Hexinverter Mindphaser - Complex Oscillator

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

docile fossil
Common Wiggler

Re: Hexinverter Mindphaser - Complex Oscillator

Post by docile fossil »

evileye0702 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:10 am The range of sounds one can get from this module are truly outstanding. For a moment I wondered if having multiple complex oscillators would be excessive (I also own a DPO) but now I'm thinking the more the merrier.
i’m researching complex oscillators to fill a 28hp (potentially 30) hole in my heart and keep falling back to the old-guard DPO. for lack of a better term, it tends to feel the most “alive” in the same sense as the 100 Grit, if you’re familiar. i haven’t done as deep a dive into the Mindphaser, but it looks to be a top contender.

what would be your comparison/breakdown between the DPO and Mindphaser? i realize they’re not exactly apples, but i’m digging for all the info i can.
::/:..:
.:..:\.
Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos »

There’s a comparison of the 2 on YouTube...
Maybe you’d like to buy some of these nice used modules?

viewtopic.php?p=3730210&hilit=Lotsa#p3730210
Basho
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Basho »

Just got shipping notification for the Mindphaser from Detroit Modular. Looks like the batch has made it out to dealers.
jschussler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jschussler »

docile fossil wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:34 am
evileye0702 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:10 am The range of sounds one can get from this module are truly outstanding. For a moment I wondered if having multiple complex oscillators would be excessive (I also own a DPO) but now I'm thinking the more the merrier.
i’m researching complex oscillators to fill a 28hp (potentially 30) hole in my heart and keep falling back to the old-guard DPO. for lack of a better term, it tends to feel the most “alive” in the same sense as the 100 Grit, if you’re familiar. i haven’t done as deep a dive into the Mindphaser, but it looks to be a top contender.

what would be your comparison/breakdown between the DPO and Mindphaser? i realize they’re not exactly apples, but i’m digging for all the info i can.
I had the same question. Here's my answer:

morgulbee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by morgulbee »

Heads up! Detroit Modular shipped their Mindphaser preorders today (mine is on the way) and their website now shows it as in stock.
noisewreck
Veteran Wiggler

Post by noisewreck »

jschussler wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:30 pm

The main problem I have with this video is that he keeps the modulator in sync mode the whole time which robs from about 80% of the sonic potential you can actually get from the Mindphaser.
Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos »

morgulbee wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:17 pm Heads up! Detroit Modular shipped their Mindphaser preorders today (mine is on the way) and their website now shows it as in stock.

So there’s no reason anyone should consider buying the one up for sale here that’s 101 bucks over retail price!
Maybe you’d like to buy some of these nice used modules?

viewtopic.php?p=3730210&hilit=Lotsa#p3730210
jschussler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jschussler »

noisewreck wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:38 pm

The main problem I have with this video is that he keeps the modulator in sync mode the whole time which robs from about 80% of the sonic potential you can actually get from the Mindphaser.
Your wish is my command:

noisewreck
Veteran Wiggler

Post by noisewreck »

jschussler wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:07 pm
noisewreck wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:38 pm

Your wish is my command:

Nice! :hail:
miles_macquarrie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by miles_macquarrie »

Zymos wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:41 pm
morgulbee wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:17 pm Heads up! Detroit Modular shipped their Mindphaser preorders today (mine is on the way) and their website now shows it as in stock.

So there’s no reason anyone should consider buying the one up for sale here that’s 101 bucks over retail price!
I felt bad about that the moment I put it up. I've never done that with a module before. You unintentionally made me feel worse and I dropped the price to $540.
docile fossil
Common Wiggler

Post by docile fossil »

:hyper:

…now if we could only get a three-way with the upcoming Cosmotronic Vortex :ponytail:
::/:..:
.:..:\.
liamshy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by liamshy »

575A598C-7FD2-4CE8-A245-0CF22EE2BC63.jpeg
Mindphaser finally arrived and my 420 is now complete. Thank you Stacy!!! And Detroit Modular. 🙏 I’m so freaking pumped!!
liamshy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by liamshy »

First patch - can it Acid? I think the answer is a resounding YES. 🤤

virtualpt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by virtualpt »

liamshy wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:37 am First patch - can it Acid? I think the answer is a resounding YES. 🤤

A masterful performance dude :sb:
For Sale/Trade: Triple Sloths, ONA Oscillator, Milky Way, Black Hole DSP2, Logica XT, Pexp2, Erica Seqs, Flipanda

https://fierceislands.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/fierceislands/
liamshy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by liamshy »

virtualpt wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:02 pm
liamshy wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:37 am First patch - can it Acid? I think the answer is a resounding YES. 🤤
A masterful performance dude :sb:
Thank you so much!! All of the synth sound design is just Mindphaser's two sawtooth outputs. Other than that just kick (crater)/bass (plonk)/vocal samples (rample). Wanted to see how big Mindphaser could get all on it's own, and it did not disappoint! Really looking forward to digging even deeper into this module! While it has a lot of similarities to DPO, it definitely has it's own character and sound that's completely unique.

Appreciate you checking it out! 🙏
stamppotwortel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by stamppotwortel »

Very pleased with mindphaser, but noticing something strange. My modbus/index output is always uni-polar (triangle-led stays blue). Unless I directly patch the output of the modulator to the index-input. Then it becomes bipolair (triangle led goes red/blue). It,s not just the led. For instance, I only get the thru zero amplitude modulation ween I use the external patch method).

