Voting open for your top 3 tracks in our Odd Meter Remix/ReMangle/Reimagine Challenge

Prizes generously donated by:
ADDAC System (Eurorack 3U)
Endorphin.es (Eurorack 3U)
Fred's Lab (DIY Paraphonic Synth)
Northern Light Modular (Buchla-format h-series OR Eurorack3U)
Rattly and Raw (Wiggler Approved Kontakt Instrument)
Studio.h (Buchla-format 4U)

Get your vote on and free 42 minute modular playlist for your listening pleasure.

Omsonic/dBs Stochastic Inspiration Generator

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

phinland
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Omsonic/dBs Stochastic Inspiration Generator

Post by phinland » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:05 pm

Umcorps wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:33 am
Been experimenting with time signatures today but I’m not sure I’ve understood the manual correctly.

When setting the note count (latch Run and turn tempo) the note sliders are the first to light on my unit. Meaning that all the sliders have to be lit before the octave LEDs go on. The manual says that the octave LEDs should light first.

So for me to force 4/4 I’m assuming I need to just have the first 4 note sliders lit? Bar length divisors set using the 1/16th pot work as described in the manual.

Or have I confused myself? It wouldn’t be the first time…
No, I think this is actually a manual typo on my part! :doh:

They used to light octaves first, now they light notes first. I'm going to look at this over the weekend, but essentially, as long as you count the note/octave lights (wherever they start) that gives you the top number in the time sig, and the durations give you the bottom.

Apologies for my inattention, 'twill be sorted very soon.

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:10 pm

This would explained why I’ve been exploring 15/4 recently :)

Mad_Rasputin
Common Wiggler

Post by Mad_Rasputin » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:28 pm

Crazy. I put the melodicer up on reverb on a lark, and someone bought it immediately. About to ship it out right now. Now I just have to try to not buy anything else while I wait for the SIG...

Which means I need to get out of here ASAP! Lol
:omg: My anus.. is bleeding!

:cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: Yayyyyy!

Tboy
Common Wiggler

Post by Tboy » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:34 am

phinland wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:02 pm

Ah, I see: the reason is because we are not selling it through stores, because we are aiming to keep the price as low as we possibly can for you all. Distributer charge a commission, and in order to maintain our already very thin margins we would have to charge more to cover this. So, by far, the cheapest way for all of us is to do it direct with us! :-)
Thanks for taking the time Phin. Talking about direct; it’s a long way away, but I might be in Plymouth next summer. Would it be possible to pick it up there?

phinland
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phinland » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:33 am

Tboy wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:34 am
Thanks for taking the time Phin. Talking about direct; it’s a long way away, but I might be in Plymouth next summer. Would it be possible to pick it up there?
Haha, no way?! Yes of course! Would be great to meet you! The only thing I'd say is that I'd hope to be at your name in the list (even if you haven't signed up yet!) way, way, waaaaay before next year. :-)

phinland
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phinland » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:34 am

Umcorps wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:10 pm
This would explained why I’ve been exploring 15/4 recently :)
Hahaha! See? It was a ploy all along to get people thinking out of 4/4

phinland
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phinland » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:45 am

Manual Erratum

I have just corrected the manual, prompted by @Umcorps and another customer by email, who were confused by the time signature display.

This was entirely my fault: the old omsonic SIG displayed the top number (the '3' say in 3/4 waltz time) by lighting LEDs from the top (octaves) down to the notes. We changed that in the SI SIG so it now numbers them from the (bottom) notes up because it seemed more intuitive. However, guess who forgot to update the manual to reflect this change...

:doh: :bang: :sstorm:

Many apologies if you were confused by this. To be absolutely clear though, it was only the manual that was wrong, not SIG, and the issue was display direction only: if the lights say 3/4 (wherever end you're counting from!) then you're still waltzing.

