WMD Metron sequencer

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
James_S
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: WMD Metron sequencer

Post by James_S »

Vanden92 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:22 am
James_S wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:16 am More than 16 steps in Stages is my main wish!!
Sorry, James, what do you mean by that exactly?
Sorry, I meant "scenes", not "stages".

I love creating Voltage block esqué pattens but being limited to 16 steps which are then all you have available for each variation is a bit frustrating. Even if they could allow you a fresh bank for each variation would be a huge improvement. Don't know if what I'm saying is making sense?
Vanden92
Common Wiggler

Post by Vanden92 »

James_S wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:29 am
James_S wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:16 am More than 16 steps in Stages is my main wish!!

I love creating Voltage block esqué pattens but being limited to 16 steps which are then all you have available for each variation is a bit frustrating. Even if they could allow you a fresh bank for each variation would be a huge improvement. Don't know if what I'm saying is making sense?
To be honest, I've not used scenes at all... I need to dig into them this weekend, starting with the WMD video on YT i guess.
James_S
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by James_S »

Vanden92 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:38 am To be honest, I've not used scenes at all... I need to dig into them this weekend, starting with the WMD video on YT i guess.
I pretty much use Metron as a combination of a Trigger and gate generator and a voltage block with my Metrons. I really need to dig into the other features as I'm barely scratching the surface, I'm sure.
Vanden92
Common Wiggler

Post by Vanden92 »

James_S wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:29 am

Just watched the video and I think I see what you mean: you can only have 16 different scenes, shared across all 5 variations?

Is it possible, if you have multiple Volteras, to have a set of scenes per Voltera? One handling chords and another for pre setting a drum module, as an example.
James_S
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by James_S »

Vanden92 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:20 am Just watched the video and I think I see what you mean: you can only have 16 different scenes, shared across all 5 variations?

Is it possible, if you have multiple Volteras, to have a set of scenes per Voltera? One handling chords and another for pre setting a drum module, as an example.
Scenes per voltera would also be an amazing addition. It's how you said regarding scenes. Even a forward/ back/ pendulum/ random for the sequencing would be a start.
BlendedAliases
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BlendedAliases »

I recently got my Metron+Voltera and have read the 33 pages of this thread :party:
I'm very happy with it, congratulations to the WMD team for this amazing tool.

Like many here I have way too much features request in mind. The interface and form factor is so great we can all think about ways to adapt the already very well designed gestures and button combos to our needs.

This is why my first request is a question: do WMD consider making the firmware open-source at some point ?
As a developer myself, I know how much it can be a scary and big step for a company, but it could lead to nice bug hunts and efficient feature update testing.

Also, with so many buttons available, some people could be able to make alternatives firmware with euclidian, clock dividers, turing machine or things similar to the Acid Rain Constellation, allowing the WMD team to focus on improving the X0X style sequencing.

For exemple, as a nanoloop user, I would love to try to make a version with the 4 tracks on the Matrix displayed as 4x4 square grids, like 4 Erica Drum Sequencer next to each other.
Yeah, it would be a lot of work just for making instant four-on-the-floor patterns with a single finger slide, but you get the idea.

In the meantime, here are my most wished features and +1

In FILL FX mode:

