NLC Triple Sloth

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Post Reply
jingo
Common Wiggler
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:08 pm

Re: NLC Triple Sloth

Post by jingo » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:12 pm

Hey,

I also build a triple sloth. But I don't get any output from inertia, it's quiet and it's led also does not light up. Since I am not so versatile with electronics maybe someone could point me into the right direction where to start trouble shooting...

Many thanks :),
Best,
jingo

User avatar
andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4066
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:36 pm
Location: WA
Contact:

Re: NLC Triple Sloth

Post by andrewF » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:05 am

jingo wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:12 pm
Hey,

I also build a triple sloth. But I don't get any output from inertia, it's quiet and it's led also does not light up. Since I am not so versatile with electronics maybe someone could point me into the right direction where to start trouble shooting...

Many thanks :),
Best,
jingo
99% of issues are soldering errors or wrong components, 1st thing to do is go thru and double/triple check everything.

Please post some clear, close-up pics of your build (clear enough to check soldering and component values).
or pm them to me if you prefer.

jingo
Common Wiggler
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:08 pm

Re: NLC Triple Sloth

Post by jingo » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:13 am

Hi Andrew,

thanks for your help, the problem seems to shift sometimes, Inertia came to live once , therefore Torpor was away.

Anyway, since I have only my mobile I will post those pics, please ask if you need more closeups or so,

best,
jingo
Attachments
IMG_20201230_1407199.jpg
IMG_20201230_1407531.jpg
IMG_20201230_1408271.jpg
IMG_20201230_1408555.jpg

jingo
Common Wiggler
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:08 pm

Re: NLC Triple Sloth

Post by jingo » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:32 pm

Ok,

problem solved itself with some magic smoke ;). There was a soldering joint beneath U4. I replaced it. I also replaced U1 (dont know whether that was necessarry). I also found out that the upper connection to the jack pcb was not "ok" or even faulty. I replaced that too.

Now everything is fine and working :),
Best,
jingo
Attachments
IMG_20201230_1755492.jpg
IMG_20201230_1740431.jpg
IMG_20201230_1555432.jpg

User avatar
andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4066
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:36 pm
Location: WA
Contact:

Re: NLC Triple Sloth

Post by andrewF » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:12 pm

Good stuff!! Glad you got it sorted.

jingo
Common Wiggler
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:08 pm

Re: NLC Triple Sloth

Post by jingo » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:48 am

Yeah,

amazing module :hail:
Attachments
IMG_20201230_1915430.jpg

jingo
Common Wiggler
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:08 pm

Re: NLC Triple Sloth

Post by jingo » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:26 pm

so, I build a second one :), this time with blue/red leds, two more to go :) (wanted to build 4 :))
Attachments
IMG_20210124_2128033.jpg
IMG_20210124_2126259.jpg

User avatar
skinpop
Common Wiggler
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:46 am
Location: kannogawa
Contact:

Re: NLC Triple Sloth

Post by skinpop » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:45 am

what is the voltage output range for the various outputs? Just want to make sure mine is working properly.
blue noise

japes
Common Wiggler
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:54 pm

Re: NLC Triple Sloth

Post by japes » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:32 am

skinpop wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:45 am
what is the voltage output range for the various outputs? Just want to make sure mine is working properly.
5v bipolar for the slower 2, 2v bipolar for the faster one, and 10v bipolar for the + and - outputs.

User avatar
skinpop
Common Wiggler
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:46 am
Location: kannogawa
Contact:

Re: NLC Triple Sloth

Post by skinpop » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:32 am

japes wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:32 am
skinpop wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:45 am
what is the voltage output range for the various outputs? Just want to make sure mine is working properly.
5v bipolar for the slower 2, 2v bipolar for the faster one, and 10v bipolar for the + and - outputs.
thanks :tu:
blue noise

User avatar
BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2796
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:37 pm
Location: PHL USA

Re: NLC Triple Sloth

Post by BananaPlug » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:39 am

:clap: Andrew is outstanding when it comes to helping people get their modules straightened out. Buy lots of his gear!
:nana:

japes
Common Wiggler
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:54 pm

Re: NLC Triple Sloth

Post by japes » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:48 am

For real. Also recommend, for those building, the nonlinearcircuits builders guild on FB. I posted a build I was troubleshooting last night and within 5 minutes of me posting it we had the problem figured out (my dumb ass had put the pin headers on the wrong side).

Airell
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:07 am

Re: NLC Triple Sloth

Post by Airell » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:58 am

I have patched a fast LFO into the CV today.
The Z output (only) is AM-ing together both the CV and internal signal!
I thought Z out was only Y inverted and the CV influenced the chaos circuits only at certain 'windows' of time. But I was wrong!

User avatar
rafyc
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 337
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:01 pm
Location: Paris

Re: NLC Triple Sloth

Post by rafyc » Sun May 02, 2021 5:05 pm

What is this module ? cant figure out what it's doing. Is it a random LFO ?

