Befaco Muxlicer

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Post Reply
danishchairs
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 382
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:10 am

Re: Befaco Muxlicer

Post by danishchairs »

johannes wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:55 pm Hey and thanks for the suggestions.

I just tested the mux in a empty doepfer case, to make sure that the high freq isnt a interference from an other module. (I directly plug my headphones into com out😜)
The high freq is still there. Also with the mux stoped or on a static step. But the level of the high freq depends on the slider position. At bottom position it disappears and the higher the sliders are set the louder is the high freq.
My electronics is a little rusty, so please take that into consideration in what follows.

If the problem can’t be solved by adjusting the cv range, then it’s likely going to require some troubleshooting under the hood. (If the module is new, you may be able to get it replaced.)

Plug a dummy cable into the “ALL IN” jack. If the high pitch doesn’t change, then the problem is likely downstream from the cv range circuitry. If the high pitch goes away, then the problem is possibly in the cv range circuitry, perhaps in the analog circuit around op amp IC1A.

johannes wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:55 pm I dont have a scope here. But from what i hear at the minimum range the high freq is completely gone, at max its barely listenable and in between its most prominent. I can make a recording… do you had something specific in mind to watch out ob the scope?
Well, a scope might be able to indicate if the noise is analog or digital, which might help narrow down where the problem is coming from. It could also show how the signal changes as you move the sliders. That might help narrow down the possible problem components.

Sound precedes music | Instruments for Neb2 module

User avatar
Dob
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 566
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:17 pm

Re: Befaco Muxlicer

Post by Dob »

stylesforfree wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:44 pm Does anyone use the Muxlicer with a squid salmple or assimil8or?
I use it a lot with Morphagene. The input is normalled to 10v though, which is pretty high. I.e. the sliders will go from 0 to 10 volts, as of standard.
User avatar
johannes
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 496
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:31 pm

Re: Befaco Muxlicer

Post by johannes »

danishchairs wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:44 am
johannes wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:55 pm Hey and thanks for the suggestions.

I just tested the mux in a empty doepfer case, to make sure that the high freq isnt a interference from an other module. (I directly plug my headphones into com out😜)
The high freq is still there. Also with the mux stoped or on a static step. But the level of the high freq depends on the slider position. At bottom position it disappears and the higher the sliders are set the louder is the high freq.
My electronics is a little rusty, so please take that into consideration in what follows.

If the problem can’t be solved by adjusting the cv range, then it’s likely going to require some troubleshooting under the hood. (If the module is new, you may be able to get it replaced.)

Plug a dummy cable into the “ALL IN” jack. If the high pitch doesn’t change, then the problem is likely downstream from the cv range circuitry. If the high pitch goes away, then the problem is possibly in the cv range circuitry, perhaps in the analog circuit around op amp IC1A.

johannes wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:55 pm I dont have a scope here. But from what i hear at the minimum range the high freq is completely gone, at max its barely listenable and in between its most prominent. I can make a recording… do you had something specific in mind to watch out ob the scope?
Well, a scope might be able to indicate if the noise is analog or digital, which might help narrow down where the problem is coming from. It could also show how the signal changes as you move the sliders. That might help narrow down the possible problem components.
Thanks again for your feedback. I appreciate it!
I experimented a bit more:

Patching a low freq saw into “mux” input 1 and patching “com out” to my mixer. When i address step 1 i can hear the saw without any high freq noise. Switching to one of the other steps and i can clearly hear the high freq. (i noticed that adjusting the range doesnt seem to effect input/ output level of the mux)
Patching a dummy cable instead of a saw results in silence.

Patching a dummy cable to “all in” and patch “com out” to my mixer results also in silence. Accordingly when i patch a signal instead of the dummy cable there will be no noise on the com output either. Same is true when i patch a signal into “com in” and patch from “mux” out to mixer. No high freq noise.

