Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
Buttons ARE toys
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by Buttons ARE toys »

Snufflepuff wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:41 pm Maybe I'm just really unlucky, but does anyone get no sound coming out of Lubadh -- nothing from the saved loop that animated lights show is theoretically being played back, nothing from monitored input audio despite the input lights lighting up, not even the characteristic digital noise--until several restarts finally get it going again?
This happens in one of my cases but not the other. I only ever have to do one restart to get it working though.

Have you sent Instruo an email detailing all the bugs you're experiencing? I sent them a list about the first unit I had and they told me to send it in and get a replacement, which was free. The second unit has some occasional bugs, but nothing near as bad as the first, and a lot of your issues are things that happened with my broken module.
Astronomical Dusk - a web radio show of synthetic delights and collected oddities. Airs semi-monthly at astronomical dusk.
Snufflepuff
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Snufflepuff »

Jletra wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:19 am
Snufflepuff wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:41 pm Maybe I'm just really unlucky, but does anyone get no sound coming out of Lubadh -- nothing from the saved loop that animated lights show is theoretically being played back, nothing from monitored input audio despite the input lights lighting up, not even the characteristic digital noise--until several restarts finally get it going again?
It seems to me that you have too many issues with this module… I don’t have any of the problems you have been asking.
So I would suspect either you have indeed a dud… or there’s something in your system that is not pairing well with the Lúbadh… or some use error at times…
In any case, if I were you I would just contact Instruo’s support and they will sort you out.
Instruo suggested I disable the capacitive plates, which were causing trouble during shift-held speed changes. Other than that, they've just said, Wait for the new firmware. They have not offered to take a look at the module.

Look, I understand you might be dubious when I say the module's not making any noise. But if it takes two restarts to get it to make sound, without my touching a single button or changing a single patch cord, it's not a case of user error. Doesn't your module immediately start playing saved audio after its startup routine, without you having to intervene? Well, mine doesn't necessarily do that.
Wubz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Wubz »

I've had three of them. The first two were plagued with issues, the third is (mostly) not and I love it. Not sure how that can be fixed by firmware updates alone.
Jletra
Common Wiggler

Post by Jletra »

Snufflepuff wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:18 pm
Jletra wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:19 am
It seems to me that you have too many issues with this module… I don’t have any of the problems you have been asking.
So I would suspect either you have indeed a dud… or there’s something in your system that is not pairing well with the Lúbadh… or some use error at times…
In any case, if I were you I would just contact Instruo’s support and they will sort you out.
Instruo suggested I disable the capacitive plates, which were causing trouble during shift-held speed changes. Other than that, they've just said, Wait for the new firmware. They have not offered to take a look at the module.

Look, I understand you might be dubious when I say the module's not making any noise. But if it takes two restarts to get it to make sound, without my touching a single button or changing a single patch cord, it's not a case of user error. Doesn't your module immediately start playing saved audio after its startup routine, without you having to intervene? Well, mine doesn't necessarily do that.
I don’t doubt you at all, I just know from experience that sometimes we make an honest mistake… with Lúbadh I was once freaking out that I couldn’t hear anything for a couple of minutes before realizing the output pots were completely CCW… and I had it for some time already, so… yeah, I felt very silly! 😅
I have some pulsating noise, which is negligible with proper gain staging in my case and with the kind of work I use it for. I don’t have any real problems apart from occasional freezing of the left deck, the 2x speed indication on the right deck does light but that has no effect on the usage, often the left deck won’t play at the speed set by its knob when powering up. But that’s it and in no way problematic as the things you’ve been listing.
I would really make a list of all the issues you are experiencing and write them again to support or try to get in touch with Jason directly, explaining you aren’t getting much luck. You’ll find him easily on Facebook or Instagram.
Best of luck and give us a head up about how it went!
scragz
Ultra Wiggler

Post by scragz »

mine has been starting up with the reels frozen and I have to wiggle the speed knob to wake them up. I keep meaning to go disable the touch plates but haven't bothered yet.
TheMachinesWon
Common Wiggler

Post by TheMachinesWon »

