Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
Post Reply
Jletra
Common Wiggler
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:21 pm

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by Jletra »

Snufflepuff wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:46 pm I'm new to the module and haven't listened for noise yet.

Is the noise character (digital pulsating?) such that an intelligent noise remover like Izotope's can recognize it as noise, and thus remove it?

I was a bit uncertain how the normalized path actually works, so I drew it out for clarity. Wow, feedback builds up a lot of layers fast.


Image
This will only work like this if you’re not monitoring the input on the first reel. Otherwise you’ll record both it’s content and what’s coming in the input on the second reel once you start that one…
User avatar
Snufflepuff
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:53 pm

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by Snufflepuff »

Jletra wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:03 pm
Snufflepuff wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:46 pm I'm new to the module and haven't listened for noise yet.

Is the noise character (digital pulsating?) such that an intelligent noise remover like Izotope's can recognize it as noise, and thus remove it?

I was a bit uncertain how the normalized path actually works, so I drew it out for clarity. Wow, feedback builds up a lot of layers fast.


Image
This will only work like this if you’re not monitoring the input on the first reel. Otherwise you’ll record both it’s content and what’s coming in the input on the second reel once you start that one…
I'm confused. I thought "monitoring" audio means hearing it regardless of whether it's being playing or recorded. Like it goes straight from the input jack to the output jack.

So if I input, say, red audio into Reel 1 while monitoring is on, red audio will also be recorded to Reel 2 simultaneously? In other words, "monitored" audio is always recorded by any recording reel?
Jletra
Common Wiggler
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:21 pm

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by Jletra »

Snufflepuff wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:24 pm
Jletra wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:03 pm
Snufflepuff wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:46 pm I'm new to the module and haven't listened for noise yet.

Is the noise character (digital pulsating?) such that an intelligent noise remover like Izotope's can recognize it as noise, and thus remove it?

I was a bit uncertain how the normalized path actually works, so I drew it out for clarity. Wow, feedback builds up a lot of layers fast.


Image
This will only work like this if you’re not monitoring the input on the first reel. Otherwise you’ll record both it’s content and what’s coming in the input on the second reel once you start that one…
I'm confused. I thought "monitoring" audio means hearing it regardless of whether it's being playing or recorded. Like it goes straight from the input jack to the output jack.

So if I input, say, red audio into Reel 1 while monitoring is on, red audio will also be recorded to Reel 2 simultaneously? In other words, "monitored" audio is always recorded by any recording reel?
Yes (if you’re recording on the 2nd reel, of course) , and if you have the input on one of the reels unpatched, it will record everything coming from the out of the other reel, as per the normalization path. Meaning, if the inputs remain unpatched, you’ll get the feedback characteristics of the normalization going. You can monitor from the reels outputs or the aux output.
If you’re monitoring from the aux output, you’ll only hear the output defined by the slider, though.
Does that make sense?
User avatar
Snufflepuff
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:53 pm

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by Snufflepuff »

Yes (if you’re recording on the 2nd reel, of course) , and if you have the input on one of the reels unpatched, it will record everything coming from the out of the other reel, as per the normalization path. Meaning, if the inputs remain unpatched, you’ll get the feedback characteristics of the normalization going. You can monitor from the reels outputs or the aux output.
If you’re monitoring from the aux output, you’ll only hear the output defined by the slider, though.
Does that make sense?
[/quote]

My confusion lies in the "it will record everything coming from out of the other reel (i.e. Reel 1)."

Image

Is possibility #1 here correct-- monitored audio doesn't go (only?) straight to output, but goes to the record head of Reel 2? Wouldn't that just record new audio straight to Reel 1 and 2 simultaneously, which wouldn't be as interesting as having Reel 2 one generation behind Reel 1?

Sorry for my ignorance.
Jletra
Common Wiggler
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:21 pm

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by Jletra »

Snufflepuff wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:36 pm Yes (if you’re recording on the 2nd reel, of course) , and if you have the input on one of the reels unpatched, it will record everything coming from the out of the other reel, as per the normalization path. Meaning, if the inputs remain unpatched, you’ll get the feedback characteristics of the normalization going. You can monitor from the reels outputs or the aux output.
If you’re monitoring from the aux output, you’ll only hear the output defined by the slider, though.
Does that make sense?
My confusion lies in the "it will record everything coming from out of the other reel (i.e. Reel 1)."

