WMD Metron sequencer

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
beat4less
Common Wiggler

Re: WMD Metron sequencer

Post by beat4less »

I found my answer :
WMDevices wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:00 pm
cloudswim wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:40 pm Just got a METRON unit today.

Have not plugged it in yet, noticed on the back there is only one terminator attached to one of the headers and the other one is just exposed.

Should both be attached with a terminator?

On the manual p53,

EXP (x2): Proprietary Expansion/Chain connector, 8 pins IDC
• Must have EXP TERM on either header if unused
• Must have EXP TERM (x2) at both ends of chain if used

Just want to make sure before I plug it in ....

thanks guys!
No, only one terminator is required when the Metron is not chained.

We ship a terminator with each Metron or expansion module, so you'll have two when you get the other modules. You're good to go.
funqpatrol
Common Wiggler

Post by funqpatrol »

I've just heard that voltera only does stepped voltage! I'm a bit sad about this, is that something that can be addressed with a firmware update or is it just set? a bit like the eloquencer...
WMDevices
Ultra Wiggler

Post by WMDevices »

funqpatrol wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:36 am I've just heard that voltera only does stepped voltage! I'm a bit sad about this, is that something that can be addressed with a firmware update or is it just set? a bit like the eloquencer...
Smooth voltages are planned in a firmware update. Also you can use a slew limiter. Stepped voltages work very well for slow modulation effects that will in fact sound smooth, so you might be limiting yourself without having tried this.

Try running what you want as a smooth voltage through a Sample & Hold, clocked at 16th notes, and see if it's indeed smooth enough. You'll likely find that it is.
Check out the growing number of WMD Demo Videos | WMD Website
Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos »

WMDevices wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:47 pm

…a firmware update.
Since you brought it up…how’s that coming along?
Lotsa modules for sale/trade- check it out!

viewtopic.php?t=267547
WMDevices
Ultra Wiggler

Post by WMDevices »

Zymos wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:31 pm

…a firmware update.
Taking a lot of time but it is in the works.
superawesomecliff
Learning to Wiggle

Post by superawesomecliff »

Anybody know how to dim the lights on the Metron? :hail:
giftculture
Common Wiggler

Post by giftculture »

WMDevices wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:52 pm

…a firmware update.
That's very exciting to hear!

It would really be awesome to be able to copy a voltera step to other steps. A feature that I would really love would be to be able to use voltera compose scenes to dial in a sound (with multiple volteras) and then copy all of the voltera settings for that sound/ scene to one or more (or every) step in the respective track. Then each step could be individual fine tuned via individual step editing.

Likewise, it would be an awesome feature if a voltera track could be dialed in via soft takeover and then copy that value to one or more or every step in a track, which could then be fine tuned via individual step editing.

Either one (or hopefully both) of those features would increase my productivity/workflow 1000% and would be the last piece that would make the metron/voltera the perfect percussion and step sequencer for me (and frankly, would cause me to max out on volteras!) - surely I wouldn't be the only one!!
okayiquit
Common Wiggler

Post by okayiquit »

WMDevices wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:47 pm Smooth voltages are planned in a firmware update.
Awesome, I'm eagerly awaiting the update. Also crossing my fingers for a way to set a voltera channel to send out random voltages, these two features combined would basically replace a module for me.
Vanden92
Common Wiggler

Post by Vanden92 »

giftculture wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:11 pm

…a firmware update.

It would really be awesome to be able to copy a voltera step to other steps. A feature that I would really love would be to be able to use voltera compose scenes to dial in a sound (with multiple volteras) and then copy all of the voltera settings for that sound/ scene to one or more (or every) step in the respective track. Then each step could be individual fine tuned via individual step editing.

Likewise, it would be an awesome feature if a voltera track could be dialed in via soft takeover and then copy that value to one or more or every step in a track, which could then be fine tuned via individual step editing.