When’s this firmware coming?!!!
Wubz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Wubz »

TheMachinesWon wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:48 pm When’s this firmware coming?!!!
"soon"
TheMachinesWon
Common Wiggler

Post by TheMachinesWon »

Wubz wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:43 pm
TheMachinesWon wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:48 pm When’s this firmware coming?!!!
"soon"
Righttttt
SeanBonham
Common Wiggler

Post by SeanBonham »

He mentioned the firmware in the new Divkid video
Nik
Common Wiggler

Post by Nik »

SeanBonham wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:39 pm He mentioned the firmware in the new Divkid video
Indeed, and said it would require a 3 hour video this time!
SeanBonham
Common Wiggler

Post by SeanBonham »

Whenever this new firmware appears I might jump ship on Morphagene for this module. Hard to say though.
TheMachinesWon
Common Wiggler

Post by TheMachinesWon »

Nik wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:49 pm
SeanBonham wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:39 pm He mentioned the firmware in the new Divkid video
Sounds easy to follow…or is the new video the tutorial and not 3 hrs explaining how to upload the firmware ;)
Nik
Common Wiggler

Post by Nik »

TheMachinesWon wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:04 pm
Sounds easy to follow…or is the new video the tutorial and not 3 hrs explaining how to upload the firmware ;)
TBH, I've never made it to the end of the last one ;) I get distracted by something nice that I hear too easily and start patching around it.
ee_
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ee_ »

Nik wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:53 am
TheMachinesWon wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:04 pm
TBH, I've never made it to the end of the last one ;) I get distracted by something nice that I hear too easily and start patching around it.
Same. Instruos tutorials are some of the best, but every time I go back to one to learn more, I never make it more than halfway before I'm patching up a storm. :D
Wubz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Wubz »

Glad to hear so many reports of this module not being noisy. I suppose the firmware releases to fix the noise issues on previous modules has made people super sensitive about it on this one.
Androlicus
Common Wiggler

Post by Androlicus »

Wubz wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:40 am Glad to hear so many reports of this module not being noisy. I suppose the firmware releases to fix the noise issues on previous modules has made people super sensitive about it on this one.
It's the disparity between those that have & don't have the noise that leads us sensitive folk to look for a solution. For those peeps, I’m convinced it’s something to do with a ground loop and linked to the output module/cables. If I remove the output cables (balanced TRS from Knob Farm’s Ooots) and monitor from headphones, the noise is gone. Plug them back in and, even with the main output volume completely off and nothing patched, it returns. I had further discussion with Cinematic Laboratory about this and he had success in removing the noise by taking Lubadh out of his Make Noise skiff and into another case with Endorphin.es Golden Master and balanced XLR as the output. I think the reason some people don’t have the noise is down to different output modules and various combinations of digital and analogue modules, making it difficult to pin down. I’ve an Intellijel case on the way to try out a few combos so I can hopefully join the noiseless club.
Wubz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Wubz »

Androlicus wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:22 pm
Wubz wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:40 am Glad to hear so many reports of this module not being noisy. I suppose the firmware releases to fix the noise issues on previous modules has made people super sensitive about it on this one.
It's the disparity between those that have & don't have the noise that leads us sensitive folk to look for a solution. For those peeps, I’m convinced it’s something to do with a ground loop and linked to the output module/cables. If I remove the output cables (balanced TRS from Knob Farm’s Ooots) and monitor from headphones, the noise is gone. Plug them back in and, even with the main output volume completely off and nothing patched, it returns. I had further discussion with Cinematic Laboratory about this and he had success in removing the noise by taking Lubadh out of his Make Noise skiff and into another case with Endorphin.es Golden Master and balanced XLR as the output. I think the reason some people don’t have the noise is down to different output modules and various combinations of digital and analogue modules, making it difficult to pin down. I’ve an Intellijel case on the way to try out a few combos so I can hopefully join the noiseless club.
I actually posted this in the wrong chat. Was meant for the Endorphines Ghost topic. But….You’re right about output modules and cases/other modules affecting it. If I output to ES-9 it’s way less noisy than if I run it out of my Frap mixer into interface.
Moved it to small side case and it’s better in there also.
Modular word problems.
ee_
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ee_ »