I think the cv range circuity is definitely the place to check first… right?
User avatar
grrrwaaa
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 369
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:00 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: Befaco Muxlicer

Post by grrrwaaa »

Dob wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:26 pm
stylesforfree wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:44 pm Does anyone use the Muxlicer with a squid salmple or assimil8or?
I use it a lot with Morphagene. The input is normalled to 10v though, which is pretty high. I.e. the sliders will go from 0 to 10 volts, as of standard.
Manual p3: " CV Range Holding the encoder down and pressing the Play Switch Up or down at the same time (without releasing the encoder), will adjust the range of the CV at Com I/O. Longer holds of the Play Switch will increase or decrease the CV Range drastically, while shorter presses will change the value in small increments."
danishchairs
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 382
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:10 am

Re: Befaco Muxlicer

Post by danishchairs »

johannes wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:31 pm
Thanks again for your feedback. I appreciate it!

… snip …

I think the cv range circuity is definitely the place to check first… right?
I agree. The first thing to look for is a cold solder joint. If you find one, it will be easy to fix.

I’m attaching an image of part of the schematic. I’ve circled the components close to the analog portion of the cv range range circuit. Look there first. If you find a cold solder joint, reheat it till it looks / tests good.

There are a few other joints / components near the ones I’ve circled. Check them if all the circled ones look / test good.

Image
Attachments
64BAE916-1345-4814-8CA8-F0FA56BEFE19.jpeg

Sound precedes music | Instruments for Neb2 module

User avatar
airfrankenstein
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 618
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:22 pm
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Befaco Muxlicer

Post by airfrankenstein »

Got mine yesterday. followed the documentation up on befaco's site regarding cable orientation.
It seems to work best with very snappy envelopes otherwise you get ghost notes which can be interesting but that's not the reason I purchased this module. The demo by synth diy guy used a percall.
I was hoping to be able to use the external gate with the behringer 182 sequencers but it's not working so great. Gate steps are skipped. Have yet to understand what's going on.

Befacosynth wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:43 am
antonriehl wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:12 pm My MEX just showed up today! Excited to test it out... It's not totally clear to me how to orient the expander cable on the Muxlicer side (it's pretty clear on the the MEX side...)

Does anyone else know?
Your dealer sent you the module a week before launch, so documentation has not been made public yet. Module will be released the 27th
Please address it with them. Maybe like that we can avoid other people's suffering :)
User avatar
modwiggler
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu May 13, 2021 3:13 pm
Location: modwiggler

Re: Befaco Muxlicer

Post by modwiggler »

airfrankenstein wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:29 am It seems to work best with very snappy envelopes otherwise you get ghost notes which can be interesting but that's not the reason I purchased this module. The demo by synth diy guy used a percall.
If you have a sample&hold available you can use that to avoid the ghost notes. Just sample the pitch CV when the gate fires and route the output of the S&H to the V/O input.

I always have a quantiser with build-in S&H before my oscillators. Makes it easy to use independent pitch / gate sources.
User avatar
modwiggler
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu May 13, 2021 3:13 pm
Location: modwiggler

Re: Befaco Muxlicer

Post by modwiggler »

beat4less asked (but then for some reason withdrew their question – perhaps they didn't want to derail the discussion of Muxlicer and MEX):
modwiggler wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:40 am I always have a quantiser with build-in S&H before my oscillators. Makes it easy to use independent pitch / gate sources.
Which module do you have or would you suggest ?
I have the ADDAC 207 "Intuitive Quantizer" – which is neat because it has four channels sharing a common scale. It does not eat a lot of HP, but it is quite deep – so it might not fit in a shallow skiff. I found the documentation difficult to understand, but there are quite a lot of good features – and the basic operations are all easy to use. But, I haven't tried the alternatives – like Intellijel Scales and Ornament&Crime – so, I don't know how they compare.
User avatar
airfrankenstein
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 618
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:22 pm
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Befaco Muxlicer

Post by airfrankenstein »

@modwiggler Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have a proper sample&hold at the moment Rereading your suggestion, I wonder however if I used the correct term when I said ghost notes. Actually what's happening is that I hear the notes whose gates have been turned off when my envelope has mor than the slightest decay time.
My muxlicer being scaled to 10v I've found that I can "turn off" gates by pushing my notes beyond the audio range. Obviously it's less practical.
I'm really up in the air about keeping this module : I'd been awaiting its release but think now that maybe I misunderstood what it's about. I'm looking for a way to mute notes.
modwiggler wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:40 am
airfrankenstein wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:29 am It seems to work best with very snappy envelopes otherwise you get ghost notes which can be interesting but that's not the reason I purchased this module. The demo by synth diy guy used a percall.
If you have a sample&hold available you can use that to avoid the ghost notes. Just sample the pitch CV when the gate fires and route the output of the S&H to the V/O input.