FILL FX is so perfect for performances I think most FUNCTION BUTTONS could be repurposed in that mode.
For exemple ENCODER 1 could change tempo without a press on [TEMPO] in that mode, allowing to change that button action.
Exiting FILL FX would only happen on another press on [FILL FX] or on a TRACK GROUP button.
  • Mute on button release
    The ability to press multiple mute buttons and release them simultaneously can massively help for making bigger transitions.
  • Mute Combo button
    Same spirit as above but more like in the WMD PM Mutes. Holding [TRACK 4] would allow multiple mute/unmute buttons selection, marked as Blinking LED for unmute and Breathing LED for mute, and then activate the selection on [TRACK 4] release.
  • Solo Combo button
    Holding [TRACK 3] then some mute buttons would temporary mute all other tracks until the mute buttons are pressed, and would stay in that configuration if you release [TRACK 3] before the buttons.
    [TRACK 3] could be repurposed since it's doing the same action as [TRACK 2].
  • Play/Stop button
    Maybe [GATE] could act as start/stop button when in FILL FX.
    For making breaks and drops, something even more useful in performance than a Play/Stop button would be a button that pause until pressed and reset on release, maybe the [TEMPO] button could be a good choice for that.
    Another option for achieving this is a global setting to make the [RESET] button and the RESET IN input pause the sequence while a gate is high (or holding the button) and reset+play when the gate goes low (or the button is released).
  • Playhead position display in Loop Select
    The Loop Select track should display the master track playhead position, it would greatly complement the CURRENT STEP display and give a good hint of what will be looped if a Loop Select button is pressed.
    I would also love if the Loop Select could allow to set start and end of loop when two buttons are pressed, but I can also imagine how hard work it is to implement that.
  • Roll Select sections with separate led brightness
    Just a cosmetic one, for exemple making P1 to P4 and P5 to P8 as Dim LED would improve readability in dark environments.
    Combined with the playhead position in Loop Select it could make FILL FX user experience even more pleasant and intuitive.

Global Setting:
To improve readability in the Matrix, it could be great to have a global setting that can change how LEDs are lightened.
  • Inside pattern length with trigger: Bright LED
  • Inside pattern length without trigger: Off LED
  • Outside pattern length with trigger: Breathing LED
  • Outside pattern length without trigger: Dim LED
It may sound counter-intuitive to some, but If you have doubts about this, go in an inactive page and put some triggers, the difference between Dim LED and Off LED is much more distinct than between Dim LED and Bright LED, and we spend way more time in active pages than inactives ones.

The Breathing LED is maybe the most confusing change, but in a way it can make sense that triggers in inactives part of the sequence are "waiting" to be played until you change pattern length.

Voltera:
+1 for assignable CV input to a voltera track.
+1 for assignable GATE input to randomise a step on a voltera track.
+1 for a voltera in the same form as the WMD 4TTEN (or as a big slider with 4 buttons and, why not, a random button).

I could go on, but I know that's already quite a lot.
Anyway I really hope most of these ideas are inspiring and possible to implement in some ways.
Metamyther
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Metamyther »

Have to say, WMD tutorial videos are among the best that I've seen (as a modular newbie). Seems necessary for something like the Metron which can get a bit deep in the features.
Metamyther: cinematic industrial in 3 movements.
http://www.metamyther.com

Modules for sale: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/2085762
Vanden92
Common Wiggler

Post by Vanden92 »

BlendedAliases wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:09 am I recently got my Metron+Voltera and have read the 33 pages of this thread :party:
I'm very happy with it, congratulations to the WMD team for this amazing tool.

Like many here I have way too much features request in mind. The interface and form factor is so great we can all think about ways to adapt the already very well designed gestures and button combos to our needs.

This is why my first request is a question: do WMD consider making the firmware open-source at some point ?
As a developer myself, I know how much it can be a scary and big step for a company, but it could lead to nice bug hunts and efficient feature update testing.

Also, with so many buttons available, some people could be able to make alternatives firmware with euclidian, clock dividers, turing machine or things similar to the Acid Rain Constellation, allowing the WMD team to focus on improving the X0X style sequencing.

For exemple, as a nanoloop user, I would love to try to make a version with the 4 tracks on the Matrix displayed as 4x4 square grids, like 4 Erica Drum Sequencer next to each other.
Yeah, it would be a lot of work just for making instant four-on-the-floor patterns with a single finger slide, but you get the idea.

In the meantime, here are my most wished features and +1

In FILL FX mode:

