WMD Metron sequencer

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
WMDevices
Ultra Wiggler

Re: WMD Metron sequencer

Post by WMDevices »

beat4less wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:39 am Hi, before I ask directly to WMD : I would like to move my Voltera/Axxent above Metron (6U case, Metron at the bottom, Voltera would move at the top)
Unfortunately the cable is too short.
WMD sold this at some point https://wmdevices.com/products/cable-16 ... ron-axxent, but not anymore - anyway it would be hard to find in Europe.
Can I substitue this 8 pin cable with a classic 10/16 pin power cable ? With some pin unplugged... Maybe a very bad idea, I almost tried but stopped myself.
Otherwise, is it something I can find easily in an electronic shop ? Don't know the specs (neither in electronic).

Edit : I found a workaround in reversing the Axxent. Will see if it's playable.
We should still have the long cables in stock. It's likely something we never made a real SKU out of. Just email/contact us.
Check out the growing number of WMD Demo Videos | WMD Website
beat4less
Common Wiggler

Post by beat4less »

WMDevices wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:20 am
beat4less wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:39 am Hi, before I ask directly to WMD : I would like to move my Voltera/Axxent above Metron (6U case, Metron at the bottom, Voltera would move at the top)
Unfortunately the cable is too short.
WMD sold this at some point https://wmdevices.com/products/cable-16 ... ron-axxent, but not anymore - anyway it would be hard to find in Europe.
Can I substitue this 8 pin cable with a classic 10/16 pin power cable ? With some pin unplugged... Maybe a very bad idea, I almost tried but stopped myself.
Otherwise, is it something I can find easily in an electronic shop ? Don't know the specs (neither in electronic).

Edit : I found a workaround in reversing the Axxent. Will see if it's playable.
We should still have the long cables in stock. It's likely something we never made a real SKU out of. Just email/contact us.
Thanks for the proposal!
I'm in Europe, would be overkill. Especially since now I know a standard power cable works (lining up the -12v).

Otherwise, I'm struggling to start/run/stop a PNW in sync with Metron as master (no problem in the other direction, with Pam's as master).
The Metron - GLOBAL SETTINGS - Reset Output set to RUN stays high as expected, but quickly retrigger on variation change. And so it trigs a stop/end of run event on PNW side and mess everything.
Too bad the Metron Reset Output doesn't stay high - don't know if it's expected? The manual says "Pulses low when a reset signal is received", I don't know how read that: my Reset Input is unplugged so I guess it's an "internal" reset signal...
I guess there is a workaround, I'll look into it
Bretd
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bretd »

Was curious if a firmware update was still in the works, given the current events. Anyone know?
WMDevices
Ultra Wiggler

Post by WMDevices »

Bretd wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:10 am Was curious if a firmware update was still in the works, given the current events. Anyone know?
Yes a firmware update is still in the works. It will be released within the next few months.
DaytimeBender
Common Wiggler

Post by DaytimeBender »

I just got some Volteras, but they did not ship with any expansion terminator caps. Can I just use the small 8 pin connector (the one that connects the Voltera expander headers together) on the last module at end of my Voltera chain? Would that accomplish the same purpose as a terminator, or am I better off just leaving it open?
My Beeps & Boops: Hadewig
Dantenna
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dantenna »

Mad_Rasputin wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:06 pm OMG I am losing my mind. I cannot for the life of me get my second Metron or Voltera to even work properly at all now. I reformatted both SD cards, and now the Voltera is just flashing red lights 1-4 in order repeatedly. And the Metron appears to be functioning normally.. except that pressing the compose button no longer brings up scenes or does anything at all.
Did you have any luck figuring this out?
We have the same issue with a Metron Voltera pair bought second hand.

We have not performed an update.

The Voltera has just cycled 4 leds since first power up. It does not transmit CV or respond to presses on the button .
paterursus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by paterursus »

I placed on order on WMD's site some months ago for the last run of Metron. I received an order confirmation and number, but later I read on their site that pre-orders were not accepted. I emailed them asking if my order was valid, but they never replied. Does anyone else in this situation know about the order status?
Wiggling in the 16th century
WMDevices
Ultra Wiggler

Post by WMDevices »

paterursus wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:05 am I placed on order on WMD's site some months ago for the last run of Metron. I received an order confirmation and number, but later I read on their site that pre-orders were not accepted. I emailed them asking if my order was valid, but they never replied. Does anyone else in this situation know about the order status?
We are building Metrons currently. We have a very large list of pre-orders. I'm sure yours is in there. If you have an order receipt and a WMD#### order number, you're good.

Production is slow, people get sick, it's the holidays, quality requires time and effort, so we are really really slow to get stuff done. But it's coming I assure you. If we took your money, we will ship your stuff.
WMDevices
Ultra Wiggler

Post by WMDevices »

DaytimeBender wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:26 pm I just got some Volteras, but they did not ship with any expansion terminator caps. Can I just use the small 8 pin connector (the one that connects the Voltera expander headers together) on the last module at end of my Voltera chain? Would that accomplish the same purpose as a terminator, or am I better off just leaving it open?
The terminator is a 120 ohm resistor that terminates the CAN bus used for Metron system. It is required.

