Hexinverter Mindphaser - Complex Oscillator

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford

Deej
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Hexinverter Mindphaser - Complex Oscillator

Post by Deej »

vilovisp wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:36 am mine is shipping soon from signal sounds , they posted picture , the day have finally arrived , so happy
That picture cost me dearly too! Got one on the way to Oz. Should be here by Friday!
Back Down the Path
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Back Down the Path »

So just got done messing around with a first patch without watching the video manual again, I just wanted to say, wow. What a beast. Highly musical, but capable of some brutal hard hitting stuff. I love it. Now to learn how to get things from it with intention, rather than randomness!
Last edited by Back Down the Path on Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loads of stuff for sale here (PA/US).
Electro Something
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Electro Something »

Detroit Modular went from "Pre-Order for June delivery" to "Out of Stock". Haven't received a notification that my pre-order has shipped from them yet. :woah:
liamshy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by liamshy »

Same re:Detroit Modular. Anxiety levels are high in hopes pre-order will get filled 🥵
studioutopia
Ultra Wiggler

Post by studioutopia »

noisewreck wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:58 pm
bobbylandry wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:25 am The only bummer would be if the Mindphaser doesn’t come, and then the Instruo Cs-L is also unavailable, cause I’d have to settle for a Furthrrrr Generator and that would be awful. /s
IKR? Hahaha!
Actually the only other complex oscillator I am interested in is the FG. It sounds more fuzzy and wooly, in a nice sort of way and I think would complement Mindphaser really well. The only thing I don’t like on the FG is the feel of the knobs.
How are you guys skipping over Frap Tools Brenso!?
dreamrobe
Common Wiggler

Post by dreamrobe »

studioutopia wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:03 pm
aesthetics ?
HenryBurlingame
Veteran Wiggler

Post by HenryBurlingame »

Nice, these are finally shipping! The wait is over for that one guy who was wondering at the beginning of 2018 if he should get a DPO or wait until the Mindphaser came out ;-)... maybe...
noisewreck
Veteran Wiggler

Post by noisewreck »

studioutopia wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:03 pm
noisewreck wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:58 pm
bobbylandry wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:25 am The only bummer would be if the Mindphaser doesn’t come, and then the Instruo Cs-L is also unavailable, cause I’d have to settle for a Furthrrrr Generator and that would be awful. /s
IKR? Hahaha!
Actually the only other complex oscillator I am interested in is the FG. It sounds more fuzzy and wooly, in a nice sort of way and I think would complement Mindphaser really well. The only thing I don’t like on the FG is the feel of the knobs.
Because the sound doesn’t do it for me? :despair:
vilovisp
Common Wiggler

Post by vilovisp »

i have brenso and cs-l at the moment and my brenso is just so good, its my kind of sound and the build is the best i experience in eurorack, sayng that i order mindphaser and is arriving monday .
Only one of the three can remain , i feel will be csl but let see , i was thinking to make a comparison between the 3
this0nance
Learning to Wiggle

Post by this0nance »

vilovisp wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:56 pm i have brenso and cs-l at the moment and my brenso is just so good, its my kind of sound and the build is the best i experience in eurorack, sayng that i order mindphaser and is arriving monday .
Only one of the three can remain , i feel will be csl but let see , i was thinking to make a comparison between the 3
Exciting! Please do some kind of (sound) comparison between the three, that would be super interesting :)
drxcm
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by drxcm »

vilovisp wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:56 pm i have brenso and cs-l at the moment and my brenso is just so good, its my kind of sound and the build is the best i experience in eurorack, sayng that i order mindphaser and is arriving monday .
Can’t wait to see that!

I have CSL and Mindphaser now. The build on CSL definitely superior. I also have a Frap tools Sapel and the build on that is beautiful, amongst the best.

I’ve been tempted by Brenso but so far haven’t heard a demo that “does it for me”.

Haven’t had a chance to compare Mindphaser with CSL yet and I am really excited to check the Mindphaser out. It just arrived today and I’ve only just racked it.

I’m VERY keen to hear real world user experiences from those that have all 3 of these beastly oscs!
djd_oz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by djd_oz »

Question: Is the FM on the mindphaser thru zero or regular FM?
drxcm
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by drxcm »

djd_oz wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:21 pm Question: Is the FM on the mindphaser thru zero or regular FM?
Regular FM.
It does thru zero phase modulation though. Sounds great
vilovisp
Common Wiggler

Post by vilovisp »

just got it in the mail some hs ago !!

WOW WOW WOW

Really nice sounding !! i had csl and brenso , csl left for mindphaser no regrets , tzpm sounds amazing .

There is some things i need to understand still but for now i love it , super different to brenso , much more wild actually :sb:
d2ba
Common Wiggler

Post by d2ba »

drxcm wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:22 am
Can’t wait to see that!

I have CSL and Mindphaser now. The build on CSL definitely superior. I also have a Frap tools Sapel and the build on that is beautiful, amongst the best.

I’ve been tempted by Brenso but so far haven’t heard a demo that “does it for me”.

Haven’t had a chance to compare Mindphaser with CSL yet and I am really excited to check the Mindphaser out. It just arrived today and I’ve only just racked it.