I always have a quantiser with build-in S&H before my oscillators. Makes it easy to use independent pitch / gate sources.
etckla
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:12 pm

Re: Befaco Muxlicer

Post by etckla »

airfrankenstein wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:46 am Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have a proper sample and hold at the moment but I have a doepfer a-156 quantizer. Rereading your suggestion, I wonder however if I used the correct term when I said ghost notes. Actually what's happening is that I hear the notes whose gates have been turned off when my envelope has mor than the slightest decay time.
My muxlicer being scaled to 10v I've found that I can "turn off" gates by pushing my notes beyond the audio range. Obviously it's less practical.
I'm really up in the air about keeping this module : I'd been awaiting its release but think now that maybe I misunderstood what it's about. I'm looking for a way to mute notes.
modwiggler wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:40 am
airfrankenstein wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:29 am It seems to work best with very snappy envelopes otherwise you get ghost notes which can be interesting but that's not the reason I purchased this module. The demo by synth diy guy used a percall.
If you have a sample&hold available you can use that to avoid the ghost notes. Just sample the pitch CV when the gate fires and route the output of the S&H to the V/O input.

I always have a quantiser with build-in S&H before my oscillators. Makes it easy to use independent pitch / gate sources.
I may be misunderstanding your issue but it seems to me that you're looking to create rests in your sequence? And you can't do that because you always hear the next note coming in (using anything other than a very short envelope)?

My advice would be to separate out thinking about "gates" (the pulses that it produces from gate/clock outs, and which trigggers your envelope for a VCA) and "pitch cv" (a continuous stream of cv that comes out of mux io)

Gates: There are a few ways to "silence" or skip gates on Muxlicer but none are very straightforward. You can:
- Use cv to address the "gate mode" input (low cv will silence the gate, high cv will create a ratcheting effect)
- taking the per step gates out you want and mix them.
- take the per step gate out you want silenced, invert and offset it, and use this to open and close a VCA through which you run the "all gates" pattern.

None of these are very practical for a simple use case, which I guess is why they made the Mex expander - it gives you a much easier way to adjust your gate patterns.

Now onto Pitch CV: Even if you get the gate pattern you want, you're still going to hear unwanted notes in your sequence with longer envelopes as you described. That's because unpatched the Muxlicer is literally just going to continously emit the cv pitch pattern that you've set the sliders to.

Like previous poster said, this is exactly what a sample and hold module is for. A quantiser is something else entirely and won't help you here

Edit: Apologies I should have checked earlier, but I think your quantiser takes a trigger in, so it will solve your problem.

A sample and hold will take a) your chosen gate pattern b) your pitch cv. When it gets a gate or trigger pulse it will grab whatever the pitch cv is at that exact time, and hold it steady until it gets the next gate/trigger. It will ignore any notes changes inbetween, you'll be able to use envelopes of whatever length you like (until you get to your next gate and the pitch changes again)

The awesome thing about this I'd that if you have 2 different sample and holds and trigger sequences you can use that to derive different patterns from the same pitch cv.

Edit: all of this applies to your quantiser as well, plus you'll get the signal quantised however you like. Just make sure you trigger your quantiser with an appropriate gate pattern.

