Voting open for your top 3 tracks in our Odd Meter Remix/ReMangle/Reimagine Challenge

Prizes generously donated by:
ADDAC System (Eurorack 3U)
Endorphin.es (Eurorack 3U)
Fred's Lab (DIY Paraphonic Synth)
Northern Light Modular (Buchla-format h-series OR Eurorack3U)
Rattly and Raw (Wiggler Approved Kontakt Instrument)
Studio.h (Buchla-format 4U)

Get your vote on and free 42 minute modular playlist for your listening pleasure.

Omsonic/dBs Stochastic Inspiration Generator

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Joe_D
Common Wiggler

Re: Omsonic/dBs Stochastic Inspiration Generator

Post by Joe_D » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:27 am

I'm wondering if any "stealth panels" or "manual on the panel" versions have made it out into the wild? Anyone have pics of the assembled units? Or even better, videos?

phinland
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phinland » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:53 am

feelingthin wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:55 pm
How are the mini pots on this guy? Are they wobbly or can they be fitted with some actual knobs?
The pots are very high quality and do not wobble at all. They are small to permit the compact 18hp footprint but are still spaced easily far enough apart to be very easily usable. And, as you can see above, if you still really want something chunkier they can be capped with alternatives.

phinland
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phinland » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:54 am

Joe_D wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:27 am
I'm wondering if any "stealth panels" or "manual on the panel" versions have made it out into the wild? Anyone have pics of the assembled units? Or even better, videos?
We've been very busy fulfilling demand so while there are a very small number of these in the wild, I still have to get a larger batch done of the new panels, but that's coming soon.

auxpin
Common Wiggler

Post by auxpin » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:37 am

phinland wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:54 am
Joe_D wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:27 am
We've been very busy fulfilling demand so while there are a very small number of these in the wild, I still have to get a larger batch done of the new panels, but that's coming soon.
:tu:
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
dual.bandcamp.com
- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sweetfiltersweep
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:24 am

My first video with SIG:

ol-longneck
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ol-longneck » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:05 am

ive got one in the mail making its way over to me. looking forward trying it out!

Sweetfiltersweep
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:07 am

I have experienced the following at least two times in my few days with SIG:

I set the note length to longer durations than 1’16th notes, but SIG keeps generating only steady 1/16 notes, as you can see from the activity led for channel 4. After a global reset, different note lengths were generated as expected.

Is there maybe some setting where this is possible? I’m new to SIG, so maybe I’m overlooking something.

Sweetfiltersweep
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:13 am

Btw, this is the “Just-learning-prequel” to the first video. :-)

phinland
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phinland » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:33 pm

Sweetfiltersweep wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:24 am
My first video with SIG:
Wow! I love this! And thank you for doing the fantastic text overlay! :-)

One tiny point on the text at 0:45: you're dead right that we want you to be playing SIG (and I'm thrilled to hear you doing that!) but don't forget that it does have memories! (Or rather a memory singular: just hold Loop and press Run when the unit is stopped and you'll save everything—all probability settings and loops on all tracks!)

A brilliant, beautiful and instructive video! Thank you so much! :-)

phinland
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phinland » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:47 pm

Sweetfiltersweep wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:07 am

I set the note length to longer durations than 1’16th notes, but SIG keeps generating only steady 1/16 notes, as you can see from the activity led for channel 4. After a global reset, different note lengths were generated as expected.

Is there maybe some setting where this is possible? I’m new to SIG, so maybe I’m overlooking something.
No, it's almost certainly not a bug: there are quite a few SIGs out there now and we've not had any reports at all of issues. It will be a settings thing, and I know a couple of things that would produce that behaviour but the video is very quick so without further context I couldn't say which.

If the other durations are only up a little bit 1/16 will still come through: this is totally normal operation, see manual p.6 on Default Durations. I don't think it's this though because the other durations are lighting up and being selected. That suggests that SIG is either set to a bar length of 1 over 16 in which case all events longer than 1/16 will be truncated to 1/16: see p.10. Or, related to this, you've got an external barline coming in on the ring of the clock input which again is set to 1/16: bottom of p.10.

If I know a little more context as to how you set it that will help me help you diagnose what's happening. Happy to do here or by email :-)

Sweetfiltersweep
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:44 am

phinland wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:33 pm
Sweetfiltersweep wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:24 am
My first video with SIG:
Wow! I love this! And thank you for doing the fantastic text overlay! :-)

One tiny point on the text at 0:45: you're dead right that we want you to be playing SIG (and I'm thrilled to hear you doing that!) but don't forget that it does have memories! (Or rather a memory singular: just hold Loop and press Run when the unit is stopped and you'll save everything—all probability settings and loops on all tracks!)

A brilliant, beautiful and instructive video! Thank you so much! :-)
Hi Phin, thanks for your answer. The “hold Loop and press Run when the unit is stopped and you'll save everything” is a great time saving function. :-)

Sweetfiltersweep
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:48 am

phinland wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:47 pm
Sweetfiltersweep wrote:

No, it's almost certainly not a bug: there are quite a few SIGs out there now and we've not had any reports at all of issues. It will be a settings thing, and I know a couple of things that would produce that behaviour but the video is very quick so without further context I couldn't say which.

