Animal Factory Amplification

New Hosted Sub-Forum. Check it out here:
Not exactly a new manufacturer but new to us. Check out their pedal and eurorack product and extend them a welcome all the way to Mumbai!

Rabid Elephant NATURAL GATE

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, Kent, Joe., luketeaford

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Rabid Elephant NATURAL GATE

Post by Zymos »

My Friday the 13th NG story:
When it shipped, USPS predicted a 5/13 delivery date. But the last tracking was over 24 hours ago and at least 1000 miles away! How tragic is that???

But I somehow soldier on and am having a lovely Friday eve jam despite that beckoning hole in my rack….
Maybe you’d like to buy some of these nice used modules?

viewtopic.php?p=3730210&hilit=Lotsa#p3730210
cbm
Eardrill

Post by cbm »

Zymos wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:43 pm My Friday the 13th NG story:
When it shipped, USPS predicted a 5/13 delivery date. But the last tracking was over 24 hours ago and at least 1000 miles away! How tragic is that???
Pretty tragic. Too bad Friday the 13th fell on a Friday this month.

Here's a crappy iPhone audio video to tide you over:
Chris Muir
Eardrill Archive - http://www.eardrill.com (on permanent vacation)
electrosandwich
Common Wiggler

Post by electrosandwich »

But I somehow soldier on and am having a lovely Friday eve jam despite that beckoning hole in my rack….
I also had a delivery date of 5/13, and to my complete and total shock it actually arrived yesterday. I can't remember the last time USPS delivered something on time to me in the just year, esp all the way across the country. Best of luck... Hope it's there for you on Monday!
Nutritional Zero
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Nutritional Zero »

cbm wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:08 pm
Pretty tragic. Too bad Friday the 13th fell on a Friday this month.

Outrageously plucky!
PM33AUD
Destroyer of BSP

Post by PM33AUD »

Pretty sure I got all preorders for NG out before I left for Germany. I should be back in the states in another week or two. SB was lots of fun even though we couldn't get a prototype finished in time and forgot my banner in the hustle of getting all the units to the shippers before the flight :o Thanks to those that stopped by. Always fun being near the Ritual guys. Had a pretty nice tent jam end of last day.

Have fun!
SunSpots
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SunSpots »

PM33AUD wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:04 pm Pretty sure I got all preorders for NG out before I left for Germany. I should be back in the states in another week or two. SB was lots of fun even though we couldn't get a prototype finished in time and forgot my banner in the hustle of getting all the units to the shippers before the flight :o Thanks to those that stopped by. Always fun being near the Ritual guys. Had a pretty nice tent jam end of last day.

Have fun!
If u have an extra one let me know bro. I missed your email last time. 😢 I have a special filter for you now though! When is next time?
WTB: MPC X good condition, rabid elephants natural gate, Instruo Arhbar, Make Noise Shared System B/G plus
PM33AUD
Destroyer of BSP

Post by PM33AUD »

Next run is in the pipeline.

Also, after talking to folks at SB, wanted to remind folks that the CTRL input with a (sharp (or not if you don't want so much attack) pulse about 800us long and right CTRL setting will be same as using the HIT input, however, the CTRL input has dynamics if you vary the pulse height. Lots of folks go the easy route (which is still quite usable) using the HIT input only. I like adding dynamics (or even other shapes) with the CTRL input as you'd do with other LPGs and then use the HIT input as an accent pulse. You can also get ghost notes sending signals on a different rhythm than the HIT input into the DECAY CV input.
Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos »

:tu:
Thanks for the tips Mr. Elephant!

modtech
Common Wiggler

Post by modtech »

would you be able to share any news on the portal drum release?
Mule
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mule »

modtech wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:38 pm would you be able to share any news on the portal drum release?
+1!
Orange
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Orange »

cbm wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:08 pm

Ah! Nice. :bananaguitar: Thanks for the demo.
Interesting combo with the Planar and the ribbon controller. Is that the Doepfer ribbon controller ?
analogbrainsurgeon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by analogbrainsurgeon »

modtech wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:38 pm would you be able to share any news on the portal drum release?
A note was added to the PD thread, looks like the hope is to ship by the end of the year.
cbm
Eardrill

Post by cbm »

Orange wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:15 pm Ah! Nice. :bananaguitar: Thanks for the demo.
Thanks!

Interesting combo with the Planar and the ribbon controller. Is that the Doepfer ribbon controller ?
Yes, ribbon is Doepfer R2M. It's controlling a couple timbral things on the Frap Tools Brenso, which is the main voice.

The Planar 2 is controlling note generation. X axis is providing a pre-quantizer pitch bias, along with an LFO and/or some sort of random in the pre-quantizer mix. The Y axis is Natural Gate Decay, along with the divisor on the main note clock (Noise Engineering Fractio Solum).
Chris Muir
Eardrill Archive - http://www.eardrill.com (on permanent vacation)
Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos »

This thing sure does sound nice in real life!

I’m not at all an LPG expert, though I’ve somehow accumulated a few- Lxd, MengQi, Sinc Bucina, Boing, and now NG. All are different and all are good, but if I could only keep one, it would be NG for sure. (If I could keep 2, I’d also pick Boing, because it’s able to get some more extreme sounds that the others don’t).
I’m really liking the full bodied woody tones, and with the 3 material types and the interaction of other controls, it’s a fun playground. Also, you get 2 of them!