Hope this helps.
User avatar
airfrankenstein
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 618
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:22 pm
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Befaco Muxlicer

Post by airfrankenstein »

@etckla
Thanks you understood exactly what I was trying to state and i greatly appreciate your instructive reply - it’s spot on and really helps me better understand how the different modules function and how a sample&hold or the a-156 can come into play. Will experiment this evening when I get home.
One last question to make sure I’ve understood as per using the a-156 the only caveat will be that my notes will be quantized - if I don’t want that then I should get a sample&hold. Is that correct?
Thanks again
etckla
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:12 pm

Re: Befaco Muxlicer

Post by etckla »

airfrankenstein wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:58 am @etckla
Thanks you understood exactly what I was trying to state and i greatly appreciate your instructive reply - it’s spot on and really helps me better understand how the different modules function and how a sample&hold or the a-156 can come into play. Will experiment this evening when I get home.
One last question to make sure I’ve understood as per using the a-156 the only caveat will be that my notes will be quantized - if I don’t want that then I should get a sample&hold. Is that correct?
Thanks again
Cool! Hope it works out.

Yes - I don't know the a-156 but I assume it will quantise whatever you put into it!
User avatar
airfrankenstein
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 618
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:22 pm
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Befaco Muxlicer

Post by airfrankenstein »

mex working great with the a-156 to avoid bleedthrough of unwanted notes!
i have to check again to see if the gate ratcheting works through the quantizer though - it didn't seem to last night.
looks like a good time to explore a sample and hold module.


etckla wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:34 am
airfrankenstein wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:58 am @etckla
Thanks you understood exactly what I was trying to state and i greatly appreciate your instructive reply - it’s spot on and really helps me better understand how the different modules function and how a sample&hold or the a-156 can come into play. Will experiment this evening when I get home.
One last question to make sure I’ve understood as per using the a-156 the only caveat will be that my notes will be quantized - if I don’t want that then I should get a sample&hold. Is that correct?
Thanks again
Cool! Hope it works out.

Yes - I don't know the a-156 but I assume it will quantise whatever you put into it!
etckla
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:12 pm

Re: Befaco Muxlicer

Post by etckla »

Great to hear.

I wouldn't expect the note to change during the ratcheting if you were using Muxlicer as the pitch cv source - unless you introduced some slew to the pitch cv before the quantiser. Or you could of course introduce a totally different modulation source for your pitch cv!

What are you trying to make happen?
airfrankenstein wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:13 am mex working great with the a-156 to avoid bleedthrough of unwanted notes!
i have to check again to see if the gate ratcheting works through the quantizer though - it didn't seem to last night.
looks like a good time to explore a sample and hold module.


etckla wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:34 am
airfrankenstein wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:58 am @etckla
Thanks you understood exactly what I was trying to state and i greatly appreciate your instructive reply - it’s spot on and really helps me better understand how the different modules function and how a sample&hold or the a-156 can come into play. Will experiment this evening when I get home.
One last question to make sure I’ve understood as per using the a-156 the only caveat will be that my notes will be quantized - if I don’t want that then I should get a sample&hold. Is that correct?
Thanks again
Cool! Hope it works out.

Yes - I don't know the a-156 but I assume it will quantise whatever you put into it!
User avatar
airfrankenstein
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 618
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:22 pm
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Befaco Muxlicer

Post by airfrankenstein »

all seems ok i think my gate was just too long with regards to the clock.
INot to derail the thread but in the meantime I began looking at the Befaco Sampling Modulator which seems to have some similar features as the Mex combined with a sample and hold. Thinking maybe I could use that to replace both the mex and a sample and hold.

https://befaco.org/docs/Sampling_Modula ... Manual.pdf


etckla wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:14 am Great to hear.

I wouldn't expect the note to change during the ratcheting if you were using Muxlicer as the pitch cv source - unless you introduced some slew to the pitch cv before the quantiser. Or you could of course introduce a totally different modulation source for your pitch cv!