User avatar
drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1284
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:53 pm

Re: NLC Triple Sloth

Post by drowld » Sun May 02, 2021 5:08 pm

rafyc wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 5:05 pm
What is this module ? cant figure out what it's doing. Is it a random LFO ?
hahaha exactly 3 random lfo the modulargrid description is pretty clear i thinkkkkkkkkk
WTB: Mimeophon, WMD SSF DPLR, SSF Vortices, Frap tools 321, MI Warps

User avatar
rafyc
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 337
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:01 pm
Location: Paris

Re: NLC Triple Sloth

Post by rafyc » Sun May 02, 2021 5:19 pm

drowld wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 5:08 pm
rafyc wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 5:05 pm
What is this module ? cant figure out what it's doing. Is it a random LFO ?
hahaha exactly 3 random lfo the modulargrid description is pretty clear i thinkkkkkkkkk
Yeah i red it but "Chaos circuit" "weight of the outputs" "Difference Rectifier" and "out + = VApathy +VInertia - VTorpor If greater than 0, otherwise 0"
Is totally not clear for me.
It do some things sometinmes depending the conditions haha ;)

User avatar
drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1284
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:53 pm

Re: NLC Triple Sloth

Post by drowld » Mon May 03, 2021 1:39 am

rafyc wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 5:19 pm
drowld wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 5:08 pm
rafyc wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 5:05 pm
What is this module ? cant figure out what it's doing. Is it a random LFO ?
hahaha exactly 3 random lfo the modulargrid description is pretty clear i thinkkkkkkkkk
Yeah i red it but "Chaos circuit" "weight of the outputs" "Difference Rectifier" and "out + = VApathy +VInertia - VTorpor If greater than 0, otherwise 0"
Is totally not clear for me.
It do some things sometinmes depending the conditions haha ;)
3 different random circuits who takes approx. 15-30s / 60-90s / 30-40mn to travel around 2 strange attractors basicallyyyy
WTB: Mimeophon, WMD SSF DPLR, SSF Vortices, Frap tools 321, MI Warps

User avatar
andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4066
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:36 pm
Location: WA
Contact:

Re: NLC Triple Sloth

Post by andrewF » Mon May 03, 2021 6:12 am

It is a chaos module not a random module, these are different things. I know there are a number of modules with 'chaos' in their names but most of them are random or psuedo-random and are not chaotic.

Chaos creates patterns but they never repeat, each iteration is slightly (or sometimes) vastly different from the previous one.
Random is all over the place with no perceivable pattern. Random has its uses in modular (I love it) but there is little for our minds to latch onto whereas chaos is a natural system that we are used to experiencing so is easier to follow and enjoy.

I have no idea of the best way to use a Triple Sloth, other than patch it into any CV input and see what happens.

User avatar
megarat
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:09 pm
Location: Hyperborean Hinterlands

Re: NLC Triple Sloth

Post by megarat » Mon May 03, 2021 3:06 pm

rafyc wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 5:19 pm
Yeah i red it but "Chaos circuit" "weight of the outputs" "Difference Rectifier" and "out + = VApathy +VInertia - VTorpor If greater than 0, otherwise 0"
Is totally not clear for me.
It do some things sometinmes depending the conditions haha ;)
I'll take a whack at this. You'll probably know some of this already, but here goes:

The Triple Sloth has three channels of chaos, at different speeds. Using relative terms, the channels are (from left to right): (1) very slow, (2) slowest of all, (3) slow. I regard these chaos generators as more like LFOs than random generators, and in the case of these sloth circuits, imagine a function that draws (roughly) an oblong figure-eight shape, and it circulates in one region for a while before switching to the other, then back again.

The knobs and CV inputs, I understand, influence how often the signal travels between either half of the figure-eight. The signal still meanders at the same (slow) speed determined by its channel, but it will switch between the two "attractors" more or less often. (The slowest (a.k.a. "Inertia") channel cannot be influenced in this way, just the other two.)

Now imagine that you can break out the two dimensional components of that movement, X vs. Y. In any Triple Sloths channel, the "X" output gives you the value of that signal's X coordinate, and the "Y" output, reasonably, gives you the value of the Y coordinate. (If you take these two channels and draw them on an oscilloscope in XY mode, you will see the figure-eight shape before your eyes.) The "Z" output gives you the inverse of the "Y" output, so it's technically nothing new.

The "+" and "-" outputs on the bottom of the panel give you a voltage that's combination of the three channels, added and summed together, but half-wave rectified. They are combined using the math: "very slow" plus "slowest" minus "slow". The "+" output gives you the _positive_ portion of this new signal, while the "-" gives you the _negative_ portion.

