Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

cafe-de-la-jungle
Common Wiggler

Re: Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or

Post by cafe-de-la-jungle »

nicholasponcedeleon wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:32 am
cafe-de-la-jungle wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:18 pm I’m slowly giving up to the idea that we will see ever and update. I was hoping we would get extra cv control for the level of the sample which will leave the Pan/Mix to fader operation. Since I’m using all inputs for modulation I come up with an idea to buy fader with attenuator and put that velocity control signal thru them before going into A8 to have that fake-fader operation. Any one tried this? Any potential drawbacks with idea?
Hmm, are you aware that there are already 3 destinations for one channel's level control? Also, if you are already using all mod inputs then what are you hoping the update will address?
Who said I’m using all mod inputs? It’s fairly simple tbh. I want to use faders modulating the mix section of the track (fader operation) and velocity on them as well.
wont
Learning to Wiggle

Post by wont »

Powerdwarf wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:16 am anyone can explain me scrubbing technique? i have read the manual but how its introduced that shit just wont work or im dumb. i followed the steps but smth is not clear in it.
I found the instruction to "create a 4 sample loop in Start/Length mode at the approximate center of the sound" a little confusing at first, but its effectively just creating a very tight loop within the sample that will act kind of like a tape head you can scrub back and forth using CV or the Data 2 knob.

Assume you are working in channel 1 and have nothing loaded. Load the sample you want to scrub to channel 1 and set pitch to +60, then open the loop screen and set the end point to just left of the halfway mark. Change the start point to the halfway mark and adjust the end point back again until it is only 4 audio samples after the start point.

If working with a sample that is 00100000 audio samples long, you'd end up with the start point of the loop to 00050000 and the end point at either 00050004 or 0004.000 (depending on whether the display is set to show loop end or loop length).

At the bottom of the loop screen, set the loop start to be modulated by CV from 1A and turn the gain for this modulation down from the default (1.00) to 0.71.

To assign the Data 2 knob to provide modulation, go to the channel select screen and scroll to the bottom let. Set D2CV to 1A, put the channel in loop mode and then latch, and off you go.

It's a cool trick, but I haven't figured out what I could do with it that I'd find musically interesting. YMMV
nicholasponcedeleon
Common Wiggler

Post by nicholasponcedeleon »

cafe-de-la-jungle wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:35 am
Who said I’m using all mod inputs? It’s fairly simple tbh. I want to use faders modulating the mix section of the track (fader operation) and velocity on them as well.
I read incorrectly. Well, you already have the solution then!
Powerdwarf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Powerdwarf »

wont wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:41 am
Powerdwarf wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:16 am anyone can explain me scrubbing technique? i have read the manual but how its introduced that shit just wont work or im dumb. i followed the steps but smth is not clear in it.
I found the instruction to "create a 4 sample loop in Start/Length mode at the approximate center of the sound" a little confusing at first, but its effectively just creating a very tight loop within the sample that will act kind of like a tape head you can scrub back and forth using CV or the Data 2 knob.

Assume you are working in channel 1 and have nothing loaded. Load the sample you want to scrub to channel 1 and set pitch to +60, then open the loop screen and set the end point to just left of the halfway mark. Change the start point to the halfway mark and adjust the end point back again until it is only 4 audio samples after the start point.

If working with a sample that is 00100000 audio samples long, you'd end up with the start point of the loop to 00050000 and the end point at either 00050004 or 0004.000 (depending on whether the display is set to show loop end or loop length).

At the bottom of the loop screen, set the loop start to be modulated by CV from 1A and turn the gain for this modulation down from the default (1.00) to 0.71.

To assign the Data 2 knob to provide modulation, go to the channel select screen and scroll to the bottom let. Set D2CV to 1A, put the channel in loop mode and then latch, and off you go.