Image

Is possibility #1 here correct-- monitored audio doesn't go (only?) straight to output, but goes to the record head of Reel 2? Wouldn't that just record new audio straight to Reel 1 and 2 simultaneously, which wouldn't be as interesting as having Reel 2 one generation behind Reel 1?

Sorry for my ignorance.
[/quote]

Don’t say sorry for something like that! :)
The normalization is independent of the content recorded, it applies to the reel (as in both recorded and incoming sound).
You could patch a sound to the left reel, monitor through the right reel output (as long as the right reel input does not have another sound patched). In this case, if you would record on the right reel, you would record the sound coming in on the left reel input.
But, and that’s where it becomes interesting, that sound you would be recording would be processed through the normalization and subsequent feedback path between those two reels, which, depending on the gain and output volume settings, would change its characteristics subtly or dramatically.
Is that clearer?
Jletra
Common Wiggler
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:21 pm

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by Jletra »

Snufflepuff wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:36 pm Yes (if you’re recording on the 2nd reel, of course) , and if you have the input on one of the reels unpatched, it will record everything coming from the out of the other reel, as per the normalization path. Meaning, if the inputs remain unpatched, you’ll get the feedback characteristics of the normalization going. You can monitor from the reels outputs or the aux output.
If you’re monitoring from the aux output, you’ll only hear the output defined by the slider, though.
Does that make sense?
My confusion lies in the "it will record everything coming from out of the other reel (i.e. Reel 1)."

Image

Is possibility #1 here correct-- monitored audio doesn't go (only?) straight to output, but goes to the record head of Reel 2? Wouldn't that just record new audio straight to Reel 1 and 2 simultaneously, which wouldn't be as interesting as having Reel 2 one generation behind Reel 1?

Sorry for my ignorance.
[/quote]

Your diagrams are a bit confusing. But your possibility 2 is the correct one. Whatever is happening in reel 1, is being sent to the input of reel 2. Meaning reel 2 will record ‘monitored sound’ (if that’s what you’re monitoring).
But with Lúbadh you could also be monitoring a mixture between both outputs on the aux output, or you could monitor the sound of the reel 1 at the second reel’s output. So, I guess it can become complex, but that’s where the feedback magic of the Lúbadh lies! :)
User avatar
Snufflepuff
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:53 pm

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by Snufflepuff »

Is each reel "full" after 9 minutes of recording and can record no more, or the 10th minute of input audio be overlaid over the 1st minute of recorded audio, etc.
User avatar
Buttons ARE toys
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:24 am
Location: Earth

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by Buttons ARE toys »

Jletra wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:49 am
My confusion lies in the "it will record everything coming from out of the other reel (i.e. Reel 1)."

Image

Is possibility #1 here correct-- monitored audio doesn't go (only?) straight to output, but goes to the record head of Reel 2? Wouldn't that just record new audio straight to Reel 1 and 2 simultaneously, which wouldn't be as interesting as having Reel 2 one generation behind Reel 1?

I think your confusion might be with how the monitoring works. When you have Reel 1 set to monitor the live input, Reel 1's output is playing the live audio. So, Reel 2 is only recording the output of Reel 1, but Reel 1 isn't only outputting what is read from the tape.

You can get the behavior you're after (monitoring the live audio, recording and playing back from Reel 1, and recording that to Reel 2 after a generation) by using an additional mixer.

- Mult your original audio to the Lubadh's Reel 1 input and your mixer, and then send the Aux output of Lubadh to the mixer.
- Turn off input monitoring on Reel 1. This will prevent the live audio from passing on to Reel 2.
- Also turn off input monitoring on Reel 2, or else you'll just hear the output of Reel 1 through it as soon as Reel 1 begins playback.
Astronomical Dusk - a web radio show of synthetic delights and collected oddities. Airs semi-monthly at astronomical dusk.
User avatar
antonriehl
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:02 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by antonriehl »

Snufflepuff wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:11 pm Is each reel "full" after 9 minutes of recording and can record no more, or the 10th minute of input audio be overlaid over the 1st minute of recorded audio, etc.
The first record cycle determines the length of the buffer. If you record long enough, ~10 minutes, it will automatically stop increasing the length. Once that happens, it will still be in record mode, so you will start recording on the top of the buffer. “How” it records from there will depend on your mode and settings. In the default mode, it will start recording sound on sound. In the tape decay mode, you can determine how much of the initial sound should be included in the new layer. But, the answer is that they can stay in record mode and loop over itself infinitely, but the max duration of that loop is ~10 minutes.
radialMelt
Common Wiggler
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:19 pm
Location: Montreal, QC

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by radialMelt »

Re: noise. Earlier in this thread I had mentioned I managed to mitigate the noise with careful gainstaging and cable selection (bal vs unbal) etc.

