Serge TKB eurorack by ARC, out now

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:14 pm

Anyone know what the deal is? AH and ARC have listed these as "out of stock" for a while now.

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:24 pm

Yes Powder wrote:Anyone know what the deal is? AH and ARC have listed these as "out of stock" for a while now.
I think they're quite popular. Everyone is waiting on the next production run.
Disappointment with any module is usually a failure of imagination.

robot voices and stuff

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Thu May 24, 2018 8:13 pm

Looks like Perfect Circuit Audio has some stock currently! Treat yourself to the upcoming Memorial Day holiday and grab before gone!! :party:

okiikahuna
Learning to Wiggle

Post by okiikahuna » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:05 am

I've had one for a couple months now. Works great, my only complaint is there's no manual as yet, but its close enough to the Serge, that you can refer to all the stuff written about the original. Best part is, at $899, its considerably less than you could probably ever get a second hand Serge ( I know, I tried. , and this thing is deep one guy turned down my offer of $1,300, now I'm glad he did take it) And no need to swap out the banana jacks. to make it Eurorack. Really, once you get used to the workflow of just hitting a touchplate to select a stage to tune, its painful going back to having to step through all the stages to get tonthe one you want to tune. And lots of interactive stuff you can do while the sequence is running. And the cv knobs while a bit thin, don't really bother me at all. And its greatfun to put a clock into the vertical clock jack. Now you've got 16 4 note sequences to instantly select by touching a pad.

okiikahuna
Learning to Wiggle

Post by okiikahuna » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:09 am

I've had one for a couple months now. Works great, my only complaint is there's no manual as yet,and thisthing is deep, but its close enough to the Serge, that you can refer to all the stuff written about the original. Best part is, at $899, its considerably less than you could probably ever get a second hand Serge ( I know, I tried, one guy turned down my offer of $1,300, now I'm glad he didn't take it) And no need to swap out the banana jacks. to make it Eurorack. Really, once you get used to the workflow of just hitting a touchplate to select a stage to tune, its painful going back to having to step through all the stages to get tonthe one you want to tune. And lots of interactive stuff you can do while the sequence is running. And the cv knobs while a bit thin, don't really bother me at all. And its greatfun to put a clock into the vertical clock jack. Now you've got 16 4 note sequences to instantly select by touching a pad.

ARC
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ARC » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:35 am

Just wanted to let the forum know that the ARC Serge TKB is currently 20% on sale ($720 instead of $899) for one week only in honor of Labor Day:
https://www.analogueresearch.com/product-page/serge-tkb

NewNewRon
Common Wiggler

Post by NewNewRon » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:20 am

ARC wrote:Just wanted to let the forum know that the ARC Serge TKB is currently 20% on sale ($720 instead of $899) for one week only in honor of Labor Day:
https://www.analogueresearch.com/product-page/serge-tkb
Aghhh! Just paid Perfect Circuit $899!

mhtones
Dreams in CV

Post by mhtones » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:39 pm

Woah! :woah: Couldn't pass up the sale. Thanks ARC! This will really wreck havoc on my case tetris! Ordered!

Anyone have a 70hp case around? :hihi:

Yes Powder

Re: Serge TKB eurorack by ARC, out now

Post by Yes Powder » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:34 pm

Does anyone know what the trimpots on the underside do? I didn't get a manual with mine, and it seems to be having a problem where it'll skip steps every once in a while. I tried turning off the KB switch to make sure it isn't falsely sensing me touching the pads, but it still happens.
Also, does one of the trimpots maybe affect the Pressure sensing of the pads? My understanding of the original Serge TKB is that the Pressure out is supposed to output in proportion to how much of your finger is pressed on the pad. The output on mine goes to 5V, no matter how gently I touch it.

caetanosfur
Learning to Wiggle

Post by caetanosfur » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:27 pm

Can one of these trimpots alter the distance btwn the KV steps? I want to set it to whole tones.

mhtones
Dreams in CV

Post by mhtones » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:20 pm

Yes Powder wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:34 pm
Also, does one of the trimpots maybe affect the Pressure sensing of the pads? My understanding of the original Serge TKB is that the Pressure out is supposed to output in proportion to how much of your finger is pressed on the pad. The output on mine goes to 5V, no matter how gently I touch it.
I spoke to ARC when I first bought my TKB and the pressure is either on or off. Not pressure sensitive like a pressure points. I'm not familiar with the actual function of an original serge TKB.
FS/FT (US): Zvex Instant Lofi Junky pedal

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:59 pm

This original serge does have variable pressure, surprised the ARC TKB does not:
The capacitive keys have a pressure output that produce a voltage proportional to the key area your finger covers.
Taken from :
http://www.serge-fans.com/wiz_seq.htm
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Yes Powder

Post by Yes Powder » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:50 pm

Damn, that's actually really disappointing.
(sorry for lateposting. For some reason I only realized this was updated just now)

windchill
Veteran Wiggler

Post by windchill » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:45 pm

Necroing the thread perhaps, but I'd be interested in how this version of the TKB panned out for those who have one. Yes Powder mentioned an issue with skipping steps, which is worrying - and I read elsewhere that someone had issues with it not clocking from some sources.