What are you trying to make happen?
airfrankenstein wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:13 am mex working great with the a-156 to avoid bleedthrough of unwanted notes!
i have to check again to see if the gate ratcheting works through the quantizer though - it didn't seem to last night.
looks like a good time to explore a sample and hold module.


etckla wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:34 am
airfrankenstein wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:58 am @etckla
Thanks you understood exactly what I was trying to state and i greatly appreciate your instructive reply - it’s spot on and really helps me better understand how the different modules function and how a sample&hold or the a-156 can come into play. Will experiment this evening when I get home.
One last question to make sure I’ve understood as per using the a-156 the only caveat will be that my notes will be quantized - if I don’t want that then I should get a sample&hold. Is that correct?
Thanks again
Cool! Hope it works out.

Yes - I don't know the a-156 but I assume it will quantise whatever you put into it!
Last edited by airfrankenstein on Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
airfrankenstein
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 618
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:22 pm
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Befaco Muxlicer

Post by airfrankenstein »

Isn't there a switch on the pcb that allows it to function at 5 volts?

Dob wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:26 pm
stylesforfree wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:44 pm Does anyone use the Muxlicer with a squid salmple or assimil8or?
I use it a lot with Morphagene. The input is normalled to 10v though, which is pretty high. I.e. the sliders will go from 0 to 10 volts, as of standard.
danishchairs
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 382
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:10 am

Re: Befaco Muxlicer

Post by danishchairs »

airfrankenstein wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:32 am Isn't there a switch on the pcb that allows it to function at 5 volts?

Dob wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:26 pm
stylesforfree wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:44 pm Does anyone use the Muxlicer with a squid salmple or assimil8or?
I use it a lot with Morphagene. The input is normalled to 10v though, which is pretty high. I.e. the sliders will go from 0 to 10 volts, as of standard.
You're right — there is a switch on the backside of the circuit board to select the voltage range of the Address CV input.

The voltage range available at Com I/O is also set-able. It is normaled to All In. If nothing is connected to All In, and nothing is connected to the Mux I/Os, then the voltage range from All In is available at Com I/O. That voltage range can be set. From the manual:
Muxlicer manual wrote:Holding the encoder down and pressing the Play Switch Up or down at the same time (without releasing the encoder), will adjust the range of the CV at Com I/O. Longer holds of the Play Switch will increase or decrease the CV Range drastically, while shorter presses will change the value in small increments.

Sound precedes music | Instruments for Neb2 module

Wubz
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 362
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:56 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Befaco Muxlicer

Post by Wubz »

Hey all. Anyone can help me update firmware plz?
I thought I had everything I need but I don't have the 10 pin to 6 pin adapter for the USBASP programmer. Is pin 1 on PCBs always indicated with the triangle pointer? Can I just connect individual wires from the 10pin header on the programmer to the 6 pin header on the muxlicer. Does the adapter do any more than just that? I cannot get an adapter for weeks delivered to Canada.
User avatar
LDT
The Modu-Lars
Posts: 1457
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:21 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Contact:

Re: Befaco Muxlicer

Post by LDT »

I just realised that my Muxlicer is not able to multiply its tempo from incoming clock. Example: I am feeding it a regular 1/16th note clock. It follows. It can do slower tempos (dividing), but if I go to multiplication it just goes straight to “highest audio rate possible”- fast. This happens even at a slow bpm such as 70bpm.
Should I assume that it is in need of repair?
I am sure it worked as expected earlier on, but I have recently put it in a new case, so theoreticly something could have happened in that process.
(BTW it is a factory build.)
etckla
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:12 pm

Re: Befaco Muxlicer

Post by etckla »

LDT wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:29 am I just realised that my Muxlicer is not able to multiply its tempo from incoming clock. Example: I am feeding it a regular 1/16th note clock. It follows. It can do slower tempos (dividing), but if I go to multiplication it just goes straight to “highest audio rate possible”- fast. This happens even at a slow bpm such as 70bpm.
Should I assume that it is in need of repair?
I am sure it worked as expected earlier on, but I have recently put it in a new case, so theoreticly something could have happened in that process.
(BTW it is a factory build.)
Just tested and I get similar (though different) buggy behaviour when externally clocked. This has always bothered me but never quite figured out what is going on, I think Ive just done any division outside the module. Also factory build.

For me one click either way jumps to x8 multiplication. Then another click jumps to ÷16 division, then back to x8 multi, and so on. Sometimes it takes more than one click to jump from one to thw other.