I hope this is helpful. Anyone else, please correct/clarify me as needed.
Last edited by megarat on Tue May 04, 2021 1:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
scragz
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 641
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:19 pm

Re: NLC Triple Sloth

Post by scragz » Mon May 03, 2021 3:55 pm

Plotting this on an XY oscilloscope really made it plainly obvious for my brain.

User avatar
rafyc
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 337
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:01 pm
Location: Paris

Re: NLC Triple Sloth

Post by rafyc » Mon May 03, 2021 7:03 pm

megarat wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 3:06 pm
rafyc wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 5:19 pm
Yeah i red it but "Chaos circuit" "weight of the outputs" "Difference Rectifier" and "out + = VApathy +VInertia - VTorpor If greater than 0, otherwise 0"
Is totally not clear for me.
It do some things sometinmes depending the conditions haha ;)
I'll take a whack at this. You'll probably know some of this, but here goes:

The Triple Sloth has three channels of chaos, at different speeds. Using relative terms, the channels are (from left to right): (1) very slow, (2) slowest of all, (3) slow. I think these chaos generators are more like LFOs than random generators, and in the case of these sloth circuits, imagine a function that draws (roughly) an oblong figure-eight shape, and it circulates in one region for a while before switching to the other, then back again. Now imagine that you can break out the two dimensional components of that moment.

The knobs and CV inputs, I understand, influence how often the signal travels between either half of the figure-eight. The signal still meanders at the same (slow) speed determined by its channel, but it will switch between the two "attractors" more or less often. (The slowest (a.k.a. "Inertia") channel cannot be influenced in this way, just the other two.)

In any Triple Sloths channel, the "X" output gives you the value of that signal's x coordinate, and the "Y" output, reasonably, gives you the value of the y coordinate. (If you take these two channels and draw them on an oscilloscope in XY mode, you will see the figure-eight shape before your eyes.) The "Z" output gives you the inverse of the "Y" output.

The "+" and "-" outputs on the bottom of the panel give you a voltage that's combination of the three channels, added and summed together, but half-wave rectified. They are combined using the math: "very slow" plus "slowest" minus "slow". The "+" output gives you the _positive_ portion of this new signal, while the "-" gives you the _negative_ portion.

I hope this is helpful. Anyone else, please correct/clarify me as needed.
Thanks ! its pretty clear
scragz wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 3:55 pm
Plotting this on an XY oscilloscope really made it plainly obvious for my brain.
Exactly i've just saw that on youtube

User avatar
Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1392
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:03 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: NLC Triple Sloth

Post by Jumbuktu » Mon May 03, 2021 7:14 pm

rafyc wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 5:05 pm
What is this module ? cant figure out what it's doing. Is it a random LFO ?
All of the above explanations are correct, but just in terms of what it does, I think of it as three pairs of slow LFOs, one reasonably slow, one very slow and one that matches the speed of grass growing. Each pair has two 'almost' sine wave outputs, one twice as fast as the other. The waves never repeat themselves exactly - they drift slightly with each repetition.

Patch them into any CV to create evolving organic systems that develop over long periods of time (hours, days). Use the fastest one first so you can hear what impact it has then replace it with one of the slower ones.

Examples of target CVs include sequencer clock rate, LFO rate, FX parameters, sampler parameters, FM index as well as the very obvious filter cutoff frequency and resonance.

williamjturkel
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 339
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:50 am
Location: London, Ontario, Canada

Re: NLC Triple Sloth

Post by williamjturkel » Mon May 03, 2021 8:29 pm

I will admit that I had two of them for many years before I tried patching gates into the inputs, which does affect the behavior of some of the outs.

User avatar
rafyc
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 337
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:01 pm
Location: Paris

Re: NLC Triple Sloth

Post by rafyc » Tue May 04, 2021 5:14 am

andrewF wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 6:12 am
It is a chaos module not a random module, these are different things. I know there are a number of modules with 'chaos' in their names but most of them are random or psuedo-random and are not chaotic.

Chaos creates patterns but they never repeat, each iteration is slightly (or sometimes) vastly different from the previous one.
Random is all over the place with no perceivable pattern. Random has its uses in modular (I love it) but there is little for our minds to latch onto whereas chaos is a natural system that we are used to experiencing so is easier to follow and enjoy.

I have no idea of the best way to use a Triple Sloth, other than patch it into any CV input and see what happens.
Andrew any way to get PCB in EU ? out of stock everywhere and on NLC shipping cost more than the PCB :confused:

User avatar
andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4066
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:36 pm
Location: WA
Contact:

Re: NLC Triple Sloth

Post by andrewF » Tue May 04, 2021 5:23 am

Modular addict should have new stock any day now and Synthcube just dropped a big order. Haven't heard from Thonk in ages so don't expect anything there anytime soon. 3U-shop still have some

Sorry about the shipping, blame Auspost who won't let me send boards as letters anymore, so all orders out of Australia are USD20 shipping with signed delivery and tracking (free within Aus). Not great when you want 1 PCB but pretty good when you order a few modules.

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”