Piston Honda MKIII dual morphing wavetable oscillator

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Kdistortnoise
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Piston Honda MKIII dual morphing wavetable oscillator

Post by Kdistortnoise » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:17 pm

@Sleepfc @Leverkusen

Thank you very much for your response ! Little bit surprised and disappointed by this.. module is quite expensive, they can do better packing for avoid this..

Aniway, can’t wait to try it ! Thanks again,

Kevin

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mixxalot » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:07 pm

Cool I want one. Also Volkmires Inferno when released and Double Andore. I’d love an all Harvestman IME case. Maybe I’ll do that with my spare Doepfer 6u case.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/modben

My modular setup (always work in progress)
Doepfer Monster
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1533298

Sequencer Modular Case
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1533306

MDLR 14u travel case (super heavy but portable):
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1391380

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:07 pm

mixxalot wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:07 pm
Cool I want one. Also Volkmires Inferno when released and Double Andore. I’d love an all Harvestman IME case. Maybe I’ll do that with my spare Doepfer 6u case.
Who wouldn't??? Damn, it's taking all of my won't-power to not buy a Piston Honda from Thomann's—whoops! Missed it—they're all sold out already. Will also need the Donut and Kermit to go with of course. DEFINITELY the Inferno (when, when when?).

[Five-minutes later . . . ] Okay, Piston Honda pre-order is in at Detroit Modular. Both Donut and Kermit say "out-of-stock," but the Piston Honda says "pre-order." Both this and the Schlappi Angle Grinder have been on my want-list forever (finally broke down and got the Schlappi last week—couldn't be happier with it!).

gegeartist
Common Wiggler

Post by gegeartist » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:43 pm

I have plug in my circuit bent casio sk-1 in my Piston honda mk3. It sounds very good 👍

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mixxalot » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:28 pm

Angle Grinder is super fun with IME Harvestman modules. I’m going to save up for a Piston Honda in addition to the Assimil8or sampler.
My music:

Doepfer Monster

Sequencer Modular Case

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:15 pm

mixxalot wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:28 pm
Angle Grinder is super fun with IME Harvestman modules. I’m going to save up for a Piston Honda in addition to the Assimil8or sampler.
That's great! Angle Grinder seems to go well with everything! Such a cool module, another one I've waited to buy for some time (I feared too much overlap with my 100 Grit, but there's zero-overlap). Now, I've dipped my toe into the other top-drawer brand—IME. Their premium prices kept me frugal, but finally, I've joined the IME party. Can't wait!

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mixxalot » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:42 am

Schlappi Engineering is also coming out with a cool new function generator Boundary that looks like a cool alternative to Maths.
My music:

Doepfer Monster

Sequencer Modular Case

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:35 pm

studio460 wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:15 pm
mixxalot wrote:
That's great! Angle Grinder seems to go well with everything! Such a cool module, another one I've waited to buy for some time (I feared too much overlap with my 100 Grit, but there's zero-overlap). Now, I've dipped my toe into the other top-drawer brand—IME. Their premium prices kept me frugal, but finally, I've joined the IME party. Can't wait!
IME isn't cheap, but I don't find it that expensive either. The modules are feature rich. The current line of oscillators are cheaper than many other complex oscillators. In general I don't like the concept of "top shelf" or premium brands in eurorack. I mean, there are certain manufacturers that are very cost effective (Ladik for instance). Most euro is fairly costly. And then there are modules like Macbeth or Cwejman which if you had to categorize them, they might come with a more premium price tag. I don't see Harvestman as a major outlier. Ha, this is coming from someone who recently got into 200e, so take it with a grain of salt.

Human Koala
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Human Koala » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:06 am

Maths + Wogglebug -> Piston Honda MK3 -> QMMG -> Germania -> MonSoon -> Strymon Bluesky :omg: :omg: :omg:

need to find a new place for my HZ Donut MK1 in my rack now ;)

HK

timcross
Learning to Wiggle

Post by timcross » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:39 am

Just got mine, loving it so far. Great range of sounds possible.

