Voting open for your top 3 tracks in our Odd Meter Remix/ReMangle/Reimagine Challenge

Prizes generously donated by:
ADDAC System (Eurorack 3U)
Endorphin.es (Eurorack 3U)
Fred's Lab (DIY Paraphonic Synth)
Northern Light Modular (Buchla-format h-series OR Eurorack3U)
Rattly and Raw (Wiggler Approved Kontakt Instrument)
Studio.h (Buchla-format 4U)

Get your vote on and free 42 minute modular playlist for your listening pleasure.

Omsonic/dBs Stochastic Inspiration Generator

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Omsonic/dBs Stochastic Inspiration Generator

Post by brandonlogic » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:44 pm

I just got mine (+the expander) and got it racked up and had my first evening with it. its a lot of fun! Got into it and figured out most functions without even needing the manual. I'll make a youtube vid at some point.
normally i'm not a fan of multifunctional knobs/faders but it works out fine in this case. the user interface is actually pretty nice. I can tell its a keeper and i will get along great with it.

The concept of this module is just so perfect for me. I love generative/probabilistic/random generated patterns, and already have Mutable Marbles (x2) and turing machine, and this complements them nicely as its a totally different approach.

Electro Something
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Electro Something » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:37 pm

ohhhh just got my email confirmation from Phin! Can't wait to get the module I've been drooling over for like a year now. w00t!

phinland
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phinland » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:23 pm

brandonlogic wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:44 pm
I just got mine (+the expander) and got it racked up and had my first evening with it. its a lot of fun! Got into it and figured out most functions without even needing the manual. I'll make a youtube vid at some point.
normally i'm not a fan of multifunctional knobs/faders but it works out fine in this case. the user interface is actually pretty nice. I can tell its a keeper and i will get along great with it.

The concept of this module is just so perfect for me. I love generative/probabilistic/random generated patterns, and already have Mutable Marbles (x2) and turing machine, and this complements them nicely as its a totally different approach.
Fantastic! So pleased you like it! :-)

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:26 pm

Someday I hope to be a lucky fellow telling you all how much I love mine!

I know- you’re building them as fast as you can, and I can be patient...

Exit Chamber
Common Wiggler

Post by Exit Chamber » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:18 am

Any hints on how long it is likely to take to get through the remaining back log? I understand that even rough dates are challenging right now, but are we looking at weeks or months? I have a large birthday coming up soon and would quite like to take the opportunity to demand one of these from my family for it :D

phinland
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phinland » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:34 pm

Exit Chamber wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:18 am
Any hints on how long it is likely to take to get through the remaining back log? I understand that even rough dates are challenging right now, but are we looking at weeks or months? I have a large birthday coming up soon and would quite like to take the opportunity to demand one of these from my family for it :D
Well it depends what you mean by 'backlog' — we completed the original omsonic list several weeks ago now. We are now working through the (much shorter) 'transition' list (i.e. very late 2020/early 2021) when Stuart and I were setting up the company but before we'd gone public with it. We then start on the list of people who've come to us as SI, many of whom through this thread.

That too is shorter than the omsonic one (because it's only had about 5 months to accrue rather than a year and a half!) but there is still a limit to the number we can make in one block. That said, we put in a massive order that we now have in stock ready for THT completion with our new UK completion service so things are progressing very nicely.

As you'll all now know(!) I'm not going to put a number on that, but I think 'several weeks' (not several months) is a fair bet to get to the end of that—and of course, dear reader, that doesn't mean yours is 'several weeks away' because it depends on when you contacted us. Your's, reader, may well be only days away :-)

Cheers,
Phin

Exit Chamber
Common Wiggler

Post by Exit Chamber » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:19 am

Cool, that's all encouraging stuff :tu:

What's the best way to get on the list, contact form on the website? Or at this stage am I as well just waiting for the general sales?

akavalve
Wiggling with Experience

Post by akavalve » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:35 pm

I just realized that the loop length (or rather start and end points) have a visual representation of state using the front panel leds. I'd thought loop length was a blind setting using the tempo and 1/16 knobs. I'm sure I missed this in the manual. Being able to visualize the length is makes playing around with a captured loop a real pleasure. I've been messing with one captured loop on one channel for an hour now and expect to be here for another one at least. And capturing the portamento too makes it more of a riff loop than a simple melody loop. Really nice.

phinland
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phinland » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:03 pm

Exit Chamber wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:19 am
What's the best way to get on the list, contact form on the website? Or at this stage am I as well just waiting for the general sales?
Definitely contact us (web form). It means you have a place on the list if we serve that in order or will be notified as soon as the full public free-for-all kicks off (i.e. either way, you'll get yours quicker) :-)

phinland
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phinland » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:07 pm

akavalve wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:35 pm
I just realized that the loop length (or rather start and end points) have a visual representation of state using the front panel leds. I'd thought loop length was a blind setting using the tempo and 1/16 knobs. I'm sure I missed this in the manual. Being able to visualize the length is makes playing around with a captured loop a real pleasure. I've been messing with one captured loop on one channel for an hour now and expect to be here for another one at least. And capturing the portamento too makes it more of a riff loop than a simple melody loop. Really nice.
Great to hear! Yes, the loop instructions (and the bit about display) are all on pages 7 and 8. And don't forget that you can run the loop backwards (retrograde) by placing the end point before the start point: the LEDs will then blink to indicate you're in reverse loop mode.

