Piston Honda MKIII dual morphing wavetable oscillator

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Post Reply
User avatar
johannes
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 355
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:31 pm

Re: Piston Honda MKIII dual morphing wavetable oscillator

Post by johannes » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:44 pm

Hmm, i thought that ime changed some pots on the latest batches, no?
Edit. Sorry, I misread. I just saw that it was about buttons not knobs. Anyway, did they actually changed the knobs for xyz mod to something more stable? Also, From schneiders webpage i saw that the fm mod a is a small trimmer now...so they might changed the knobs.

User avatar
lionel
Common Wiggler
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:10 pm

Re: Piston Honda MKIII dual morphing wavetable oscillator

Post by lionel » Sun May 02, 2021 1:44 pm

Hi,
Sorry if this question has already been covered, but do you know when the next batch will be available ?
I’m in europe
Music Store says « approximately for jully, the 12 »
That’s too long :spin:

User avatar
studioutopia
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 553
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:28 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Piston Honda MKIII dual morphing wavetable oscillator

Post by studioutopia » Sun May 02, 2021 3:51 pm

Sleepfc wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:58 am
timeforest wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:51 am
the clear plastic buttons in mine wiggle around a lot. is this normal for PH/IME modules?
Yup
Very normal.
I'm pretty sure they are just tact switch caps - not actually physically attached to the switch/LED underneath.
Here is a pic from a google search that illustrates how these look inside. The tact switch is soldered to the PCB (upper three in the pic).
The button you actually touch is just sitting on the tact switch, floating between the tact switch and the front panel. It has a flange/shoudler to ensure it doesn't fall through the hole in the face plate. The wobble has no effect on it's function, and has no reflection on the "quality" of the switch.
The most "wobbly" tact buttons I have are on Xaoc Zadar. I assume the more wobbly they are, the more play/distance they have between the face plate and fully sitting/engaged on the tact switch.
Image

wasabi
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:53 am

Re: Piston Honda MKIII dual morphing wavetable oscillator

Post by wasabi » Mon May 03, 2021 5:43 pm

lionel wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 1:44 pm
Hi,
Sorry if this question has already been covered, but do you know when the next batch will be available ?
I’m in europe
Music Store says « approximately for jully, the 12 »
That’s too long :spin:
I‘m also waiting. Got an order in and *trying* to be patient.

User avatar
lionel
Common Wiggler
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:10 pm

Re: Piston Honda MKIII dual morphing wavetable oscillator

Post by lionel » Tue May 04, 2021 5:14 am

wasabi wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 5:43 pm
lionel wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 1:44 pm
Hi,
Sorry if this question has already been covered, but do you know when the next batch will be available ?
I’m in europe
Music Store says « approximately for jully, the 12 »
That’s too long :spin:
I‘m also waiting. Got an order in and *trying* to be patient.
Where did you did you place your order ?
I’m used to Schneider but they mention nothing about the delivery date of this module...
I’m looking for a shop that have a waiting list ;)

User avatar
Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2449
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:26 am
Location: Rungholt

Re: Piston Honda MKIII dual morphing wavetable oscillator

Post by Leverkusen » Tue May 04, 2021 7:03 am

My impression over the last years was, that musicstore seemed to receive all the MKIII modules before other shops had them in stock. Personally I try to favor Schneidersladen though.

User avatar
lionel
Common Wiggler
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:10 pm

Re: Piston Honda MKIII dual morphing wavetable oscillator

Post by lionel » Tue May 04, 2021 7:41 am

Leverkusen wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:03 am
My impression over the last years was, that musicstore seemed to receive all the MKIII modules before other shops had them in stock. Personally I try to favor Schneidersladen though.
Anyway, by now, it’s nowhere
I’ll go with Music Store
Thanks ✌️

User avatar
boom blip
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 3:23 pm
Location: Asheville, NC

Re: Piston Honda MKIII dual morphing wavetable oscillator

Post by boom blip » Mon May 17, 2021 10:37 am

Anyone got any favorite wavetables they use with this? Or any they have made and want to share? The Waveedit site is swamped with so many wavetables and figure I would see if anyone had any they had made or that they were specifically enjoying.

Besfar
Common Wiggler
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:59 pm

Re: Piston Honda MKIII dual morphing wavetable oscillator

Post by Besfar » Mon May 17, 2021 3:33 pm

If you have serum or wavetable in ableton, you can drag and drop them to have a better preview to see what you like best.

