Befaco Muxlicer

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

antonriehl
Common Wiggler

Re: Befaco Muxlicer

Post by antonriehl »

My MEX just showed up today! Excited to test it out... It's not totally clear to me how to orient the expander cable on the Muxlicer side (it's pretty clear on the the MEX side...)

Does anyone else know?
Befacosynth
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Befacosynth »

antonriehl wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:12 pm My MEX just showed up today! Excited to test it out... It's not totally clear to me how to orient the expander cable on the Muxlicer side (it's pretty clear on the the MEX side...)

Does anyone else know?
Your dealer sent you the module a week before launch, so documentation has not been made public yet. Module will be released the 27th
Please address it with them. Maybe like that we can avoid other people's suffering :)
www.befaco.org
support((at))befaco.org
acidbabe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by acidbabe »

Befacosynth wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:43 am Module will be released the 27th
What does this mean? No info on the Befaco website so far, maybe November 27th?
James_S
Ultra Wiggler

Post by James_S »

acidbabe wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:54 am
Befacosynth wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:43 am Module will be released the 27th
What does this mean? No info on the Befaco website so far, maybe November 27th?
He said that the dealer had sent it a week before launch so I'm pretty sure that was yesterday. Probably just a small delay getting paperwork uploaded.
acidbabe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by acidbabe »

MEX is now available on the Befaco website, but DIY kit is sold out already.
Befacosynth
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Befacosynth »

acidbabe wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:20 am MEX is now available on the Befaco website, but DIY kit is sold out already.
There are plenty more. Check again :)
www.befaco.org
support((at))befaco.org
Befacosynth
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Befacosynth »

Quicas demo of MEX is up in his channel :)
www.befaco.org
support((at))befaco.org
hernangmn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hernangmn »

hi every body

i´m trying to do a basic sequence with the muxlicer and a vco, but setting al faders down, the step 1 sounds higher than the other seven steps (wich sound the same between them) is that ok?
It´s a diy kit.
perhaps bad building?
Thanks
Jazz-Circuit
Common Wiggler

Post by Jazz-Circuit »

I just ordered one of these from Perfect Circuit. I noticed people mention a firmware update. Do you think currently stocked modules are already loaded with the latest firmware or will I have to update the firmware? I read the manual to see how to check which firmware version is installed but I didn't find anything. It seems like it will be a really useful module.
skysaw
Common Wiggler

Post by skysaw »

PC just sent me one too!
Jamie Kowalski

My "Alien Sewing Machine Music" on YouTube
Befacosynth
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Befacosynth »

Jazz-Circuit wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:36 pm I just ordered one of these from Perfect Circuit. I noticed people mention a firmware update. Do you think currently stocked modules are already loaded with the latest firmware or will I have to update the firmware? I read the manual to see how to check which firmware version is installed but I didn't find anything. It seems like it will be a really useful module.
If just ordered, then latest firmware will be loaded!
hernangmn wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:39 pm hi every body

i´m trying to do a basic sequence with the muxlicer and a vco, but setting al faders down, the step 1 sounds higher than the other seven steps (wich sound the same between them) is that ok?
It´s a diy kit.
perhaps bad building?
Thanks
might be some soldering around the first fader :)
contact support@befaco.org for further help!
www.befaco.org
support((at))befaco.org
Jazz-Circuit
Common Wiggler

Post by Jazz-Circuit »

Befacosynth wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:05 am If just ordered, then latest firmware will be loaded!
Thanks for verifying that! It arrives on Monday and I cant wait to dive in.
GZHN89
Learning to Wiggle

Post by GZHN89 »

I have a question about the muxlicer. The manual says the following:

Turning On the module while holding up the Play Switch removes
all the steps from Clock Out that are not Quadratic. This can be repeated to re-enable
the steps that are not Quadratic.
I tried this a couple of times and I have to remember everytime what my last setting was. Is there any visual/blink confirmation while turning the module on to see if the odd clock timings are off or on?
In the source code there is a function named "confirmation_blink(no_odd_clocks)". This tells me there is a way to see the setting status. I would love to know how. The same question also goes for the "remove all the steps from Gate Mode that are not Quadratic" setting.

Code: Select all

/// read no_odd_clocks from EEPROM
  if (!new_code) {
    no_odd_clocks = EEPROM.read(14);
  }
  else {
    no_odd_clocks = 0;
    write_no_odd_clocks_to_EEPROM ();
  }

if (!digitalRead(start_stop_input)) {
    no_odd_clocks = !no_odd_clocks;
    write_no_odd_clocks_to_EEPROM();
    confirmation_blink(no_odd_clocks);
  }
  else {
    initial_blink ();
  }
  if (no_odd_clocks) {
    change_no_odds_clock_in();
    change_no_odds_clock_out();
    digitalWrite(enable_mux, HIGH);
  }
  if (!new_code) {
    no_clock_out_when_stop = EEPROM.read(15);

}
  else {
    no_clock_out_when_stop = 0;
    write_no_clock_when_stop_to_EEPROM ();
  }

Also the code says

change_no_odds_clock_in();
change_no_odds_clock_out();

Does this have something to do with removing odds from the clock input? The manual says nothing about this.
moday
Learning to Wiggle

Post by moday »

Hello,

I just finished building the Muxslicer kit and everything works fine except for one thing.