Is the ARC TKB a good buy?

mhtones
Dreams in CV

Post by mhtones » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:06 pm

windchill wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:45 pm
Necroing the thread perhaps, but I'd be interested in how this version of the TKB panned out for those who have one. Yes Powder mentioned an issue with skipping steps, which is worrying - and I read elsewhere that someone had issues with it not clocking from some sources.

Is the ARC TKB a good buy?
I've had mine for about a year and a half and still love it. I've never noticed it skipping steps when running it in sequencer mode. I tend to play the touchpads more than using it as a sequencer. However, sending it a clock AND playing the touch pads is a lot of fun especially since the reset start point moves to your last touched sensor pad. Using one of the step gate outputs to trigger the reset will allow you to quickly and easily change the number of steps in a pattern which is a lot of fun to "play". This can also lead to a lot of unplanned patterns/happy accidents when you want.

The one downside is that the pads are not very pressure sensitive from the "PRES" output jack. Kind of an either on or off. There is not the degree of "pressure" control like with a Pressure Points. However, I found the pads to be MUCH MUCH more reliable than I found rene or pressure points (and I didn't think PP/Rene were that bad). No need to do use the "lick the fingers" trick here :hihi: :foul: .

I've owned a pressure points x2 + brains combo and a Rene v1 and I've found I prefer the playability of the ARC TKB much more. YMMV One neat trick is that you can also "disconnect" the pressure pads from the knob voltages and run in sequencer mode AND use the touch pads separately with the limitation of having set voltages on the pads.

The ARC TKB also has the internal switch function which allows you to rotate through the 4 different 16 step sequences with a trigger (into VCLK) which means you don't need a separate sequential switch to get 32, 48 or 64 step sequences (or just switch rows whenever you want :tu: ). I just wish there was an LED on each row so that you could tell which row of voltages is being output by the ABCD output jack at a given time.

I probably wouldn't pick this as my ONLY eurorack sequencer though. I also have Stillson Hammer mk2, Varigate 4+, Beatstep Pro and a Korg SQ-1 that I use for more "traditional" sequencing. It does take a lot of space at 70hp, but I have a Planar 2 sitting next to it to perfectly fill 1 row of a 84hp 6u and use this combo as my 2 main playable controllers for my eurorack setup. :tu:

Oh yeah, it can also be triggered at audio rate so can become a 16 adjustable stepped waveform oscillator.

I've been thinking of buying 64 knob toppers from Thonk, but first need to decide on a color scheme.
FS/FT (US): Zvex Instant Lofi Junky pedal

Yes Powder

Post by Yes Powder » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:04 pm

I guess I should’ve made a followup post. I emailed arc and got a response regarding the trimpots. It turns out that the sensitivity on mine was set too high and that was what was causing my issues. Easy fix; took me less than five minutes.
I am still disappointed that the Pressure-out isn’t just that. It’s basically a slewed Touch-out, which means I still have to have my Pressure Points/Brains combo in my system if I want that actual pressure sensitivity— despite buying this with hopes of replacing them. For something that bills itself as a Serge TKB, you’d think they’d try to carry over all the behaviors of the original. My fault for not WTFVing before I buy, though.

LunaticSound
Veteran Wiggler

Post by LunaticSound » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:01 pm

Yes Powder wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:04 pm
I guess I should’ve made a followup post. I emailed arc and got a response regarding the trimpots. It turns out that the sensitivity on mine was set too high and that was what was causing my issues. Easy fix; took me less than five minutes.
I am still disappointed that the Pressure-out isn’t just that. It’s basically a slewed Touch-out, which means I still have to have my Pressure Points/Brains combo in my system if I want that actual pressure sensitivity— despite buying this with hopes of replacing them. For something that bills itself as a Serge TKB, you’d think they’d try to carry over all the behaviors of the original. My fault for not WTFVing before I buy, though.
Not really your fault, as ARC claimed to have kept everything like the original in their posts here, no?

Yes Powder

Post by Yes Powder » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:33 pm

LunaticSound wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:01 pm
Not really your fault, as ARC claimed to have kept everything like the original in their posts here, no?
I mean that was my takeaway from the marketing, but the instructional video does go over this difference so :despair:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”