Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

stylesforfree
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or

Post by stylesforfree »

Powerdwarf wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:09 pm Also I would like to ask you ppl if the phase modulation on Assimil8or is something different than ring mod or no? sorry for noob question here just looking for a quick answer for question that arose after watching demos
No it's nothing like ring modulation.

Here's a good video with clear audio examples of phase modulation.

And here's a clear and concise demonstration and explanation of ring modulation from Make Noise

Powerdwarf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Powerdwarf »

stylesforfree wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:50 pm
Powerdwarf wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:09 pm Also I would like to ask you ppl if the phase modulation on Assimil8or is something different than ring mod or no? sorry for noob question here just looking for a quick answer for question that arose after watching demos
No it's nothing like ring modulation.

Here's a good video with clear audio examples of phase modulation.

And here's a clear and concise demonstration and explanation of ring modulation from Make Noise

SunSpots
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SunSpots »

Can't find anything on the Google. Black panel where and who? Need a lead

(Black panel haters don't reply. I don't care)
WTB: black on all these.... rabid elephants natural gate, Polygogo , vult freak, patching panda vibrazum v2, can be silver intellijel 1u quad att, 1u steppy, 1u ornament and crime, 1u pique, 1u plumber, 1u plum audio buffered mult.
SunSpots
Lurker
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Lurker »

as far as im aware there are none, so youd have to get crafty yourself
stylesforfree
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stylesforfree »

Powerdwarf wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:01 pm thanks :) phase mod is much more diverse in a sonic way
No worries, I love using the moddemix for AM and RM, Im thinking now that I should try running the assimil8or into the moddemix and trying out a modulation chain of phase modulation ---> ring modulation.
Powerdwarf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Powerdwarf »

SunSpots wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:56 pm Can't find anything on the Google. Black panel where and who? Need a lead

Im gonna make it I think cuz I need it myself. Not sure about graphics, will make it simple I guess. But yeah, will print from jlpcb, not alluminium though. It should be ready in first quarter of '22
SunSpots
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SunSpots »

Powerdwarf wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:48 am
SunSpots wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:56 pm Can't find anything on the Google. Black panel where and who? Need a lead

Im gonna make it I think cuz I need it myself. Not sure about graphics, will make it simple I guess. But yeah, will print from jlpcb, not alluminium though. It should be ready in first quarter of '22
Maybe do a post for a bulk run and take orders?
Also I would think the safest bet is to make the panel design follow the font and idea of the original silver from Rossum. Just black and white. Maybe Dave Rossum can even help out to make it more gooder?
WTB: black on all these.... rabid elephants natural gate, Polygogo , vult freak, patching panda vibrazum v2, can be silver intellijel 1u quad att, 1u steppy, 1u ornament and crime, 1u pique, 1u plumber, 1u plum audio buffered mult.
SunSpots
Powerdwarf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Powerdwarf »

SunSpots wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:19 am

Also I would think the safest bet is to make the panel design follow the font and idea of the original silver from Rossum. Just black and white. Maybe Dave Rossum can even help out to make it more gooder?
I will consider that, yeah I need to wrap my head around this but Im not sure if panel would be 1:1 but it will be similar and simple with zero mumbo jumbo. Also rossum logo will go away I think, wont contact him cuz it would be a hassle to deal stuff like that with such a minimal outcome as a panel change. And they seem to be quite consistent about their aesthetics so yeah, wont go "official" route
SunSpots
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SunSpots »

Powerdwarf wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:37 am
SunSpots wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:19 am

I will consider that, yeah I need to wrap my head around this but Im not sure if panel would be 1:1 but it will be similar and simple with zero mumbo jumbo. Also rossum logo will go away I think, wont contact him cuz it would be a hassle to deal stuff like that with such a minimal outcome as a panel change. And they seem to be quite consistent about their aesthetics so yeah, wont go "official" route
Msg me here on modwiggler when u r ready to launch.
SunSpots
Powerdwarf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Powerdwarf »

sometimes i wish there would be 8 channel filter to pair with Assimil8or :D which filters are u huys using with it?
Powerdwarf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Powerdwarf »

Assimil8or's phase mod is insane. just sayin.
stylesforfree
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stylesforfree »

Powerdwarf wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:20 am sometimes i wish there would be 8 channel filter to pair with Assimil8or :D which filters are u huys using with it?
I have 2 Intellijel Polaris, Roland 505, hexinverter red dragon, make noise MMG, AJH minimod VCF and an ALM mum M8.

I find that the Mum M8 is the best filter for achieving that "vintage" sampler sound.
MDurden
Common Wiggler

Post by MDurden »

Powerdwarf wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:20 am sometimes i wish there would be 8 channel filter to pair with Assimil8or :D which filters are u huys using with it?
I haven't tried it yet, but I was eyeing the the Dopefer A-105-4 Quad Polyphonic VCF. Two of those would cover all 8 voices of the Assimil8or
MDurden
Common Wiggler

Post by MDurden »

I just noticed Rossum increased the price of all their modules by $100 including the Assimil8or. Except for the Trident that was increased up by $300 and is now $899. Good lawwwd, that's a lot of money :-O . Glad I picked mine up when it was still at $599. Prices going up for lots of manufacturers.
Murcia Parker
Common Wiggler

Post by Murcia Parker »

Let's say I have an organ sample single note of 10-20 seconds length. The last seconds of this sample the note is released and what remains is its nice natural decay.

