Piston Honda MKIII dual morphing wavetable oscillator

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

johannes
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Piston Honda MKIII dual morphing wavetable oscillator

Post by johannes » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:24 am

Looking forward to hear more phmk3 fm stuff here... i can imagine that combined with the preset engine you can do crazy things.

soggybag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soggybag » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:25 am

tommygee wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:27 am
soggybag wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:55 pm
autopoiesis wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:45 pm
Yeah johannes has it right. Use the input labeled "CV".
That’s it! I knew I had to be doing something wrong. I guess the FM input is only for audio signals so they use the FM CV input to control the FM amount when switch it in the menu. Thanks!
Where, and in what menu, do you switch this ?
Press and hold the rotary encoder and then press the mode button on one of your oscillators. This will show the oscillator menu. Scroll to the bottom the last item is the FM CV options. Press the encoder again to edit this and rotate to change the option. There are two choices there. Press the encoder Gaian to set your choice.

This option is only available with firmware 1.81

tommygee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tommygee » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:21 am

soggybag wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:25 am
tommygee wrote:
soggybag wrote:
autopoiesis wrote:
That’s it! I knew I had to be doing something wrong. I guess the FM input is only for audio signals so they use the FM CV input to control the FM amount when switch it in the menu. Thanks!
Press and hold the rotary encoder and then press the mode button on one of your oscillators. This will show the oscillator menu. Scroll to the bottom the last item is the FM CV options. Press the encoder again to edit this and rotate to change the option. There are two choices there. Press the encoder Gaian to set your choice.

Ah that's why I could not find it, being on firmware 1.2 Guess its time to get that Picket and update lol

soggybag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soggybag » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:16 pm

tommygee wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:21 am
soggybag wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:25 am
tommygee wrote:
soggybag wrote:
autopoiesis wrote:

Ah that's why I could not find it, being on firmware 1.2 Guess its time to get that Picket and update lol
This was such a useful option I had to do the update!

tommygee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tommygee » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:32 am

I was told that the Pickit3 is no longer available here in Sweden. Does anyone know if this one would work for updating firmware ?

https://www.electrokit.com/produkt/pickit4-debugger/

Did try and write Industrialmusicelectronics, but they haven't answered any of my emails for years. Nice customer support lol

nocontact
Common Wiggler

Post by nocontact » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:35 am

Scott can take few minutes up to weeks to answer

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264280036523

Used to be the best deal on pickit3 in EU afaik, purchased in 2019 for 21 eu. 29 is not so bad, shipping only 2. Have upgraded all my mk3 modules without hastle.

James_S
Common Wiggler

Post by James_S » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:02 am

tommygee wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:32 am
I was told that the Pickit3 is no longer available here in Sweden. Does anyone know if this one would work for updating firmware ?

https://www.electrokit.com/produkt/pickit4-debugger/

Did try and write Industrialmusicelectronics, but they haven't answered any of my emails for years. Nice customer support lol
I think all the pickits nowadays are clones.

I bought a clone off amazon and it worked just fine for upgrading my Kermit firmware.

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:56 pm

I had no issues with my cheap clone on the MKIII modules. It did not work with older modules though. Luckily I found a used original on ebay, which worked with MKI modules then.

lordymosh
Wiggling with Experience

Post by lordymosh » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:06 am

I got the PH Mk3 July 2018 and was still on firmware V 1. I finally upgraded to 1.81 and I wish I did it sooner! Using the pickit to upgrade put me off but I was able to upgrade first time trying with no issues. I just followed the youtube video for upgrading firmware.

_gasStationShrimp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by _gasStationShrimp » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:48 pm

I've was wondering if anyone here uses Silent Way/CV Tools to send v/o to their PH. I've never really been able to get the tracking right and so finally emailed scott at IME and he got back to me with a mention of the tuning procedure, and an explanation as to why its calibrated from 1v-7v (that there is a dead band around 0v due to reverse voltage protection).

He also mentioned that I can send it for a factory recalibration, but since they are just going to use the same procedure I'm wondering if that will actually fix my issue, or if its not possible with either Silent Way or CV Tools. If one of the two can, I'd imagine its silent way, but I've been using CV tools lately because it requires less tracks/setup. Anyone here using either of those two to sequence their PH MKIII?

martibs
Learning to Wiggle

Post by martibs » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:42 am

Will updating the firmware from 1.5 to latest fix the CV V/oct pitch tracking issue?

Flamusic
Common Wiggler

Post by Flamusic » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:34 am

martibs wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:42 am
Will updating the firmware from 1.5 to latest fix the CV V/oct pitch tracking issue?
No

Nightly Closures
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nightly Closures » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:19 pm

I sequence mine from a number of different sources and have never had tracking issues with either OSC. I’m also using a very old firmware. I’d like to update the firmware to utilize the improved fm option, but I might just leave it as I’d hate to mess with anything and have these tuning issues some of you have.