It's a cool trick, but I haven't figured out what I could do with it that I'd find musically interesting. YMMV
thnx. will try that. still dont get why pitch all way up but will try :)
Lurker
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Lurker »

cafe-de-la-jungle wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:18 pm I’m slowly giving up to the idea that we will see ever and update. I was hoping we would get extra cv control for the level of the sample which will leave the Pan/Mix to fader operation. Since I’m using all inputs for modulation I come up with an idea to buy fader with attenuator and put that velocity control signal thru them before going into A8 to have that fake-fader operation. Any one tried this? Any potential drawbacks with idea?
Hmm, are you aware that there are already 3 destinations for one channel's level control? Also, if you are already using all mod inputs then what are you hoping the update will address?
because if you're not using all inputs then why do you need more ways to set the level? there's already 3 inputs for level that can be set
virtualpt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by virtualpt »

Use the CV in the mix section as you are. In the level section use the LINEAR AM cv for velocity. I missed this when I first got the Assimil8or, linear AM is just CV control of level, you can send audio rate signals to get amplitude modulation, but you can also send cv envelopes or static signals to control level. HTH :)
cafe-de-la-jungle
Common Wiggler

Post by cafe-de-la-jungle »

virtualpt wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:28 pm
Use the CV in the mix section as you are. In the level section use the LINEAR AM cv for velocity. I missed this when I first got the Assimil8or, linear AM is just CV control of level, you can send audio rate signals to get amplitude modulation, but you can also send cv envelopes or static signals to control level. HTH :)
This is great idea. No idea why I haven’t thought about that before. I was thinking it might be somehow scaled differently. Thanks! I will give it a go tomorrow!
Misk
Common Wiggler

Post by Misk »

Anyone happen to know where the release notes are for the changes from firmware update 2.03 to 2.04? I noticed that i was still running 2.03 the other day and I can't find a changelog anywhere.
BrokenBo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BrokenBo »

Misk wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:20 pm Anyone happen to know where the release notes are for the changes from firmware update 2.03 to 2.04? I noticed that i was still running 2.03 the other day and I can't find a changelog anywhere.
Definately get the newest update. I had some random crashes with 2.03 and with 2.04 everything is super stable.
mookid
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mookid »

I'm tempted to buy one of this bad boy. Would you recommend it as the main sampler in a hardware setup that is non 100% modular and sequenced by a cirklon ?
Powerdwarf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Powerdwarf »

mookid wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:11 pm I'm tempted to buy one of this bad boy. Would you recommend it as the main sampler in a hardware setup that is non 100% modular and sequenced by a cirklon ?
it doesnt have midi take that in mind
mookid
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mookid »

Powerdwarf wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:38 pm
mookid wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:11 pm I'm tempted to buy one of this bad boy. Would you recommend it as the main sampler in a hardware setup that is non 100% modular and sequenced by a cirklon ?
Not a deal breaker since I got the CV BOB !
Powerdwarf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Powerdwarf »

otherwise its a monster device. phase mod is super nice as well as other stuff. and the sound... glorious. though not seeing playhead in start/end screen is cringe but hey they probably make those shortcomings for smth we dont know yet lol. dont have other explanation for that. super mysterious missing feature
sacguy71
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sacguy71 »

I love Rossum modules and they sound amazing so this is on my wishlist. I already have Morphagene and Squid Salmple for eurorack samplers to keep me busy as I save up.
My Music and samples
https://soundcloud.com/pebcap

My Old samples and music when I started learning music production
https://soundcloud.com/modben

Travel 7u Case
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1767271

4u Techno Jam case
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1751409

I have more but use these the most on the go.
BlackDoors
Common Wiggler

Post by BlackDoors »

mookid wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:52 pm
Powerdwarf wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:38 pm
Not a deal breaker since I got the CV BOB !
It plays real nice with the Cirklon drum trigger dmux box as well. Amazing combo for super tight percussion…low latency and brilliant sound quality. It’s my absolute first choice for single shot drum sounds and does a lot more besides,

