Rossum Electro-Music - Trident

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

tommygee
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Rossum Electro-Music - Trident

Post by tommygee » Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:42 am

uniquepersonno2 wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:49 am
tommygee wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:49 am
I'm considering the trident. Already got a Instruo CS-L, Piston Honda Mk3 (and owned Verbos CO, DPO, Hertz Donut mk2, Piston Honda mk2 etc. in the past.

Anyone owns the Cs-L AND the Trident ?

Having watched all Youtube videos the Trident seems quite bright - how are your experiences here ?

Thanks.
I own both! They're very, very different.
how would you describe them different from a sonic perspective ?

uniquepersonno2
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by uniquepersonno2 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:00 pm

tommygee wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:42 am
uniquepersonno2 wrote:
tommygee wrote:
I'm considering the trident. Already got a Instruo CS-L, Piston Honda Mk3 (and owned Verbos CO, DPO, Hertz Donut mk2, Piston Honda mk2 etc. in the past.

Having watched all Youtube videos the Trident seems quite bright - how are your experiences here ?

Thanks.
Well, the Cs-L seems to take a lot of inspiration from traditional complex oscillators, with a whole lot of patchability. You have two wavefolders, a ringmod, and 5 simultaneously-available waveforms per oscillator. You also get a modulation bus and index control that can control the amount of FM across both oscillators, plus modulation to the wavefolders and some other things. It's quite expansive in what you can do with it in terms of sound -- you can do minimal FM stuff all the way up to really complex patches that require self-patching and give you some really unique sounds.

On the other hand, the Trident, to me, feels like if you took a traditional subtractive synth's oscillator section and fleshed it out as much as possible. You get 3 oscillators instead of 2, with 5 waveform outputs total across all oscillators. You get the "zing" mod thing, which can sound quite nice, and there's a lot of interesting ways to modify the traditional oscillator shapes even if you're just using one oscillator. It's aboslutely fantastic for really complex sync sounds, too -- to me that's where it shines. It's also less adept at FM imo since there's no sine waves, but it can still get really interesting for that sort of thing. It also needs a mixer next to it to really shine -- those sync sounds are really impressive with all 3 oscillators mixed together. It's another one that needs a lot of self patching, which i really enjoy.
Plus, it tracks great, so you can also do 3-oscillator paraphonic stuff really easily too.
It's done!
Ever growing, ever changing... I need some longer cables.

tommygee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tommygee » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:26 pm

uniquepersonno2 wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:00 pm
tommygee wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:42 am
uniquepersonno2 wrote:
tommygee wrote:

Thanks.
Well, the Cs-L seems to take a lot of inspiration from traditional complex oscillators, with a whole lot of patchability. You have two wavefolders, a ringmod, and 5 simultaneously-available waveforms per oscillator. You also get a modulation bus and index control that can control the amount of FM across both oscillators, plus modulation to the wavefolders and some other things. It's quite expansive in what you can do with it in terms of sound -- you can do minimal FM stuff all the way up to really complex patches that require self-patching and give you some really unique sounds.

On the other hand, the Trident, to me, feels like if you took a traditional subtractive synth's oscillator section and fleshed it out as much as possible. You get 3 oscillators instead of 2, with 5 waveform outputs total across all oscillators. You get the "zing" mod thing, which can sound quite nice, and there's a lot of interesting ways to modify the traditional oscillator shapes even if you're just using one oscillator. It's aboslutely fantastic for really complex sync sounds, too -- to me that's where it shines. It's also less adept at FM imo since there's no sine waves, but it can still get really interesting for that sort of thing. It also needs a mixer next to it to really shine -- those sync sounds are really impressive with all 3 oscillators mixed together. It's another one that needs a lot of self patching, which i really enjoy.
Plus, it tracks great, so you can also do 3-oscillator paraphonic stuff really easily too.
Thanks for the in-depth reply. Very useful info. Classic question: you have to sell one of them, which one do you keep lol ?

uniquepersonno2
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by uniquepersonno2 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:38 pm

tommygee wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:26 pm

Thanks for the in-depth reply. Very useful info. Classic question: you have to sell one of them, which one do you keep lol ?
That's a good question, but my answer won't relate at all to how good the modules are, just how often I happen to use them, so take it with a grain of salt -- they're both excellent and have been in my system for a number of years now (I bought Trident day 1!).
By a very slim margin, I probably use Cs-L in more patches. It's almost always patched into a lowpass gate, thumping away. However, Trident is also a staple for me so I'd be quite sad to see it go. It's unbeatable in my experience for thick subtractive patches, especially when paired with the Evolution.
It's done!
Ever growing, ever changing... I need some longer cables.

tommygee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tommygee » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:12 am

uniquepersonno2 wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:38 pm
tommygee wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:26 pm

That's a good question, but my answer won't relate at all to how good the modules are, just how often I happen to use them, so take it with a grain of salt -- they're both excellent and have been in my system for a number of years now (I bought Trident day 1!).
By a very slim margin, I probably use Cs-L in more patches. It's almost always patched into a lowpass gate, thumping away. However, Trident is also a staple for me so I'd be quite sad to see it go. It's unbeatable in my experience for thick subtractive patches, especially when paired with the Evolution.
I guess I will give it a go then :-)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”