DreamFangs
Common Wiggler

Post by DreamFangs »

PM33AUD wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:04 pm Pretty sure I got all preorders for NG out before I left for Germany. I should be back in the states in another week or two. SB was lots of fun even though
Thanks for cranking those out and getting them dispatched to all of us eager beavers! Doesn't seem like an iota of quality was sacrificed in doing so either. Really top notch attention to detail. Don't think I didn't notice the careful setting of each slider and knob when I opened the box :yay: Also like everyone else here has mentioned, the sound is exquisite.
PM33AUD wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:23 pm Next run is in the pipeline.
I know at least one or two more people who will be queueing up for that now that they've heard this one in person.

Hope the rest of y'all got yours safe and sound. Mine actually rocketed to me through the mail system and arrived a few days earlier than it was supposed to. I think I'm on a major delivery thoroughfare though.

Big ups all around. And very nice demos and vids those who posted. Really enjoyed them! :tu:
so it goes.
okayiquit
Common Wiggler

Post by okayiquit »

Maybe I'm a bad person, I bought one because there was basically no reason not to (could flip for profit, or it lives up to the hype). It's great. Spent like 2 hours just pushing generate 3 multed to both lpg's pinging them at different steps and panned through reverb. This sound is addictive. Granted I'm probably not the target audience, I make lame techno while I wfh.
wont
Common Wiggler

Post by wont »

okayiquit wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:30 am I make lame techno while I wfh.
Literally doing that right now. Maybe I should get a Natural Gate :)
fastlanestranger
Wiggling with Experience

Post by fastlanestranger »

One man's lame techno is another man's drop dead banger. I would be interested to hear the lame techno from both of you as I too make lame techno...well more lame house but who cares it's all lame!
closedLoop
Veteran Wiggler

Post by closedLoop »

okayiquit wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:30 am Maybe I'm a bad person, I bought one because there was basically no reason not to (could flip for profit, or it lives up to the hype). It's great.
I picked up a NG on the recent production wave with similar thoughts. I think a significant amount of the hype around this module has to do with the imbalance between supply and demand, much like the Mannequins modules.

That said, if you're into LPGs, this is a must-have module that's worth the retail price. The range of sounds is well beyond what other LPGs can even get close to, and nearly all of that range is very useful. I sold on my Make Noise LPGs to grab this, and I have no regrets.

It's also very simply a beautiful looking module as well. I'm really sorry I slept on the NG up until now. There was something about the hype that really put me off.
Naive Teen Idol
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Naive Teen Idol »

closedLoop wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:47 pm
okayiquit wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:30 am Maybe I'm a bad person, I bought one because there was basically no reason not to (could flip for profit, or it lives up to the hype). It's great.
I picked up a NG on the recent production wave with similar thoughts. I think a significant amount of the hype around this module has to do with the imbalance between supply and demand, much like the Mannequins modules.

That said, if you're into LPGs, this is a must-have module that's worth the retail price. The range of sounds is well beyond what other LPGs can even get close to, and nearly all of that range is very useful. I sold on my Make Noise LPGs to grab this, and I have no regrets.

It's also very simply a beautiful looking module as well. I'm really sorry I slept on the NG up until now. There was something about the hype that really put me off.
I've been intrigued by comments like the bolded about the NG -- and am watching the YT video @mdoudoroff did on this, which ... isn't blowing me away? As someone who has an Optomix v1 and RxMx, I'm a bit interested by your comment that you sold all your MN LPGs with no regrets. I mean, it sounds good and is certainly flexible. But as a MN guy, am I missing something?
closedLoop
Veteran Wiggler

Post by closedLoop »

Naive Teen Idol wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:38 pm I've been intrigued by comments like the bolded about the NG -- and am watching the YT video @mdoudoroff did on this, which ... isn't blowing me away? As someone who has an Optomix v1 and RxMx, I'm a bit interested by your comment that you sold all your MN LPGs with no regrets. I mean, it sounds good and is certainly flexible. But as a MN guy, am I missing something?
I guess the best way I can put it is that for me NG is able to get close enough to what LxD and Optomix can do well, while also doing a bunch more, that makes NG much more interesting and versatile.

It might also be that NG sounds less... retro? It sounds to me more like a LPG made for this moment, as though it has the best of analog inventiveness, and also the best of modern manufacturing.

It's all down to taste, of course. If you like those MN modules, keep on going with them. I watched that video quite a while back, and I don't remember it all that well, but I do think there are more tricks up NG's sleeve than the classic LPG stuff that I remember being in that demo.
science
Spending Spree!

Post by science »

These things sound great from the demos I've heard. Hopefully it will be possible to order one at retail soon, rather than paying someone hundreds over retail for a used module.
rafyc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rafyc »

I have to wait 6 moth :(
Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis »

So when are preorders going up for the next batch? Have some regrets selling my NG, and recenty snagged a Cs-L again, which was almost always patched to the NG.... thinking I need an NG now too haha.
Scatre
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Scatre »

Also waiting for the next

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”