We can ship one to you, PM me your address.
paterursus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by paterursus »

WMDevices wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:44 pm
paterursus wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:05 am I placed on order on WMD's site some months ago for the last run of Metron. I received an order confirmation and number, but later I read on their site that pre-orders were not accepted. I emailed them asking if my order was valid, but they never replied. Does anyone else in this situation know about the order status?
We are building Metrons currently. We have a very large list of pre-orders. I'm sure yours is in there. If you have an order receipt and a WMD#### order number, you're good.

Production is slow, people get sick, it's the holidays, quality requires time and effort, so we are really really slow to get stuff done. But it's coming I assure you. If we took your money, we will ship your stuff.
Thanks for letting me know. I totally understand that this is a slow and difficult process for you guys; I'm not pushing at all. Now that I know I have a valid order, I'm good waiting for however long it takes. I have a full complement of WMD drums ready for when it arrives. Thanks for replying!
Wiggling in the 16th century
beat4less
Common Wiggler

Post by beat4less »

Any update regarding the future firmware? :hyper:
rustyjaw
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rustyjaw »

Anyone have tips on fixing unresponsive buttons? Is it possible/advisable to open Metron to clean the contact (if that's even the cause)? I'm guessing WMD isn't to keen on repairing at this point given they are about to shut down (an utter shame).
GOM
Wiggling with Experience

Post by GOM »

rustyjaw wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:16 pm Anyone have tips on fixing unresponsive buttons? Is it possible/advisable to open Metron to clean the contact (if that's even the cause)? I'm guessing WMD isn't to keen on repairing at this point given they are about to shut down (an utter shame).
The general fix tends to be blowing air into them. If you're not confident doing it yourself it's a very easy fix for anyone local who knows their arse from their proverbial elbow when it comes to this kind of thing, and certainly not worth sending it away for.
bjarneroe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bjarneroe »

This are instructions I received from William Mathewson some time ago
The other option, is that sometimes the buttons get a little grimey internally and just need to be pressed harder and wiggled – press hard and make a circle with your finger to hard clean the contacts. This can be done with the panel off so that the button can be moved far enough for the mechanism to extend fully.
I believe William earlier stated that he will be doing repairs throughout 2023. His customer service is second to none, impeccable.
joey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by joey »

has anyone compared this to the erica drum sequencer?
okayiquit
Common Wiggler

Post by okayiquit »

joey wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:40 am has anyone compared this to the erica drum sequencer?
Not directly, but I used the metron along with 2 voltera for a bit before switching to the Erica. The metron excels at adding randomness, ratcheting, track length adjustments, etc, really quickly. The performance mode was super cool as well once you get the hang of it. The Erica can obviously do all of the same stuff, but you have to use the encoders a lot or use shift functions, while the metron is pretty immediate and easy to adjust accurately on the fly. I just hate those little buttons.
joey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by joey »

okayiquit wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:10 am
joey wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:40 am has anyone compared this to the erica drum sequencer?
Not directly, but I used the metron along with 2 voltera for a bit before switching to the Erica. The metron excels at adding randomness, ratcheting, track length adjustments, etc, really quickly. The performance mode was super cool as well once you get the hang of it. The Erica can obviously do all of the same stuff, but you have to use the encoders a lot or use shift functions, while the metron is pretty immediate and easy to adjust accurately on the fly. I just hate those little buttons.

Ok so there’s no secret killer Metron feature that I’m missing out on that the erica can’t do?
insectdance
Common Wiggler

Post by insectdance »

joey wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:28 am
Ok so there’s no secret killer Metron feature that I’m missing out on that the erica can’t do?
I decided on the Metron between two primarily based on the Voltera expansion which can give you more CV (I went to 4x from 2x during the WMD closing sale, but will definitely be harder to do that now) and also just interface preference.

Also when I was reading the Erica thread back then there also seemed to be a difference on how accents worked between the two so that might be something to check out. It's an expander but I like the way the Axxent works with the Metron.
rocknrolla
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rocknrolla »

So on my Metron the channel LEDs 10 to 16 have this blue afterglow. Other than that they do blink red just fine when outputting a trigger. Is this some sort of defect?

GOM
Wiggling with Experience

Post by GOM »

rocknrolla wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:43 am So on my Metron the channel LEDs 10 to 16 have this blue afterglow. Other than that they do blink red just fine when outputting a trigger. Is this some sort of defect?

Very odd. Certainly isn't the case on mine but I can't even think where that would be coming from as (to my knowledge) there are no blue LEDs on Metron.
grieben
Learning to Wiggle

Post by grieben »

Does that blue cable mult have an LED on it or are there any other modules nearby that could be casting blue light into the Metron?
JSHG
Common Wiggler

Post by JSHG »

Ive always had a desire for this module.
WMDevices
Ultra Wiggler

Post by WMDevices »

rocknrolla wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:43 am So on my Metron the channel LEDs 10 to 16 have this blue afterglow. Other than that they do blink red just fine when outputting a trigger. Is this some sort of defect?

Do you have a blue light on your power supply? Like on a Tip Top Zeus board?

It is absolutely not some defect on Metron....
rocknrolla
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rocknrolla »

WMDevices wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:52 am
Do you have a blue light on your power supply? Like on a Tip Top Zeus board?

It is absolutely not some defect on Metron....
pff now I feel stupid.. :doh: Yeah it's just a light from my Konstant lab power supply! I thought since there is a PCB underneath it couldn't be something else :bang:
Vanden92
Common Wiggler

Post by Vanden92 »

I have the exact same blue light on mine, and only noticed it recently after moving it in my case. At least not I know the reason!

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”