I just had a questions: when you change which OSC is selected, and you change the sliders (but there position doesn't match) they jump to the new position. Is there a way to make them do a soft pickup?
Sound explorer and arranger, voyaging through the aural universe

https://soundcloud.com/tim_cross
https://www.facebook.com/timcrossexplorer

gringostar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gringostar » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:31 am

Sinamsis wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:35 pm
studio460 wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:15 pm
mixxalot wrote:
IME isn't cheap, but I don't find it that expensive either. The modules are feature rich. The current line of oscillators are cheaper than many other complex oscillators. In general I don't like the concept of "top shelf" or premium brands in eurorack. I mean, there are certain manufacturers that are very cost effective (Ladik for instance). Most euro is fairly costly. And then there are modules like Macbeth or Cwejman which if you had to categorize them, they might come with a more premium price tag. I don't see Harvestman as a major outlier. Ha, this is coming from someone who recently got into 200e, so take it with a grain of salt.
Yeah, IME is fairly priced for what you get but you get a lot so the price is going to reflect that. A good comparison right now would be Kermit mk3 and Zadar+Nin which both have the same price and are both quad modulators that have a lot of overlap with each other, however each have their specialties and uniqueness and it's those things where the choice comes down to which to get.

Also, I would totally add Metasonix to that premium category (but again, worth it), although if you think the angle grinder pairs well with IME a Hertz Donut mk3 paired with an RK3 is bonkers.

hpsmasher
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hpsmasher » Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:37 am

"Hertz Donut mk3 paired with an RK3 is bonkers."

This is indeed an awesome combo. I love running my IME through the RK3. The RK2 is nice too but the RK3 is tops.

Telefone_529
Common Wiggler

Post by Telefone_529 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:18 pm

Anyone have any demos of this processing external audio more? The videos I've seen either don't mention it or only in passing, maybe with 1 basic demo.

I'm curious what it sounds like with other stuff going in.

Thanks

gringostar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gringostar » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:46 am

Telefone_529 wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:18 pm
Anyone have any demos of this processing external audio more? The videos I've seen either don't mention it or only in passing, maybe with 1 basic demo.

Thanks
IME put out a video of pretty much only processing external audio with both the HD mk3 and PH mk3.

Telefone_529
Common Wiggler

Post by Telefone_529 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:17 am

gringostar wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:46 am
Telefone_529 wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:18 pm

Thanks
IME put out a video of pretty much only processing external audio with both the HD mk3 and PH mk3.

Thank you! I must have missed that!

James_S
Common Wiggler

Post by James_S » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:18 am

Hi everyone. In terms of calibration, I'm not sure the best way to do this. I have a voltera but this only goes from 0-5V bipolar as far as I know, so while I could send a 1V into the octave, I wouldn't be able to send 7V as far as I can tell. Can anybody help me think of a way I could calibrate the PH? Apologies if I'm missing something super obvious but it's the first time I've set about doing this. Generally the tracking on the oscillators are fine but not 100% perfect (never drifting enough to sound out of tune but never staying in centre position when jumping between larger intervals) so I'm thinking a calibration might be in order.

