Remix/ReMangle" Challenge is Closed. Now to work on the file management, uploading, playlist, voting thread, etc. Thanks to all that participated. Get ready to vote!

Prizes generously donated by:
ADDAC System (Eurorack 3U)
Endorphin.es (Eurorack 3U)
Fred's Lab (DIY Paraphonic Synth)
Northern Light Modular (Buchla-format h-series OR Eurorack3U)
Rattly and Raw (Wiggler Approved Kontakt Instrument)
Studio.h (Buchla-format 4U)

Challenge rules and format thread is here.

Little colourblindness research: need volunteers to help.

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

kurodama
Ultra Wiggler

Little colourblindness research: need volunteers to help.

Post by kurodama » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:16 am

to put it simple: I'm trying to figure out ways to make current MI modules more usable for people who have a hard time discerning certain colours, but to do so I need some more info. For this reason I'm looking for people affected by colourblindness to answer a few questions I've put together.
Owning one or more Mutable Instruments modules (esp. Rings and Warps) would help, but is not strictly required.
If you're interested to help drop me a line at me /at/ papernoise.net

jeboo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jeboo » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:09 am

I'm not sure if this helps, but Adobe Illustrator has a proof setup built-in for color blindness types; protanopia and deuteranopia. You could load in your palettes and preview them under each setting. Though it appears you're more interested in the LED perception.

kurodama
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kurodama » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:41 am

Yes, perfectly aware of that (but thanks nonetheless for the pointer). I'm in a second phase where I am seeking out some direct, real-life feedback from people. I already am talking to three people and their feedback has been very interesting (and shows that there is a bit of variability) but am interested in getting even more responses, since the more we get the more accurate our overall understanding will be.

jeboo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jeboo » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:48 am

Haha -- yes I realize you are very aware (just checked out your site). Incredible work.

auxren
Veteran Wiggler

Post by auxren » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:51 am

I’m colorblind. Always happy to help. I can’t tell the difference between red/green LEDs to save my life. Amber/green is a little better for me. I prefer red blue to alleviate any confusion.

Shakespeare
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Shakespeare » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:12 am

Colorblind, and very happy to help. And yes... the LEDs can be very tough, I've found, esp. on Clouds.

thebrotherspus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by thebrotherspus » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:22 am

I've got some colour blindness too. I'm not exactly sure where I fall on the 'spectrum'.
I have trouble distinguishing between green and yellow LEDs sometimes. Also, red and orange can look similar. I think primary colours like red, blue, yellow LEDs are easy for me to tell the difference between.
In daily life, I also notice that I have trouble distinguishing between dark greens and browns.
So I think for me, LEDs I could easily work with would be red, blue, yellow, white-ish. After that, the 'in between' colours can get confusing.
As far as MI modules go, I own a Rings, Plaits, Blinds, and Ears.

kurodama
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kurodama » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:02 pm

jeboo wrote:Haha -- yes I realize you are very aware (just checked out your site). Incredible work.
Thanks a lot!!!

@thebrotherspus: thanks a lot! Did you send me an email as well? Just so I know...

And thanks to everybody who's contacted me, an email will follow up shortly!

Cybananna
Funniest Guy

Post by Cybananna » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:29 pm

thebrotherspus wrote:I've got some colour blindness too. I'm not exactly sure where I fall on the 'spectrum'.
I have trouble distinguishing between green and yellow LEDs sometimes. Also, red and orange can look similar. I think primary colours like red, blue, yellow LEDs are easy for me to tell the difference between.
In daily life, I also notice that I have trouble distinguishing between dark greens and browns.
So I think for me, LEDs I could easily work with would be red, blue, yellow, white-ish. After that, the 'in between' colours can get confusing.
As far as MI modules go, I own a Rings, Plaits, Blinds, and Ears.
I’m very similar to this. Can’t differentiate between many greens and browns. I was upset to find that my favorite nice brown coat is actually green to everyone else. My family had a good laugh when they found out I thought it was brown.

Fortunately for me, I’m not aware of any trouble with LEDs. I would be glad to give any feedback I can too. I have Clouds and Elements

joem
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by joem » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:07 pm

I'm not colorblind at all, but I really appreciate the fact that you're looking into this. MI modules are already very well designed from a UI standpoint (and most/all other standpoints, too), so I like that you and Olivier keep pushing to make them ever better.

Audiodog
Common Wiggler

Post by Audiodog » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:43 pm

I'm colorblind - i really struggle with the MI modules. Almost all the colors don't work for me. I would love to participate in your work. Im pretty experienced in the world of electronic musical instruments and colored lights on synths have been a huge hindrance for me for decades.

Let me know what you need

Brian

Audiodog
Common Wiggler

Post by Audiodog » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:55 pm

Also sent message to your website as you requested (didn't see that originally)

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:47 pm

jeboo wrote:I'm not sure if this helps, but Adobe Illustrator has a proof setup built-in for color blindness types; protanopia and deuteranopia. You could load in your palettes and preview them under each setting. Though it appears you're more interested in the LED perception.

