Animal Factory Amplification

New Hosted Sub-Forum. Check it out here:
Not exactly a new manufacturer but new to us. Check out their pedal and eurorack product and extend them a welcome all the way to Mumbai!

Rabid Elephant NATURAL GATE

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, Kent, Joe., luketeaford

Nutritional Zero
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Rabid Elephant NATURAL GATE

Post by Nutritional Zero »

Yo what order number are we up to?
Nutritional Zero
Veteran Wiggler

The existence of customs, duties, and brokerage for small cross-border shipments in 2022 is a disgrace. What the fuck are these bean counters actually worried about? I have too many cigarettes in my suitcase or maybe I’m shipping iPads into South Africa to try to make a buck? All that is literally how capitalism works.

If you are a module maker and you want someone to register a Canadian company as a subsidiary of your own so that moving gear counts as an intra-company transfer I’ll do it. It’s easier and cheaper to register a company and do the paperwork than it is to get a module from New York to Montreal.
Nutritional Zero
Veteran Wiggler

UPS needs a fucking class-action lawsuit and I’m down.
cbm
Eardrill

Post by cbm »

Nutritional Zero wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:12 pm The existence of customs, duties, and brokerage for small cross-border shipments in 2022 is a disgrace. What the fuck are these bean counters actually worried about? I have too many cigarettes in my suitcase or maybe I’m shipping iPads into South Africa to try to make a buck? All that is literally how capitalism works.

If you are a module maker and you want someone to register a Canadian company as a subsidiary of your own so that moving gear counts as an intra-company transfer I’ll do it. It’s easier and cheaper to register a company and do the paperwork than it is to get a module from New York to Montreal.
It's not UPS/DHL/FedEx's fault is it?. They are obeying the law of the land. A Canadian subsidiary would still have to collect duties on imported goods, wouldn't they?

At any rate, there have been no more reported shippings since the batch last week. I'm hoping to see some more reports this week, but I'm not feeling too confidant that's going to happen.
Chris Muir
Eardrill Archive - http://www.eardrill.com (on permanent vacation)
studioutopia
Ultra Wiggler

Post by studioutopia »

Nutritional Zero wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:12 pm The existence of customs, duties, and brokerage for small cross-border shipments in 2022 is a disgrace. What the fuck are these bean counters actually worried about? I have too many cigarettes in my suitcase or maybe I’m shipping iPads into South Africa to try to make a buck? All that is literally how capitalism works.

There are no duties on products coming from USA to Canada. Only HST, PST and or GST - depending on the province. These are provincially mandated taxes that you pay on all products - no matter if you bought it from Nightlife in Vancouver, Moog Audio in Montreal - or somewhere in the States. And the modest $15 brokerage (ie. administrative handling fee) DHL just charged us is annoying but understandable considering the bureaucracy of getting things across the border. You don't pay this with USPS/CanadaPost, and this is reflected in the time it takes to get an item over the border. My Natural Gate arrive in 3 business days via DHL - that would never happen with the handoff between USPS/CanadaPost.
I used to deal with a brokerage firm that would allow me to do my own paperwork, and charged $5 to use their brokerage license, and I would gladly pay DHL $15 to do that BS for me.
Your idea to register a Canadian (or any country) company as a subsidiary of a US firm to avoid taxes would never work... there is no such thing as an intra-company transfer without tax implications, and the declarations to the receiving country (brokerage) that are there to protect your national economic interests.
Nutritional Zero
Veteran Wiggler

That's good information. I'm glad I didn't actually try it then.
adicembre
Learning to Wiggle

Post by adicembre »

Nobody’s NG shipped this week, huh?
cbm
Eardrill

Post by cbm »

adicembre wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:32 pm Nobody’s NG shipped this week, huh?
Not that has been reported here. I'm now thinking that they built up a shop's full of them, shipped them, and are now building up another shop's full of them, to ship (hopefully) next month some time.

I hope I'm wrong, and that shipments resume next week, but I'm not counting on it.
Chris Muir
informationsource
Common Wiggler

Post by informationsource »

Not sure at exactly what point in the last week the preorders closed, but: preorders closed. Oh well, maybe in 2024.
ℹ︎ BC | ℹ︎ SC | ℹ︎ MG

More ℹ︎ to come!
closedLoop
Veteran Wiggler

Post by closedLoop »

cbm wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:40 pm Not that has been reported here. I'm now thinking that they built up a shop's full of them, shipped them, and are now building up another shop's full of them, to ship (hopefully) next month some time.

I hope I'm wrong, and that shipments resume next week, but I'm not counting on it.
I should be in the next batch, and I haven't heard anything yet other than the ask to update my shipping address if it had changed since ordering.

I'm only at the 2 month mark since ordering, with a 2-3 month estimate on ordering, so I don't feel even slightly annoyed. My only annoyance is with myself, because I sold off my LxD and Optomix to justify the price of the Natural Gate. I only have passive LPGs right now.
aadamm
Common Wiggler

Post by aadamm »

Here's my best results so far: splitting Osiris out multed to both channels, triggered by separate patterns and panned spatially, joystick to Osiris Wave X and Y, channels a bit open.
cbm
Eardrill

Post by cbm »

aadamm wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:16 am Here's my best results so far: splitting Osiris out multed to both channels, triggered by separate patterns and panned spatially, joystick to Osiris Wave X and Y, channels a bit open.
Did you mean to add a link to something here?
Chris Muir
aadamm
Common Wiggler

Post by aadamm »

