Xaoc Zadar, Quadruple Envelope Generator + Nin expander

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

yentzee
Common Wiggler

Re: Xaoc Zadar, Quadruple Envelope Generator + Nin expander

Post by yentzee »

I just got my zadar back. Just used it for random modulation andclassic envelops. As there are tons of shapes I am wondering what most of them arwmade for? I cant imagine that they are just random. Which wäveforms are you using for other stuff that envelopes, lfos and random modulation?
mpTRONIX
Common Wiggler

Post by mpTRONIX »

something like that might be useful? or not? :oops:
017D2FFA-98FA-4A97-97CC-EA94C4F48D98.jpeg
ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon »

yentzee wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:12 am I just got my zadar back. Just used it for random modulation andclassic envelops. As there are tons of shapes I am wondering what most of them arwmade for? I cant imagine that they are just random. Which wäveforms are you using for other stuff that envelopes, lfos and random modulation?
Turn on looping and explore all waveforms as sound sources. Then modulate time/warp/response for more fun
moustachioed
Common Wiggler

Post by moustachioed »

yentzee wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:12 am I just got my zadar back. Just used it for random modulation andclassic envelops. As there are tons of shapes I am wondering what most of them arwmade for? I cant imagine that they are just random. Which wäveforms are you using for other stuff that envelopes, lfos and random modulation?
The manual mentions, for example, to use bank U (same for banks T to W) as exciters for resonators, and I had great results with some of them. Also useful for percussive envelopes. A lot of the more "random" banks shine on longer timescales as modulation sources.
proxy
Common Wiggler

Post by proxy »

ggillon wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:33 am
Turn on looping and explore all waveforms as sound sources. Then modulate time/warp/response for more fun
as sound sources huh?!?! interesting....
ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon »

proxy wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:01 pm
The distorted drone sound in this track (starting around 1min40) is one of the Zadar waveform on repeat, with warp modulated by a lfo

proxy
Common Wiggler

Post by proxy »

ggillon wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:32 pm
The distorted drone sound in this track (starting around 1min40) is one of the Zadar waveform on repeat, with warp modulated by a lfo

yo this track is cool! Thanks for the drone example ,didn't realize Zadar could do audio-rate stuff! :cloud:
Spanningtree
Loop free patching via 802.1d

Post by Spanningtree »

ggillon wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:32 pm
Bloody brilliant! I have played with some of the latter waveforms in the banks for percussion but have not tried a drone yet. BTW, awesome piece, nice grungy sound!

:sb:
studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 »

mpTRONIX wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:19 am something like that might be useful? or not?
Yes!
xxeyes
Common Wiggler

Post by xxeyes »

What is the depth of Zadar? The website only says “skiff friendly”. Will it fit in an Intellijel Palette case?
Kosmikos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos »

xxeyes wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:36 pm What is the depth of Zadar? The website only says “skiff friendly”. Will it fit in an Intellijel Palette case?
I’m pretty sure it does. When I have a doubt, I check the excellent side pictures on the Thomann website:
https://m.thomann.de/gb/xaoc_devices_zadar.htm

Edit: Someone has definitely done it before
https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic. ... r#p3405509
aphex2000
Common Wiggler

Post by aphex2000 »

aphex2000 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:58 am
moustachioed wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:32 am I just installed the update and 3 of the encoders do behave much more stable on my unit. But the time encoder still is the wonkiest of them all. The update did not make it worse, but with the other 3 there is a noticeable improvement. Strange.
to whom it may concern: my erratic knobs didnt improve so i've contacted xaoc and got a very quick reply with a beta 2.0.5 firmware. after updating the bootloader and to the new firmware the knobs now work as well as they did before updating to 2.0.4.

not sure if it was a fluke during the upgrading process or 2.0.5 fixed it but i'm happy to have my old zadar back :)
moustachioed
Common Wiggler

Post by moustachioed »

aphex2000 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:21 am to whom it may concern: my erratic knobs didnt improve so i've contacted xaoc and got a very quick reply with a beta 2.0.5 firmware. after updating the bootloader and to the new firmware the knobs now work as well as they did before updating to 2.0.4.

not sure if it was a fluke during the upgrading process or 2.0.5 fixed it but i'm happy to have my old zadar back :)
Just send you a PM, would be awesome if you could share it.
BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BaloErets »

Man i fell a bit dumb asking this because I feel like I'm overlooking something in a module that I thought I knew pretty well, but I am a bit at a loss here.

Had a patch going with the Zadar involved. 1st channel was set in to loop. However, sending triggers or gates to channels 2-4 would not reset the channels. I tried both with PNW and Tempi in the trig inputs of channels 2-4 and there was no activity.
I'm sure it's user error and almost embarrassed to post this, but where might I be going wrong?
megarat
Ultra Wiggler

Post by megarat »

BaloErets wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:54 pm I'm sure it's user error and almost embarrassed to post this, but where might I be going wrong?
Have you done a firmware update recently? Some folks reported that their modules were acting a bit wonky following an upgrade to 2.0.4 and had to fix it by initializing the module from maintenance mode.
ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon »

BaloErets wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:54 pm Man i fell a bit dumb asking this because I feel like I'm overlooking something in a module that I thought I knew pretty well, but I am a bit at a loss here.