You had me at.. :woah: :woah: :woah: Three Clouds in one rack :party: :party: :party:

Timmy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Timmy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:34 am

I shan't respond because I suffer from tritanomaly, which is quite rare (about 1 in 10,000) and therefore not really worth worrying about. I can't distinguish turquoise from close shades of blue or green, nor pink from fuchsia. It dashed my hopes of becoming a florist, but apart from that, it isn't much of a handicap.

diophantine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by diophantine » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:42 am

Just sent you an email! I'm red/green colorblind.

This topic is rather timely: I only recently started adding some Eurorack to my modular system, primarily to get Mutable stuff (have 7 modules with 2 more on the way). Just this morning I decided to see if anyone else had difficulty with the LED color, which led (haha, pun) me to this thread.

I suppose that the correct solution is that I should just buy 3 Rings and keep one in each mode permanently. :hihi:

filterdecay
Learning to Wiggle

Post by filterdecay » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:05 pm

leds have always been hard. You are almost looking for brightness changes vs color changes. The nature of led's make them hard for color blind people. If you can figure out why the red/green of traffic lights is easy to distinguish then you will be heading in the right direction.

kurodama
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kurodama » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:00 pm

filterdecay wrote:leds have always been hard. You are almost looking for brightness changes vs color changes. The nature of led's make them hard for color blind people. If you can figure out why the red/green of traffic lights is easy to distinguish then you will be heading in the right direction.
Isn't that simply because there is a clear convention about which one is always on top? So even if you can't make out the difference in colour, you know the top one means "stop"? Also red seems to often be the bigger light.

Anyway, thanks for the many responses we got, we're definitely getting somewhere here!

SmartBits
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SmartBits » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:18 am

Mail sent: colourblind and happy to help!
And yeah, MI modules are not the easiest for me. With Rings I just listen to the sound changing, the LEDs don't give me any info.

diophantine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by diophantine » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:51 pm

kurodama wrote:
filterdecay wrote:leds have always been hard. You are almost looking for brightness changes vs color changes. The nature of led's make them hard for color blind people. If you can figure out why the red/green of traffic lights is easy to distinguish then you will be heading in the right direction.
Isn't that simply because there is a clear convention about which one is always on top? So even if you can't make out the difference in colour, you know the top one means "stop"? Also red seems to often be the bigger light.
That convention (top or left - depending on orientation - is 'stop') is the only cue for people who have the most extreme forms of colourblindness.

However, the green on traffic lights (at least here in the US) has some blue mixed in to make it easier for people with red/green colourblindness. So that, probably combined with position, is what gives most of us colourblind folks the ability to decide "stop!" or "go!" in a split-second.

(At least here in the US, the red light usually isn't any larger than the other lights. Also of note: the horizontal traffic light orientation is much, much less common than the vertical orientation.)

khakifridge
Ultra Wiggler

Post by khakifridge » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:47 am

diophantine wrote:Also of note: the horizontal traffic light orientation is much, much less common than the vertical orientation.)
...or the inverted vertical orientation:

TheDegenerateElite
Veteran Wiggler

Post by TheDegenerateElite » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:59 am

I'm not colorblind at all, and sympathize with those who have to cope with it.

That said , the deuteranopia color scheme of Clouds is beautiful. Olive green and battleshipish grey.....wow.

Who would think such reserved colors would look great.

modularblack
Common Wiggler

Post by modularblack » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:17 am

I've got deuteranopia and I like when lights are designed to be on/off. This often requires more LEDs but only monochrome ones.

Color of knobs is completely irrelevant. Which color a knob has, has little to zero information value. It helps though when modules are reasonly labeled (I look at you, Make Noise!), but this is another story and has nothing to do with color blindness.

meta
Common Wiggler

Post by meta » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:44 am

I'm deuteranomalous according to Ishihara tests, but those Illustrator filters don't match how I see the world.

For me, red is still red, but it appears subjectively darker than other colours of the same objective intensity — for example, web colour #FF0000 vs #00FF00.

I have more trouble with green, which appears desaturated — at the correct intensity, but a bit closer to greyscale than it should be. Grass isn't as verdant as it should be. Green traffic lights are greenish white.

I can identify primary colours accurately, but in-between colours are more difficult. I usually can identify them, but it takes more time and mental effort. Violets and purples appear different to me, but I frequently get them mixed up. When there are many colours and many smaller swatches, my brain can't process it. I can tell that there are colours, but not which ones. Remember those stereoscopic images that were all the rage a decade or two back? I could never see what was in those.

Elmodlock
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Elmodlock » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:41 pm

Red/green color deficiency here. I have trouble with shades of green LEDs and red orange LEDs. Greens look brown. I can tell the difference between red and green LEDs. Yellows sometimes look green to me.

Claude
Common Wiggler

Post by Claude » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:47 pm

So pleased by the number of colorblind wigglers speaking up! I have already communicated with kurodama, but so glad others are speaking up too!

Keeping quiet about such things makes no sense in such a lovely community. MI is awesome for caring.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”