FILL FX is so perfect for performances I think most FUNCTION BUTTONS could be repurposed in that mode.
For exemple ENCODER 1 could change tempo without a press on [TEMPO] in that mode, allowing to change that button action.
Exiting FILL FX would only happen on another press on [FILL FX] or on a TRACK GROUP button.
  • Mute on button release
    The ability to press multiple mute buttons and release them simultaneously can massively help for making bigger transitions.
  • Mute Combo button
    Same spirit as above but more like in the WMD PM Mutes. Holding [TRACK 4] would allow multiple mute/unmute buttons selection, marked as Blinking LED for unmute and Breathing LED for mute, and then activate the selection on [TRACK 4] release.
  • Solo Combo button
    Holding [TRACK 3] then some mute buttons would temporary mute all other tracks until the mute buttons are pressed, and would stay in that configuration if you release [TRACK 3] before the buttons.
    [TRACK 3] could be repurposed since it's doing the same action as [TRACK 2].
  • Play/Stop button
    Maybe [GATE] could act as start/stop button when in FILL FX.
    For making breaks and drops, something even more useful in performance than a Play/Stop button would be a button that pause until pressed and reset on release, maybe the [TEMPO] button could be a good choice for that.
    Another option for achieving this is a global setting to make the [RESET] button and the RESET IN input pause the sequence while a gate is high (or holding the button) and reset+play when the gate goes low (or the button is released).
  • Playhead position display in Loop Select
    The Loop Select track should display the master track playhead position, it would greatly complement the CURRENT STEP display and give a good hint of what will be looped if a Loop Select button is pressed.
    I would also love if the Loop Select could allow to set start and end of loop when two buttons are pressed, but I can also imagine how hard work it is to implement that.
  • Roll Select sections with separate led brightness
    Just a cosmetic one, for exemple making P1 to P4 and P5 to P8 as Dim LED would improve readability in dark environments.
    Combined with the playhead position in Loop Select it could make FILL FX user experience even more pleasant and intuitive.

Global Setting:
To improve readability in the Matrix, it could be great to have a global setting that can change how LEDs are lightened.
  • Inside pattern length with trigger: Bright LED
  • Inside pattern length without trigger: Off LED
  • Outside pattern length with trigger: Breathing LED
  • Outside pattern length without trigger: Dim LED
It may sound counter-intuitive to some, but If you have doubts about this, go in an inactive page and put some triggers, the difference between Dim LED and Off LED is much more distinct than between Dim LED and Bright LED, and we spend way more time in active pages than inactives ones.

The Breathing LED is maybe the most confusing change, but in a way it can make sense that triggers in inactives part of the sequence are "waiting" to be played until you change pattern length.

Voltera:
+1 for assignable CV input to a voltera track.
+1 for assignable GATE input to randomise a step on a voltera track.
+1 for a voltera in the same form as the WMD 4TTEN (or as a big slider with 4 buttons and, why not, a random button).

I could go on, but I know that's already quite a lot.
Anyway I really hope most of these ideas are inspiring and possible to implement in some ways.
The mute combo you mention is already covered, if I’ve understood correctly. Watch the full fx video in the wmd YouTube channel for a run through
Brad s
Common Wiggler

Post by Brad s »

Here’s the video:

https://youtu.be/wpTGHf6K2rg
BlendedAliases
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BlendedAliases »

Vanden92 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:17 am
BlendedAliases wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:09 am I recently got my Metron+Voltera and have read the 33 pages of this thread :party:
[...]
Mute Combo button
[...]
The mute combo you mention is already covered, if I’ve understood correctly. Watch the full fx video in the wmd YouTube channel for a run through
Not exactly, I didn't explained in details how Mute Combo button works because my post was already too long.
The feature to which you refer are Mute Scenes, let me explain the difference.

Mute Combo button is inspired by the WMD PM Mutes and LPZW Schleußig.

Basically, you hold the Combo button, then press various mute buttons, but nothing happen until you release the Combo button, it helps muting/unmuting multiple tracks synchronously, and is perfect to make drops on the beat.

That video shows how PM Mute combo button work, and is exactly what I wish for the Metron.
But you can also check this one explaining the Schleußig for more advanced ideas like syncing the mute state change at the beginning of a bar, really similar to the metron Variation change at the end of a Variation that is a killer feature that free your hands just before a drop.

Mute Scenes are also very powerful and can achieve similar results as Mute Combo button, but require you to prepare well though scenes before a performance.