I personally like the kermit mk3 waves very much, and a bunch of sinewave variations in is always nice for fm.

User avatar
johannes
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 355
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:31 pm

Re: Piston Honda MKIII dual morphing wavetable oscillator

Post by johannes » Mon May 17, 2021 3:41 pm

boom blip wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 10:37 am
Anyone got any favorite wavetables they use with this? Or any they have made and want to share? The Waveedit site is swamped with so many wavetables and figure I would see if anyone had any they had made or that they were specifically enjoying.
not sure what you ar after. but the kyma wavetables lib is lovley. just search waveedit lib…

milkyjoe
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 825
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 10:46 am

Re: Piston Honda MKIII dual morphing wavetable oscillator

Post by milkyjoe » Tue May 18, 2021 4:03 pm

What exactly do you mean by "kyma wavetables lib" ?
Are you referring to the 1 single wavetable in the waveedit online download ?
There seems no way to search tags (or anything for that matter)on that site...
Is there an actual library somewhere of kyma wavetables ?

User avatar
johannes
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 355
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:31 pm

Re: Piston Honda MKIII dual morphing wavetable oscillator

Post by johannes » Tue May 18, 2021 4:52 pm

I meant the kyma particles bank:
https://waveeditonline.com/wav/KYMA_PAR.WAV

User avatar
lomma-kommun
Common Wiggler
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:29 am

Re: Piston Honda MKIII dual morphing wavetable oscillator

Post by lomma-kommun » Tue May 18, 2021 5:13 pm

Just placed an order on sneidersladen when I red about another batch. Got an exact measured gap in my rack just for this.

Exited!

User avatar
Risc_Terilia
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 373
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:50 am
Location: UK

Re: Piston Honda MKIII dual morphing wavetable oscillator

Post by Risc_Terilia » Tue May 25, 2021 2:38 am

Any chance of seeing one of these in UK shops soon please?

enno
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:14 am

Re: Piston Honda MKIII dual morphing wavetable oscillator

Post by enno » Tue May 25, 2021 3:08 am

lomma-kommun wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 5:13 pm
Just placed an order on sneidersladen when I red about another batch. Got an exact measured gap in my rack just for this.

Exited!
A 17HP gap? ;)

User avatar
lionel
Common Wiggler
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:10 pm

Re: Piston Honda MKIII dual morphing wavetable oscillator

Post by lionel » Tue May 25, 2021 5:07 am

Hertz Donut
Is in stock right now at Schneiders
The Piston should arrived too

User avatar
lomma-kommun
Common Wiggler
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:29 am

Re: Piston Honda MKIII dual morphing wavetable oscillator

Post by lomma-kommun » Wed May 26, 2021 1:39 am

enno wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 3:08 am
A 17HP gap? ;)
Darn.. it is 16. I have to file to make it fit.

Serious tho I rearranged with the Honda in mind.

Why is it called Piston Honda?

wasabi
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:53 am

Re: Piston Honda MKIII dual morphing wavetable oscillator

Post by wasabi » Wed May 26, 2021 2:09 am

Likely a Punchout reference. (https://punchout.fandom.com/wiki/Piston_Hondo).

Scott has an understandable soft spot for early video game music and gave a super interesting talk on techniques used in those days. Check this out!

RawMaterial
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:33 pm
Location: United States

Re: Piston Honda MKIII dual morphing wavetable oscillator

Post by RawMaterial » Fri May 28, 2021 1:02 am

I got a new PHmkIII, FW 1.81. I'm noticing that the select button for osc A rarely works. I understand how it's supposed to work-- you can't de-select it if osc B is already de-selected. But it won't de-select even when osc B is selected. The opposite is also the case-- can't select it when it's de-selected. The strange thing is that sometimes it works as expected, then seemingly randomly stops working again. I contacted IME via email, but haven't heard back yet. Anyone else experiencing this?

_gasStationShrimp
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:32 am

Re: Piston Honda MKIII dual morphing wavetable oscillator

Post by _gasStationShrimp » Fri May 28, 2021 1:26 am

wasabi wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 2:09 am
Likely a Punchout reference. (https://punchout.fandom.com/wiki/Piston_Hondo).