The strange thing is that clock out division (press and turn) seems to work just fine.
etckla
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:12 pm

Re: Befaco Muxlicer

Post by etckla »

etckla wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:28 pm
LDT wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:29 am I just realised that my Muxlicer is not able to multiply its tempo from incoming clock. Example: I am feeding it a regular 1/16th note clock. It follows. It can do slower tempos (dividing), but if I go to multiplication it just goes straight to “highest audio rate possible”- fast. This happens even at a slow bpm such as 70bpm.
Should I assume that it is in need of repair?
I am sure it worked as expected earlier on, but I have recently put it in a new case, so theoreticly something could have happened in that process.
(BTW it is a factory build.)
Just tested and I get similar (though different) buggy behaviour when externally clocked. This has always bothered me but never quite figured out what is going on, I think Ive just done any division outside the module. Also factory build.

For me one click either way jumps to x8 multiplication. Then another click jumps to ÷16 division, then back to x8 multi, and so on. Sometimes it takes more than one click to jump from one to thw other.

The strange thing is that clock out division (press and turn) seems to work just fine.
Oh weird, I think this might be something to do with the "remove non quadratic divisions" setting because when I turn that off I get much more normal behaviour.

Have you checked that setting?

Edit: urg, still seems touchy/borked
Edit 2: for me once you get to a certain extreme of division or multiplication it gets into the "x8 ÷16" failure mode
danishchairs
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 382
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:10 am

Re: Befaco Muxlicer

Post by danishchairs »

etckla wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:41 pm
etckla wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:28 pm
LDT wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:29 am I just realised that my Muxlicer is not able to multiply its tempo from incoming clock. Example: I am feeding it a regular 1/16th note clock. It follows. It can do slower tempos (dividing), but if I go to multiplication it just goes straight to “highest audio rate possible”- fast. This happens even at a slow bpm such as 70bpm.
Should I assume that it is in need of repair?
I am sure it worked as expected earlier on, but I have recently put it in a new case, so theoreticly something could have happened in that process.
(BTW it is a factory build.)
Just tested and I get similar (though different) buggy behaviour when externally clocked. This has always bothered me but never quite figured out what is going on, I think Ive just done any division outside the module. Also factory build.

For me one click either way jumps to x8 multiplication. Then another click jumps to ÷16 division, then back to x8 multi, and so on. Sometimes it takes more than one click to jump from one to thw other.

The strange thing is that clock out division (press and turn) seems to work just fine.
Oh weird, I think this might be something to do with the "remove non quadratic divisions" setting because when I turn that off I get much more normal behaviour.

Have you checked that setting?

Edit: urg, still seems touchy/borked
Edit 2: for me once you get to a certain extreme of division or multiplication it gets into the "x8 ÷16" failure mode
I am getting the kind of behavior I'm expecting, but I wonder if I'm testing it the same way you are.
  • I'm putting a square wave clock signal (0-5 v) into the Muxlicer's Clock In. (I can watch this signal on one channel of Data.)
  • I'm looking at the output of Muxlicer's Clock Out on another channel of Data.
  • I'm looking at the Muxlicer's All Gates output on yet another channel of Data.
If I adjust the speed of the clock, both outputs change as expected.
If I adjust the Speed Div/Mult encoder without pushing it in while turning, only the output of the All Gates output changes (as expected).
If I adjust the Speed Div/Mult encoder while holding it in while turning, only the output of the Clock Out output changes (as expected).

Sound precedes music | Instruments for Neb2 module

User avatar
LDT
The Modu-Lars
Posts: 1457
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:21 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Contact:

Re: Befaco Muxlicer

Post by LDT »

etckla wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:28 pm
LDT wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:29 am I just realised that my Muxlicer is not able to multiply its tempo from incoming clock. Example: I am feeding it a regular 1/16th note clock. It follows. It can do slower tempos (dividing), but if I go to multiplication it just goes straight to “highest audio rate possible”- fast. This happens even at a slow bpm such as 70bpm.
Should I assume that it is in need of repair?
I am sure it worked as expected earlier on, but I have recently put it in a new case, so theoreticly something could have happened in that process.
(BTW it is a factory build.)
Just tested and I get similar (though different) buggy behaviour when externally clocked. This has always bothered me but never quite figured out what is going on, I think Ive just done any division outside the module. Also factory build.