Flamusic
Common Wiggler

Post by Flamusic » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:53 pm

Nightly Closures wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:19 pm
I sequence mine from a number of different sources and have never had tracking issues with either OSC. I’m also using a very old firmware. I’d like to update the firmware to utilize the improved fm option, but I might just leave it as I’d hate to mess with anything and have these tuning issues some of you have.
I think tts relativ what tuning issues are for some people.
When you play blips and blops ore stay within a few notes its not noticeable for many people i think.
But if you try to play with some other tuned Instruments and look closer at a precise tuner its easy to see and hear.
It was also confirmed by Scott that there is an Issue.
But no fix was offered

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:20 pm

Anyone here have any clue to their current production schedule? Detroit Modular told me they were getting an IME shipment a couple months ago and I either missed it (quite possible), or it never came. They actually had several IME modules in stock late last year, but I had spent so much money at that point, I couldn't rationalize the purchase. I guess I should've just bit the bullet and bought every IME module they had.

chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chvad » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:39 pm

I just emailed IME last week and they told me they were about to ship out ,doubles to Europe and the. The US shortly afterwards. I’m also waiting to grab a Piston Honda

James_S
Common Wiggler

Post by James_S » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:48 am

chvad wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:39 pm
I just emailed IME last week and they told me they were about to ship out ,doubles to Europe and the. The US shortly afterwards. I’m also waiting to grab a Piston Honda
Hopefully that will include the Bionic Lester as I've had it ordered since March!!

Bascule
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bascule » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:33 pm

Hi there,

Thomann has Piston Honda MKIII on stock, if anyone is interested. At least in Germany they do . They just sent out mine it seems :eek:

Kdistortnoise
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Kdistortnoise » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:15 am

Hi,

Just receive my Piston Honda Mk3 from Thomann and the PIN 1 on the back of the module are totally bend. Do i need to sent it back ? is it ok to install the module in my rack and use like it ? Can i fix it carefully with my fingers ? What is this PIN 1 ? Sorry im totally new to modular and im very affraid…

Thank you for your help,

Kevin

Kdistortnoise
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Kdistortnoise » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:17 am

Photo here..
Attachments
E618EEAB-3CE0-4C6B-9396-C898380F269F.jpeg

Sleepfc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sleepfc » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:42 am

Kdistortnoise wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:15 am
Hi,

Just receive my Piston Honda Mk3 from Thomann and the PIN 1 on the back of the module are totally bend. Do i need to sent it back ? is it ok to install the module in my rack and use like it ? Can i fix it carefully with my fingers ? What is this PIN 1 ? Sorry im totally new to modular and im very affraid…

Thank you for your help,

Kevin
It’s fine, you can still use it. Literally every piece of IME gear has this issue, not sure why but they remain fully functional

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:09 am

Kdistortnoise wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:15 am
Hi,

Thank you for your help,

Kevin
That's the header you connect the PicKit device to to update the firmware. Pin 1 refers to one of the 6 pins and shows the orientation of the header when you connect it. The PicKit has a small triangle on the corrsponding side.

As sad above nearly all IME modules look like that when you get them. You can keep it like that until you need to update or just bend them in place again. Just take care that they are not bend so severly that they are touching each other.

It's an decision they made about how to pack and ships things properly that is not easy to understand.

don_looney
Learning to Wiggle

Post by don_looney » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:19 pm

Bascule wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:33 pm
Hi there,

Thomann has Piston Honda MKIII on stock, if anyone is interested. At least in Germany they do . They just sent out mine it seems :eek:
Mine is also on the way :sb:

I want to use the Massive X wavetables with it. Anybody did this already?

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mixxalot » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:25 pm

I have a question. Since I have the Kermit MK2 and Hertz Donut, is the Piston Honda still worth getting and if so, what would it add to my setup?
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/modben

My modular setup (always work in progress)
Doepfer Monster
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1533298

Sequencer Modular Case
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1533306

MDLR 14u travel case (super heavy but portable):
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1391380

VanEck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by VanEck » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:49 pm

mixxalot wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:25 pm
I have a question. Since I have the Kermit MK2 and Hertz Donut, is the Piston Honda still worth getting and if so, what would it add to my setup?
not much overlap at all between the donut and piston. very different oscillators.

kermit shares some similarities in that it can be used as an osc and is wavetable table based... but modulating the piston with the kermit is like peas and carrots. they go together very well and the piston is far more powerful as a voice than the kermit.

also piston can do audio processing, which is incredible.
DISHEVELED -- PROMETHEUS BURNING

SysEx Dumpster Podcast - modular, gear, and other garbage

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”