Again, to be really clear, nothing has changed, no firmware updates are needed or anything of the sort.

phinland
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phinland » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:38 am

SIG Stealth Edition

Hi everyone, I know a while back there was some discussion about SIG's panel graphics. As we said, I, and almost everyone else absolutely loves them, but a very small number of people wondered if they were a bit full on. The upshot was that I stuck to my guns, and we continue to get amazing customer feedback.

However, I was chatting with a potential customer on FB and he reported that for him it wasn't just aesthetic: it was actually a 'visual stress' cognitive overload issue, enough to make it hard to use. This is quite different from aesthetics, one to which can relate (I'm profoundly dyslexic and words strobe all over the place for me), and an issue to which I think I should have been more sensitive, sooner (so apologies for that).

'Neurodiversity' as it's now called is an important aspect to the lecturing I do and it would be a poor show if SI didn't echo those sentiments, so I've some up with a much more muted version of the panel. All the graphics are retained but not as white gold, rather in negative relief to the background, and the small 2ry/3ry function writing has been removed.
SIG_STEALTHv2.png
I'm going to do a minimum run of panels so this customer has one when we get to him, but I'm wondering what the appetite is more generally as an alternative faceplate (like we offer with the ordinary black vs blue ones)?

As I say, I wouldn't generally do this for purely aesthetic reasons (design by committee rarely works, and our company aesthetic is our company aesthetic) but a) as I've explained, this is different and b) they do look rather snazzy.

What do we think?
Last edited by phinland on Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mad_Rasputin
Common Wiggler

Post by Mad_Rasputin » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:53 am

I much prefer the original, tbh, but it’s hard to say for certain without seeing them both in actual module form. At this point you could make them in Chinese and I’d buy it immediately And get to work learning the symbols

Mad_Rasputin
Common Wiggler

Post by Mad_Rasputin » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:10 am

Just a thought, but you could also provide the “stealth” 🥷 option as simply a faceplate available for purchase that customers could swap out themselves. I’ve done this with a couple 4MS and XAOC faceplates (going for that all black rack..), and it was pretty easy, as soon as I located and purchased the right tool (knurled nut driver). And I’m pretty damn far from what you would call “good with tools”.

MARK27
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MARK27 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:40 pm

OMG -- I LOVE the Stealth edition panels! That is exactly the kind of vibe I look for.

I'm so glad I waited to get my SIG!!!

auxpin
Common Wiggler

Post by auxpin » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:59 pm

phinland wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:38 am
SIG Stealth Edition

What do we think?

:tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:

Yes please, for all the reasons you personally mentioned Phin
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
dual.bandcamp.com
- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:20 pm

I much prefer the original panels.

Buyakasoundman
Common Wiggler

Post by Buyakasoundman » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:31 pm

+1 for the Stealth.

jschussler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jschussler » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:45 pm

+1 for Stealth

JRC
Common Wiggler

Post by JRC » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:43 pm

+1 Stealth!

Professor 909
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Professor 909 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:54 pm

Just arrived. I quite like the non-stealth panel (but understand the reason for offering an alternative), as well as the first-rate new-module scent!

Mad_Rasputin
Common Wiggler

Post by Mad_Rasputin » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:07 pm

I don’t think I’ve had GAS this bad ever. I’m totally going to end up buying 2 of these. I can only imagine the stuff you could get out of that combo by running one at half the clock speed of the other. After this, there’s going to be a moratorium on purchases (except for the new Stillson Hammer, whenever that comes out. I need more sliders in my life.)

phinland
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phinland » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:27 am

Two Big Milestones

Some excellent news for you lovely people.
First, yesterday we cleared the omsonic waiting list. :yay: :chug:

So, what now: are we at open public sales yet?

Not quite. We have a number of applications that omsonic sent to us from around the transition period (i.e. after he sent us his 'historical' list which was 2019 to the end of 2020). We don't have dates for these, but were all received within a month of each other (basically 01/01/21 +/- 2 weeks) so we'll just work through those in the order we got them.