Worth saying, Assimil8or doesn’t have filters, and there are other samplers that make it much quicker and easier to slice loops. But hey…. This is euro, where there are lots of filters.
Ushijima
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Ushijima »

TBH short answer would be no, as much as I love this sampler it can't remplace the flexibility you get with hardware samplers like Digitakt, Octatrack or MPC'S to name a few, or you must have a giant system for each voices in Ass8.
I see it more useful in a live content or for sound design purpose, but not for studio oriented set-up. What are your other gears ?
stylesforfree
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stylesforfree »

Has anyone thought about pairing Assimil8or with a boss bow tie? Or has anyone tried it? Im wondering how easy it is to get the two to work together in creating some head nod 4/4 skull snapping drum beats and what not. Watching a video on boss bow tie it seems like it would be an intuitive pairing.

I dont know how much control you have over the outputs to create a regular consistent beat with it.

Also looking at boss bow two, both these modules seem like a no brainer on paper. But im wondering if anyone has actually used them together.
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff »

Assimil8or already kind of has a Boss Bow Tie built in to each channel with the Zones feature, no? I suppose it depends on what specific result you have in mind.
stylesforfree
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stylesforfree »

mdoudoroff wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:38 am Assimil8or already kind of has a Boss Bow Tie built in to each channel with the Zones feature, no? I suppose it depends on what specific result you have in mind.
Im looking at using the 8 outputs on the boss bow to trigger the assimil8or
stylesforfree
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stylesforfree »

tl3ss wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:25 pm Are there even any to purchase these days?
DV247 says stock expected March 2022.
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff »

stylesforfree wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:27 am Im looking at using the 8 outputs on the boss bow to trigger the assimil8or
While the eight outputs of the BBT will map neatly to the eight inputs of the A8, the “general weakness” would be that only one output on the BBT will be active at a time, so you would only trigger one A8 channel at a time. (Depending on the channel settings, A8 sounds could still overlap, of course, they just wouldn’t start concurrently.) But again, it depends on the result you’re aiming for. There’s certainly nothing “wrong” with the patch idea.
mookid
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mookid »

Ushijima wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:19 pm
TBH short answer would be no, as much as I love this sampler it can't remplace the flexibility you get with hardware samplers like Digitakt, Octatrack or MPC'S to name a few, or you must have a giant system for each voices in Ass8.
I see it more useful in a live content or for sound design purpose, but not for studio oriented set-up. What are your other gears ?
A few digital and analog synths and a small eurorack synth voice, mainly Intellijel modules.
stylesforfree
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stylesforfree »

mdoudoroff wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:37 am
stylesforfree wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:27 am Im looking at using the 8 outputs on the boss bow to trigger the assimil8or
While the eight outputs of the BBT will map neatly to the eight inputs of the A8, the “general weakness” would be that only one output on the BBT will be active at a time, so you would only trigger one A8 channel at a time. (Depending on the channel settings, A8 sounds could still overlap, of course, they just wouldn’t start concurrently.) But again, it depends on the result you’re aiming for. There’s certainly nothing “wrong” with the patch idea.
Gotcha! thanks for the input, now to decide if I actually need a sequential switch then.

By the way, I didn't even know it was you but your youtube videos have helped me immensely in the past especially your control forge and demystifying maths video. In fact, if it wasn't for your control forge video I would never have persisted with programming my own patches. Your covering video of the BPM update got me up and running in no time too.
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff »

stylesforfree wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:34 am Gotcha! thanks for the input, now to decide if I actually need a sequential switch then.
If you’re particularly interested in rhythm, then you might want to take a hard look at Mystic Circuits Tree.
stylesforfree wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:34 am By the way, I didn't even know it was you but your youtube videos have helped me immensely in the past especially your control forge and demystifying maths video. In fact, if it wasn't for your control forge video I would never have persisted with programming my own patches. Your covering video of the BPM update got me up and running in no time too.
8-)

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”