Voting open for your top 3 tracks in our Odd Meter Remix/ReMangle/Reimagine Challenge

Prizes generously donated by:
ADDAC System (Eurorack 3U)
Endorphin.es (Eurorack 3U)
Fred's Lab (DIY Paraphonic Synth)
Northern Light Modular (Buchla-format h-series OR Eurorack3U)
Rattly and Raw (Wiggler Approved Kontakt Instrument)
Studio.h (Buchla-format 4U)

Get your vote on and free 42 minute modular playlist for your listening pleasure.

XOR electronics NerdSEQ - eurorack tracker/sampler

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Re: XOR electronics NerdSEQ - eurorack tracker/sampler

Post by firestARTer » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:20 pm

liquid_bard wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:07 pm
Wait, I'm confused.. geremyf seems to say these things are in nerdseq.. or is he talking about elektron? I just today stared at my rack trying to figure out if I could somehow patch up a ~10% trigger that, if it fired, would increase the likelyhood of itself triggering on the next step (and then drop to 10% again after next firing). My best go so far includes multing to a sequential switch and some offsets that control pam's probability, but my main issue is that the use I was aiming for was precisely to control the switch, so I'd need another switch just to... anway, if this is built into nerdseq (and someone mentioned the possibility of a programming language?), that'll just move it.. well, honestly, it moves it from a sure buy already to still a sure buy, but.. well :)
Hmm... I am thinking of the Add to last FX command with which you can say like increase the last Trigger probability with X percent. That being triggered by a trigger, I am not sure if that would work directly....however, thinking a bit around...that should indeed be possible using a table, patch the trigger out to one of the CV in (sice that can be used to progress a table step) and in the table you add this command which would get you the same effect.... Just an idea and I guess it might be possible. (brings me directly to the idea to make it possible to progress tables also from internal trigger events)
NerdSEQ - one of the most advanced Eurorack Sequencers
https://www.xor-electronics.com

geremyf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by geremyf » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:20 pm

I think you could accomplish it with 10% in row probability and then add 10% to row probability in one of the other FX columns if the row executes. I'm not sure how you would reset it back to 10%...I don't think there are comparison commands....

liquid_bard
Learning to Wiggle

Post by liquid_bard » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:49 am

Hm.. sounds like it'll be easier (and more controllable), at least, than what I cooked up.

DJ Tap Water
Common Wiggler

Post by DJ Tap Water » Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:05 am

firestARTer wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:07 pm
DJ Tap Water wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:56 am
firestARTer wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:00 pm
You could also use a table to create triggers that for example only play every 2nd time or so.
I don’t know exactly how conditional triggers work with the elektron boxes, but I guess it is something like this.
Your assumption is correct. Conditional trigs such as "play every other pass" or "play every 4 passes" etc are very powerful sequencing options which are made convenient to implement in the Elektron workflow. They are one of my favourite things about those boxes. It might be worth considering making these types of conditions for triggering available as FX.
It is simply impossible as there is not enough memory available for it. It would need for every step in every pattern (and probably every FX) some kind of a counter and a condition type (I assume they are different conditions needed).
However they are multiple possibilities to arrive similar functions.

Also beside that, I usually don't copy functions from other seqeuncers. It would be boring if all of them would do exactly the same things :mrgreen:
Cool! My nerdseq should arrive soon, im excited about the tables. Is there a way to quantise the pitch output on a per-track level to certain scales? That would allow you to modulate pitch with tables and still stay in the same key.

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:42 am

DJ Tap Water wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:05 am
firestARTer wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:07 pm
DJ Tap Water wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:56 am
firestARTer wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:00 pm
You could also use a table to create triggers that for example only play every 2nd time or so.
I don’t know exactly how conditional triggers work with the elektron boxes, but I guess it is something like this.
Your assumption is correct. Conditional trigs such as "play every other pass" or "play every 4 passes" etc are very powerful sequencing options which are made convenient to implement in the Elektron workflow. They are one of my favourite things about those boxes. It might be worth considering making these types of conditions for triggering available as FX.
It is simply impossible as there is not enough memory available for it. It would need for every step in every pattern (and probably every FX) some kind of a counter and a condition type (I assume they are different conditions needed).
However they are multiple possibilities to arrive similar functions.

Also beside that, I usually don't copy functions from other seqeuncers. It would be boring if all of them would do exactly the same things :mrgreen:
Cool! My nerdseq should arrive soon, im excited about the tables. Is there a way to quantise the pitch output on a per-track level to certain scales? That would allow you to modulate pitch with tables and still stay in the same key.
The tables got a quantize option and presets. But there is no main scaling to lock to a scale / chord etc yet. The quantize option is only for the tables now, but these can indeed be applied to each track individually.

mntbighker
Common Wiggler

Post by mntbighker » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:25 am

I'm trying to track down why my Octatrack mk2 sequencer is stopping for no apparent reason. Apparently it will stop if it gets a spurious midi CC A1, and at the moment the Nerdseq seems to be the likely candidate. I' have no midi tracks in use, and the NS is providing midi clock to Octatrack and Analog Rytm. The Analog Rytm is not stopping and I see no extra events in VCV Rack midi monitor. I have tried different midi cables.