If the other durations are only up a little bit 1/16 will still come through: this is totally normal operation, see manual p.6 on Default Durations. I don't think it's this though because the other durations are lighting up and being selected. That suggests that SIG is either set to a bar length of 1 over 16 in which case all events longer than 1/16 will be truncated to 1/16: see p.10. Or, related to this, you've got an external barline coming in on the ring of the clock input which again is set to 1/16: bottom of p.10.

If I know a little more context as to how you set it that will help me help you diagnose what's happening. Happy to do here or by email :-)
Thanks for the support. There was no external barline coming. I will make sure to test and communicate the settings if such a thing happens again.

drGrov
Learning to Wiggle

Post by drGrov » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:37 am

Sweetfiltersweep wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:48 am
phinland wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:47 pm
Sweetfiltersweep wrote:

Thanks for the support. There was no external barline coming. I will make sure to test and communicate the settings if such a thing happens again.
Another thing to check is the ratchet probability. If that's turned up high, the SIG will favour generating 16th notes regardless of the actual duration picked.

phinland
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phinland » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:43 pm

drGrov wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:37 am
Another thing to check is the ratchet probability. If that's turned up high, the SIG will favour generating 16th notes regardless of the actual duration picked.
Oh! Good point! Forgot that one! That too!! Actually, given @Sweetfiltersweep says there was no External Barline, that's by far the most likely explanation! Thanks for reminding me how my own invention works!! :hihi: :doh:

Sweetfiltersweep
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:29 am

A new video clip:

phinland
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phinland » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:57 am

Sweetfiltersweep wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:29 am
A new video clip:
Another great clip, thanks dude, linked on the site! :-)

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:10 am

A little experiment just to see if it worked or not.

Using SIG to ping both channels of a Meng Qi Wingie and jamming with them both.

Could really do with smaller hands at times. Otherwise it was fun.

Lower "manual" of Wingie is in polyphonic mode. Upper is in bell mode. As well as pinging that, SIG is triggering a lead voice in Mi Plaits and the (divided) clock out is syncing the drone modulations from 4ms ENOsc

phinland
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phinland » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:33 am

Umcorps wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:10 am
A little experiment just to see if it worked or not.
Using SIG to ping both channels of a Meng Qi Wingie and jamming with them both.
Beautiful! And lovely harmonic implications from the little micro keyboard!

See people?! It really is a duet when you have a SIG going! ;)

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:48 pm

Just popping into the thread to say what a brilliant module this is! I’ve only spent a few hours with it so far, but I mostly know my way around. The UI is really well thought out. I love how A,D,P etc stand for 5 functions when holding Run, and a different 5 when holding Loop, all with the same initials. Though I do still need a cheat sheet to know which functions are with which button.

If there is any drawback, it’s how 4 channels share the same physical controls, so slider and knob position may not correspond to the current values. But the trade off- 4 channels!

Though I can’t help wishing for some voltage control- hey, it’s Eurorack!- I do accept the design philosophy. And this is very playable. You can equate the note sliders to a keyboard, just one where instead of pressing a key, you move a slider up or down. And everything else is easily tweakable too.

Is the firmware updatable? I was thinking it might be nice to be able to pick between attack/decay being absolute values vs relative to the length of the step. Also wondering about some kind of universal mode, where edits apply to parameters of all tracks. Just thinking wishfully- this thing seems perfect just as it is.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:26 pm

Here’s an example- sounds coming from Loquelic, Orgone Accumlator and Quad Operator

DJ Tap Water
Common Wiggler

Post by DJ Tap Water » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:57 am

But, no rests, only change clock divisions? It's crying out for a random skip feature. This VS Melodicer?

WarpHead
Veteran Wiggler

Post by WarpHead » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:02 am

DJ Tap Water wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:57 am
But, no rests, only change clock divisions? It's crying out for a random skip feature. This VS Melodicer?
There are various ways to get 'rests.' This has been discussed multiple times here previously. RTFM. :hihi:
Don't believe the hype.

DJ Tap Water
Common Wiggler

Post by DJ Tap Water » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:05 am

WarpHead wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:02 am
DJ Tap Water wrote:
There are various ways to get 'rests.' This has been discussed multiple times here previously. RTFM. :hihi:
Sorry! You're right. All the videos I watched, there were no rests...
Cool module but im leaning towards the Melodicer, because i don't like the button combos. Portamento is nice tho...

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:49 am

DJ Tap Water wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:05 am
WarpHead wrote:
DJ Tap Water wrote:
Cool module but im leaning towards the Melodicer, because i don't like the button combos. Portamento is nice tho...
4 separate channels with the expander on the SIG is a HUGE deal though.
If you go with melodicer, get four of them. :lol:

DJ Tap Water
Common Wiggler

Post by DJ Tap Water » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:04 am

brandonlogic wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:49 am
DJ Tap Water wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:05 am
WarpHead wrote:
DJ Tap Water wrote:
4 separate channels with the expander on the SIG is a HUGE deal though.
If you go with melodicer, get four of them. :lol:
I dislike modules with multiple channels you switch between, so I wouldn't get the expander.

Are there any other alternatives? I already have marbles which is a keeper. I guess Bloom, but I don't like the look of the UI.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”