Androlicus wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:22 pm
Interesting. Been vaguely thinking about getting a Joranalogue Transmit or Instruo's output module, but have needed to look into it more ... it can be hard to convince myself it's worthwhile, as my noise complaints are mostly few. Right now I use a DO MIXX which is passed through a 4MS Listen I/O and out to a Yamaha desktop mixer, which feeds into my PC. I have no idea the audio wisdom of this set up, but running everything through the Listen I/O as an end point (at least, the eurorack end point) seems to give me a lot more overhead gain / wiggle room with the overall end volume.

Anyway, what's weird with Lubadh, is I feel like sometimes I get noise, and other times I don't. Or rather, it's far more noticeable at some times than others. But not due to volume levels overall or gain staging -- these are kept pretty consistent and I usually make sure most of what I'm piping out of the system is at least within a stone's throw of -6dB (pushing the respective volume from as early in the audio chain as I can). I think I mentioned before, I feel like I notice noise from the module more when I've been fooling around in the decay/delay modes, whereas back when I was just using the default mode, I almost never noticed any noise. But when I do notice the noisiness, it's kind of all around, not just specific to those modes.

This is just an impression and could be off base, but was something I meant to come back to to try to suss out more objectively.
slowmotionsound
Learning to Wiggle

Post by slowmotionsound »

Hello all,

I am new to the Lubadh and hoping to crowd source some information from those more experienced with the device. I’ve flashed my Lubadh with the latest firmware, however I’m encountering strange behavior with the auto save feature of the tape buffers.

After recording a loop, I’ll power the device off then power it back on. The total loop length is preserved in the tape buffer; however, I’m not hearing output while the loop is playing back. It seems there is either an empty loop playing back, or something goes awry during the OS boot sequence regarding hardware output recognition.

Has anybody else experienced similar issues? I still need to do some more systematic testing.
Crevice
Common Wiggler

Post by Crevice »

I have the noise issues as well, exactly like the user who posted the sound cloud clip. Whomever is suggesting balanced cables, that's not the problem, I'm listening directly from my palette case via a headphone module, no cables, mixers, etc. I tried a completely different case and power supply and same issue. I tried different headphone modules, different mixers, etc. You know what other module has the same issue, Arbhar! These are the only 2 modules in my 18u 168hp system that were causing my noise issues. I took them both out and instantly everything cleared up. I am going to try a 4ms pod and see if it fixes it. If it does, I'm going to use just these 2 modules in a small pod case separate from everything else. If it doesn't, I may have to get rid of them. I simply can't get used to the noise, it impacts the entire system and is very very noticeable.

Edit:

I just want to be clear that there could be some folks that have noise issues with certain audio cables (unbalanced/balanced) this is not that. This is power related. I have completely isolated my case so that it is 1 lubadh, 1 Intellijel headphone module and that is it, no other modules. It's a pulsing whine noise, similar to coil whine. You don't even need to patch it, you can just have it on but unpatched and that noise will be playing through the entire system until you unplug the lubadhs power. I have read this entire thread and the amount of people with this noise issue prove it's not a simple fix. The fact that instruo themselves have spoken and said it's "normal" is very disappointing, especially when many have said they don't have the issue. This shouldn't be normal, I shouldn't have recordings ruined because the noise caused by lubadh is bleeding through. People shouldn't have to sell their lubadh because of the noise, which I have read some on this forum have had to do.
T. Jervell
Veteran Wiggler

Post by T. Jervell »

I’ve had these noise problems as Well. Almost drowe me mad BUT then I noticed that I did not experience the issue when my studio monitors are unplugged from my mixer. It was quite a revelation. So my euro goes straight into my 1010 BlueBox (mixer). Recording and listening to any part of my modular works great. And I make a point out of any part of my modular, because as soon as I plug my studio monitors in to the blue box. That annoying pulsating hum starts. No matter which module, as mention by other, there’s a cycling hum. So I’ve found as long as I don’t listen on my monitors, I’m all good. Considering I use active monitors and the grounding in my worksapce is a bit dodgy, my guess is that there must be a combo of these aspects messing with something the noise/issue.
Since I work with my music almost exclusively on headphones I have no problem with it. But I most certainly get why this is a huge issue if your going to play out/live with it…..
sanderbaan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sanderbaan »