Both features can be super complementary, if you are on a mute state you like during a performance, you can save it as a Mute Scene, do a quick dramatic change using Mute Combo button for making a break, then recall the exact same previous mute state using the saved Mute Scene.
stephentrask
Veteran Wiggler

Post by stephentrask »

Metamyther wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:07 am Have to say, WMD tutorial videos are among the best that I've seen (as a modular newbie). Seems necessary for something like the Metron which can get a bit deep in the features.
Agreed! 100%
i don't know what I'm doing but I sure like doing it.
elphenden
Common Wiggler

Post by elphenden »

BlendedAliases, excellent well explained posts and I agree, all of those additions would be awesome for performability.
collinember
Common Wiggler

Post by collinember »

I need your help pls.

I use my metron w/ 2 volteras daily, so I think I know my way around. Today though the sequencer suddenly doesn't send gates/triggers any more. Triggering manually via Fill FX works as expected, but no gates on the Sequence. Any idea what might be the problem? I was looking for a complete reset ( like reboot) but couldn't find that.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!
James_S
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by James_S »

collinember wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:51 am I need your help pls.

I use my metron w/ 2 volteras daily, so I think I know my way around. Today though the sequencer suddenly doesn't send gates/triggers any more. Triggering manually via Fill FX works as expected, but no gates on the Sequence. Any idea what might be the problem? I was looking for a complete reset ( like reboot) but couldn't find that.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!
You could try "init settings" from the global menu as per page 46 of the manual?
collinember
Common Wiggler

Post by collinember »

you're my hero! overlooked that, and now I also see that my printed manual is outdated. Thanks alot! It's working !!
James_S
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by James_S »

collinember wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:43 am you're my hero! overlooked that, and now I also see that my printed manual is outdated. Thanks alot! It's working !!
Great news! Glad to know there's a fix.
Metamyther
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Metamyther »

Hey fam, just picked up a Metron and 2 Volterras (my first modules ever in fact) and upon installation I notice one of the Volterras "select" button is not illuminated. As I got it used, I wonder if there's some sort of factory reset for the Volterras that I would need to perform, or some setting elsewhere that would affect this behavior? Trying to determine if this is a faulty unit. Both Volterras undergo their animation startup sequence and seem to interact with Metron. I can also confirm I'm on firmware 1.4 and I did use the terminal jumpers in installation. (As I'm a bit of a newbie, if there is a WMD forum to better post this troubleshooting stuff please let me know). Thanks all.

collinember
Common Wiggler

Post by collinember »

my metron is not connected anymore, but if I remember right it is not always on. Push and hold it to work and to be illuminated. Or is not illuminated no matter what you do?
Metamyther
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Metamyther »

collinember wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:27 am my metron is not connected anymore, but if I remember right it is not always on. Push and hold it to work and to be illuminated. Or is not illuminated no matter what you do?
It's not illuminated whatever I do - but the other one does have the Select knob illuminated.

I noticed that tracks 1 and 2 on the Metron were not illuminated as well (almost like a mute) and when I did factory reset they came back. Wondering if there was something similar with the Volterras.

(Btw I do have an email out to WMD about this but just seeing if anyone here knew a quick fix.)

Vanden92
Common Wiggler

Post by Vanden92 »

Metamyther wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:30 am
collinember wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:27 am my metron is not connected anymore, but if I remember right it is not always on. Push and hold it to work and to be illuminated. Or is not illuminated no matter what you do?
It's not illuminated whatever I do - but the other one does have the Select knob illuminated.

I noticed that tracks 1 and 2 on the Metron were not illuminated as well (almost like a mute) and when I did factory reset they came back. Wondering if there was something similar with the Volterras.

(Btw I do have an email out to WMD about this but just seeing if anyone here knew a quick fix.)
Just a thought, but do you have the additional headers connected correctly on the back, after the Volteras were installed?
WMDevices
Ultra Wiggler

Post by WMDevices »

Metamyther wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:50 am Hey fam, just picked up a Metron and 2 Volterras (my first modules ever in fact) and upon installation I notice one of the Volterras "select" button is not illuminated. As I got it used, I wonder if there's some sort of factory reset for the Volterras that I would need to perform, or some setting elsewhere that would affect this behavior? Trying to determine if this is a faulty unit. Both Volterras undergo their animation startup sequence and seem to interact with Metron. I can also confirm I'm on firmware 1.4 and I did use the terminal jumpers in installation. (As I'm a bit of a newbie, if there is a WMD forum to better post this troubleshooting stuff please let me know). Thanks all.
Could be intermittent soldering on the switch itself. The LEDs on those buttons have been a source of pain for us. Please Contact Us

