Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or

Post by Sinamsis »

ch3oh wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:44 am I am still curious why the built-in envelope does not work in one-shot mode? I use A8 for drums primarily and wanted to have handy control over their decay. I was able to work around this by setting it to gated mode and configuring my sequencer to send short triggers, but IMO things would have been much simpler if it just fired an envelope regardless of the play mode.
I don’t know a lot about samplers but I believe any sampler in one shot mode doesn’t have an amplitude envelope by definition. It plays the entirety of the sample when triggered.
Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dogma »

Dark Barn wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:14 am I got a new Assimil8or, recently, post AKM fire. No idea what converters are inside though, or if Rossum is even out of the AKM converters.

I preordered from DetMod June of ‘20 and got my module in September. It may have been a small run by Rossum just enough to cover dealer back orders? If you are looking to get one the best thing to do would be get in touch with your dealer of choice and ask them!
No I’ve had one since they came out, just fyi for others
look up!
radialMelt
Common Wiggler

Post by radialMelt »

This module has only recently come on my radar, and definitely very interested. Are they impossible to get for some reason?
ch3oh
Common Wiggler

Post by ch3oh »

Sinamsis wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:59 pm
ch3oh wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:44 am I am still curious why the built-in envelope does not work in one-shot mode? I use A8 for drums primarily and wanted to have handy control over their decay. I was able to work around this by setting it to gated mode and configuring my sequencer to send short triggers, but IMO things would have been much simpler if it just fired an envelope regardless of the play mode.
I don’t know a lot about samplers but I believe any sampler in one shot mode doesn’t have an amplitude envelope by definition. It plays the entirety of the sample when triggered.
I guess you are right. If the envelope was active in one-shot mode, this would mean that you'd have to set the decay to infinite in order to play the whole sample start to end in this mode. But if you then wanted to switch to gated, having infinite decay would entirely defeat the purpose of using gated mode. The current implementation is less confusing for sure.
virtualpt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by virtualpt »

The attack stage of the envelope works as you would expect in one-shot mode. The release has no effect as there is effectively no release stage without a gate. How would the release stage know when to start? I guess that it could work backwards from the end of the sample?? :cat1:
wont
Learning to Wiggle

Post by wont »

I'm not 100%, but I think the envelope function on the Erica Synths Sample Drum might allow this. Its been a little while since I've used one, but I seem to remember you could set attack, sustain and release values for a one shot sample relative to the sample duration. There are some really clever and intuitive elements to the Sample Drum UI that I still miss.
Misk
Common Wiggler

Post by Misk »

my kingdom for nested folders

Or better yet, the ability to automatically save recorded samples in a separate folder would be immense for resampling purposes. which is what I tend to use my assimil8or for the most. The last thing I want to do is sully up my clean "source" sample folder with a ton of resampled madness that I plan on picking through later. truly kills the workflow.
studioutopia
Veteran Wiggler

Post by studioutopia »

Misk wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:14 pm my kingdom for nested folders

Or better yet, the ability to automatically save recorded samples in a separate folder would be immense for resampling purposes. which is what I tend to use my assimil8or for the most. The last thing I want to do is sully up my clean "source" sample folder with a ton of resampled madness that I plan on picking through later. truly kills the workflow.
100% agree!!
Lokua
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Lokua »

ch3oh wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:48 pm
I guess you are right. If the envelope was active in one-shot mode, this would mean that you'd have to set the decay to infinite in order to play the whole sample start to end in this mode. But if you then wanted to switch to gated, having infinite decay would entirely defeat the purpose of using gated mode. The current implementation is less confusing for sure.
Digitakt, Octatrack, MPC2000XL, Ableton's Simpler and Sampler, etc. all support one shot triggering with AD/AR envelopes (you just need to set hold or whatever to zero to achieve an AR or AD in some cases). I don't own an Assimil8r but have been eyeing one and am very sad to learn that you cannot make use of envelopes in one shot mode. The device having envelopes is one of the major selling points for me. This seems like a silly limitation. The decay/release should just start at the end of the attack phase like any other two stage envelope. I assume the other mode where you do use these envelopes is a looping mode? Are there other modes that use envelopes that work well for drum samples?
Ushijima
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Ushijima »

