-values by turning an encoder ( not clicked ( the contrary of the actual behavior ) )

grombleglop
Learning to Wiggle

Post by grombleglop » Fri May 15, 2020 11:58 am

I’m trying to find a module that will allow me to build my own chord voicings to go into the 5 cv ins on the Odessa oscillator. Ideally, I’d like something with pads that can change the voicing/chord type (more pads the better). So far I haven’t really found anything that would be as user definable as I’d like, but after looking into the preset, it seems to be exactly what I’m looking for. Anyone that has it use it for any kind of chord generation or have any thoughts on doing so?

Only reservation is that pretty much everything else the preset can do I have either little or no interest in, so it feels kinda dumb spending the money for all the other features. But if it’ll do the job, it could be worth it...

l e b e r
Veteran Wiggler

Post by l e b e r » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:58 am

Is it possible for the User Parameters to be saved? Every time i power this down it seems to lose my User Parameters (such as the 'CV In' always return to the 'Reset' option). Thanks!

DJ Tap Water
Common Wiggler

Post by DJ Tap Water » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:36 am

This module is indispensable to me even though it could have been executed more comprehensively. For instance, slew as a global effect is just insulting. It's not even per channel, when it needs to actually be per channel, per step, which would be a great addition to the main functionality of the module - unlike the steppy, unsynced twiddly LFOs which are just a novelty. So you get rubbish slew and rubbish LFOs - polyend should have picked one and done it properly, because both of these features feel like toys. Having said that, it's core use as a performative controller to send fixed voltages to sequencers and other modules is so, so powerful that it is a keeper despite the frustration that it is close to being even better. Controlling the er-101 with the preset is dreamy. It turns morphagene into something else, too. Preset crossed with Pamela's new workout would be a game changing sequencer. Oh, and the buttons and feel of the preset is nice, too.

solipsvs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by solipsvs » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:26 pm

i dont know. it feels like polyend makes a habbit of almost crippling their products just so they can make you buy again.

marcelvidela
Learning to Wiggle

Post by marcelvidela » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:56 am

I bought this module more impulsively than I should have. How did you guys go about deciding which what outputs to dedicate them to in your rack. That alone is driving my head in. I guess because until now I always pull the patch cables out before I start anything.

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:30 pm

l e b e r wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:58 am
Is it possible for the User Parameters to be saved? Every time i power this down it seems to lose my User Parameters (such as the 'CV In' always return to the 'Reset' option). Thanks!

Looks like that got fixed in the 1.0.6 update...

Code: Select all

CV input type was not saved to the preset, not anymore.
https://polyend.com/downloads/
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

tuj
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tuj » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:57 am

Such a disappointment of a module. Could have been a real game-changer, basically like a 32-pad pressure points with 9 channels, amazing idea, amazing concept, terrible execution. The CV stepping is super bad, the developers don't seem interested in any suggestions for how to improve the firmware, there are bugs, my first one was defective and had to be returned, there's no reset input, etc.

All they care about right now is the tracker. Don't waste your time on a product that was only half-baked.

Popemello
Learning to Wiggle

Polyend Preset - recording cv-in automation

Post by Popemello » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:26 am

So I picked one of these up, and am overall impressed by its potential. I’ve been able to use the record mode to duplicate encoder twists or pad taps via the prescribed method. However, when I bring CV input via the jack (menu option set to ‘R’), the module doesn’t seem to pick up the signal at all. Where the encoder’s brightness varies based on signal when recording in the other 2 methods, through the CV in jack, no change in appearance to the encoder occurs. I’ve used both a planar2(unipolar mode) and voltage block to try to stimulate the CV in...

Is this a known issue? I see also that in ‘GT’ mode, sending a clock signal in doesn’t seem to move the sequence forward. That makes me concerned that there is a physical issue with the CV in port.

Thanks for any advice!

UPDATE:
So I went to update the firmware this morning, but first I just power cycled the unit to test whether it would pick up the CV signal in. To my surprise, the unit flashed a few lights, but didn’t seem to power on. There’s just this ominous red light emanating from between the PCB boards...

So I can’t find any reference to this scenario anywhere. I’ve contacted the manufacturer & the seller hoping for some warranty support.

Still, has anyone heard of this occurrence? Thanks!

ambits
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ambits » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:33 pm

Did you ever resolve this issue? I am in the same situation. Bought new, used a couple of times. Input didn't seem to work as expected. Now it won't power up and I see the red light on the PCB.

Pozzetronics
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Pozzetronics » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:34 pm

Don't get too excited about the expander port...I see it more and more as a just-in-case design implementation (I'm looking at you, Stillson Hammer mkii).

So if a gate is stepping through presets, if you hold down 2 or 3 or 8 'presets', are they stepped through at each pulse to the CV in (a la Voltage Block? That's how I use VB most).

The recorded automations...do they simply loop at the length that Record is held? No reset or anything beyond switching to the preset on which it was recorded?

Popemello
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Popemello » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:36 am

ambits wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:33 pm
Did you ever resolve this issue? I am in the same situation. Bought new, used a couple of times. Input didn't seem to work as expected. Now it won't power up and I see the red light on the PCB.
I ended up getting a replacement from my retailer, per Polyend’s instructions. Since then, I’ve flashed new firmware, and it still is working well. Although once, upon startup, it had the red light and no activity. I went looking for the box, and left the power on. When I got back, maybe 14 minutes later, it was fine. Hasn’t happened since. It would be nice if an mk2 had a screen for status etc...

Good luck!

polyshaft
Learning to Wiggle

Post by polyshaft » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:43 am

In Green/CV mode, when preset is switched to CV, the set voltage continues to be output
(It becomes like Blue/Constant Value mode.)
Is this a specification?

I want the voltage to be output only at the moment the Preset is switched.

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:11 am

polyshaft wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:43 am
In Green/CV mode, when preset is switched to CV, the set voltage continues to be output
(It becomes like Blue/Constant Value mode.)
Is this a specification?
No, as described in the manual, gate out should output 0v when released.

ikkyu666
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ikkyu666 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:26 pm

I'm in the market for a sequencer/cv controller and am torn between Voltage Block and this Polyend!

One of the questions I have about the Voltage BLock that I can't find an answer for (probably because I can't figure out how to phrase the question) is: does the VB have 'banks' that store your 'sequence'? Like lets say I make a 16 step sequence with cv and shit - can I save that and switch to another band with a different 16 step sequence? Or is it whatever is on the panel is what is happening always?

Also - Can the Polyend chain banks of sequences together?

ikkyu666
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ikkyu666 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:19 pm

Aight so I got the Polyend Preset and have played with it for about 3 hours. Its pretty insane and was a large learning curve coming from a background of simple sequencers. I bought this thing mainly to use as a sequencer, though if live shows ever happen again I'm excited by the potentiality of presets.

Early pros: it has completely reinvented my Eurorack system. I've had the same 2 rows (give or take a module or two) for the last 2 years and was starting to feel like I'd reached the terminus of its capabilities. Now I'm dizzy with new ideas and sounds made with this guy.

Early cons: it has a distinct lack of 'live' playability/spontaneity. I had Intellijel's Metropolis for ~4 years so it was a bit of a system shock both learning and accepting the Preset. I REALLY wish you could mute presets in a sequence instead of having to clear them to create an blank phrase. That one feature would turn shit around. Also the fucking button to 'flash' the module for the firmware update took me like 20 minutes to find and figure out HOW to press. I really wish the manual was more descriptive.

That all being said, I'm a firm believer that a piece of gear's limitations are were it can be most inspiring. A module's limitations are only limitations because we have a fixed idea of how things should work.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”