Either one (or hopefully both) of those features would increase my productivity/workflow 1000% and would be the last piece that would make the metron/voltera the perfect percussion and step sequencer for me (and frankly, would cause me to max out on volteras!) - surely I wouldn't be the only one!!
For your first idea, read up (or even better, watch Alex’s YT video) on Scenes with the Voltera. If I’ve understood you correctly, that’s what you’re after
James_S
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by James_S »

Really can't wait for the firmware update. Really hoping the number of scenes steps is expanded from the current 16. Smooth voltages will be amazing too, might have to get me another voltera or two.
WMDevices
Ultra Wiggler

Post by WMDevices »

James_S wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:41 am Really can't wait for the firmware update. Really hoping the number of scenes steps is expanded from the current 16. Smooth voltages will be amazing too, might have to get me another voltera or two.
Scene track length is separate and can be up to 256 with existing firmware. We can't add more than 16 total scenes per session though.
James_S
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by James_S »

WMDevices wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:23 am
James_S wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:41 am Really can't wait for the firmware update. Really hoping the number of scenes steps is expanded from the current 16. Smooth voltages will be amazing too, might have to get me another voltera or two.
Scene track length is separate and can be up to 256 with existing firmware. We can't add more than 16 total scenes per session though.
Yes, I was referring to the fact you can make 1 X 16 step sequence with scenes but then of course you're able to vary it somewhat by changing which steps are triggered. It's a shame in each project you can't at least have a new scenes for each variation, but I'm guessing it's beyond the capabilities. Ah well, that's a shame but thanks for the answer!
giftculture
Common Wiggler

Post by giftculture »

Vanden92 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:27 am
giftculture wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:11 pm

…a firmware update.

For your first idea, read up (or even better, watch Alex’s YT video) on Scenes with the Voltera. If I’ve understood you correctly, that’s what you’re after
It appears I wasn't clear enough concerning my feature request. I know about scenes , and in fact, reference them in my feature request - my feature request is to be able to take the multiple voltages (across one or more volteras) in the scene and basically move them from the scene view to one or more (or all) steps in a normal voltera track view. From that point forward, you could then just step edit the voltages as normal. The problem with scenes normally is that their voltera voltage values "fight" with the steps of the same voltera voltage lanes in the normal track sequencing view - they're great if you want exactly the same sound (comprised of a voltera compose scene ) on every step, but I want to use the scene to design a sound with one or more volteras, and then be able to basically fine tune them on a step-by-step basis, punch in record over them, etc... from the main track view.

Does that make sense?
matrg
Learning to Wiggle

Post by matrg »

Can I ask someone with a Metron to clarify something that I've read in the manual?

Section 6.3.4 'Alternate Events' am I correct in thinking this means you can set a step to (e.g.) 50% probability but then rather than the probability applying to whether the trigger happens or not, the coin toss can determine whether a ratchet fires or not? If you select an alternate event (ratchet or gate lengh) does the 'basic' single trigger always play?

Thanks for the help
DaytimeBender
Common Wiggler

Post by DaytimeBender »

I'm trying to recreate the beat from the first song on this video (in an effort to learn and get better at using my metron):

But I'm really struggling to be able to recreate the smooth kicks in the video. Everything I make on the metron comes out feeling stuttery and rigid. It's particularly that quick double kick that happens every few bars. Everything I try on the metron, I feel like it's just a little bit off where it should be.

My best guess is that the solution to this lies somewhere in the tempo and micro timing settings? I played around with both for a bit, but couldn't get something that felt "smooth". Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
My Beeps & Boops: Hadewig
meatbeatz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by meatbeatz »

Very happy to hear about plans for smooth output!
EvanBingham
Learning to Wiggle

Post by EvanBingham »

DaytimeBender wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:18 am I'm trying to recreate the beat from the first song on this video (in an effort to learn and get better at using my metron):

But I'm really struggling to be able to recreate the smooth kicks in the video. Everything I make on the metron comes out feeling stuttery and rigid. It's particularly that quick double kick that happens every few bars. Everything I try on the metron, I feel like it's just a little bit off where it should be.