Well, this past weekend I played a gig where I had my modular running through my guitar amp via an Intellijel Pedal I/O. The noise was really, really bad.

There definitely seems to be some relationship between the level of noise and whatever is receiving your rigs output, be it an interface, patch bay, guitar amp, etc.
User avatar
Snufflepuff
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:53 pm

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by Snufflepuff »

antonriehl wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:02 am
Snufflepuff wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:11 pm Is each reel "full" after 9 minutes of recording and can record no more, or the 10th minute of input audio be overlaid over the 1st minute of recorded audio, etc.
The first record cycle determines the length of the buffer. If you record long enough, ~10 minutes, it will automatically stop increasing the length. Once that happens, it will still be in record mode, so you will start recording on the top of the buffer. “How” it records from there will depend on your mode and settings. In the default mode, it will start recording sound on sound. In the tape decay mode, you can determine how much of the initial sound should be included in the new layer. But, the answer is that they can stay in record mode and loop over itself infinitely, but the max duration of that loop is ~10 minutes.
Thanks, that's reassuring. I wish Instruo had put more detail into the Record section of the manual.
User avatar
Snufflepuff
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:53 pm

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by Snufflepuff »

Does anyone have trouble with:

Holding down shift/retrigger while adjusting speed doesn't work as expected: tape speed warbles a bit, and when shift/retrigger is released, the module incorrectly interprets this as a retrigger command instead of a "hold speed change until release" command.

The module is inexplicably playing back audio at a very slow speed while the knob is set to 1x, especially just after the record button has been pressed for the second time, which should switch the module to playback.

I don't know which firmware I have as I bought the module used, and am a bit bummed I have to acquire an SD card reader to upgrade.
Jletra
Common Wiggler
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:21 pm

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by Jletra »

Snufflepuff wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:25 pm Does anyone have trouble with:

Holding down shift/retrigger while adjusting speed doesn't work as expected: tape speed warbles a bit, and when shift/retrigger is released, the module incorrectly interprets this as a retrigger command instead of a "hold speed change until release" command.

The module is inexplicably playing back audio at a very slow speed while the knob is set to 1x, especially just after the record button has been pressed for the second time, which should switch the module to playback.

I don't know which firmware I have as I bought the module used, and am a bit bummed I have to acquire an SD card reader to upgrade.
I don’t have this problem. Update the firmware and you might be fine!
User avatar
cclipper
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:25 am
Location: Haute Savoie

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by cclipper »

Speaking of which... any news on the latest firmware iteration? Was teased at Superbooth I believe.
muck red
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:16 pm

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by muck red »

cclipper wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:13 pm Speaking of which... any news on the latest firmware iteration? Was teased at Superbooth I believe.
3 months ago I had my module serviced. Fast forward to last week the module was acting up for the first time since then so I sent an email. They replied and told me that my issues (frozen deck & speed/pitch parameter acting up) would be addressed in the new FW but no timetable. I get the feeling it’s really soon since it’s been about a year and a half but that’s just a guess. It’s clear they’re trying to make it super solid but a timetable or beta would be awesome.
submute
Common Wiggler
Posts: 250
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:23 pm
Location: San Diego
Contact:

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by submute »

The new firmware has been really soon for years.
User avatar
scragz
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 815
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:19 pm

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by scragz »

submute wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:32 pm The new firmware has been really soon for years.
imagine when it's actually really soon though, that will sure be exciting.
muck red
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:16 pm

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by muck red »

submute wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:32 pm The new firmware has been really soon for years.
To be fair I’m not sure they’ve ever said soon. All I know is that firmware is the only thing holding me back from taking my ambient modular record double platinum.
Wubz
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 459
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:56 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by Wubz »

scragz wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:46 pm
submute wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:32 pm The new firmware has been really soon for years.
imagine when it's actually really soon though, that will sure be exciting.
It’s gunna be really soon, quite soon.
User avatar
Snufflepuff
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:53 pm

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by Snufflepuff »

Jletra wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:37 am
Snufflepuff wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:25 pm Does anyone have trouble with:

Holding down shift/retrigger while adjusting speed doesn't work as expected: tape speed warbles a bit, and when shift/retrigger is released, the module incorrectly interprets this as a retrigger command instead of a "hold speed change until release" command.

