Joranalogue GENERATE 3 - Through-Zero Multiphonic Signal Generator

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
johannes
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Joranalogue GENERATE 3 - Through-Zero Multiphonic Signal Generator

Post by johannes »

Great resource, thanks!
Pagoda-100
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Pagoda-100 »

Well done BRiES and Joran! Thank you.
I hope this is the first of more to follow. ;)
joranalogue wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:14 am A complement to the official manual, the new Generate 3 Extensive User Guide by BRiES provides even more in-depth information on how to use G3 in your patches: https://joranalogue.com/generate3/extensiveuserguide
BRiES
Common Wiggler

Post by BRiES »

Pagoda-100 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:55 pm Well done BRiES and Joran! Thank you.
joranalogue wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:14 am A complement to the official manual, the new Generate 3 Extensive User Guide by BRiES provides even more in-depth information on how to use G3 in your patches: https://joranalogue.com/generate3/extensiveuserguide
Thanks Pagoda. I'm happy my guide is so well received!
Wubz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Wubz »

BRiES wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:20 pm
Pagoda-100 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:55 pm Well done BRiES and Joran! Thank you.
Thanks Pagoda. I'm happy my guide is so well received!
You're videos are great too.
This 2nd manual is much appreciated.
He_lium
Wiggling with Experience

Post by He_lium »

Thanks a lot BRIES and Joran, really appreciate. Thanks also for for the many videos, that helps. I look forward Orbit 3.
Raymond
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Raymond »

Hi everyone,

I just thought I'll share it over here as well in addition to the "Your Tunes" subsection as it is relevant I feel. At first I wanted to do it in the Fold 6 thread as it is the link between Generate 3 and Rubicon but it might have looked weird as it isn't showed in the video ! Yeah weird I know but I had to do that to get a close up of the two VCO. Anyway I love very much those two oscillators and I wanted to show quickly how they can sound together. Those are just four different patches made quickly.

Top left : Kick kind of
Top right : Hi hat kind of
Bottom left : Bass kind of
Bottom right : Hhmm something (?)

Links to the music (new release December 2022)-->
https://linktr.ee/soundofraymond

Link to videos —>
https://youtube.com/channel/UC33YEW1KNg-4KCg2XRnR8sw
joranalogue
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joranalogue »

Not confined to just audio rate signal generation, Generate 3 also makes for an excellent low frequency oscillator. Today on Patch Tuesday, we're making use of its 5 simultaneous outputs to morph and modulate multiple Eurorack oscillators.

Joranalogue Audio Design
21st Century Analogue Synthesis—Made in Belgium

https://joranalogue.com/
Del
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Del »

I’ve waited 5 months to make a comment on this module because, being very impressed with my other Joranalogue modules – I have more Jorananalogue than any other maker right now, I didn’t trust my own reaction (and still don’t entirely).

I would say that you should NOT consider this as a primary oscillator or even really in the role of oscillator. Its fundamental is scratchy and, for the life of me, I cannot even get a pleasing saw wave from it. I find all of its unmodulated tones quite jagged and unsatisfying. I know this is subjective, especially since I don’t have an oscilloscope and just go by my ears.

I’ve had the most fun with it when using it almost like a filter, or when more or less pinging it. But I’m not sure it’ll be in my next rack arrangement.

Like I said, I love Joranalogue modules and I’ve enjoyed experimenting with this module, but I post this just as a heads up for people who may be reading this forum, wondering if this should be their first or only oscillator. I would steer you away from it if you’re looking for good sounding basic waveforms.
joranalogue
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joranalogue »

Del wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:12 pm I’ve waited 5 months to make a comment on this module because, being very impressed with my other Joranalogue modules – I have more Jorananalogue than any other maker right now, I didn’t trust my own reaction (and still don’t entirely).

I would say that you should NOT consider this as a primary oscillator or even really in the role of oscillator. Its fundamental is scratchy and, for the life of me, I cannot even get a pleasing saw wave from it. I find all of its unmodulated tones quite jagged and unsatisfying. I know this is subjective, especially since I don’t have an oscilloscope and just go by my ears.

