Voting open for your top 3 tracks in our Odd Meter Remix/ReMangle/Reimagine Challenge

Prizes generously donated by:
ADDAC System (Eurorack 3U)
Endorphin.es (Eurorack 3U)
Fred's Lab (DIY Paraphonic Synth)
Northern Light Modular (Buchla-format h-series OR Eurorack3U)
Rattly and Raw (Wiggler Approved Kontakt Instrument)
Studio.h (Buchla-format 4U)

Get your vote on and free 42 minute modular playlist for your listening pleasure.

Omsonic/dBs Stochastic Inspiration Generator

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

phinland
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Omsonic/dBs Stochastic Inspiration Generator

Post by phinland » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:33 pm

Stealth Panel proofs have just landed!

As requested, it's the standard omsonic panel without any metal, and without the 2nd/3rd function labels...
stealth.jpeg

...but that's not all that's arrived...

...because we also have...
Last edited by phinland on Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phinland
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phinland » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:41 pm

Brand New specially designed SI Panels too! :hyper: :yay: :tu: :nana: :loves:

We've been establishing ourselves as our own company over the last 6 months, so I thought it would be nice to offer an alternative and more SI 'in house' branded panel set to the old omsonic ones. So, very soon, we'll be offering these as an alternative (plus of course also to anyone with the original panels for a small fee).
siBlack.jpeg
siBlue.jpeg
Really hope you like them!

deftinwulf
Veteran Wiggler

Post by deftinwulf » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:18 pm

phinland wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:41 pm
[snip]
Looking really nice, Phinland! I love that new (dark) blue panel! What material(s) are these made from? Is that painted aluminum? :woah:

MARK27
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MARK27 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:32 pm

Nice work, Phin! I like the new SI branded look even better than the Stealth panel!

All that's missing is how to order...

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:10 pm

phinland wrote:

We've been establishing ourselves as our own company over the last 6 months, so I thought it would be nice to offer an alternative and more SI 'in house' branded panel set to the old omsonic ones. So, very soon, we'll be offering these as an alternative (plus of course also to anyone with the original panels for a small fee).

siBlack.jpeg

siBlue.jpeg

Nice! Are these metal?

phinland
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phinland » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:18 am

deftinwulf wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:18 pm
phinland wrote:
Brand New specially designed SI Panels too!
[snip]
Looking really nice, Phinland! I love that new (dark) blue panel! What material(s) are these made from? Is that painted aluminum? :woah:
brandonlogic wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:10 pm
Nice! Are these metal?

Cheers guys! No, it's still PCB material: I haven't seen them in the flesh yet, these pics were sent from Stuart last night. I'm going to get them today to proof them: then we'll get a bigger batch made if people like them (which is at least three of you!) :-)

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:27 am

Make it four. Black, manual on the panel. Nothing not to like.

Exit Chamber
Common Wiggler

Post by Exit Chamber » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:13 am

SI black for me too pls

quantumtheory
1-Post Wiggler

Post by quantumtheory » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:50 am

Stealth black panel request here as well :)

Joe_D
Common Wiggler

Post by Joe_D » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:59 am

As Umcor said, manual on the panel — great labeling on the new panels.

One question: what color will the buttons and knobs be? I’m guessing black, which a lot of people like. But a main point of this “sequencer” (in addition to its stochastic heart) is it’s playability. As you said, it’s meant to be played, which is made explicit by its (understandable) lack of CV control inputs.

It’s pretty hard to see black buttons on a black panel when performing in lower light conditions. So, I’m hoping that either the knobs, buttons, and sliders will be another color (even gray/grey would make it more playable), or the buttons and knobs will be easily available or standard parts that owners can swap out.

Thanks for your responsiveness to user input, which has been excellent. I know you can’t please everybody, and sometimes costs go up when you try. In any case, I’m looking forward to playing this module, hopefully before too long!

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:28 am

Joe_D wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:59 am

It’s pretty hard to see black buttons on a black panel when performing in lower light conditions. So, I’m hoping that either the knobs, buttons, and sliders will be another color (even gray/grey would make it more playable), or the buttons and knobs will be easily available or standard parts that owners can swap out.
Step back a few pages….

https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4#p3509234

Joe_D
Common Wiggler

Post by Joe_D » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:50 am

Thanks, Umcorps.

How are you getting on with the knobs in the upper right corner? They look pretty close together. The other knobs look like they’d be easy to access, as opposing fingers can easily grasp them.

And for some reason, when looking at the pics of the new panels, I forgot that the buttons are lighted (despite having watched the videos), so that’s about as easy to see as could be.

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:41 am

It’s tight in that top corner for sure but it works ok for me. I prefer it to the mini pots which, paradoxically I find harder to tweak when they are packed together in a tight space like that.

Joe_D
Common Wiggler

Post by Joe_D » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:54 am

Umcorps wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:41 am
It’s tight in that top corner for sure but it works ok for me. I prefer it to the mini pots which, paradoxically I find harder to tweak when they are packed together in a tight space like that.
Thanks. It is easier to fine trim larger knobs for sure. If you grasp a large knob with an opposing finger and thumb, a rotate your fingertips by, say, half a millimeter, you are turning it considerably less degrees than if you grasped a tiny knob and moved you fingertips the same half millimeter. Sounds like you know that, but I don’t know if everyone thinks that through.

ScottMacey
1-Post Wiggler

Post by ScottMacey » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:26 am

Hi Phin,

New panels look superb. Much more classy in my opinion. I’ll be requesting the new black panel with annotations when you get to my place in the queue!!!

