Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

OHEXOH
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or

Post by OHEXOH »

stylesforfree wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:33 am Has anyone thought about pairing Assimil8or with a boss bow tie? Or has anyone tried it? Im wondering how easy it is to get the two to work together in creating some head nod 4/4 skull snapping drum beats and what not. Watching a video on boss bow tie it seems like it would be an intuitive pairing.

I dont know how much control you have over the outputs to create a regular consistent beat with it.

Also looking at boss bow two, both these modules seem like a no brainer on paper. But im wondering if anyone has actually used them together.
As someone who has owned both, the Boss Bow Two is a much better module with accurate results. I found the Boss Bow Tie to be a little unpredictable and inconsistent. Another switch worth looking at is the Vice Verga - it also has 8 outputs but can be sub-divided into groups of 4 & 2.

The comment above however is true, you could split a single channel into multiple zones and then sequentially move through them or CV modulate through them.
stylesforfree
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stylesforfree »

OHEXOH wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:40 pm
stylesforfree wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:33 am Has anyone thought about pairing Assimil8or with a boss bow tie? Or has anyone tried it? Im wondering how easy it is to get the two to work together in creating some head nod 4/4 skull snapping drum beats and what not. Watching a video on boss bow tie it seems like it would be an intuitive pairing.

I dont know how much control you have over the outputs to create a regular consistent beat with it.

Also looking at boss bow two, both these modules seem like a no brainer on paper. But im wondering if anyone has actually used them together.
As someone who has owned both, the Boss Bow Two is a much better module with accurate results. I found the Boss Bow Tie to be a little unpredictable and inconsistent. Another switch worth looking at is the Vice Verga - it also has 8 outputs but can be sub-divided into groups of 4 & 2.

The comment above however is true, you could split a single channel into multiple zones and then sequentially move through them or CV modulate through them.
Awesome, im looking at the vice verga too. Do you still use the boss bow two?
OHEXOH
Veteran Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH »

stylesforfree wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:41 pm Awesome, im looking at the vice verga too. Do you still use the boss bow two?
I don’t due to lack of space… though I still have it, I find it easier to get my head round than the vice verga… but am trying to switch over (pun not intended - ha)
stylesforfree
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stylesforfree »

OHEXOH wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:44 pm
stylesforfree wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:41 pm Awesome, im looking at the vice verga too. Do you still use the boss bow two?
I don’t due to lack of space… though I still have it, I find it easier to get my head round than the vice verga… but am trying to switch over (pun not intended - ha)
Cool, thanks for your input, I just ordered a vice verga.
HIMA
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by HIMA »

Is it just me of does this thing have a tendency to crash on a fairly regular basis?

I'm running the most recent firmware and experience it freezing up at least once a day.
The Book of Bad Ideas - A compendium of knowledge from Muffs. Download it here: http://bit.ly/1oz2zaI
wont
Learning to Wiggle

Post by wont »

HIMA wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:58 am Is it just me of does this thing have a tendency to crash on a fairly regular basis?

I'm running the most recent firmware and experience it freezing up at least once a day.
Sorry to say, but that doesn’t sound like all is ok. Have only had mine for two or three months, but have seen no crashing or freezing in that time.
Last edited by wont on Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
metamorphmuses
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses »

HIMA wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:58 am Is it just me of does this thing have a tendency to crash on a fairly regular basis?

Mine has never crashed on me to date. I don't use it all the time, but I have used it for hours at a time in each instance that I have patched it.
Powerdwarf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Powerdwarf »

never.
boom blip
Wiggling with Experience

Post by boom blip »

I had a morpheus filter that would crash regularly and it was due to me maxxing out my power on my case, new case and it's never happened again, not sure if that is your issue but it def was mine.
virtualpt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by virtualpt »

Mine has never crashed.
robotfunk
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotfunk »

Never crashed here.
Mtdining
Common Wiggler

Post by Mtdining »

I have Assimil8or, Morpheus, Mob of Emus, Control Forge, Satellite, Linnaeus, Evolution. I've never had any crashing with any Rossum module. I did mess up my linear power supply by attaching many of these and power hungry modules from Instruo and others without paying attention to requirements. So it failed while Assimil8or was attached (and Morpheus, Control Forge). I transferred to an older case and now run all Trogotronic power, which has abundant current, and is clean enough for me. Still, I've had no issues with Rossum modules besides the brain strain of learning.
sytnax
Common Wiggler

Post by sytnax »

Hello all, How do you turn a stereo sample into mono on the Assimil8or? I have removed the right channel after importing a stereo sample, but the master channel continues to be one sided audibly. If I set the next channel to link/cycle, the master channel also behaves differently on occasion.
nicholasponcedeleon
Common Wiggler

Post by nicholasponcedeleon »

sytnax wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:22 am Hello all, How do you turn a stereo sample into mono on the Assimil8or?
You must select the 2nd channel (right side) and turn the data 2 knob fully counter clockwise which will cause that channel to be empty. Then navigate to the 2nd channel's channel mode (MD) and turn the data 2 knob fully counter clockwise which will select Mstr. Then navigate to the 1st channel's (left side) channel mode (MD) and turn the data 2 knob clockwise just a little bit and then fully counterclockwise. This resets the 1st channel's stereo position.
Last edited by nicholasponcedeleon on Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richie
Common Wiggler

Post by richie »

BlackDoors wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:44 pm
It plays real nice with the Cirklon drum trigger dmux box as well. Amazing combo for super tight percussion…low latency and brilliant sound quality. It’s my absolute first choice for single shot drum sounds and does a lot more besides,
Can the cirklon also change the accent voltage, kind of making it a Eurorack breakout extension?
hlmm
Common Wiggler

Post by hlmm »

Are you sure you are not filling up all the RAM? You can check the status under UTILITY.