I'm waiting for nested folders since few years now, I don't know why this basic management tool isn't implemented since the beginning, I don't believe it's hard to program? Maybe I'm wrong but it would make life easier to organise samples.
isi909
Common Wiggler

Post by isi909 »

Lokua wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:00 am
ch3oh wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:48 pm
Digitakt, Octatrack, MPC2000XL, Ableton's Simpler and Sampler, etc. all support one shot triggering with AD/AR envelopes (you just need to set hold or whatever to zero to achieve an AR or AD in some cases). I don't own an Assimil8r but have been eyeing one and am very sad to learn that you cannot make use of envelopes in one shot mode. The device having envelopes is one of the major selling points for me. This seems like a silly limitation. The decay/release should just start at the end of the attack phase like any other two stage envelope. I assume the other mode where you do use these envelopes is a looping mode? Are there other modes that use envelopes that work well for drum samples?

no, you are wrong What you want is of course possible
Dark Barn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Dark Barn »

Lokua wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:00 am Digitakt…
With Assimil8or one shot mode can be looping or one shot, gated mode can be looping or one shot, envelopes are applied only in gated mode. If you use just a trigger you can get an AD envelope on a ‘one shot’ sample in gated mode with looping turned off. You’re just confused by the naming conventions used by Rossum.
I’ve been searchin’ for the dolphins in the sea

https://weakinreview.org
Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis »

Dark Barn wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:48 am
With Assimil8or one shot mode can be looping or one shot, gated mode can be looping or one shot, envelopes are applied only in gated mode. If you use just a trigger you can get an AD envelope on a ‘one shot’ sample in gated mode with looping turned off. You’re just confused by the naming conventions used by Rossum.
Pretty much this. It’s all possible. You just have to set it up correctly. This discussion is mostly semantics.
Lokua
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Lokua »

Ok great. Thanks for the clarification.
ch3oh
Common Wiggler

Post by ch3oh »

Sinamsis wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:14 am
Pretty much this. It’s all possible. You just have to set it up correctly. This discussion is mostly semantics.
Mostly, but not entirely. If you trigger Maths via its trig input, it does not care about the trigger length and will just output its function from start to finish. This is not possible in A8. You have to be in the gated mode to access the release portion of the envelope, but then you also have to have the gate high for the duration of the attack phase for it to reach full volume, as A8's envelope enters the release stage after seeing the falling edge of the gate. A short gate or trigger will result in an envelope with a much lower maximum level.

It was simpler for my use case, as I didn't need the attack portion of the envelope for my drum samples, so I was able to get away with just using gated mode and ensuring my sequencer sends short triggers. If I ever want to have a one-shot AD envelope, I will most likely need to use an external one.

Again, I can somewhat see why they settled on such a design, but I think there's room for improvement, because, as we've discussed, some things are just confusing, while others are virtually impossible.
hlmm
Common Wiggler

Post by hlmm »

Double post — see below.
Last edited by hlmm on Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
hlmm
Common Wiggler

Post by hlmm »

Lokua wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:00 am ...Are there other modes that use envelopes that work well for drum samples?
You can make*/sample envelope shapes to assimilator and have them play on separate channel acting as VCA or other mods for your drum sounds channel (having the channels linked so they will react to same trigger). Also if you take the envelope channel output and use it to modulate that same channel's pitch you are getting exponential curves which are very nice to have for drum sounds. Or use zones/random mode to create sort of round/robin variations, etc (changing the "pitch" of the envelope will just make it shorter/longer)... Another nice trick is to apply some bit reduction to envelope shapes so they become "squarish"...