Glad you like that the portamento capture too—in fact, every event parameter is captured in the loop (Attack, Decay, Ratchet, Portamento, Legato, octave, duration etc.) so you really are capturing the fully formed riff as you say, not just the melody! :-)

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:03 pm

Here's a quick simple first demo patch, controlling four voices.

bentoncbainbridge
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bentoncbainbridge » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:35 pm

phinland wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:03 pm
Exit Chamber wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:19 am
Definitely contact us (web form). It means you have a place on the list if we serve that in order or will be notified as soon as the full public free-for-all kicks off (i.e. either way, you'll get yours quicker) :-)
I send a web form request, thanks for putting us on the list!
video synthesis demos playlist: http://shorturl.at/corJV

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:54 am

Capturing a sequence then manipulating the start and endpoints of the loop

Bignorthumbrian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bignorthumbrian » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:44 pm

brandonlogic wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:54 am
WANT…
here hare here!

phinland
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phinland » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:04 am

brandonlogic wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:54 am
Wow, WOW, WOW!

My phone started going crazy last night with Web Form requests and I couldn't work out why. I then saw an email from another customer telling me to check out your vid on FB...and then a good friend from dBs sent me the Synthtopia link! https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2021 ... s-on-demo/

Absolutely scintillating work. I'm so, so pleased.

Seeing you (and all you guys!) use our little machine like this makes everything a thousand times worth it.

Thank you, thank you, thank you: incredible stuff. :-)

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:36 am

phinland wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:04 am

My phone started going crazy last night with Web Form requests and I couldn't work out why. I then saw an email from another customer telling me to check out your vid on FB...and then a good friend from dBs sent me the Synthtopia link! https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2021 ... s-on-demo/

Absolutely scintillating work. I'm so, so pleased.

Seeing you (and all you guys!) use our little machine like this makes everything a thousand times worth it.

Thank you, thank you, thank you: incredible stuff. :-)
thanks!!! only the beginning! such an inspiriting machine, there will be more to come for sure!

Excited to get into some of the deeper functions next!

Flamusic
Common Wiggler

Post by Flamusic » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:23 pm

Is there no reset input ?
I can imagine that i will not need one because the notes are random more or less.
But when i loop a passage and like it but have to stop the sequencer would a reset not be a good option ?

phinland
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phinland » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:40 pm

Flamusic wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:23 pm
Is there no reset input ?
I can imagine that i will not need one because the notes are random more or less.
But when i loop a passage and like it but have to stop the sequencer would a reset not be a good option ?
I don't quite know what you mean by a 'reset' in this context. There is what we call a 'barline' input which forces a new randomisation and therefore establishes an implied downbeat by its regularity. This also works on the loop. If you wanted the loop to 'reset' on start, then you could give it a barline (TRS Ring) trig in time with hitting start or, better, use an external clock to do this (so SIG waits for the next clock in 'standby') while in external clocking mode. I use two channels of Pamala's New Workout to achieve this.

tokidoki
Common Wiggler

Post by tokidoki » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:49 pm

I watched the two last demo videos. Great module.
Does it offer transposition of the polyphonic sequences through a dedicated CV input ?

ŘłB23³
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ŘłB23³ » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:44 pm

So I tried to go to the SI site and get on the list but I can't seem to do that? Not sure if I'm missing something or maybe it's full at the moment? Anyway I'd very much like to get one w the expander
Thanks for any information.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:19 pm

It’s just the contact form-

https://www.stochasticinstruments.com/contact

phinland
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phinland » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:52 am

tokidoki wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:49 pm
I watched the two last demo videos. Great module.
Does it offer transposition of the polyphonic sequences through a dedicated CV input ?
Thanks @tokidoki ! No, SIG's only inputs are the Clk and Barline trigger ins, but it's trivial to do transposition by just patching its output to a precision adder/quantizer or, even better, combine two SIG channels in a 1:1 CV adder for probabilistic transposition! :-)

phinland
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phinland » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:53 am

ŘłB23³ wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:44 pm
So I tried to go to the SI site and get on the list but I can't seem to do that? Not sure if I'm missing something or maybe it's full at the moment? Anyway I'd very much like to get one w the expander
Thanks for any information.
Yes (thanks @zymos) just hit me up at the Contact form and I'll add you :-)

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:50 pm

Channel 1 is creating the bassline sequence and that cv is split and mixed with channel 2 for the arpeggiated transposed sequence.

phinland
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phinland » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:10 am

brandonlogic wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:50 pm
Channel 1 is creating the bassline sequence and that cv is split and mixed with channel 2 for the arpeggiated transposed sequence.
Absolutely killing it with the Advanced Stochastic Cookbook action! :-)

Makes the point really well that, even in systems with fewer than 4 VCOs or voices, the Expander is still an immensely powerful addition to SIG. We've only this week had one of the handful of customers since we started (seriously, like 3) who didn't go for the Expander in their initial order and then came straight back to us after only a couple of days on SIG and ordered it. It always works out much cheeper to order the pair than separately because we can bundle the postage. Together they don't kick the shipping into the next postage price tier (i.e. bought as a pair, EXP effectively ships for free).

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”