I have watched some of the tutorial video’s and have notieced that in some of them the default output is bipolair (for instance the,technical presentation by hexinverter) and in some of them the default behavior is unipolar (for instance the dop/mindphaser comparison, the led stays blue). This made me wonder if this behavior is somehow selectable? Am I overlooking a switch or setting that controles this behavior?
hexinverter
the nettles make me think happy times

Post by hexinverter »

stamppotwortel wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:00 am Very pleased with mindphaser, but noticing something strange. My modbus/index output is always uni-polar (triangle-led stays blue). Unless I directly patch the output of the modulator to the index-input. Then it becomes bipolair (triangle led goes red/blue). It,s not just the led. For instance, I only get the thru zero amplitude modulation ween I use the external patch method).

I have watched some of the tutorial video’s and have notieced that in some of them the default output is bipolair (for instance the,technical presentation by hexinverter) and in some of them the default behavior is unipolar (for instance the dop/mindphaser comparison, the led stays blue). This made me wonder if this behavior is somehow selectable? Am I overlooking a switch or setting that controles this behavior?
This is completely normal and intended. It's noted in the feature list elsewhere that internal mod bus signals are unipolar.

It should have been annotated in the videos that it was changed before final production!! Sorry about that.
stamppotwortel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by stamppotwortel »

Ah, great. Better this way I suppose. Both modulation options easily accessible.
Thanks for the quick reply.
bennytwohats
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bennytwohats »

vilovisp wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:56 pm i have brenso and cs-l at the moment and my brenso is just so good, its my kind of sound and the build is the best i experience in eurorack, sayng that i order mindphaser and is arriving monday .
Only one of the three can remain , i feel will be csl but let see , i was thinking to make a comparison between the 3
Where did you get to with this? I'm weighing up the three at the moment.

I adore the CS-L tones that are coming at this timestamped video:
https://youtu.be/zTFlhqF4PbA?t=943

However I'm not so keen on the CS-L panel/workflow. Jason describes that sound as coming from summing the two sine outputs at the source of the wave folder, so I'm wondering if that's possible on the Brenso or Mindphaser? I had a dig around but wasn't clear to me either way.
vilovisp
Common Wiggler

Post by vilovisp »

bennytwohats wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:30 am
vilovisp wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:56 pm i have brenso and cs-l at the moment and my brenso is just so good, its my kind of sound and the build is the best i experience in eurorack, sayng that i order mindphaser and is arriving monday .
Only one of the three can remain , i feel will be csl but let see , i was thinking to make a comparison between the 3

However I'm not so keen on the CS-L panel/workflow. Jason describes that sound as coming from summing the two sine outputs at the source of the wave folder, so I'm wondering if that's possible on the Brenso or Mindphaser? I had a dig around but wasn't clear to me either way.

Hi !! I sold cs-l ,i love it but the combo brenso tzfm , MP Tzpm is amazing for me , brenso and Mp are my favs vcos of all time one week brenso is my fav , the next MP keepers for sure !!

These last week i cant stop using MP for those gnarly vowely woa woas , so happy i could get it i was very lucky

Sorry for my english
ee_
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ee_ »

Got mine a few days ago. It's my first true higher-end complex oscillator type module, and so far it's great.
bennytwohats
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bennytwohats »

vilovisp wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:44 am
bennytwohats wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:30 am

Hi !! I sold cs-l ,i love it but the combo brenso tzfm , MP Tzpm is amazing for me , brenso and Mp are my favs vcos of all time one week brenso is my fav , the next MP keepers for sure !!

These last week i cant stop using MP for those gnarly vowely woa woas , so happy i could get it i was very lucky

Sorry for my english
Thanks for your reply :tu:

I pulled the trigger on a good deal on a Brenso in my area. So far, so happy
hexinverter
the nettles make me think happy times

Post by hexinverter »

stamppotwortel wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:55 am Ah, great. Better this way I suppose. Both modulation options easily accessible.
Thanks for the quick reply.
Indeed, the choice is somewhat subjective since you can achieve both one way or the other no matter what, and as such why it was deliberated about until the last minute ;)

We've found that in practise it results in a much more playable instrument *without any external patching* to have the modbus be unipolar (TZPM bus is still bipolar of course) internally.

The only caveat is that the AM in particular is true 4q-multiplier/thru-zero so to get that bipolar AM effect you do have to patch a waveform into the modbus input or just directly patch a waveform output to the AM input, separate from the modbus. It's a good tradeoff for more predictable "on the fly" performance response from the unipolar modbus destinations though (lin FM, folds, feedback).

Have fun!
ronnieb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ronnieb »

So I managed to pick up a Mindphaser (on a bit of a whim while I felt sorry for myself post wisdom teeth removal) and I'm really loving it. Modbus implementation is fantastic with individual phase inversion buttons. TZ-PM sounds incredible. It's just a proper workhorse sound source.

Anyone have any fun Mindphaser patches/tips they want to share? This thing is so deep and flexible I feel like I'm barely scratching the surface and usually just end up mindlessly wiggling because it makes it so easy!
_cyberAnalog_
Common Wiggler

Post by _cyberAnalog_ »

ronnieb wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:35 amMindphaser patches/tips they want to share?
Perhaps you find my list of bookmarked videos about the Mindphaser useful.
Without guarantee that all are still available.
I removed the "https://" part to prevent the forum from inlineing them all here.

youtube.com/watch?v=WXAAEEy3E60 - perhaps the most important one
youtube.com/watch?v=cocBIZfhTa0
youtube.com/watch?v=VBM6t_sYg7c
youtube.com/watch?v=8tuN-VNpAVw
youtube.com/watch?v=9q_h0Za7YCU
youtube.com/watch?v=Lp7vyqnyly8
youtube.com/watch?v=ViYZ4FhJYIo
youtube.com/watch?v=PEGuCScjKXM
youtube.com/watch?v=BsD_sTpdrac
youtube.com/watch?v=Zy2C75rxQxI
youtube.com/watch?v=0ykIJ6F5yA8

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”