Scott has an understandable soft spot for early video game music and gave a super interesting talk on techniques used in those days. Check this out!

Scott looks like a caricature of a sys admin

User avatar
Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2977
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:33 pm
Location: United States

Re: Piston Honda MKIII dual morphing wavetable oscillator

Post by Gringo Starr » Fri May 28, 2021 1:27 am

lomma-kommun wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 1:39 am

Why is it called Piston Honda?
Because it sounded better than Glass Joe or Bald Bull.
Paul Di'Anno > Bruce Dickinson.

Archimboldi
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:54 pm

Re: Piston Honda MKIII dual morphing wavetable oscillator

Post by Archimboldi » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:45 am

Hey all -- I have a very beginner question and I apologize. I can't seem to fully grasp how this particular module works, but I absolutely LOVE the sounds produced in all the videos and how intuitive it is to use. I also understand how it fuctions... but what happens under the hood (in terms of morphing waveforms/wavetables)? I think the parenthetical explains my lack of understanding, which I fully own as a newer sound designer/synthesizer owner. Does each axis have 8 waveforms (single cycle on loop?) or 8 different full wavetables? If the later, does the module cycle through the table if the knob is set on a particular axis? How do the axes interact? I think, based on the videos, that it operates as 8 waveforms in each axis... and, based off of the interaction of the axes, the output waveform morphs into a unique waveform built from all three axes. If this is the case, is chosen waveform in the wavetable based on a algorithm to output one of 512 combos?

My context for wavetable synthesis comes from Ableton's Wavetable synth. I understand (I think, though PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong) that if I load a wavetable into it (or select a preset), send an LFO or ENV to the position, then the modulation changes the waveform I'm hearing (if just using one oscillator) based on the position in the wavetable. How does the PH work relative to this?

User avatar
scragz
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 692
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:19 pm

Re: Piston Honda MKIII dual morphing wavetable oscillator

Post by scragz » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:09 pm

Archimboldi wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:45 am
Does each axis have 8 waveforms (single cycle on loop?) or 8 different full wavetables? If the later, does the module cycle through the table if the knob is set on a particular axis? How do the axes interact? I think, based on the videos, that it operates as 8 waveforms in each axis... and, based off of the interaction of the axes, the output waveform morphs into a unique waveform built from all three axes. If this is the case, is chosen waveform in the wavetable based on a algorithm to output one of 512 combos?
Sort of.....

There are 8 wave files with 64 waves each. Z picks which wave file. Y picks which block of 8 within the file. X picks the actual wave from the block. But you can smoothly morph between any of these.

So with everything zeroed out, you would be file 1, block 1, wave 1.

Move Z up a bit and it morphs to file 2 (Z at 2), block 1 (Y at 1), wave 1(X at 1).

Move X up a bit and it morphs to file 2, block 1, wave 2.

Move Y all the way up and it morphs to file 2 (Z at 2), block 8 (Y at 8), wave 2 (X at 2). In between this you will morph through all the blocks in file 2 picking wave 2 from each.

It might help to conceptualize them as a 8x8x8 cube and morphing along each axis, but they are roughly grouped by Z then Y then X so it helps me to keep the underlying structure in mind.

Archimboldi
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:54 pm

Re: Piston Honda MKIII dual morphing wavetable oscillator

Post by Archimboldi » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:24 pm

scragz wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:09 pm
Archimboldi wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:45 am
Does each axis have 8 waveforms (single cycle on loop?) or 8 different full wavetables? If the later, does the module cycle through the table if the knob is set on a particular axis? How do the axes interact? I think, based on the videos, that it operates as 8 waveforms in each axis... and, based off of the interaction of the axes, the output waveform morphs into a unique waveform built from all three axes. If this is the case, is chosen waveform in the wavetable based on a algorithm to output one of 512 combos?
Sort of.....

There are 8 wave files with 64 waves each. Z picks which wave file. Y picks which block of 8 within the file. X picks the actual wave from the block. But you can smoothly morph between any of these.
Thank you. Now the process is clear! I really appreciate you taking the time to write that out with the examples. :sb:

OHEXOH
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 571
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:32 pm
Location: Portland
Contact:

Re: Piston Honda MKIII dual morphing wavetable oscillator

Post by OHEXOH » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:05 pm

The Honda is in stock @ Modular8 for any USA peeps
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

Post Reply

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”