I’ve had the most fun with it when using it almost like a filter, or when more or less pinging it. But I’m not sure it’ll be in my next rack arrangement.

Like I said, I love Joranalogue modules and I’ve enjoyed experimenting with this module, but I post this just as a heads up for people who may be reading this forum, wondering if this should be their first or only oscillator. I would steer you away from it if you’re looking for good sounding basic waveforms.
I'm sorry to read about your experience with G3! While it does have some peculiarities, mostly due to its unique phase modulation circuitry, you should have no trouble getting good, basic sounds out of it. You may have to tweak the static phase setting from time to time, however.

There's also the possibility that your unit is faulty. Can you please get in touch via support@joranalogue.com to verify that your module is working as intended?
Joranalogue Audio Design

Del
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Del »

joranalogue wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:19 pm
Del wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:12 pm I’ve waited 5 months to make a comment on this module because, being very impressed with my other Joranalogue modules – I have more Jorananalogue than any other maker right now, I didn’t trust my own reaction (and still don’t entirely).

I'm sorry to read about your experience with G3! While it does have some peculiarities, mostly due to its unique phase modulation circuitry, you should have no trouble getting good, basic sounds out of it. You may have to tweak the static phase setting from time to time, however.

There's also the possibility that your unit is faulty. Can you please get in touch via support@joranalogue.com to verify that your module is working as intended?

Thanks for your response. Would there be any way of testing it on my end that isn’t subjective?

Just listening carefully to the fundamental, even after adjusting the phase to get it as pure as I can, I swear I can hear the trace of an octave below it. (EDIT: no – I listened to it again – it’s quite discernible — not just a trace.) You would know better than I if that’s possible, if it is expected behavior, and what might be causing it.

If you think there may be something wrong with it, I will get in touch with you directly.
joranalogue
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joranalogue »

Del wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:45 pm Thanks for your response. Would there be any way of testing it on my end that isn’t subjective?

Just listening carefully to the fundamental, even after adjusting the phase to get it as pure as I can, I swear I can hear the trace of an octave below it. (EDIT: no – I listened to it again – it’s quite discernible — not just a trace.) You would know better than I if that’s possible, if it is expected behavior, and what might be causing it.

If you think there may be something wrong with it, I will get in touch with you directly.
If you can send a recording via email, that would be very helpful. Thanks!
Joranalogue Audio Design

Del
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Del »

joranalogue wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:51 pm
Del wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:45 pm Thanks for your response. Would there be any way of testing it on my end that isn’t subjective?

If you can send a recording via email, that would be very helpful. Thanks!
Sent.
okayiquit
Common Wiggler

Post by okayiquit »

Off topic; I really appreciate how active Joranalogue is here.

On topic; I love this module, it's pretty nuts. Extremely dense feature-wise for an oscillator of this size.
plragde
Wiggling with Experience

Post by plragde »

Is it normal to not be able to turn the FULL output off by setting the three attenuverters for harmonics (FUND, EVEN, ODD) to zero? I can get it quite low, about 0.05V peak with some larger spikes, and tweaking PHASE can make a difference. But it's never zero, and it goes up when I plug a cable into one of the CV inputs for the harmonics, even with nothing on the other end. (That other end is intended for an envelope, and I can mult it to a VCA if I have to.)
nihile_tropes
Common Wiggler

Post by nihile_tropes »

plragde wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:05 pm Is it normal to not be able to turn the FULL output off by setting the three attenuverters for harmonics (FUND, EVEN, ODD) to zero? I can get it quite low, about 0.05V peak with some larger spikes, and tweaking PHASE can make a difference. But it's never zero, and it goes up when I plug a cable into one of the CV inputs for the harmonics, even with nothing on the other end. (That other end is intended for an envelope, and I can mult it to a VCA if I have to.)
It's usually pretty much impossible to perfectly center attenuverters for zero bleed. I'd consider that normal.
chrisdurftal
Common Wiggler

Post by chrisdurftal »

This tune features "wave sequencing" from the Generate 3, the sound that is heard at the very beginning of the track:
paterursus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by paterursus »

Just did see this today. I’d like to add my thanks, BRiES, for your videos and especially the manual. I think this will help me understand the module on a deeper level.
Wiggling in the 16th century
nocontact
Common Wiggler