Had a patch going with the Zadar involved. 1st channel was set in to loop. However, sending triggers or gates to channels 2-4 would not reset the channels. I tried both with PNW and Tempi in the trig inputs of channels 2-4 and there was no activity.
I'm sure it's user error and almost embarrassed to post this, but where might I be going wrong?
Are you sure the channels B, C, and D aren't chained with A?
BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BaloErets »

megarat wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:57 pm
BaloErets wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:54 pm I'm sure it's user error and almost embarrassed to post this, but where might I be going wrong?
Have you done a firmware update recently? Some folks reported that their modules were acting a bit wonky following an upgrade to 2.0.4 and had to fix it by initializing the module from maintenance mode.
Cheers! :guinness: That fixed it for me!
SunSpots
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SunSpots »

Hey guys. I just got my first Zadar plus nin. I am so fanboing right now it's silly. I was digging the quicker glitch stuff but then I went out on a limb and tried some super long ones and turns out I really love and needed that even more in my music.

Someone asked what to use it for... all things vca related. Make them cycle and then send them to all cv ins of your modular with reckless abandon, then slow them down and attenuate them as needed.
WTB: black on all these.... rabid elephants natural gate, Polygogo , vult freak, patching panda vibrazum v2, can be silver intellijel 1u quad att, 1u steppy, 1u ornament and crime, 1u pique, 1u plumber, 1u plum audio buffered mult.
SunSpots
SunSpots
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SunSpots »

SunSpots wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:17 pm Hey guys. I just got my first Zadar plus nin. I am so fanboing right now it's silly. I was digging the quicker glitch stuff but then I went out on a limb and tried some super long ones and turns out I really love and needed that even more in my music.

Someone asked what to use it for... all things vca related. Make them cycle and then send them to all cv ins of your modular with reckless abandon, then slow them down and attenuate them as needed.
Oh and with the expander, I am using the trigger to launch events and long sounds, shaped of course by the Zadar. Basically I build up my percs and drums, then launch my Zadar sounds whenever manually to give it that live feel. It's been overwhelmingly fantastic and has exceeded my expectations
WTB: black on all these.... rabid elephants natural gate, Polygogo , vult freak, patching panda vibrazum v2, can be silver intellijel 1u quad att, 1u steppy, 1u ornament and crime, 1u pique, 1u plumber, 1u plum audio buffered mult.
SunSpots
OHEXOH
Veteran Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH »

I recently purchased a Zadar. How can I see what firmware it's running? Is there a button combo or is it in a secret menu?
megarat
Ultra Wiggler

Post by megarat »

OHEXOH wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:45 pm I recently purchased a Zadar. How can I see what firmware it's running? Is there a button combo or is it in a secret menu?
This vexed me once as well. And to give credit where its due:
bommelito wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:08 am if you power up your Zadar with the red menu button pressed, the display shows the firmware version.
OHEXOH
Veteran Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH »

megarat wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:28 pm
OHEXOH wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:45 pm I recently purchased a Zadar. How can I see what firmware it's running? Is there a button combo or is it in a secret menu?
This vexed me once as well. And to give credit where its due:
bommelito wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:08 am if you power up your Zadar with the red menu button pressed, the display shows the firmware version.
Thank you! :tu:
spillane
Learning to Wiggle

Post by spillane »

Hi all, using Zadar since 2019 and had an issue with the screen before (dead pixels) now I'm having another issue which is none of the outputs are putting variable voltages i.e there is no voltage fluctuation neither in the trig or cycling modes. Has anybody experienced such a thing?
Sound_trace
Common Wiggler

Post by Sound_trace »

apologies for noob question but appreciate the help if you have a moment- I'd like to select a number of specific Zadar shapes (say 4-8) and cycle through these on one channel using a S+H into the ASSGN SHP. Is there a way of listing certain shapes to be selected from, or masking the others out? Hoping to create a complex waveform made out of several specific chained shapes, to then be duplicated and phased across the four channels. Hope that makes sense and appreciate your help.
megarat
Ultra Wiggler

Post by megarat »

Sound_trace wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:38 am apologies for noob question but appreciate the help if you have a moment- I'd like to select a number of specific Zadar shapes (say 4-8) and cycle through these on one channel using a S+H into the ASSGN SHP. Is there a way of listing certain shapes to be selected from, or masking the others out? Hoping to create a complex waveform made out of several specific chained shapes, to then be duplicated and phased across the four channels. Hope that makes sense and appreciate your help.
Interesting idea, but I don’t believe this is possible. I did something like this before, but I used a sequencer (or random CV) to select the shape, so if there is a way to do this, I don’t know about it.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”