Polyend Preset

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

comacomfort
Common Wiggler

Re: Polyend Preset

Post by comacomfort » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:33 pm

can anyone with this module tell me the knob resolution? the knob feel? are they clicky steps or is it smooth? whats the smallest increment i can make? If i wanna subtly detune 2 oscillators together whats the slowest i can make them beat with this thing

vingtdieux
Common Wiggler

Post by vingtdieux » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:43 am

Knob resolution is ok when knob pressed but not very smooth and it's not handy. Maybe a firmware update could help. I didn't liked voltage block too.
I prefer meng qi voltage memory and sold voltage block and polyend preset.

ikkyu666
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ikkyu666 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:46 am

comacomfort wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:33 pm
can anyone with this module tell me the knob resolution? the knob feel? are they clicky steps or is it smooth? whats the smallest increment i can make? If i wanna subtly detune 2 oscillators together whats the slowest i can make them beat with this thing
Its a clicky step, which I like. The knob resolution seems to be pretty instrumental. I haven't used it to tune oscs, but I can easily dial in perfect drum sounds on the Bisimalus.

bjm
1-Post Wiggler

Post by bjm » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:17 am

Anyone here still using this? I've been using mine for a few months now; I love its feel and vibe, though obviously note some workflow frustrations/cv smoothing annoyances.

My first unit had a defective encoder and they replaced it quickly and in a friendly manner. After reading some of the reviews and experiences here on this thread, it seems like they had quality control problems making this module and it might have just been a hard module for them to "get right" mechanically, once being tested by actual customers. I gather this, plus the success of the tracker, has influenced Polyend to put less into updating the Present, and ultimately releasing the firmware to the users to update and process. I think its a good idea, and could potentially put this module in another tier.

I guess my question is, has anyone been using a preset in their rack? Will there be any interest out there for people to code new firmware?

The Junglechrist
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:13 pm

bjm wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:17 am
I guess my question is, has anyone been using a preset in their rack? Will there be any interest out there for people to code new firmware?
I got one very recently (kindly sent by Polyend for my teaching session I do in France), I really like even tho the key combo for some actions is a real pain in the (é'.

I think it's well thought module, very powerfull to animate existing sequences.

ikkyu666
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ikkyu666 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:25 pm

bjm wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:17 am
Anyone here still using this? I've been using mine for a few months now; I love its feel and vibe, though obviously note some workflow frustrations/cv smoothing annoyances.

My first unit had a defective encoder and they replaced it quickly and in a friendly manner. After reading some of the reviews and experiences here on this thread, it seems like they had quality control problems making this module and it might have just been a hard module for them to "get right" mechanically, once being tested by actual customers. I gather this, plus the success of the tracker, has influenced Polyend to put less into updating the Present, and ultimately releasing the firmware to the users to update and process. I think its a good idea, and could potentially put this module in another tier.

Mine has a defective coder too (just the color doesn't behave, it functions fine). Unfortunately they won't replace it as a bought it used which... is annoying. They didn't offer a fix other than updating the firmware which didn't work.

1n
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 1n » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:14 am

I watched the Loopop Preset demo and when deciding on a sequencer with 'save' function it came down to this and Voltage Block. VB isn't perfect. However, smoothing seemed slightly more effective/playable on VB than Preset, to my ears, and wrangling 3 buttons isn't for me, so i went for VB.

I hope Polyend develop Preset's playability a little bit further in respect of accessibility of functions and smoothing, because I want to make space for it in my case. If they made a standalone version, that might ease up the hp restriction. The excellent Noodlebox sequencer is a good example of standalone playability and visual feedback.

jkanizzle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jkanizzle » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:55 pm

Re: the smoothing (in)capabilities....how's it sound when recording automation say for a filter cutoff? Or recording in an outside LFO? I'm still torn on this product....looks so good in so many ways, yet I figure it's best when limited to particular operations?

second_breakfast
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by second_breakfast » Tue May 04, 2021 9:37 am

Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:59 pm
Just got one, running into a weird issue where the Preset will randomly jump to preset #16 without me touching the pad, especially when trying to pick some other preset. anybody have this happen?

UPDATE: Big props to Polyend for responding to this quickly! Turned out the screw holding the pads together was a smidge too tight. Take the back off, loosen the knob, everything's groovy
Thanks for posting about this. I just got a second Preset and I'm having an issue where it wants to jump off the preset I select and jump to a different preset to the right. I'm hoping this issue I'm having is caused by what you described. I submitted a ticket to Polyend. Waiting for a reply.
Youtube: Second Breakfast Instagram: Sec0nd_Breakfast_ Modular Grid: "The Double Dragon"

2disbetter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 2disbetter » Tue May 04, 2021 3:46 pm

I always thought this was a good idea. Just kind of sad the good idea was hobbled by the lack of negative voltage output. I suppose you could use an offset with it or something, but man would that be tedious.