We also have all the enquiries to be added to the public sales list, some of whom, dear readers, will be you guys. I'm considering the fairest way to deal with this. We could just do small batches and put them for unrestricted sale on the site (i.e. first come first served) but then people who have waited so patiently since Feb for us to clear the omsonic list might miss out. My feeling therefore is that again, the fairest thing is to work through this list in order too so that's what we're going to do. In essence, if you're waiting for one, we are getting closer to you, wherever you are in the line, with every day that passes...so, I'll be emailing you soon!

Obviously once that's cleared there will continue to be sales and we're looking at that, but in the mean time I want to make sure everything is as fair as possible.

Second, we have found an excellent, UK-based, local company to complete our THT manufacture. This is freeing Stuart up greatly and increasing our capacity to get things out, which of course in turns also means you'll be getting your SIGs faster.

So, all in all, this means things are moving even faster now.

Cheers,
Phin

oakwood
Common Wiggler

Post by oakwood » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:38 pm

:stardance:

(i'm not on any list, but someday i hope to score a SIG!)

phinland
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phinland » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:22 pm

oakwood wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:38 pm
:stardance:
(i'm not on any list, but someday i hope to score a SIG!)
Ah, best thing to do is to get on the list - just hit me up via the contact page on the site! :-)

phinland
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phinland » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:42 pm

p.s.

I should have added: if you first contacted omsonic in 2019 or 2020 (i.e. before 2021) but have not yet heard from us, then please...

1) check your junk mail folder and
2) get in touch with me via the contact form on the site, including the original email you sent to omsonic (with headers)

If we've missed you I can only apologise on omsonic's behalf as you weren't on the list we were given.
Don't worry though, we will rush you your SIG and EXP!

Cheers,
Phin

Mad_Rasputin
Common Wiggler

Post by Mad_Rasputin » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:18 am

how long are we looking at now for those of us who were added to the new list in the past several months? is that list significantly larger or smaller than the other one you just finished? I'm super excited to finally get my hands on this big beautiful beast!

Also, since you would be the best person to ask, have you experimented with 2 of these together, maybe having 1 run at half the clock rate of the other? Just curious if you think that it might possibly be worth exploring..

phinland
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phinland » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:13 am

Mad_Rasputin wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:18 am
how long are we looking at now for those of us who were added to the new list in the past several months? is that list significantly larger or smaller than the other one you just finished?
Well, the 'new' list is a healthy length but we have taken on new manufacturing help so I'm confident this will clear in good time. As I always, much though I'd like to, I simply can't speculate on exact wait times. The world is too complex and multidimensional for me to be able to say with any confidence that list position X = getting your SIG on date Y.

As above, we are now through the 'first' omsonic list (everyone between 2019 and December 31st 2020). We are now doing the shorter 'second' omsonic list, people who contacted him after we took over as SI but before we actually went public with the SI website. This runs from 1st Jan 2021 to 31st Jan 2021. Finally, it's then the SI list (everyone from 1st Feb to present). You're close to the top of that one (you contacted us on 18/03/21).

Mad_Rasputin wrote:
I'm super excited to finally get my hands on this big beautiful beast!
Many thanks for the kind words! 1) don't worry, you will get a SIG + EXP and 2) don't worry, it will be pretty soon now (and should definitely not be 'months' plural) . :-)

Mad_Rasputin wrote:
Also, since you would be the best person to ask, have you experimented with 2 of these together, maybe having 1 run at half the clock rate of the other? Just curious if you think that it might possibly be worth exploring..
Yes I have, and it's astonishing. But don't forget, if you have the EXP then you can do this across 2 tracks anyway (2 at full speed, 2 at 'half speed' just by changing the duration values.

Cheers,
Phin

phinland
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phinland » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:04 pm

SIG User Panel Mech Files

With all the talk about Stealth Panels (we're getting these made up very soon, had to tend to other things) and another customer designing some amazing alternative panels off their own bat, I've created public-facing mech files for the SIG and Expander with all of the dimensions on them. If you're interested, please head here and take a look!

https://www.stochasticinstruments.com/manuals-support

Cheers,
Phin

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”