Post by nocontact »

Few weeks in and I'm longing for a second Generate 3 / Fold 6 combo along with the Morphing VCA for the ultimate complex vco experience. This thing surprises me every time. I am particularly fond of how easy it is to modulate it into white noise terriroty and back without loosing pitch tracking if things are set up right.
dro
Common Wiggler

Post by dro »

Amazing, thank you!
BRiES
Common Wiggler

Post by BRiES »

paterursus wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:05 pm Just did see this today. I’d like to add my thanks, BRiES, for your videos and especially the manual. I think this will help me understand the module on a deeper level.
dro wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:26 pm Amazing, thank you!
okayiquit wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:50 pm Off topic; I really appreciate how active Joranalogue is here.
Thank you paterursus and dro

okayiquit -> my thoughts exactly!
modwiggler
Learning to Wiggle

Post by modwiggler »

I finally understood through-zero FM! Just wanted to share my discovery – bear with me for saying something perhaps everyone knows† 8-)

Background: I have had Generate 3 since January. I watched DivKid's video, I read the manual, I read the extensive user guide, I read this thread and I spent every spare second playing with Generate 3. None of this helped me understand Through-Zero FM. Generate 3 has a lot going for it, so I was not unhappy. Phase-modulation is fun, normal everyday FM is fun, AM on the separate harmonics is fun. But the AC switch just seemed to kill all the fun, unless bias was turned on.

Then one day, I watched a video about TZFM for another module, the Instruo Néoni, and suddenly it made sense!

So, if TZFM is mysterious to you, watch that video with this in mind:

First of all, the resulting fundamental pitch in TZFM comes from the modulator! Not from the TZFM oscillator (Generate 3 in my case). Try to play the coarse tuning knob! It now behaves more like a filter*. In fact, I usually now put an envelope into the V/O input of Generate 3 when doing TZFM.

Secondly, the AC switch and hard sync are there to make the sound nice and stable, use them. Sync from your modulator, keep AC on and Bias off.

Thirdly, just keep the ∅ fm attenuator fully open.

(†) If you are an expert TZFM wiggler, I have a question for you in another thread.
(*) It is like the opposite of a filter, it is adding harmonies! But it behaves like a LP filter in the sense that turning the frequency knob up gives brighter sound.

Have a lovely day ;)
plragde
Wiggling with Experience

Post by plragde »

modwiggler wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:19 am Then one day, I watched a video about TZFM for another module, the Instruo Néoni, and suddenly it made sense!
Same. That video is really a gift. I prefer flip sync, but to each their own. I've been modulating with a triangle from Falistri. It has a similar effect to a sine; the differences are subtle, as are the changes in rise/fall from linear to convex or concave (which one can do on Falistri without affecting pitch). Skewing the triangle a bit also works, but as it approaches saw, it isn't as musical, and a square is definitely too harsh. I guess sharp edges are to be avoided.
Precarious
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Precarious »

modwiggler wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:19 am I finally understood through-zero FM!
Good stuff! Thanks for sharing.
modwiggler
Learning to Wiggle

Post by modwiggler »

I've been modulating with a triangle from Falistri. It has a similar effect to a sine; the differences are subtle, as are the changes in rise/fall from linear to convex or concave (which one can do on Falistri without affecting pitch). Skewing the triangle a bit also works, but as it approaches saw, it isn't as musical, and a square is definitely too harsh. I guess sharp edges are to be avoided.
That’s a good idea! The triangle is a bit more flexible than the sine. Especially from a function generator.
funksy
Common Wiggler

Post by funksy »

I'm super confused about the result I'm getting trying to use the TZFM on my Generate 3.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vNrG25wMRR2cPdz36

In the video, the AC switch is down, and the Bias switch is up. 0FM knob is fully clockwise. A sine wave from a self oscillating filter is in the input. The resulting sound is not at all what I expect from watching other videos. Additionally, if I plug a dummy cable into the input with the same setup, it stops oscillating. Thoughts?

Just because I've seen it suggested before, I moved the module from a TipTop Mantis to an Intellijel Pallete and didn't notice any different behavior.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”