:spin:

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:52 pm

Been at the heart of every patch since I got it

Would love to hear some more users patches!

WarpHead
Veteran Wiggler

Post by WarpHead » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:36 am

Mine just arrived. Looking forward to installing it asap! Can't express how excited I am! Phin has the patience of a saint and was very helpful and accommodating throughout -- many, many thanks!

Now to look for a suitable 3.5mm trs to ts splitter...

Maybe a 3.5mm male trs to 2x 3.5mm female ts might be best, since then you can just plug the trs into the SIG and patch any cable from the modular into the female connectors, instead of being limited by the length of the cable of a splitter at its 2x male ends.
Don't believe the hype.

phinland
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phinland » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:35 am

Umcorps wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:27 am
Make it four. Black, manual on the panel. Nothing not to like.
Exit Chamber wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:13 am
SI black for me too pls
MARK27 wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:32 pm
Nice work, Phin! I like the new SI branded look even better than the Stealth panel!
Thanks all! And, "manual on the panel" is a great phrase! (Might have to steal that with a credit of course!)
MARK27 wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:32 pm
All that's missing is how to order!
Don't worry: if you already have your SIG just get hold of me at the site, and if you don't yet, you'll be offered when I get to you.

Please note, we don't have stocks for the SI panel [i[just[/i] yet, we only ordered 5 proofs. However, we'll have a load of them very soon.
Last edited by phinland on Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

phinland
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phinland » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:40 am

quantumtheory wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:50 am
Stealth black panel request here as well :)
Ah, really sorry everyone, I'm afraid these are still going to be a little way off (although the SI ones will be much faster).

The reason is because I was hoping the graphics would be an 'embossed' shade of black but they are just 'bare' FR4 board substrate material. This is because we weren't sure how our fab house would interpret the Gerbers we sent. The mockup render looked good but it turns out doing the effect I wanted was much more labour intensive. It's still doable, and at least I no know how to achieve it in the CAD program, but it's just going to take me a long time.

I'll update as soon as they're done.

But, as I say, SI panels will be available very soon, and standard panels of course always are.

Cheers,
Phin

phinland
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phinland » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:42 am

ScottMacey wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:26 am
Hi Phin,

New panels look superb. Much more classy in my opinion. I’ll be requesting the new black panel with annotations when you get to my place in the queue!!!

:spin:
Wow, thank you! I'm actually really pleased with how they turned out, and this will hopefully establish our 'house style' for forthcoming modules. Cheers!

phinland
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phinland » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:51 am

Joe_D wrote:
As Umcor said, manual on the panel — great labeling on the new panels.
Cheers dude! And, yes, great phrase isn't it?!
Joe_D wrote:
One question: what color will the buttons and knobs be? I’m guessing black, which a lot of people like. But a main point of this “sequencer” (in addition to its stochastic heart) is it’s playability. As you said, it’s meant to be played, which is made explicit by its (understandable) lack of CV control inputs.
Yes, black but don't forget that the 'key sliders' light up, so you'll always be able to tell the note your on. In addition, some people put a tiny dab of correction fluid/TipEx in the pointer recess on the circular knobs which can help. All that said, I've gigged with SIG loads in pretty low light and it's never been an issue :-)
Joe_D wrote:
Yes, would be great, but I'm afraid it's just not possible to find the parts. Very few people even make linear sliders with LEDs in and thus the colour options are 'classic Ford': you can have any colour as long as it's black.
Joe_D wrote:
Thanks for your responsiveness to user input, which has been excellent. I know you can’t please everybody, and sometimes costs go up when you try. In any case, I’m looking forward to playing this module, hopefully before too long!
No problem at all, it's what I'm here for (and sorry this reply wasn't actually as quick as I like, but I've been snowed with jury duty and the start of the academic year all coming at the same time!)

Cheers,
Phin

phinland
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phinland » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:57 am

WarpHead wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:36 am
Mine just arrived. Looking forward to installing it asap! Can't express how excited I am!
Fantastic! Really glad to hear you like it! :banana: :nana:
WarpHead wrote:
Phin has the patience of a saint and was very helpful and accommodating throughout -- many, many thanks!
Haha!! I try... ;) But seriously, it's my pleasure, and the least I can do with all the incredible support you guys are showing us and SIG.

WarpHead wrote:
Maybe a 3.5mm male trs to 2x 3.5mm female ts might be best, since then you can just plug the trs into the SIG and patch any cable from the modular into the female connectors, instead of being limited by the length of the cable of a splitter at its 2x male ends.
Ah, remember you need something that's going to LITERALLY split the T and the R of the TRS into two TS, so a mini-jack 'insert' cable or Left/Right splitter, NOT a headphone duplicator you'd use to share an iPod feed.

And, if you find a good one, let us know!

skysaw
Common Wiggler

Post by skysaw » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:48 am

brandonlogic wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:52 pm
Been at the heart of every patch since I got it

Brilliant stuff!

RecycleYourPets
Common Wiggler

Post by RecycleYourPets » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:01 pm

phinland wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:57 am
WarpHead wrote:
Ah, remember you need something that's going to LITERALLY split the T and the R of the TRS into two TS, so a mini-jack 'insert' cable or Left/Right splitter, NOT a headphone duplicator you'd use to share an iPod feed.

And, if you find a good one, let us know!
I believe the Hosa YMM-261 is a safe bet for a good one to use

They make a right angle one for trs-> rca but I am on the lookout for the trs->ts version

WarpHead
Veteran Wiggler

Post by WarpHead » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:24 pm

Excellent find - that looks like just the ticket!
Don't believe the hype.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”