I’m VERY keen to hear real world user experiences from those that have all 3 of these beastly oscs!
Id say Mindphaser should hopefully retire your CSL unless you want two complex ? How much better build is CSL--more detail please? --both use plastic panels
d2ba
Common Wiggler

Post by d2ba »

HenryBurlingame wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:14 am Nice, these are finally shipping! The wait is over for that one guy who was wondering at the beginning of 2018 if he should get a DPO or wait until the Mindphaser came out ;-)... maybe...
I have the DPO as par of a Shared System ---Here is the rig with the Mindphaser
Attachments
modulargrid_1615706.jpg
modulargrid_1617361.jpg
Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu »

drxcm wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:22 am The build on CSL definitely superior. I also have a Frap tools Sapel and the build on that is beautiful, amongst the best.
I am intrigued to know how you make that judgement. I have the Mindphaser, not the other two. On it, and most of my modules, I can't even see most of the components without taking the faceplate off - which I am not going to do just to check the build quality. And the MindPhaser is 90% SMD, aside from the panel hardware and a few trimmer pots. Even if I removed the front panel, I don't know enough about SMD alternatives to be able to judge the relative quality of the components used (whereas I could to a degree with through-hole components). The soldering is done with automated factory processes, and looks pretty much perfect to me. The pots are industry standard Alpha, bolted to the front panel, and the jacks are industry-standard Thonkiconns. The PCB is pretty much standard - I have built a few DIY modules that have higher quality PCBs, but you really only notice that if you are doing the soldering yourself. Maybe it's the PCB front panel? But this is becoming pretty common, and brings the benefits of translucent areas proving users with visual feedback - and I believe Instruo uses these as well - as does MakeNoise.
Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu »

Had my Mindphaser for a few hours only. One of the things I really like about it is that the Modulation VCO has PWM. This means you can treat the MP as two separate VCOs and still have some movement in each of them. Short demo using PWM on the Modulator and the waveshapers on the Carrier. No cross modulation, no filters, no VCAs, just a sequencer, MP and Batumi for LFO modulation.

tl3ss
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tl3ss »

Jumbuktu wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:27 am Had my Mindphaser for a few hours only. One of the things I really like about it is that the Modulation VCO has PWM. This means you can treat the MP as two separate VCOs and still have some movement in each of them. Short demo using PWM on the Modulator and the waveshapers on the Carrier. No cross modulation, no filters, no VCAs, just a sequencer, MP and Batumi for LFO modulation.

I’ve also found that setting the mod osc to pulse and then modulating the pwm creates some really cool sounds modulating the carrier while the pulse width expands and contracts
Cpaf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Cpaf »

Sorry if this has been answered but it could do to be reaffirmed if so:
Does mindphaser do "nice" or "sweet", "bubbly" sounds - or would I need to pass it through a LP filter to get such sounds from it?
tl3ss
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tl3ss »

I don’t see why not. You have control over what harmonics you want to show up in the final waveform, from a sine wave up through straight noise.
hypnoz
Common Wiggler

Post by hypnoz »

Love my Mindphaser but would really be a lot better with higher quality pots. The ones used on everything except the attenuators have zero rotational resistance. Seems to be a trend recently, very unsatisfying to wiggle.
Electro Something
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Electro Something »

Anybody who pre-ordered with Detroit Modular received theirs yet? Still waiting here.
cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland »

hypnoz wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:44 pm Love my Mindphaser but would really be a lot better with higher quality pots. The ones used on everything except the attenuators have zero rotational resistance. Seems to be a trend recently, very unsatisfying to wiggle.
Interesting. I’d be curious to see Stacey chime in on this. Any read on the manufacturer of them?
drxcm
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by drxcm »

Jumbuktu wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:54 am
drxcm wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:22 am The build on CSL definitely superior. I also have a Frap tools Sapel and the build on that is beautiful, amongst the best.
I am intrigued to know how you make that judgement. I have the Mindphaser, not the other two. On it, and most of my modules, I can't even see most of the components without taking the faceplate off - which I am not going to do just to check the build quality. And the MindPhaser is 90% SMD, aside from the panel hardware and a few trimmer pots. Even if I removed the front panel, I don't know enough about SMD alternatives to be able to judge the relative quality of the components used (whereas I could to a degree with through-hole components). The soldering is done with automated factory processes, and looks pretty much perfect to me. The pots are industry standard Alpha, bolted to the front panel, and the jacks are industry-standard Thonkiconns. The PCB is pretty much standard - I have built a few DIY modules that have higher quality PCBs, but you really only notice that if you are doing the soldering yourself. Maybe it's the PCB front panel? But this is becoming pretty common, and brings the benefits of translucent areas proving users with visual feedback - and I believe Instruo uses these as well - as does MakeNoise.
I can see why it's difficult when you don't have both in front of you. I'm referring to overall build not just PCB quality.
Noticeable differences:

1) Higher quality pots and attenuators on CS-L - they just feel better (see below for another users comment)
2) Much nicer panel finishing on CS-L - eg Thicker panel, Jack nut quality, switches etc (though I do like the octave switch on Mindphaser)
3) Shrouded header on CS-L vs bare pins for the power cable on Mindphaser
4) A lot of debris on the Mindphaser PCB (flux and other material)

hypnoz wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:44 pm Love my Mindphaser but would really be a lot better with higher quality pots. The ones used on everything except the attenuators have zero rotational resistance. Seems to be a trend recently, very unsatisfying to wiggle.
Agree.

Having said that I do really like Mindphaser, it just doesn't feel of the same standard as CS-L.
Attachments
IMG_0920.jpeg
IMG_0919.jpeg
IMG_0922.jpeg
IMG_0921.jpeg
IMG_0923.jpeg
Last edited by drxcm on Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”