I am having the noise problems also and honestly I think it's not acceptable for a module for which I paid 650 euro. This is not normal behaviour, the main use case of this module is recording audio so it should be free of this noise. I also did not read on the website that this was normal behaviour, otherwise I would not have spend 650 euro on it :) unfortunately I did not read here about the module before buying it but only came here after running into these issues.

So now I have to sell the module with quite a loss while this is clearly a issue in the module itself and also in the Arbhar which is perhaps a little bit less noticeable.
macio
Common Wiggler

Post by macio »

For those who like the module - I think a solution could be putting noise gate in the chain.
Jletra
Common Wiggler

Post by Jletra »

sanderbaan wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:18 am I am having the noise problems also and honestly I think it's not acceptable for a module for which I paid 650 euro. This is not normal behaviour, the main use case of this module is recording audio so it should be free of this noise. I also did not read on the website that this was normal behaviour, otherwise I would not have spend 650 euro on it :) unfortunately I did not read here about the module before buying it but only came here after running into these issues.

So now I have to sell the module with quite a loss while this is clearly a issue in the module itself and also in the Arbhar which is perhaps a little bit less noticeable.
The fact that lots of people don't have any noise issues makes your assumptions and the ones from the user a but farther back slightly problematic. As evidenced by lots of users here that have repeatedly stated that their unit has no problems/they don't experience problematic noise and a similar discussion regarding Mimeophon on it's thread, the source of your problem might not be the Lubádh itself, or might be a combination of the modules you have on your case, or the quality of your PSU, or even the position/order of the modules in the case...
That's one of the caveats of the modularity of eurorack, you lose consistency, standards, troubleshooting problems gets more difficult...
As in the Mimeophon thread, it pains me to read the whole time people complaining about noise and no posts of music made with this amazing module, that... for lots of people... works just fine and is a great source of inspiration!
Crevice
Common Wiggler

Post by Crevice »

sanderbaan wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:18 am I am having the noise problems also and honestly I think it's not acceptable for a module for which I paid 650 euro. This is not normal behaviour, the main use case of this module is recording audio so it should be free of this noise. I also did not read on the website that this was normal behaviour, otherwise I would not have spend 650 euro on it :) unfortunately I did not read here about the module before buying it but only came here after running into these issues.

Saying noise is normal by instruo is such a cop out. I hate calling out companies, but claiming an issue like this, on an audio recorder of all things, is normal so there is nothing any of us can do is unfortunate. If it's so normal, than how come some on here claim they don't have it? If it's normal, why are some power supplies better than others? Because it's not normal. There is some clear power issues with the design of this module that has impacted many users in this single thread alone. Go on Reddit and you'll see a bunch of threads and comments of people complaining about the noise. Go on YouTube and you'll see comments here and there about folks dealing with noise.

So I guess my question is, if you had a VCO for example that had unwanted noise in its frequencies and they said "oh it's normal", would you be ok with it? My point is if there are issues with gear and the maker simply claims they are normal, that basically prevents any of us from being able to do anything but either sell it to another person to deal with or deal with it ourselves. Way too expensive of a module to have these issues. If you're going to charge a premium, this type of thing can't exist.

For the other person above me saying it could be setups etc., re-read my troubleshooting steps and re-read this thread on the amount of complaints about noise. I literally have a single case with 0 modules, I stuck a lubadh in there by itself, even plugged power in a hum reducer to make sure I had clean power, and had noise while it wasn't even patched. I guess the pages and pages of people with noise issues is just on them.

Don't mean to sound extra grumpy, but the most frustrating thing is when people say oh I don't have this issue so it must be on you, when we have 3 years of people complaining about noise more than any other thread besides possibly Mimeophone like you mentioned.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”