Ah, no, was just describing it. I see how saying "here's [...]" made it sound otherwise, my bad.
JacoPastorius
Common Wiggler

Post by JacoPastorius »

has anybody looked at a spectrum analysis of the natural gate? I'm curious what the cut-off frequency is when it is fully open. I'm assuming it is not 20khz because there isn't much of a reason for a LPG to open that wide IMO.
moustachioed
Common Wiggler

Post by moustachioed »

JacoPastorius wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:05 am has anybody looked at a spectrum analysis of the natural gate? I'm curious what the cut-off frequency is when it is fully open. I'm assuming it is not 20khz because there isn't much of a reason for a LPG to open that wide IMO.
Here are the results of my rigorous scientific testing :hihi:

The setup: Some white noise, multed. Red is original, orange is white noise through the NG with OPEN slider fully open, white is original white noise through a 2 pole low pass filter at ~4 kHz.

With the CTRL trimmer zeroed (green CTRL Zero Indicator LED is on):
ng_white_noise_zeroed.png
Matches the low pass filter pretty well.

With the CTRL trimmer fully open:
ng_white_noise_fully_open.png
Same as unfiltered white noise.
texturerama
Veteran Wiggler

Post by texturerama »

moustachioed wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:17 pm
JacoPastorius wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:05 am has anybody looked at a spectrum analysis of the natural gate? I'm curious what the cut-off frequency is when it is fully open. I'm assuming it is not 20khz because there isn't much of a reason for a LPG to open that wide IMO.
Here are the results of my rigorous scientific testing :hihi:

The setup: Some white noise, multed. Red is original, orange is white noise through the NG with OPEN slider fully open, white is original white noise through a 2 pole low pass filter at ~4 kHz.

With the CTRL trimmer zeroed (green CTRL Zero Indicator LED is on):
ng_white_noise_zeroed.png
Matches the low pass filter pretty well.

With the CTRL trimmer fully open:
ng_white_noise_fully_open.png
Same as unfiltered white noise.
So helpful! Thanks!
moustachioed
Common Wiggler

Post by moustachioed »

I played around with this some more. The static cutoff is around 4 kHz, as I showed above, but due to the "memory" of the NG the cutoff changes with repeated hits. Goes to roughly 8 kHz for 120 bpm 8th notes and 12 kHz for 120 bpm 16th notes, for example. But it does not match a simple 2-pole low pass anymore, there is some frequency-dependent behaviour going on with the memory. As this is not static behaviour, I did not take any screen caps, but I can maybe do a short video if there is interest.
Last edited by moustachioed on Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moustachioed
Common Wiggler

Post by moustachioed »

Sorry, double post...
analogbrainsurgeon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by analogbrainsurgeon »

moustachioed wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:09 pm I played around with this some more. The static cutoff is around 4 kHz, as I showed above, but due to the "memory" of the NG the cutoff changes with repeated hits. Goes to roughly 8 kHz for 120 bpm 8th notes and 12 kHz for 120 bpm 16th notes, for example. But it does not match a simple 2-pole low pass anymore, there is some frequency-dependent behaviour going on with the memory. As this is not static behaviour, I did not take any screen caps, but I can maybe do a short video if there is interest.
Interesting! I've wondered what they meant by "memory," other than it gets louder with more hits.
JacoPastorius
Common Wiggler

Post by JacoPastorius »

moustachioed wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:09 pm I played around with this some more. The static cutoff is around 4 kHz, as I showed above, but due to the "memory" of the NG the cutoff changes with repeated hits. Goes to roughly 8 kHz for 120 bpm 8th notes and 12 kHz for 120 bpm 16th notes, for example. But it does not match a simple 2-pole low pass anymore, there is some frequency-dependent behaviour going on with the memory. As this is not static behaviour, I did not take any screen caps, but I can maybe do a short video if there is interest.
this is all wonderful info, thank you for taking the time to do all of this. The memory effect is a very interesting addition - so simple you think it would be an obvious thing to include, but you don't see it in any other LPG. I saw in the manual that the decay scales inversely to incoming pitch. how apparent is this in your use of it - is it something subtle that you don't think about/notice or is it an obvious part of the magic? this is something interesting but not so obvious to include, so i would love to hear about people's perspective on that feature.
cbm
Eardrill

Post by cbm »

The Natural Gate page now says this at the top:
The pre-order window is currently closed. We will finish off shipping the remaining pre-orders in the next week or so, then will open another pre-order.
I sure hope they resume shipping next week.
Chris Muir
neumedi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by neumedi »

Seriously contemplating getting in line for a second... the combination of sound with flexibility is just awe-inspiring. Here's a patch messing around with various Natural Gate settings and Belgrad settings (Belgrad through Natural Gate):

Youtube channel with various etudes and patch experiments:

https://www.youtube.com/user/mikeleuz
BLogic12
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BLogic12 »

neumedi wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 12:04 pm Seriously contemplating getting in line for a second... the combination of sound with flexibility is just awe-inspiring. Here's a patch messing around with various Natural Gate settings and Belgrad settings (Belgrad through Natural Gate):

Nice, I see you have blades there, that’s a great one for pinging as well!
cbm
Eardrill

Post by cbm »

At this point, I wonder if we'll have to wait until after Superbooth for the rest of the pre-orders to ship?
Chris Muir
adicembre
Learning to Wiggle

Post by adicembre »

cbm wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:29 am At this point, I wonder if we'll have to wait until after Superbooth for the rest of the pre-orders to ship?
I bet you’re right. Pain.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”