Hexinverter Mindphaser - Complex Oscillator

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

virtualpt
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Hexinverter Mindphaser - Complex Oscillator

Post by virtualpt »

Cpaf wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:30 pm Sorry if this has been answered but it could do to be reaffirmed if so:
Does mindphaser do "nice" or "sweet", "bubbly" sounds - or would I need to pass it through a LP filter to get such sounds from it?
Yes it can. This could very well become my favourite osc. It reaches from amazing deep organ-shaking bass up to ultra sonic frequencies. It is capable of the most beautiful delicate sine wave sounds & also the most monstrously mutated sounds and noises. The octave switch on the modulator is a great feature, really helpful for sound design. AM, FM & phase mod all sound really good and the feedback on the wavefolder is superb. The Mindphaser really benefits from exploration, spending time with it & trying new things reveals a whole gamut of sounds. It is also a great unexpected/happy accident machine, a small tweak can sometimes take the sound to a totally surprising place. I have made sci-fi Nostromo engine background drone/atmospheres & wild dubstep growls & everything in between. There are still a bunch of ways that I haven't patched it yet. I get lost in it for long periods of time when I start playing with it. Mindphaser into Desmodus Versio is a place to lose whole chunks of time.
For Sale/Trade: Triple Sloths, ONA Oscillator, Milky Way, Black Hole DSP2, Logica XT, Pexp2, Erica Seqs, Flipanda

https://fierceislands.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/fierceislands/
FraBod
Learning to Wiggle

Post by FraBod »

Electro Something wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:50 pm Anybody who pre-ordered with Detroit Modular received theirs yet? Still waiting here.
I'm still waiting for mine.
Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu »

drxcm wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:09 pm I can see why it's difficult when you don't have both in front of you. I'm referring to overall build not just PCB quality.
Noticeable differences:

1) Higher quality pots and attenuators on CS-L - they just feel better (see below for another users comment)
2) Much nicer panel finishing on CS-L - eg Thicker panel, Jack nut quality, switches etc (though I do like the octave switch on Mindphaser)
3) Shrouded header on CS-L vs bare pins for the power cable on Mindphaser
4) A lot of debris on the Mindphaser PCB (flux and other material)

hypnoz wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:44 pm Love my Mindphaser but would really be a lot better with higher quality pots. The ones used on everything except the attenuators have zero rotational resistance. Seems to be a trend recently, very unsatisfying to wiggle.
Fair comments, thanks for giving specifics.

I don't have any problem with the pot feel on mine, but then I have built a lot of DIY modules with the same Alpha pots so maybe I am just familiar with this feel. I actually prefer these to pots that are stiff to turn.

The only hardware choice I don't really like is the octave switch, which is a bit stiff and grabby. For something that gets used so often I would prefer a smoother feel. But that's pretty minor. Like you, I am very happy with mine.
Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu »

tl3ss wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:26 am I’ve also found that setting the mod osc to pulse and then modulating the pwm creates some really cool sounds modulating the carrier while the pulse width expands and contracts
I'll try that! One of the great things about this oscillator is the huge variety of possibilities - it's a good inspiration generator.
skinpop
Common Wiggler

Post by skinpop »

Maybe the pots are conductive plastic pots? Doesn't have that thick resistance to the wiggle but are afaik better in almost every way, like much longer lifespan and better linearity.
blue noise
noisewreck
Veteran Wiggler

Post by noisewreck »

hypnoz wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:44 pm Love my Mindphaser but would really be a lot better with higher quality pots. The ones used on everything except the attenuators have zero rotational resistance. Seems to be a trend recently, very unsatisfying to wiggle.
Interesting. I find mine very smooth. Certainly feel much better than the ones on Furthrrrrr Generator
hypnoz
Common Wiggler

Post by hypnoz »

noisewreck wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:59 pm
Interesting. I find mine very smooth. Certainly feel much better than the ones on Furthrrrrr Generator
Really? Is there any resistance when you turn them? I wish mine had the same pots that Schlappi uses, those feel perfect to me.
Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu »

Interesting discussion here: viewtopic.php?t=110101
d2ba
Common Wiggler

Post by d2ba »

drxcm wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:09 pm
Jumbuktu wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:54 am
drxcm wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:22 am The build on CSL definitely superior. I also have a Frap tools Sapel and the build on that is beautiful, amongst the best.
I am intrigued to know how you make that judgement. I have the Mindphaser, not the other two. On it, and most of my modules, I can't even see most of the components without taking the faceplate off - which I am not going to do just to check the build quality. And the MindPhaser is 90% SMD, aside from the panel hardware and a few trimmer pots. Even if I removed the front panel, I don't know enough about SMD alternatives to be able to judge the relative quality of the components used (whereas I could to a degree with through-hole components). The soldering is done with automated factory processes, and looks pretty much perfect to me. The pots are industry standard Alpha, bolted to the front panel, and the jacks are industry-standard Thonkiconns. The PCB is pretty much standard - I have built a few DIY modules that have higher quality PCBs, but you really only notice that if you are doing the soldering yourself. Maybe it's the PCB front panel? But this is becoming pretty common, and brings the benefits of translucent areas proving users with visual feedback - and I believe Instruo uses these as well - as does MakeNoise.
I can see why it's difficult when you don't have both in front of you. I'm referring to overall build not just PCB quality.
Noticeable differences:

1) Higher quality pots and attenuators on CS-L - they just feel better (see below for another users comment)
2) Much nicer panel finishing on CS-L - eg Thicker panel, Jack nut quality, switches etc (though I do like the octave switch on Mindphaser)

Agree.

Having said that I do really like Mindphaser, it just doesn't feel of the same standard as CS-L.
In summary the product sounds good but somewhat let down by cheaper build compared to similar priced Complex OSC's?
drxcm
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by drxcm »

d2ba wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:18 am
drxcm wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:22 am The build on CSL definitely superior. I also have a Frap tools Sapel and the build on that is beautiful, amongst the best.
I am intrigued to know how you make that judgement. I have the Mindphaser, not the other two. On it, and most of my modules, I can't even see most of the components without taking the faceplate off - which I am not going to do just to check the build quality. And the MindPhaser is 90% SMD, aside from the panel hardware and a few trimmer pots. Even if I removed the front panel, I don't know enough about SMD alternatives to be able to judge the relative quality of the components used (whereas I could to a degree with through-hole components). The soldering is done with automated factory processes, and looks pretty much perfect to me. The pots are industry standard Alpha, bolted to the front panel, and the jacks are industry-standard Thonkiconns. The PCB is pretty much standard - I have built a few DIY modules that have higher quality PCBs, but you really only notice that if you are doing the soldering yourself. Maybe it's the PCB front panel? But this is becoming pretty common, and brings the benefits of translucent areas proving users with visual feedback - and I believe Instruo uses these as well - as does MakeNoise.
I can see why it's difficult when you don't have both in front of you. I'm referring to overall build not just PCB quality.
Noticeable differences:

Agree.

Having said that I do really like Mindphaser, it just doesn't feel of the same standard as CS-L.
In summary the product sounds good but somewhat let down by cheaper build compared to similar priced Complex OSC's?
No I don’t think it’s ‘let down by cheaper build’. It is what it is and build quality is just fine.

But like all modules there is a range. If premium build quality is important to you it’s worth knowing. It doesn’t bother me much to be honest (though who doesn’t love beautiful engineering), but I know you get obsessed by that sort of thing!
virtualpt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by virtualpt »

Personally, I don't have any issues with the build quality. It is a great module. For me, where it shines over CS-L is no button combinations!
For Sale/Trade: Triple Sloths, ONA Oscillator, Milky Way, Black Hole DSP2, Logica XT, Pexp2, Erica Seqs, Flipanda

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos »

I’m probably going to pick up some of those knob topper thingies. It’s pretty hard to turn the top row of pots (Lin and Exp FM) without bumping into the big tuning knobs. Though those knobs do have a decent amount of resistance at least.

I wish that the octave range switch was easier to get to- if you have a cable plugged into PW and one into the mod osc’s v/oct it’s a pretty tight squeeze.
Maybe you’d like to buy some of these nice used modules?

viewtopic.php?p=3730210&hilit=Lotsa#p3730210
morgulbee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by morgulbee »

FraBod wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:17 pm
Electro Something wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:50 pm Anybody who pre-ordered with Detroit Modular received theirs yet? Still waiting here.
I sent them an inquiry this morning asking about status of my order.
hexinverter
the nettles make me think happy times

Post by hexinverter »

The main BI pots used in Mindphaser have best in class durability and lifespan at "normal" (ie: not $800 complex oscillator) eurorack prices. Without naming names, I know of at least one much larger manufacturer with similar aesthetics who uses pots that are a fraction of the durability quality that ours are.

I get it though. Some other modules do "feel" better to me (personally) than our modules. :) It's a tradeoff: knob "feel" for durability.

