Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

BlackDoors
Common Wiggler

Re: Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or

Post by BlackDoors »

richie wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:16 am
BlackDoors wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:44 pm
It plays real nice with the Cirklon drum trigger dmux box as well. Amazing combo for super tight percussion…low latency and brilliant sound quality. It’s my absolute first choice for single shot drum sounds and does a lot more besides,
Can the cirklon also change the accent voltage, kind of making it a Eurorack breakout extension?
Yep, the accent can be used for sample layer switching or a range of other things. Not sure on the duration of the accent signal but it works great for one shot samples (e.g. selecting open/closed hat on the same channel).
eircom
Common Wiggler

Post by eircom »

Hi everyone,

has anyone ever encountered a problem with CV inputs of the assimil8or stuck at some offset voltage no matter if they are patched or not, and not reacting to any voltage patched to them? Attaching their readouts from the calibration screen.
Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 19.50.55.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 19.50.55.png (331.93 KiB) Viewed 927 times
Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 19.51.02.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 19.51.02.png (415.23 KiB) Viewed 927 times

Only two of 24 CV inputs are problematic (1B and 7A), but the issue is persistent, I tried different cases, PSUs etc.
Calibration won't start because of these inputs, too.

I contacted Rossum Electro Music's support, they created a ticket but so far only requested my mailing address (ticket #624 if anyone from Rossum is reading this).
Mailing could get tricky here cause I'm in Russia, between covid, customs, and stuff.

Wondering what would be the probable cause for that sort of issue. Many thanks!
Also, I'd be grateful if I could get an email address of someone from Rossum to talk to.

ps: "incomplete" images are the artifact of camera speed / screen refresh out of sync, there's no problems with the screen.
Powerdwarf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Powerdwarf »

i just thought isnt that a bummer that there is no decay in env settings? i dont get any effect from release :(
Ushijima
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Ushijima »

Powerdwarf wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:15 am i just thought isn't that a bummer that there is no decay in env settings? i dont get any effect from release :(
Are you in gated mode? doesn't work if you use one shot mode
Powerdwarf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Powerdwarf »

Ushijima wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:02 am
Powerdwarf wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:15 am i just thought isn't that a bummer that there is no decay in env settings? i dont get any effect from release :(
Are you in gated mode? doesn't work if you use one shot mode
oh ok will try that, sorry my fault
Faru
Common Wiggler

Post by Faru »

Hello!

I thought I ask my question here instead of a new thread. I just started building my first modular and my first module is the Assimil8or. I watched so many videos and this seems to be perfect for my needs.

So what I am wondering is how I would control the envelopes of the tracks. I see that there is a attack and decay per sample settings, but not sure what i would use to trigger it? also it would always use up the two CV inputs per channel.

I am looking at the quad adsr from doepfer. Would I need 4 VCAs as well to use it properly or can it be plugged right into the sampler? I saw there is no cv mapping for the sample volume (only the mixer volume).
I somehow always struggle how to use an ADSR properly. thanks in advance!
Ushijima
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Ushijima »

Faru wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:35 am Hello!

I thought I ask my question here instead of a new thread. I just started building my first modular and my first module is the Assimil8or. I watched so many videos and this seems to be perfect for my needs.

So what I am wondering is how I would control the envelopes of the tracks. I see that there is a attack and decay per sample settings, but not sure what i would use to trigger it? also it would always use up the two CV inputs per channel.

I am looking at the quad adsr from doepfer. Would I need 4 VCAs as well to use it properly or can it be plugged right into the sampler? I saw there is no cv mapping for the sample volume (only the mixer volume).
It's quite simple on ce you have it on your hands, load a sample on a channel, set your trigger in the trig input, make sure you are in gate mode then route your CV to the CV input controlling your enveloppes settings, each modulations you plug can be routed to all parameters available on each channels.
Yes, there is only a mix cv input for each channels so in your case just output 4 individual channels from a8 to your VCAs.
Faru
Common Wiggler

Post by Faru »

Ushijima wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:16 am

It's quite simple on ce you have it on your hands, load a sample on a channel, set your trigger in the trig input, make sure you are in gate mode then route your CV to the CV input controlling your enveloppes settings, each modulations you plug can be routed to all parameters available on each channels.
Yes, there is only a mix cv input for each channels so in your case just output 4 individual channels from a8 to your VCAs.
thank you! I will try it out tomorrow.
williamjturkel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by williamjturkel »