r_omega_
Common Wiggler

Post by r_omega_ » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:11 pm

SavageMessiah wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:06 pm
I'm kinda surprised more people don't complain about the fact that PH3 doesn't track 1/vO properly between 0 and 1 volts. Do you just use 1v as the lowest note in your sequences or something?
shkrjn wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:03 am
Chiming in a bit late - I have the same issue with my Piston Honda MK III - The pitch warble is intermittent and doesn't happen all of the time. I also have issues with tracking - in some octaves it will consistently be flat by 20-25 cents and when I get to the next octave it will snap back into tune. It is not an issue where it gradually goes out of tune like an analog oscillator where the pitch gradually goes flat as you climb up the keyboard - the lack of consistency makes it particularly frustrating as I cannot simply adjust the tracking trimmer on the back. I was wondering where you were at with your issue and if you got it fixed? Does anyone know if this issue has been resolved with newer batches? I would consider just buying a new one rather than trying to get mine fixed. I recently changed my case to an intellijel performance case, so our power supplies seem to be a constant. I was using a trogotronic case and PSU before - I'm not sure if I had the same issue with that PSU because I was not using my modular as often then. I love the sound of this module and really want it to work as it should
Flamusic wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:53 pm
I think tts relativ what tuning issues are for some people.
When you play blips and blops ore stay within a few notes its not noticeable for many people i think.
But if you try to play with some other tuned Instruments and look closer at a precise tuner its easy to see and hear.
It was also confirmed by Scott that there is an Issue.
But no fix was offered
Right away I noticed that something was slightly off with the V/Oct tracking. For example, if I have the PH tuned to, say, C3, with my keyboard as controller, if I play C4, it's considerably flat. I tried doing the same thing with my Intellijel Dixie, and while it also is a bit flat, is about half as much. The PH is pretty close to a full quarter tone where the Dixie is more like 1/8 tone. I can't really hear the flatness of the Dixie but the quarter-tone with the PH is more noticeable to my ears.

Another related weird thing: So if I go up the diatonic scale, C3-D3-E3-F3-G3-A4-B4-C4, D3 through C4 are all flat by about the same amount (close to a quarter tone)...!? It's as if the rest of the notes are in tune but the note I was tuning to is a quarter tone sharp lol.
SavageMessiah wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:57 pm
For those deciding on the module, the problem is that the reverse current protection diode (I think) on the pitch input creates a small deadband. If you tune the oscillator to, say, C3 with 0v on the input and then bump the input to 1V it will be about 20 cents flat (YMMV). That offset will stay pretty consistent as the voltage increases so it's not a tracking issue per se. It's a weird choice. I always treat 0V as the lowest note I would want and tune to that and I imagine most other people do that too.
Reading this late; you are describing the exact--I mean EXACT--thing I perceived! What an annoying little bug! Gonna have to see if I can just deal with it considering the awesome range of sounds this thing makes...
Flamusic wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:11 pm
I wrote with IME more than a year ago about the pitch tracking problems.
Never got a satisfying answer.
I hate to be judgy or demanding but that pretty disappointing that the owner/company seems to kind of be ignoring this issue. Can we petition them to fix it or something?? I just started digging into my PH and this could be a dealbreaker for me. I am absolutely loving the variety of colorful unique tones I'm getting out of it so far but pitch stability is really important to me.

PS: After reading through this part of the thread, I'm fairly certain that this has nothing to do with power supply.

EDIT: @Wubz, I'm now also noticing the warbling thing on every pitch but the root pitch (what the main frequency knob is set to)...seems like the V/Oct tracking on this thing is less than efficient.
Last edited by r_omega_ on Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:19 pm, edited 7 times in total.

r_omega_
Common Wiggler

Post by r_omega_ » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:15 pm

soggybag wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:55 pm
autopoiesis wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:45 pm
Yeah johannes has it right. Use the input labeled "CV".
That’s it! I knew I had to be doing something wrong. I guess the FM input is only for audio signals so they use the FM CV input to control the FM amount when switch it in the menu. Thanks!
FWIW: New to PH and this was a super helpful exchange. Thanks to @Karl_Joseph and @johannes as well.

James_S
Common Wiggler

Post by James_S » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:17 pm

Ah good to know it's not just me who has this issue. When I get into the higher resisters the tracking and tuning when sequencing from my Metron/ Voltera is all over the shop. I'm yet to calibrate mine as I don't have a voltage source that goes from 0-7V unipolar that I can tune it from.