As a manufacturer, I'd rather the module last longer in your system. So that's why we use 'em.
hexinverter
the nettles make me think happy times

Post by hexinverter »

morgulbee wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:59 am
DM is still waiting on their shipment.
Because I'm still waiting to receive the last shipments from production. Sorry, it's taking forever!
As soon as they're here, Dan will be getting his box o goodies. They're coming, don't worry, hang tight!
Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu »

Zymos wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:47 am I’m probably going to pick up some of those knob topper thingies. It’s pretty hard to turn the top row of pots (Lin and Exp FM) without bumping into the big tuning knobs. Though those knobs do have a decent amount of resistance at least.

I wish that the octave range switch was easier to get to- if you have a cable plugged into PW and one into the mod osc’s v/oct it’s a pretty tight squeeze.
Yes, there is a lot going on! Even though it's already a 30hp module, it really needs to be a bit bigger to allow enough space around the controls. It's probably Ok in a skiff flat on the bench in front of you, but I have it in a vertical case.
tl3ss
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tl3ss »

d2ba wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:18 am
Noticeable differences:

Agree.

No, not a good summary at all.
morgulbee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by morgulbee »

hexinverter wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:10 am
Because I'm still waiting to receive the last shipments from production. Sorry, it's taking forever!
As soon as they're here, Dan will be getting his box o goodies. They're coming, don't worry, hang tight!
Yep, this was my response from Detroit Modular. There is still hope!
We are still waiting on our shipment of Mindphasers actually. They have been delayed from Hexinverter but are expected either later this week or early next. We still aren’t sure how many of our order we will be receiving (Hexinverter said that every dealer wasn't going to be getting their full order), but we weren’t totally sold out before either – hopeful that we will have enough for everyone who ordered but we will know shortly. Should know more very soon.
Back Down the Path
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Back Down the Path »

Loads of complaining on this thread about a really great product!
Loads of stuff for sale here (PA/US).
evileye0702
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by evileye0702 »

Back Down the Path wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:05 am Loads of complaining on this thread about a really great product!
There are bound to be some complainers and they can appear quite loud. But, as far as I can tell, first-hand impressions of this module, including my own, are very positive.

The range of sounds one can get from this module are truly outstanding. For a moment I wondered if having multiple complex oscillators would be excessive (I also own a DPO) but now I'm thinking the more the merrier.
FraBod
Learning to Wiggle

Post by FraBod »

morgulbee wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:58 am
hexinverter wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:10 am
Yep, this was my response from Detroit Modular. There is still hope!
We are still waiting on our shipment of Mindphasers actually. They have been delayed from Hexinverter but are expected either later this week or early next. We still aren’t sure how many of our order we will be receiving (Hexinverter said that every dealer wasn't going to be getting their full order), but we weren’t totally sold out before either – hopeful that we will have enough for everyone who ordered but we will know shortly. Should know more very soon.
Good to know. Thanks. I didn't get a reply when I messaged them last week.
virtualpt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by virtualpt »

evileye0702 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:10 am
Back Down the Path wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:05 am Loads of complaining on this thread about a really great product!
There are bound to be some complainers and they can appear quite loud. But, as far as I can tell, first-hand impressions of this module, including my own, are very positive.

The range of sounds one can get from this module are truly outstanding.
This :tu:

vilovisp
Common Wiggler

Post by vilovisp »

to be sincere it disgust me to read those comments , i have mine and the build is perfect , i had dpo , furthrr, csl and to be sincere these one is my favorite sound wise , look wise and feature wise.
It sounds so so amazing , dont be put off by these , for me ,it have won a stable place in my rack for ever
transferpoint
butt-hole

Post by transferpoint »

vilovisp wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:48 pm to be sincere it disgust me to read those comments , i have mine and the build is perfect , i had dpo , furthrr, csl and to be sincere these one is my favorite sound wise , look wise and feature wise.
It sounds so so amazing , dont be put off by these , for me ,it have won a stable place in my rack for ever
I agree. Build quality is solid. And I find the ergonomics to be very thoughtfully planned out.
Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos »

I’m fine with the build quality, but stand by my opinions of the ergonomics. No one needs to get disgusted by some minor criticisms, and personally I’d rather read about that then someone saying anything is 100% perfect and the best thing ever.

But it is what it is, and it’s a great module overall....
Maybe you’d like to buy some of these nice used modules?

viewtopic.php?p=3730210&hilit=Lotsa#p3730210

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”