For me one click either way jumps to x8 multiplication. Then another click jumps to ÷16 division, then back to x8 multi, and so on. Sometimes it takes more than one click to jump from one to thw other.

The strange thing is that clock out division (press and turn) seems to work just fine.


Yup, out division works just fine.🤷🏼‍♂️
etckla
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:12 pm

Re: Befaco Muxlicer

Post by etckla »

danishchairs wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:24 pm
etckla wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:41 pm
etckla wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:28 pm
LDT wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:29 am I just realised that my Muxlicer is not able to multiply its tempo from incoming clock. Example: I am feeding it a regular 1/16th note clock. It follows. It can do slower tempos (dividing), but if I go to multiplication it just goes straight to “highest audio rate possible”- fast. This happens even at a slow bpm such as 70bpm.
Should I assume that it is in need of repair?
I am sure it worked as expected earlier on, but I have recently put it in a new case, so theoreticly something could have happened in that process.
(BTW it is a factory build.)
Just tested and I get similar (though different) buggy behaviour when externally clocked. This has always bothered me but never quite figured out what is going on, I think Ive just done any division outside the module. Also factory build.

For me one click either way jumps to x8 multiplication. Then another click jumps to ÷16 division, then back to x8 multi, and so on. Sometimes it takes more than one click to jump from one to thw other.

The strange thing is that clock out division (press and turn) seems to work just fine.
Oh weird, I think this might be something to do with the "remove non quadratic divisions" setting because when I turn that off I get much more normal behaviour.

Have you checked that setting?

Edit: urg, still seems touchy/borked
Edit 2: for me once you get to a certain extreme of division or multiplication it gets into the "x8 ÷16" failure mode
I am getting the kind of behavior I'm expecting, but I wonder if I'm testing it the same way you are.
  • I'm putting a square wave clock signal (0-5 v) into the Muxlicer's Clock In. (I can watch this signal on one channel of Data.)
  • I'm looking at the output of Muxlicer's Clock Out on another channel of Data.
  • I'm looking at the Muxlicer's All Gates output on yet another channel of Data.
If I adjust the speed of the clock, both outputs change as expected.
If I adjust the Speed Div/Mult encoder without pushing it in while turning, only the output of the All Gates output changes (as expected).
If I adjust the Speed Div/Mult encoder while holding it in while turning, only the output of the Clock Out output changes (as expected).
I'm using similar approach, though I don't have a scope

What I've realised from reading the manual is that there are 2 "quadratic only" settings - one for the gate mode (turn on with switch held down) and one for clock (turn on with switch held up)

Contrary to my previous post, it is the latter (skip non quadratic values for clock) which seems to cause buggy behaviour when it is on (ie when non quadratic values are being skipped).

Leaving it in default mode seems fine (for now)

@danishchairs Does everything work as expected for you in that mode?

And have you checked what mode you are in @LDT ? Maybe returning to the "no skip" mode will fix your issue?

The buggy behaviour I'm seeing is a bit laborious to test and explain, but in the "skip non quadratic clocks mode - and starting from 1/1 setting - I seem to get these clock behaviours for each right click of the encoder: x2, x4, x8 and therafter it goes weird: ÷16, x16, 1/1, 1/1, 1/1, ÷16, x16, 1/1, 1/1, x16, x16 - ie jumping between no division, and extreme multiplication and division values.
User avatar
LDT
The Modu-Lars
Posts: 1457
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:21 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Contact:

Re: Befaco Muxlicer

Post by LDT »

I am not using any special modes. And when it is syncing to a clock, then one click, clockwise, on the speed knob sends it into “digital crunch” where all 8 step leds are lit at once (but dim).
Post Reply

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”