Cfcarter
Common Wiggler

Post by Cfcarter » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:03 pm

Sorry if this not be one of the best advices but I use a precision adder before v/oct on my PH. I tune it one octave up, or whatever, so it's not 0 volt. Then it's bang on. But I do agree its a very weird "issue"

r_omega_
Common Wiggler

Post by r_omega_ » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:49 pm

Update: I'm comparing to my Intellijel Dixie (analog VCO) again today. A couple observations:

1. When I'm using my Arturia BeatStep for tracking, its CV out voltages per half-step are less stable than using my Intellijel Metropolix sequencer.
2. Using the Metropolix to vary the pitch, the Dixie is drifting slightly upward at each interval, so by the time I get to C4 from C3, I'm less than 1/8 tone (about 10 cents) above perfect tuning...not audible to my ears and never was.
3. Switching over to PH, and confirming the weird "flattening" after the first half-step, I'm sure that @SavageMessiah is right: It's flattening between unison and the first half step by about 15-20 cents then it just stays pretty much perfectly at that tuning for all the intervals above...weird!

@Cfcarter: I totally get what you're doing, you're tuning a half step below what you really want (say, to B2), then adding a small amount of voltage via a Precision Adder to get past the weird first half-step flattening, adding until you get a perfect C3. Then you can go to your keyboard, play C3, and PH is perfectly in tune, then at each half step from there, it stays pretty much spot on. Smart!

Without a precision adder, you can add a little CV but less stable. I think what I'm gonna do for now is tune a tad flat, but tune one octave above my root. So everything in the scale will be a tad flat and the root will be a tad sharp. Pretty unnoticeable to my ears that way. :)

Via @SavageMessiah, I don't know what "the reverse current protection diode on the pitch input creates a small deadband" means, but it sounds like a hardware issue actually, which might explain why IME is kind of ignoring us...? Annoying little design flaw I guess, oh well.

DOUBLE EDIT: I just tried playing notes below the tuning, it doesn't track below the tuning pitch (the V/Oct doesn't accept negative voltage, as indicated on the panel)?? Is that normal? My Dixie goes below the tuning pitch, which I assume means it accepts + and - voltage at the V/Oct. Really??

notinachos
Common Wiggler

Post by notinachos » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:12 pm

r_omega_ wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:49 pm
DOUBLE EDIT: I just tried playing notes below the tuning, it doesn't track below the tuning pitch (the V/Oct doesn't accept negative voltage, as indicated on the panel)?? Is that normal? My Dixie goes below the tuning pitch, which I assume means it accepts + and - voltage at the V/Oct. Really??
That's correct. PH3 only accepts positive voltages on v/oct. It's clearly labeled on the panel, but I also failed to realize the implications until I had the module in my rack. I like to use a precision adder to nudge my -/+ sources into 0/+ ranges.

SavageMessiah
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SavageMessiah » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:35 pm

r_omega_ wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:49 pm
Via @SavageMessiah, I don't know what "the reverse current protection diode on the pitch input creates a small deadband" means, but it sounds like a hardware issue actually, which might explain why IME is kind of ignoring us...? Annoying little design flaw I guess, oh well.
I am not an electricityologist but I think what he meant by deadband is that voltages very near zero get clamped to zero. That seems like it would cause what we are seeing. It does seem to be a deliberate part of the hardware design, albeit a completely baffling one. Tons of, maybe even most, eurorack modules have reverse current protection but I've never seen anything like this elsewhere. The module sounds fantastic but honestly I don't have it racked right now because the 1/vo problem annoyed me so much. Putting a precision adder in front of it to add 1 volt and then tuning that way seems to be easiest way to fix it but I don't want to tie up half of my hemispheres to do that job.

Cfcarter
Common Wiggler

Post by Cfcarter » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:10 pm

Don't forget that Piston is s very very nice waveshaper. All the tuning "issues" is not a problem if you send something into the external in ;)

A mighty expensive waveshaper that is..

dahliafae
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dahliafae » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:57 pm

Does anyone know if the Piston Honda is available to purchase anywhere? Or if it will be back in stock soon?

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”