You can also check if your PSU levels are ok using the procedure shared previously in this thread by Marco:
Here's some info from Dave about how Assimil8or deals with power issues:
The Assimil8or, like all CPU based modules, would potentially crash if the power supply to the CPU spiked. To minimize this possibility, Assimil8or has a "power good monitor" that monitors the incoming +12V power. Assimil8or has internal capacitors that can power the module for about 10 msec. Every 1 msec, it checks its power monitor, and if power has been low for 3 checks in a row, Assimil8or shuts down the CPU in a safe and orderly fashion. This includes turning off the OLED, so when this happens, the OLED will go blank. Since the reports have been that the OLED is "frozen" rather than blank, it does not appear that the power monitor is involved.

Assimil8or also has a diagnostic boot mode that shows the results of the power good monitor. If you power-up Assimil8or while pressing all three buttons: ENVELOPE, PLAY MODE, and LOOP MODE, the display will remain blank, the Channel 8 LED will be off, and Channel LEDs 1-4 will all light up. The LEDs for Channels 5-7 will tell you the status of your +12V power supply:

If LEDs 5, 6, and 7 are all lit, your power is bad. The supply never exceeded +10.8V.
If LEDs 5 and 6 are lit, and LED 7 is off, your power is good.
If LEDs 6 and 7 are off, your power is sometimes good and sometimes bad. The current state of the power is indicated by LED 5. If it is brightly lit, then your power has or is going bad only for a very short periods of time. If it is dim or off, your power went good, and is now mostly or completely bad (below 10.8V).

You can leave the Assimil8or in this state for as long as you want, and if both LEDs 6 and 7 eventually go off, you power has gone bad at some point.

We have previously seen instances where specific modules regularly put current spikes on the +12V power supply, and depending on the supply and the cabling, this can make the power go bad intermittently. We have tested Assimil8or in the lab to be sure it can withstand the conditions we have heard exist, but lab tests never cover every real world case. We are happy to work with customers to get to the bottom of any problems and remedy them, and what we learn will improve future products.
Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis »

richie wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:16 am
BlackDoors wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:44 pm
It plays real nice with the Cirklon drum trigger dmux box as well. Amazing combo for super tight percussion…low latency and brilliant sound quality. It’s my absolute first choice for single shot drum sounds and does a lot more besides,
Can the cirklon also change the accent voltage, kind of making it a Eurorack breakout extension?
I use mine with the DMUX as well and it's great. The DMUX expander (a euro or desktop module) has 16 output pairs that send a gate and a velocity CV. The other benefit of the DMUX is that it is not serial like MIDI so there's no flamming or whatever.
Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dogma »

I’m pretty sure that the ass uses akm converters and their factory burnt down so maybe that’s it? I can’t see how they can keep making them without a change to the converters but as you would all be aware it’s never as easy as that
look up!
richie
Common Wiggler

Post by richie »

Dogma wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:30 am I’m pretty sure that the ass uses akm converters and their factory burnt down so maybe that’s it? I can’t see how they can keep making them without a change to the converters but as you would all be aware it’s never as easy as that
they are back in stock at schneidersladen must be a new batch?
https://schneidersladen.de/en/rossum-el ... assimil8or
stylesforfree
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stylesforfree »

Reporting back, the Vice Virga does a lovely job paired with assimil8or! All kinds of sound mangling, loop triggering crazy mayhem has been endured!
Powerdwarf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Powerdwarf »

stylesforfree wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:19 pm Reporting back, the Vice Virga does a lovely job paired with assimil8or! All kinds of sound mangling, loop triggering crazy mayhem has been endured!
would be nice if you report how this differs fro
using zone feature cuz i dont get why you need sequential switch when it is already implemented init
OHEXOH
Veteran Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH »

stylesforfree wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:19 pm Reporting back, the Vice Virga does a lovely job paired with assimil8or! All kinds of sound mangling, loop triggering crazy mayhem has been endured!
:sb:
OHEXOH
Veteran Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH »

Powerdwarf wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:27 pm
using zone feature cuz i dont get why you need sequential switch when it is already implemented init
You can use both at the same time for maximum fun: zone switching (via A8) and channel / module switching
stylesforfree
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stylesforfree »

OHEXOH wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:55 pm
:sb:
Thanks to you for putting me on to the module! :guinness:
stylesforfree
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stylesforfree »

Powerdwarf wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:27 pm
It's more immediate in some instances, also you can route 4 external LFO's/envelopes and use the 8 outputs to double the amount of signals, the switch has multiple modes and can be changed on the fly for instantly gratifying results.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”