Xaoc Zadar, Quadruple Envelope Generator + Nin expander

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Xaoc Zadar, Quadruple Envelope Generator + Nin expander

Post by mdoudoroff »

I believe the Channel and Menu buttons should have a very slight, identical wiggle to them, and should turn ever so slightly—maybe 1º. That would be normal—how this style of part is designed—and you see it on various other modules that use the same part. If your Menu button is floppy compared to the Channel button, it may require scrutiny.
jwm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jwm »

mpTRONIX wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:12 am is it normal that the button has play?
mine is the same (and works fine) and i think it's fairly accepted across the board that those style illuminated buttons have play in them. all my harvestman stuff is the same way.

have 2.0.3 on mine as well, has been nothing but excellent since day one, no issues that i've noticed.
mpTRONIX
Common Wiggler

Post by mpTRONIX »

ok, just asked, not that i paid for an exhibit or a return for the full price.

thanks

everything works fine with my new one :love: with 2.03

only the button housing could have been soldered onto the circuit board with a little space…

so that it is a little tighter on the front panel.
well, but it works with the bobblehead button :party: :guinness:
Attachments
image.jpg
Kosmikos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos »

mpTRONIX wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:12 am hi,
today my new zadar arrived. (new, not used)
my firmware on it is 2.03.
(I think there is only 2.02 on the xaoc homepage? :hmm: )
but mine shows 2.03 :party:

my real question is= the menu button:

is it normal that the button has play?

image.jpg

the channel button has it just a little to the side, thats ok.
Looks like it’s sagging. Yes mine is pretty loose too. I never had any issue with them so far though.
medium Rob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by medium Rob »

I believe it's normal. the CHANNEL button is the same on mine, as well as similar buttons on other modules, such as the Harvestman/IME Hertz Donut, Piston Honda, et al (in my limited experience)

edit; somehow I missed all of the replies to this inquiry, my bad
mpTRONIX
Common Wiggler

Post by mpTRONIX »

channel button has minimal play, the design is conditionally ok.

the menu button hangs down. at least more than the channel button. i think the hole in the front panel is too big / or= the front panel should have been mounted before soldering (good old handwork) / or= this dealer sold me an exhibit or a return item as new ???

i asked the musical instrument dealer, whether they can check their inventory to see whether this is the case with all modules.

Say series status.

i am still waiting for the answer, i made the request today.

so wait and see :guinness:

thanks, nice weekend 2 all :yay: :guinness: :party: ;) 8-)

https://mpadelectronix.bandcamp.com/
tommygee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tommygee »

tommygee wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:37 am
moustachioed wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:09 am
tommygee wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:57 am I got the pot problems pretty badly. Takes me ages to get to the desired values. No warrenty anymore 😕
Have you tried the 2.0.2 firmware? It transformed my second-hand Zadar from „almost unusable“ to „only slightly annoying“. You pay the price of much reduced velocity, though.

Also, if you’re in Europe, Xaoc have been very helpful with an out-of-warranty Odessa for me. I only had pay for the postage to them and they fixed it and send it back free of charge. I have not inquired about the Zadar, but I’d imagine they’d be happy to help.
I did try the firmware update prior to 2.0.2. a while ago and it did not help - but I will give the newest firmware a shot. Thanks.
Sent it back to Xaoc and they changed all 4 encoders. I bought the Zadar in 2018, but they still repaired the unit free of charge. Excellent.
scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz »

I sent mine to their US repair guy like 8 months ago and can't get any status update or if they even received it; have basically given up on ever getting it back. Bummer!
tommygee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tommygee »

scragz wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:46 am I sent mine to their US repair guy like 8 months ago and can't get any status update or if they even received it; have basically given up on ever getting it back. Bummer!
Sorry to hear that. Did you try to write the Poland guys about it ? Maciek of Xaoc Support was helpfull and to the point.

I sent it to Poland 20 days ago and received it again here in Sweden yesterday.
mantiwhore
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mantiwhore »

Xaoc Zadar firmware 2.0.4 is up!

https://bit.ly/2VojLb5

NEW FEATURES:

– manual triggering via the Nin expander buttons displays the triggered channel envelope on the screen;
– new trigger mode NR (No Retrigger) ignores triggers incoming while the envelope or a chain of envelopes is playing.

IMPROVEMENTS:

– reversing the envelope does not affect the Sustain point position (it remains in the same place relative to the starting point even after reversing the envelope);
– reversing the envelope retains the Warp value (please note that with asymmetrical envelopes it results in a change of shape);
– enhanced encoder values readout stability;
– minor revisions of the calibration procedure prompts displayed on the screen.

BUG FIXES:

– longer envelopes now correctly loop with the repeat number set at infinity;
– longer envelopes actual times now correspond to the time shown on the display;
– corrected Warp parameter behavior when modulated with positive CV, now it corresponds to the behavior of the Warp encoder (positive voltage/turning the encoder clockwise warps the envelope to the right and vice versa).

The new firmware revision is fully compatible with all Zadar units.
:miley:

Xaoc Devices | Leidforschung Verlag | Instagram | Facebook
WTB/T: Dewanatron Triple Slice, Sefari mk.1
zengomi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by zengomi »

Impressive continual firmware development. Thank you.