If you have an iron, it's an easy fix to DIY and we'll cover you under warranty still.
Check out the growing number of WMD Demo Videos | WMD Website
Metamyther
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Metamyther »

WMDevices wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:22 am
Metamyther wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:50 am Hey fam, just picked up a Metron and 2 Volterras (my first modules ever in fact) and upon installation I notice one of the Volterras "select" button is not illuminated. As I got it used, I wonder if there's some sort of factory reset for the Volterras that I would need to perform, or some setting elsewhere that would affect this behavior? Trying to determine if this is a faulty unit. Both Volterras undergo their animation startup sequence and seem to interact with Metron. I can also confirm I'm on firmware 1.4 and I did use the terminal jumpers in installation. (As I'm a bit of a newbie, if there is a WMD forum to better post this troubleshooting stuff please let me know). Thanks all.
Could be intermittent soldering on the switch itself. The LEDs on those buttons have been a source of pain for us. Please Contact Us

If you have an iron, it's an easy fix to DIY and we'll cover you under warranty still.
@Vanden92 I did some troubleshooting, taking the Volterra that worked correctly out of the equation entirely, am getting the same issue. See attached, as far as I know the red line snakes to where it should and the terminators are in place correctly with the white dot in the bottom right.
0614221108.jpg
Are there different kinds of jumpers (different for Metron vs. Volterra)?

@WMD I filled out the contact form on Sunday at some point. If you like, please message me or respond to the email and we can go from there. I'm not super handy but we'll see...

WMDevices
Ultra Wiggler

Post by WMDevices »

Metamyther wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:14 am

@Vanden92 I did some troubleshooting, taking the Volterra that worked correctly out of the equation entirely, am getting the same issue. See attached, as far as I know the red line snakes to where it should and the terminators are in place correctly with the white dot in the bottom right. 0614221108.jpg

@WMD I filled out the contact form on Sunday at some point. If you like, please message me or respond to the email and we can go from there. I'm not super handy but we'll see...
Yes, it's connected correctly. If everything works EXCEPT the LED, you get the power up flashing sequence, etc.... then yeah it's the stupid LED....Alex should be in touch about it. Easiest thing to do is look at the soldering on the side legs of the LED and add a little solder. Sometimes the legs make contact with the solder, but don't fully wet to the leg, and it'll look like the leg is floating above a pillow of solder. hitting that and pushing with an iron should take care of fixing it.

We're happy to fix it for you as well.
Check out the growing number of WMD Demo Videos | WMD Website
Metamyther
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Metamyther »

WMDevices wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:46 pm
Metamyther wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:14 am

@Vanden92 I did some troubleshooting, taking the Volterra that worked correctly out of the equation entirely, am getting the same issue. See attached, as far as I know the red line snakes to where it should and the terminators are in place correctly with the white dot in the bottom right. 0614221108.jpg

Yes, it's connected correctly. If everything works EXCEPT the LED, you get the power up flashing sequence, etc.... then yeah it's the stupid LED....Alex should be in touch about it. Easiest thing to do is look at the soldering on the side legs of the LED and add a little solder. Sometimes the legs make contact with the solder, but don't fully wet to the leg, and it'll look like the leg is floating above a pillow of solder. hitting that and pushing with an iron should take care of fixing it.

We're happy to fix it for you as well.
uhm, i'll just opt for the 2nd option. this is a rookie talking. literally just getting into eurorack, so i'm not about to screw with that stuff - going to leave to the pros. looking forward to hearing from you.

beat4less
Common Wiggler

Post by beat4less »

Hi, I’m thinking of selling some Voltera / Axxent and wondering
- Is a EXP-TERM covers included in each box when it’s new ?
- Does a « naked » (without expander) Metron need a EXP-TERM cover on his EXP connectors ? If it does, on the both or one is enough ?
I’m lost, thanks

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”