What I would like to achieve is to loop this note for the first 10-15 seconds while gate/trig signal is high and when gate/trig is released then jump to the very last seconds of the sample.

Is there a way to implement this?
nicholasponcedeleon
Common Wiggler

Post by nicholasponcedeleon »

Murcia Parker wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:00 am Let's say I have an organ sample single note of 10-20 seconds length. The last seconds of this sample the note is released and what remains is its nice natural decay.

What I would like to achieve is to loop this note for the first 10-15 seconds while gate/trig signal is high and when gate/trig is released then jump to the very last seconds of the sample.

Indeed there is! First set sample start to the very beginning and set sample end to very end. Now with the loop start and end points, navigate to the 10-15 seconds you want to loop and set the points accordingly. Now put the trigger mode to gated and loop mode to gated. Now navigate to the envelope section and adjust the decay/release to match the natural decay of your sounds envelope.
Murcia Parker
Common Wiggler

Post by Murcia Parker »

nicholasponcedeleon wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:30 am
Murcia Parker wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:00 am Let's say I have an organ sample single note of 10-20 seconds length. The last seconds of this sample the note is released and what remains is its nice natural decay.

Indeed there is! First set sample start to the very beginning and set sample end to very end. Now with the loop start and end points, navigate to the 10-15 seconds you want to loop and set the points accordingly. Now put the trigger mode to gated and loop mode to gated. Now navigate to the envelope section and adjust the decay/release to match the natural decay of your sounds envelope.
Thanks for your help! However I would like to jump to the very last seconds of the sample when gate/trig is released. The organ is in a church and the natural decay of the sound has some ambience that I like it. Is there a way to do this?
whyfarer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by whyfarer »

Murcia Parker wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:18 pm

Thanks for your help! However I would like to jump to the very last seconds of the sample when gate/trig is released. The organ is in a church and the natural decay of the sound has some ambience that I like it. Is there a way to do this?
I don't know if you can do that internally with only assimil8or programming. But, if you have some external logic and modulation I think it's possible:

Set some external modulation to modulate loop start (or maybe sample start?). Have this set to a value of zero. When your long gate ends, you need a way to change the start modulation to a value that moves the start loop point to the desired tail area. You might also need to retrigger the gate so it starts right at the desired value
Murcia Parker
Common Wiggler

Post by Murcia Parker »

whyfarer wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:30 pm

I don't know if you can do that internally with only assimil8or programming. But, if you have some external logic and modulation I think it's possible:

Set some external modulation to modulate loop start (or maybe sample start?). Have this set to a value of zero. When your long gate ends, you need a way to change the start modulation to a value that moves the start loop point to the desired tail area. You might also need to retrigger the gate so it starts right at the desired value
Thanks for your help! I'm going to try to achieve what I want with your method! Are you the same whyfarer from Reddit? :)
gimber
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gimber »

Gated Mode
When the bottom LED is lit, the loop is in
Gated Mode. In this mode, upon gate fall, the
sample will progress to its end from wherever
it is (without any subsequent looping) while
its decays.
whyfarer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by whyfarer »

Murcia Parker wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:38 pm Thanks for your help! I'm going to try to achieve what I want with your method! Are you the same whyfarer from Reddit? :)
yah. it's been nice chatting with you about the assimil8or on multiple platforms
cafe-de-la-jungle
Common Wiggler

Post by cafe-de-la-jungle »

I’m slowly giving up to the idea that we will see ever and update. I was hoping we would get extra cv control for the level of the sample which will leave the Pan/Mix to fader operation. Since I’m using all inputs for modulation I come up with an idea to buy fader with attenuator and put that velocity control signal thru them before going into A8 to have that fake-fader operation. Any one tried this? Any potential drawbacks with idea?
Lurker
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Lurker »

not sure why people are expecting one to begin with, but can't you just use the two am inputs?
nicholasponcedeleon
Common Wiggler

Post by nicholasponcedeleon »

cafe-de-la-jungle wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:18 pm I’m slowly giving up to the idea that we will see ever and update. I was hoping we would get extra cv control for the level of the sample which will leave the Pan/Mix to fader operation. Since I’m using all inputs for modulation I come up with an idea to buy fader with attenuator and put that velocity control signal thru them before going into A8 to have that fake-fader operation. Any one tried this? Any potential drawbacks with idea?
Hmm, are you aware that there are already 3 destinations for one channel's level control? Also, if you are already using all mod inputs then what are you hoping the update will address?
Powerdwarf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Powerdwarf »

anyone can explain me scrubbing technique? i have read the manual but how its introduced that shit just wont work or im dumb. i followed the steps but smth is not clear in it.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”