My best guess is that the solution to this lies somewhere in the tempo and micro timing settings? I played around with both for a bit, but couldn't get something that felt "smooth". Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Sounds like you need to turn up the 'swing' on the kick drum. Looks like the user manual in section 5.5 refers to it as a "Per Track Shuffle"
Basically just hold the button to the left of any track you want, and turn the left-most knob clockwise. The numbers go 0-15 in how much swing you want. It's also covered in one of the youtube tutorials if I'm not being clear enough.
Seamus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Seamus »

Is there a way to, or is it maybe in the works in firmware to be able to, set a global accent/axxent track? I often want to do the old skool one accent track for every sound that you had on some drum machines, e.g. 808/606, and it is laborious to keep entering the same accent pattern on every track when this is all you want. Not to mention that it's easy to cock it up. It would be cool to be able to do one accent track, set it as global and have all axxent gates fire when it is active.
meatbeatz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by meatbeatz »

Seamus wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:09 am Is there a way to, or is it maybe in the works in firmware to be able to, set a global accent/axxent track? I often want to do the old skool one accent track for every sound that you had on some drum machines, e.g. 808/606, and it is laborious to keep entering the same accent pattern on every track when this is all you want. Not to mention that it's easy to cock it up. It would be cool to be able to do one accent track, set it as global and have all axxent gates fire when it is active.
You could mult a single channel to all of your accent inputs which will achieve the same result while leaving 15 axxent channels free to reset sequencers and LFO's etc.
Seamus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Seamus »

meatbeatz wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:03 am
Seamus wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:09 am Is there a way to, or is it maybe in the works in firmware to be able to, set a global accent/axxent track? I often want to do the old skool one accent track for every sound that you had on some drum machines, e.g. 808/606, and it is laborious to keep entering the same accent pattern on every track when this is all you want. Not to mention that it's easy to cock it up. It would be cool to be able to do one accent track, set it as global and have all axxent gates fire when it is active.
You could mult a single channel to all of your accent inputs which will achieve the same result while leaving 15 axxent channels free to reset sequencers and LFO's etc.
Yeah, that's the obvious one, I just didn't to waste a mult for it :hihi: You know how it is, everyone wants the moon on a stick to suit their particular use cases.
joeyfrench
Common Wiggler

Post by joeyfrench »

meatbeatz wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:17 pm Very happy to hear about plans for smooth output!
Did this ever happen?
beat4less
Common Wiggler

Post by beat4less »

Hi, before I ask directly to WMD : I would like to move my Voltera/Axxent above Metron (6U case, Metron at the bottom, Voltera would move at the top)
Unfortunately the cable is too short.
WMD sold this at some point https://wmdevices.com/products/cable-16 ... ron-axxent, but not anymore - anyway it would be hard to find in Europe.
Can I substitue this 8 pin cable with a classic 10/16 pin power cable ? With some pin unplugged... Maybe a very bad idea, I almost tried but stopped myself.
Otherwise, is it something I can find easily in an electronic shop ? Don't know the specs (neither in electronic).

Edit : I found a workaround in reversing the Axxent. Will see if it's playable.
Attachments
IMG_4157.JPG
grieben
Learning to Wiggle

Post by grieben »

beat4less wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:39 am Hi, before I ask directly to WMD : I would like to move my Voltera/Axxent above Metron (6U case, Metron at the bottom, Voltera would move at the top)
WMD sold this at some point https://wmdevices.com/products/cable-16 ... ron-axxent, but not anymore - anyway it would be hard to find in Europe.
Can I substitue this 8 pin cable with a classic 10/16 pin power cable ? With some pin unplugged... Maybe a very bad idea, I almost tried but stopped myself.
Otherwise, is it something I can find easily in an electronic shop ? Don't know the specs (neither in electronic).
I used a longer and bigger (more pins) power cable to connect my Metron to its expanders up in a higher row. You just have to be sure to line up the -12v stripe correctly on both. The "extra" pin-holes don't get used. Then you can link all the expanders together as usual with the little cables provided.
okayiquit
Common Wiggler

Post by okayiquit »

grieben wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:51 pm
beat4less wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:39 am Hi, before I ask directly to WMD : I would like to move my Voltera/Axxent above Metron (6U case, Metron at the bottom, Voltera would move at the top)
I used a longer and bigger (more pins) power cable to connect my Metron to its expanders up in a higher row. You just have to be sure to line up the -12v stripe correctly on both. The "extra" pin-holes don't get used. Then you can link all the expanders together as usual with the little cables provided.
I did the same thing, works fine. I've also done this with Galilean Moons/Jupiter Storm without issue.
beat4less
Common Wiggler

Post by beat4less »

okayiquit wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:10 pm
grieben wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:51 pm
beat4less wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:39 am ...
I did the same thing, works fine. I've also done this with Galilean Moons/Jupiter Storm without issue.
Good to know, thanks!

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”