In the Level menu of a sample, you can set Linear AM to be "Ext Env", and send your envelope into one of the CV ins. Then you don't need an external VCA at all.
virtualpt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by virtualpt »

Ushijima wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:16 am

I would first ask yourself if/why you need ADSR at all or will simple attack/hold/release be sufficient. If it is then you don't need an external envelope generator, you can just use the Assimil8or's built in envelopes. What are you using for your clock/trigger/gate?
Faru
Common Wiggler

Post by Faru »

yes, I was wondering that as well and just had a general lack of understanding! I am realising now, that with having the f8r module, with 8 cv faders, I could map those to the envelope of the A8 and have basically a env module.

But from what I understand is, that envelopes usually trigger a VCA and thats why I am a bit confused. Does the envelope in the Assimil8or get triggered when the gate gets hit? is the envelope already hardwired to the VCA inside the Assimil8or?

Maybe using a single cycles waveform as an example. I am trying to understand what the manual says about the trigger modes. one shot mode wouldn't make sense, because the single cycle waveform is so short. Gated would mean, that pamela needs to send a gate as long as the attack value to make it work? for example when I want to create a long pad like sound.

I am currently just using pamelas workout, which seems enough to play around and learn the modules i have, before moving to more.
virtualpt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by virtualpt »

Faru wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:25 am yes, I was wondering that as well and just had a general lack of understanding! I am realising now, that with having the f8r module, with 8 cv faders, I could map those to the envelope of the A8 and have basically a env module.

But from what I understand is, that envelopes usually trigger a VCA and thats why I am a bit confused. Does the envelope in the Assimil8or get triggered when the gate gets hit? is the envelope already hardwired to the VCA inside the Assimil8or?

Maybe using a single cycles waveform as an example. I am trying to understand what the manual says about the trigger modes. one shot mode wouldn't make sense, because the single cycle waveform is so short. Gated would mean, that pamela needs to send a gate as long as the attack value to make it work? for example when I want to create a long pad like sound.

I am currently just using pamelas workout, which seems enough to play around and learn the modules i have, before moving to more.
Pams is fine to trigger the envelopes with (but you will probably want a proper sequencer at some point). For all intents & purposes, you can consider that each channel of the Assimil8or has its own envelope/VCA combo. In gated mode you will need to send a gate as long as the note that you want. 1 shot mode will play the whole sample with its associated envelope.

If you haven't seen them, Johno's amazing YouTube tutorials are a must see. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 7OkZvOZcaw
tl3ss
Common Wiggler

Post by tl3ss »

virtualpt wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:13 pm
Faru wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:25 am yes, I was wondering that as well and just had a general lack of understanding! I am realising now, that with having the f8r module, with 8 cv faders, I could map those to the envelope of the A8 and have basically a env module.

Pams is fine to trigger the envelopes with (but you will probably want a proper sequencer at some point). For all intents & purposes, you can consider that each channel of the Assimil8or has its own envelope/VCA combo. In gated mode you will need to send a gate as long as the note that you want. 1 shot mode will play the whole sample with its associated envelope.

If you haven't seen them, Johno's amazing YouTube tutorials are a must see. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 7OkZvOZcaw
Could not agree more about those videos. So helpful and really well done. I felt like I knew how to do everything after I finished watching.
OHEXOH
Veteran Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH »

There is also AUTO mode (within the Envelope menu) which will automatically play any designated channels on patch load without the need to trigger the sample / single-cycle waveform. This is useful if you've set Linear AM to be "Ext Env" and you're then fully controlling the amplitude by an external function generator and saves you having to mult the trigger.
Powerdwarf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Powerdwarf »

OHEXOH wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:35 pm There is also AUTO mode (within the Envelope menu) which will automatically play any designated channels on patch load without the need to trigger the sample / single-cycle waveform. This is useful if you've set Linear AM to be "Ext Env" and you're then fully controlling the amplitude by an external function generator and saves you having to mult the trigger.
:roll:
DreamFangs
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DreamFangs »

tl3ss wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:30 pm Could not agree more about those videos. So helpful and really well done. I felt like I knew how to do everything after I finished watching.
Hi. Assimil8or user here. Just jumping in to say ^^^^^^ YES! These are literally my favorite tutorial videos of any in modular, eurorack, music gear in general. I wish he would do a series for every complex piece of gear I own. I actually enjoyed watching them and learned so much. If you haven't, take the time to check them out.
We were making sand castles. Now we swim in the sea that swept them away.
Rem Koolhaas
Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr »

Has anyone by chance heard when the next batch is expected to hit the stores? Rumors are welcome.
Paul Di'Anno > Bruce Dickinson.
DreamFangs
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DreamFangs »

After some quick googlin' I can maybe give you enough info that we can start our own rumor 8-)

If you check their site, which I recommend btw, lots of nifty nerd stuff about their products, we see this
http://www.rossum-electro.com/support/faq/

There are four questions. The first is about the SP-1200, their big deal re-release for the rest of the world. Considering the re-release just happened... last I checked there were units almost ready to be shipped out this last November, I would guess that they wrote this FAQ somewhere between six to nine months ago. Give or take.

Second question is about Evolution filter (excellent VCF btw but a little big) and its availability. Their answer is that its available "now." Which jibes with my guess about when they wrote this. I think they'd done another batch of some of the products somewhere around a year ago.

Then theres a third about Control Forge, Morpheus and Satellite...

and the Fourth question is "What's next?' Answer: "Assimil8or! Scheduled for release this winter (probably around NAMM time). More detail as release approaches."

Seeing as NAMM was rescheduled to June of this year, that means they wrote it before then but are probably still planning on sticking to that release schedule as much as possible. But considering all the delays and shortages, I would expect that they will try to err more towards releasing just before NAMM... closer to June.

Or you could just email them and ask. I've already emailed two manufacturers today, non-Rossum related, so I'm at my limit.

I searched for Assimil8or pre-orders but didn't come up with anything and it looks to be sold out pretty much everywhere. Why did I do all that? I already have one! lol, alright, go start a rumor... They're NEVER being manufactured again! Thats it. Done. ;)
We were making sand castles. Now we swim in the sea that swept them away.
Rem Koolhaas
Faru
Common Wiggler

Post by Faru »

thanks! yeah I watched those and they actually helped me make the buying decision! I will rewatch, maybe I missed the part about the envelopes, but I thought he didnt cover this.
thanks all for the great information! really appreciate it.
Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dogma »

I have no idea when they’ll be able to make more as the company that they get the adda converters burnt down late 2020 so whatever is already in the dealer systems is probably gonna be it for quite a while, I’d love to know what’s happening as if mine needs anything rewpqired this worries me greatly…Rossum are far from the only ones affected obviously- I use Metric halo converters who also used AKM converters and they’ve just redone all their systems to run on bur brown - crazy times

http://www.prosoundnetwork.com/business ... o-industry
look up!
Powerdwarf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Powerdwarf »

im sure he will source those chips from other planets no problems with that
Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dogma »

Powerdwarf wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:41 am im sure he will source those chips from other planets no problems with that
Well I sure hope they found a decent supply cos I still think akm aren’t making anything atm due to the general state of the world supply chains - fingers crossed 🤞
look up!
Dark Barn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Dark Barn »

I got a new Assimil8or, recently, post AKM fire. No idea what converters are inside though, or if Rossum is even out of the AKM converters.

I preordered from DetMod June of ‘20 and got my module in September. It may have been a small run by Rossum just enough to cover dealer back orders? If you are looking to get one the best thing to do would be get in touch with your dealer of choice and ask them!
I’ve been searchin’ for the dolphins in the sea

https://weakinreview.org
virtualpt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by virtualpt »

Faru wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:58 am

thanks! yeah I watched those and they actually helped me make the buying decision! I will rewatch, maybe I missed the part about the envelopes, but I thought he didnt cover this.
thanks all for the great information! really appreciate it.
This video has some great examples of using Assimil8or's envelopes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy2X8L1uspI
ch3oh
Common Wiggler

Post by ch3oh »

I am still curious why the built-in envelope does not work in one-shot mode? I use A8 for drums primarily and wanted to have handy control over their decay. I was able to work around this by setting it to gated mode and configuring my sequencer to send short triggers, but IMO things would have been much simpler if it just fired an envelope regardless of the play mode.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”