That said, the idea for this module is brilliant, and this seems to be the best fleshed out version I've seen. :tu:

DJ Tap Water
Common Wiggler

Post by DJ Tap Water » Tue May 04, 2021 3:56 pm

2disbetter wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 3:46 pm
I always thought this was a good idea. Just kind of sad the good idea was hobbled by the lack of negative voltage output. I suppose you could use an offset with it or something, but man would that be tedious.

That said, the idea for this module is brilliant, and this seems to be the best fleshed out version I've seen. :tu:
Inverting an output isnt a big deal to me. Love the module. However what it really should have is proper slew that you can have on a per channel, per step basis. Global slew is a toylike feature. I hope a third party firmware fixes this.

Zijnzijn Zijnzijn!
Common Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! » Wed May 05, 2021 8:38 am

second_breakfast wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:37 am
Thanks for posting about this. I just got a second Preset and I'm having an issue where it wants to jump off the preset I select and jump to a different preset to the right. I'm hoping this issue I'm having is caused by what you described. I submitted a ticket to Polyend. Waiting for a reply.
I ended up selling my preset a while ago but I can definitely confirm this issue never popped up again after the screw fix! Good luck!

second_breakfast
Common Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by second_breakfast » Wed May 05, 2021 12:24 pm

Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 8:38 am
second_breakfast wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:37 am
I ended up selling my preset a while ago but I can definitely confirm this issue never popped up again after the screw fix! Good luck!
Polyend suggested the screw fix for me, too. Happy to report it worked! Easiest module fix ever.
Youtube: Second Breakfast Instagram: Sec0nd_Breakfast_ Modular Grid: "The Double Dragon"

Bachelard
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Polyend Preset - recording cv-in automation

Post by Bachelard » Wed May 19, 2021 2:10 pm

Popemello wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:26 am
So I picked one of these up, and am overall impressed by its potential. I’ve been able to use the record mode to duplicate encoder twists or pad taps via the prescribed method. However, when I bring CV input via the jack (menu option set to ‘R’), the module doesn’t seem to pick up the signal at all. Where the encoder’s brightness varies based on signal when recording in the other 2 methods, through the CV in jack, no change in appearance to the encoder occurs. I’ve used both a planar2(unipolar mode) and voltage block to try to stimulate the CV in...

Is this a known issue? I see also that in ‘GT’ mode, sending a clock signal in doesn’t seem to move the sequence forward. That makes me concerned that there is a physical issue with the CV in port.

Thanks for any advice!

UPDATE:
So I went to update the firmware this morning, but first I just power cycled the unit to test whether it would pick up the CV signal in. To my surprise, the unit flashed a few lights, but didn’t seem to power on. There’s just this ominous red light emanating from between the PCB boards...

So I can’t find any reference to this scenario anywhere. I’ve contacted the manufacturer & the seller hoping for some warranty support.

Still, has anyone heard of this occurrence? Thanks!
Yup, I'm having power issues, occasionally just not powering on. Also, it will randomly not save my presets, and right now the CV input is not working (not scanning through the presets). It also randomly not record automation, but otherwise the encoders seem to all be working. Using latest firmware and have been referring to the manual throughout the day.

Also, does anyone know what the CV input range is? Does it scan through however many presets there are programmed?

Votek_Mendo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Votek_Mendo » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:25 pm

Just got one this week and i like it so far.

Would be so awesome if the polyend preset could have different playback options when advancing with a gate.
I mean backward, pendulum, random, etc
It would really make a difference.

Also being able to use the randomize feature but locking the type of cv that every outputs are generating. If i set all channels to outputs quantized CV its sad that they change to gates or unquantized cv when randomizing.

Last thing would be to have an option to not loop the recorded cv automation/lfo.
That would give the option to have of playing aa an lfo or one shot motion/envelope.

I think these 3 features would be really easy to implement and i really hope we can see that onw day. Would be a blast.
WTB: Publison KB2000 & DHM 89 B2, Vestax Faderboard, Electrospace TIME matrix, Syntovox 221

https://twitter.com/Votek_Mendo
http://soundcloud.com/votek_mendo
http://statigr.am/votek_mendo

Return to “Eurorack Modules”