The module is inexplicably playing back audio at a very slow speed while the knob is set to 1x, especially just after the record button has been pressed for the second time, which should switch the module to playback.

I don't know which firmware I have as I bought the module used, and am a bit bummed I have to acquire an SD card reader to upgrade.
I don’t have this problem. Update the firmware and you might be fine!
I updated the firmware, and now each reel erroneously resets to its start after I hold down shift/reset (attempt to change speed using the knob) and release the button.

The inexplicable playing-at-1/4-speed-for-no-reason went away once I switched off the capacitive touch plates, fortunately.

Instruo wrote back and said the legendary upcoming firmware will fix this up.
ee_
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1145
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:27 am
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by ee_ »

Snufflepuff wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:08 pm
Jletra wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:37 am
Snufflepuff wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:25 pm Does anyone have trouble with:

Holding down shift/retrigger while adjusting speed doesn't work as expected: tape speed warbles a bit, and when shift/retrigger is released, the module incorrectly interprets this as a retrigger command instead of a "hold speed change until release" command.

The module is inexplicably playing back audio at a very slow speed while the knob is set to 1x, especially just after the record button has been pressed for the second time, which should switch the module to playback.

I don't know which firmware I have as I bought the module used, and am a bit bummed I have to acquire an SD card reader to upgrade.
I don’t have this problem. Update the firmware and you might be fine!
I updated the firmware, and now each reel erroneously resets to its start after I hold down shift/reset (attempt to change speed using the knob) and release the button.

The inexplicable playing-at-1/4-speed-for-no-reason went away once I switched off the capacitive touch plates, fortunately.

Instruo wrote back and said the legendary upcoming firmware will fix this up.
Lol.. they didn't mention a date I suppose?

I think my Lubadh's on the latest firmware now and (unrelated to your own complaint) I've had some issues with noise here and there, but sometimes it is much more noticeable than other times. It's weird, I'm not sure if that's a scenario gain-staging thing (a Me thing) or if the module actually produces more noise at times. I've had the vague impression that the noise issues become more prevalent when making a lot of use of the delay mode, but ... this is not something I've tested with any objective rigor.

I continue to have an absolute blast with my Lubadh, though ... most of the things I've run into aren't a big deal, really. But a firmware fixing up some of the little idiosyncrasies and improving noise floor issues would be A+.
User avatar
Snufflepuff
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:53 pm

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by Snufflepuff »



Well, I've given up on being able to delay speed changes until the retrigger button is released, but when I actually sat down and got to work with it, I had a lot of fun. Changing the "tape" speed is such a basic transformation compared to say, granular effects, but surprisingly effective.

The track in my signature is cello open strings and harmonics processed through Mimeophon.
User avatar
Snufflepuff
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:53 pm

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by Snufflepuff »

Maybe I'm just really unlucky, but does anyone get no sound coming out of Lubadh -- nothing from the saved loop that animated lights show is theoretically being played back, nothing from monitored input audio despite the input lights lighting up, not even the characteristic digital noise--until several restarts finally get it going again?
User avatar
Kosmikos
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1855
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:21 pm
Location: London, U.K.
Contact:

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by Kosmikos »

Snufflepuff wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:41 pm Maybe I'm just really unlucky, but does anyone get no sound coming out of Lubadh -- nothing from the saved loop that animated lights show is theoretically being played back, nothing from monitored input audio despite the input lights lighting up, not even the characteristic digital noise--until several restarts finally get it going again?
I do have something similar from time to time, never had to do multiple restart though. I might even have managed to unlock it with a button combo somehow.
I always suspected the capacitive touch plates to be the culprit in this case. Try disabling them (I never did mine, but I think it’s a jumper at the back of the module), and see if that helps.
Kosmikos’ tracks on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-254876270
Jletra
Common Wiggler
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:21 pm

Re: Instruo Lúbadh stereo looper

Post by Jletra »

Snufflepuff wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:41 pm Maybe I'm just really unlucky, but does anyone get no sound coming out of Lubadh -- nothing from the saved loop that animated lights show is theoretically being played back, nothing from monitored input audio despite the input lights lighting up, not even the characteristic digital noise--until several restarts finally get it going again?
It seems to me that you have too many issues with this module… I don’t have any of the problems you have been asking.
So I would suspect either you have indeed a dud… or there’s something in your system that is not pairing well with the Lúbadh… or some use error at times…
In any case, if I were you I would just contact Instruo’s support and they will sort you out.
Post Reply

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”