I've read the text file in the download. There's no mention of the purpose of the hex file. Kindly explain.
Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell »

the hex file is for updating via a computer and programmer

use the audio file if you have to ask...
Modular Audio and Video Synthesis on Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

choose the case to fit the modules - not the modules to fit the case!!!
zengomi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by zengomi »

Thanks for the clarification. So glad there's an alternative to a computer and a programmer. Experience, both actual and anecdotal, with that method marks it as so finicky that, without detailed instructions and testing on the manufacturer side, it's a bloody waste of time. That said, Abstract Data's firmware update for ADE-32 is a marvel.
virtualpt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by virtualpt »

tommygee wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:52 am
tommygee wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:37 am
moustachioed wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:09 am
tommygee wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:57 am I got the pot problems pretty badly. Takes me ages to get to the desired values. No warrenty anymore 😕
Have you tried the 2.0.2 firmware? It transformed my second-hand Zadar from „almost unusable“ to „only slightly annoying“. You pay the price of much reduced velocity, though.

Also, if you’re in Europe, Xaoc have been very helpful with an out-of-warranty Odessa for me. I only had pay for the postage to them and they fixed it and send it back free of charge. I have not inquired about the Zadar, but I’d imagine they’d be happy to help.
I did try the firmware update prior to 2.0.2. a while ago and it did not help - but I will give the newest firmware a shot. Thanks.
Sent it back to Xaoc and they changed all 4 encoders. I bought the Zadar in 2018, but they still repaired the unit free of charge. Excellent.
Wow that's very fortunate. I contacted them via the dealer that I bought it from (it is 18 months old). Xaoc said that they would swap the faulty encoder. That wasn't a satisfactory solution for me as the other encoders are bound to flake out too in the not too distant future. The firmware fix stopped the jumping around, but at the cost of poor acceleration. I have decided to write it off as a loss (& will avoid Xaoc products in future). I have put a Klavis Quadigy in my rack instead.
mpTRONIX
Common Wiggler

Post by mpTRONIX »

perfect, my new exchange module arrived today. and this time the menu and the channel button sit better. not perfect but definitely better than the first module.

thanks for the update :tu: :ghost: :stardance:
aphex2000
Common Wiggler

Post by aphex2000 »

mantiwhore wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:40 am – enhanced encoder values readout stability;
can you give more context on this? after updating, the time encoder works in a very weird/unpredictable way for me
TJontheRoad
Common Wiggler

Post by TJontheRoad »

I got a Zadar about a week or so ago and read this whole thread. It came with 2.0.3 firmware. Did the 2.0.4 update yesterday without issue via the headphone jack on my interface (as suggested in this thread before). It took longer to download it than to update. XAOC servers must of got slammed with this release. Menu button is tight. Channel Button has just a little float. No big deal. On thing I notice with the encoders is the knobs are very tall. This encourages the user to twist the at the highest point and possibility puts more strain on the encoder mounting over time and use. That's just a theory on my part. I think it may be best to dial at the knob base for longer life. That and or replace the knobs with something shorter.
moustachioed
Common Wiggler

Post by moustachioed »

aphex2000 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:17 am
mantiwhore wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:40 am – enhanced encoder values readout stability;
can you give more context on this? after updating, the time encoder works in a very weird/unpredictable way for me
I just installed the update and 3 of the encoders do behave much more stable on my unit. But the time encoder still is the wonkiest of them all. The update did not make it worse, but with the other 3 there is a noticeable improvement. Strange.
aphex2000
Common Wiggler

Post by aphex2000 »

moustachioed wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:32 am I just installed the update and 3 of the encoders do behave much more stable on my unit. But the time encoder still is the wonkiest of them all. The update did not make it worse, but with the other 3 there is a noticeable improvement. Strange.
yes, my other encoders seem very smooth too.

but time... it sometimes had a bit of a stutter to it in the old fw, now it behaves very strangely (and much worse to use):

initial movement: no change
after some wiggling: single step increments, not relative to scale (e.g. ms vs sec steps)
after a lot of wiggling: random und erratic acceleration

i've asked since i'm not sure if this is supposed to be some "intelligent assistance" that i'm too dumb for or i should try reinstalling the fw / downgrading. since it takes 15' to update i'm not too trigger happy.
señor-bling
Common Wiggler

Post by señor-bling »

After updating from 2.0.1 (I think) all channels were in chain mode - it didn't appear active in the menu though and there was no way to change or deactivate it. Booting in maintenance mode and initializing the module fixed it. Posting this here just in case someone runs into the same issue.

The good thing is, this made me finally look up what the hell "phase" actually does. Damn, what a useful feature! Thank you so much for the update! :D
nexgen23
Common Wiggler

Post by nexgen23 »

señor-bling wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:26 am After updating from 2.0.1 (I think) all channels were in chain mode - it didn't appear active in the menu though and there was no way to change or deactivate it. Booting in maintenance mode and initializing the module fixed it. Posting this here just in case someone runs into the same issue.

The good thing is, this made me finally look up what the hell "phase" actually does. Damn, what a useful feature! Thank you so much for the update! :D
Thanks for the heads up, after update I was like "WTF is wrong with my module" this corrected the issue :)
ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon »

mantiwhore wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:40 am Xaoc Zadar firmware 2.0.4 is up!

Is the link still active? I can't seem to download it.
lohacker
Ultra Wiggler

Post by lohacker »

ggillon wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:42 am

It's on the website
http://xaocdevices.com/main/zadar/
ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon »

lohacker wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:03 am
ggillon wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:42 am

It's on the website
http://xaocdevices.com/main/zadar/
Thank you :) I only checked the support page and it's still referencing 2.0.2

mantiwhore
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mantiwhore »

That's very strange, please reset your browser's cache.
Direct link: http://xaocdevices.com/manuals/xaoc_zad ... update.zip
:miley:

Xaoc Devices | Leidforschung Verlag | Instagram | Facebook
WTB/T: Dewanatron Triple Slice, Sefari mk.1

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”