*you can actually pitch down audio sample on assimilator so low that it will become an envelope.
OHEXOH
Veteran Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH »

Thinking about the one-shot vs. gated modes, one-shot functionality could have been achieved by allowing a max release time of ‘infinite’ - which would then play the sample to it’s end (aka one-shot). This is how the Digitakt does it as referred to in the comment earlier. I would much rather have had a dedicated button for something else. Ah well…

The only unique functionality that one-shot mode has beyond playing a sample to the end is this (from the manual):
Once initiated, the sample will play to its end (if its loop has been turned off) and stop, or, if its loop is turned on, will continue in that loop until manually stopped by pressing and holding the Play Mode button and then pressing the channel button.
I wonder why would you ever want to do this? :hmm:
Faru
Common Wiggler

Post by Faru »

Ushijima wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:07 am

I'm waiting for nested folders since few years now, I don't know why this basic management tool isn't implemented since the beginning, I don't believe it's hard to program? Maybe I'm wrong but it would make life easier to organise samples.
Oh yes, that was a big bummer to find out, that it cant handle nested folders. I was planning to buy a large micro card. Just having tons of single cycle waveforms is already a mess. having nested folders would be so great!
Faru
Common Wiggler

Post by Faru »

I am trying to read a bit through this vast post and discovered many great tips. This would be worth a pinned thread with all the resources like the cheatsheet and the mac os app!

anyway, I am having some troubles with loops. I have a cv controller mapped to the loop start and another one to the loop end, while it seems to be audible, its not reflected on the display. Is this normal or should this be show on the display? similarly, when I modulate the starting point of a loop with an LFO.
OHEXOH
Veteran Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH »

Faru wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:58 am I am trying to read a bit through this vast post and discovered many great tips. This would be worth a pinned thread with all the resources like the cheatsheet and the mac os app!

anyway, I am having some troubles with loops. I have a cv controller mapped to the loop start and another one to the loop end, while it seems to be audible, its not reflected on the display. Is this normal or should this be show on the display? similarly, when I modulate the starting point of a loop with an LFO.
The display does not live update start/end/playback progress.
Orange
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Orange »

Hi there,

I’m new to Assimil8or, just bought one. Fantastic module btw!
But I need some help to convert my files to integer WAV files.
I’ve tried to convert my samples to 24 bit with Audicity without succes. I watched some videos on the subject and replicated the steps shown in the videos.
So, I’ve tried to export in batch with the export function and have also set the quality to 24 bit in ‘preferences’.
When I open the files again in Audicity, the files are still 32 bit floating.
Tried it with a ‘macro’; does not work for me neither.
I’ve also tried it by converting only one wav file at a time, but the file stays 32 bit floating after opening the edited file. Even if I change the format in the box shown at the left of the file.
I hope it is easy to fix, Can someone point me in the right direction?
Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind. Found the answer. Everything works fine now :sb:
Last edited by Orange on Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faru
Common Wiggler

Post by Faru »

OHEXOH wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:00 am
Faru wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:58 am I am trying to read a bit through this vast post and discovered many great tips. This would be worth a pinned thread with all the resources like the cheatsheet and the mac os app!

The display does not live update start/end/playback progress.
good to know, thanks!

Another topic, but does someone has some resources for multi samples already mapped to cv values for the assimil8or?
nicholasponcedeleon
Common Wiggler

Post by nicholasponcedeleon »

It does not show a live playhead but instead shows the live waveform for whatever channel is currently chosen while playing.
Faru
Common Wiggler

Post by Faru »

thanks for the info!

I have another question and my limited knowledge on how to phrase it didnt give me proper search results. :despair: I have a bunch of multisamples and was wondering how I map the zones properly. Is there some kind of cv to notes converter / formula? I will attach an example of a sample folder. so its not that they cover every key on the keyboard.
Is it possible to just spread the zones I have over the CV range available? e.g. having pamelas workout to create some random quantised notes.

I found this library from some bitbox users, its 1.5 gb of multi samples: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... YvaljSAAYe

thanks in advance!

Edit
I see there is the load and advance which seem to do that; spreading notes over the cv range. I leave the posting in case there are other ways and methods. Do I actually need to load every single sample into the zones manually?
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-01-19 at 16.24.26.png

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”