When I patch an individual gate to one of the CV Ins of my Hex Mix VCA, I get a pulse of sound on all eight gates as though I were plugged into the "All Gates" output

For example, I patch Gate 5 into the Hex Mix VCA CV in, and I expect to only get sound when it hits gate 5 out of eight. Instead, I get sound on each gate, but not continuous, it's on/off in rhythm with the seqence.

If I patch Gate 5 into another VCA (Deopfer A-132-3 DVCA), it works as expected. If I patch any single gate into either my VC ADSR or ch 1 or 4 of my Maths, it works as expected.

I would think it was some kind of voltage compatibility issue if they were two different brands, but since they're both Befaco, I'm surprised it's not working.

I tried flicking the 5V/10V switch on the back of the Muxslicer, but that did nothing, and I assume only affects COM I/O's output.

I've never had a problem with my Hex Mix VCA on anything else. I have a Zlob Diode Chaos, and if I plug the Trig out into the CV of the Hex Mix VCA, I only get sound when it the Diode Chaos triggers. I also have the Zlob Entropy Expander, and when I hook the Rand Gate to the CV of the Hex Mix VCA, I only get sound when the Entropy Expander Random Gate is on.

One other thing, if I go from Gate 5 to Befaco's Dual Atenuverter to the Hex Mix VCA, that also works as intended. :despair:

Anyone have anything similar between Muxslicer and Hex Mix VCA?
moday
Learning to Wiggle

Post by moday »

I hooked it up to the scope module in Reaktor, and the individual gates behave normally. Didn’t even see smaller pulses like I expected to.

Also asked around on another board and found someone with both a Muxlicer and a Hex Mex VCA and they said there’s did the same thing.

It’s weird, like “spooky action from a distance.” Tonight I’m going to try adjusting the trimmers on the Hex Mix VCA and see if that helps without affecting it’s ability to take in CV from other modules.
moday
Learning to Wiggle

Post by moday »

I managed to get away from work for a few moments and test out the Hex Mix VCA trimmers - no difference.

Also, I switched it so channel six wasn't the mix output, that made no difference either.

I am at a loss as to why all 8 gates are hitting the Hex Mix VCA when it's only connected to one gate. Nothing else reacts the same way.
ihav2p
Common Wiggler

Post by ihav2p »

I had something similar. It turned out one of the pads on the corresponding slider needed to be reheated
moday
Learning to Wiggle

Post by moday »

ihav2p wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:29 pm I had something similar. It turned out one of the pads on the corresponding slider needed to be reheated
It’s all 8 gates, and only when plugged into the Hex Mix VCA. Everything else responds as expected, including the scope in Reaktor. I’m only using Gate 5 as an example, it can be any of the 8 individual gates - they all act like the All Gates output, but only with the Hex Mix VCA. Doepfer VCA, Reaktor scope, Befaco VC ADSR, Maths all react how they’re supposed to. :despair:
moday
Learning to Wiggle

Post by moday »

Oh, also, it works right if I go -

Muxlicer individual gate -> Befaco Dual Attenuverter -> Befaco Hex Mix VCA CV in

With the Attenuverter set to 1x and 0 offset.
moday
Learning to Wiggle

Post by moday »

ihav2p wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:29 pm I had something similar. It turned out one of the pads on the corresponding slider needed to be reheated
I have now reheated every slider connection, even adding solder to a few, still the same.
johannes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by johannes »

I just received an diy muxlicer and noticed a high freq bleed on the com output. Iam not sure how the muxlicer works so i want to ask here if this is the standard behaviour.

I made some tests and patched the com out into v/oct of my generate 3 and (in addition to the corresponding pitch of the vco) i can hear some odd overtones - i guess thru fm by the high freq bleed.

Ofcouse i also patched the com out into my disting4 to see how its quantization works with the mux. It seems that due to the bleed the quantizer produces glitches. Same result with pams as a quantizer. Just as the disting It wont quantize stable over multiple sequence cycles but create small pitch changes and sometimes changes the pitch very fast like stutter. With a lowpass filter i can tame it so the quantizer works properly.

Anything i could ty? Firmware updates etc?
Last edited by johannes on Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johannes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by johannes »

I made more experiments with the muxlicer today.
For some reason the high pitch bleed disappears when i set the cv range of the com output to max (by pressing and holding the encoder and pressing the play switch up). Does anyone understand why this happens and why lower ranges will have the bleed?
stylesforfree
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stylesforfree »

Does anyone use the Muxlicer with a squid salmple or assimil8or?
danishchairs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by danishchairs »

johannes wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:32 pm I made more experiments with the muxlicer today.
For some reason the high pitch bleed disappears when i set the cv range of the com output to max (by pressing and holding the encoder and pressing the play switch up). Does anyone understand why this happens and why lower ranges will have the bleed?
I wonder if the Muxlicer is somehow picking up some voltage from another module in your system.

Have you tried looking at the output of the COM I/O port on a scope? Can you see how it changes when you adjust the CV range?

Sound precedes music | Instruments for Neb2 module

johannes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by johannes »

Hey and thanks for the suggestions.

I just tested the mux in a empty doepfer case, to make sure that the high freq isnt a interference from an other module. (I directly plug my headphones into com out😜)
The high freq is still there. Also with the mux stoped or on a static step. But the level of the high freq depends on the slider position. At bottom position it disappears and the higher the sliders are set the louder is the high freq.

I dont have a scope here. But from what i hear at the minimum range the high freq is completely gone, at max its barely listenable and in between its most prominent. I can make a recording… do you had something specific in mind to watch out ob the scope?

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”