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:25 am

mntbighker wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:25 am
I'm trying to track down why my Octatrack mk2 sequencer is stopping for no apparent reason. Apparently it will stop if it gets a spurious midi CC A1, and at the moment the Nerdseq seems to be the likely candidate. I' have no midi tracks in use, and the NS is providing midi clock to Octatrack and Analog Rytm. The Analog Rytm is not stopping and I see no extra events in VCV Rack midi monitor. I have tried different midi cables.
Can you record the midi data directly with your computer (also not through the octatrack) since with vcv rack or so the data might be filtered already.
They are multiple tools out there which can be used.
I don't expect that they are random CC data messages coming from the NerdSEQ. Clock /Start / Stop is the only data that the NerdSEQ sends out if enabled. Also A1 is very unlikely since this is a status byte (aftertouch) and this is not a CC.

I also just searched for it and saw some posts about that issue with different combinations. One solutions seems to be to turn overbridge off. But I don't know too much about the elektron gear to know exactly if that is related or not.

Also, support -> XOR Forum please. Here the chance is high that it could get lost in the thread or stays unseen.

mntbighker
Common Wiggler

Post by mntbighker » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:36 am

firestARTer wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:25 am
mntbighker wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:25 am
Can you record the midi data directly with your computer (also not through the octatrack) since with vcv rack or so the data might be filtered already.
They are multiple tools out there which can be used.
I don't expect that they are random CC data messages coming from the NerdSEQ. Clock /Start / Stop is the only data that the NerdSEQ sends out if enabled. Also A1 is very unlikely since this is a status byte (aftertouch) and this is not a CC.

I also just searched for it and saw some posts about that issue with different combinations. One solutions seems to be to turn overbridge off. But I don't know too much about the elektron gear to know exactly if that is related or not.

Also, support -> XOR Forum please. Here the chance is high that it could get lost in the thread or stays unseen.
I will work on getting the data recorded.

The Octatrack is connected via midi IN, not through. Same with the Analog Rytm. In fact the only midi out or through on the bus is the Nerdseq.

This was happening long before I even installed Overbridge (before I got the Analog Rytm). Octatrack has no Overbridge support.

DJ Tap Water
Common Wiggler

Post by DJ Tap Water » Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:36 am

Got this yesterday and having a blast. I didn't expect it ti surpass renoise in any areas but it does - the sequencer screen is really innovative, and tables are better than phrases. Is there a way to modulate parameters of an internal envelope with an internal LFO without the CV expander?

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:04 am

DJ Tap Water wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:36 am
Got this yesterday and having a blast. I didn't expect it ti surpass renoise in any areas but it does - the sequencer screen is really innovative, and tables are better than phrases. Is there a way to modulate parameters of an internal envelope with an internal LFO without the CV expander?
Nice to hear!
What you currently could do is to have several envelope FX in the fx columns (like for attack). Then you could use an LFO to overrule the FX column payload (FX overrule destination), so everytime the sequencer passes the step with the envelope FX, it will use the current LFO value for the attack level. For the rest, sounds like a good feature request idea for the xor forum to use an automator directly to manipulate envelope settings.

Ushijima
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Ushijima » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:04 am

Is it possible to disable FX effects and Tables per tracks and make them active only per patterns? When I active a table on one pattern it is ON for all my following patterns if I don't enter **

ch3oh
Common Wiggler

Post by ch3oh » Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:30 pm

Ushijima wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:04 am
Is it possible to disable FX effects and Tables per tracks and make them active only per patterns? When I active a table on one pattern it is ON for all my following patterns if I don't enter **
My solution to this was to have a blank template pattern with all these resets configured, which I would then copy everywhere and shift+ok to make a clone of it

mntbighker
Common Wiggler

Post by mntbighker » Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:08 pm

ch3oh wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:30 pm
Ushijima wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:04 am
My solution to this was to have a blank template pattern with all these resets configured, which I would then copy everywhere and shift+ok to make a clone of it
It shouldn't have but that went over my head. I see what you are getting at though.

kriskeyman
Common Wiggler

Post by kriskeyman » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:41 pm

Still new to the Nerdseq, but I've gone through the manual and cannot find a way to handle this logic in unit...

- track 1 contains 11-step pattern with bass drum
- track 2 contains 16-step pattern with bass synth

Sometimes the patterns overlap with a trigger on the same step, but I'm trying to find a way to have the bass synth not send a trigger out on track 2 when a bass drum trigger is present on track 1. I haven't found a straightforward way to do this, but with XOR being the name of the company, I'm sure I've overlooked something.
Last edited by kriskeyman on Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geremyf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by geremyf » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:35 pm

FYI, you can do this in the sample tracks with the SETW command in the FX columns. I requested that feature for sample choke and it was implemented very quickly. It could be a useful feature for use between tracks as well. You can read about the SETW command for sample choking here:

https://xor-electronics.com/forum/showt ... p?tid=1153

kriskeyman
Common Wiggler

Post by kriskeyman » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:41 pm

kriskeyman wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:41 pm
Still new to the Nerdseq, but I've gone through the manual and cannot find a way to handle this logic in unit...

- track 1 contains 11-step pattern with bass drum
- track 2 contains 16-step pattern with bass synth

Sometimes the patterns overlap with a trigger on the same step, but I'm trying to find a way to have the bass synth not send a trigger out on track 2 when a bass drum trigger is present on track 1. I haven't found a straightforward way to do this, but with XOR being the name of the company, I'm sure I've overlooked something.
I could envision this in the N3RD window of a track. Perhaps in Track Setup, having a Logic item in the column with a function selector on the right. With the ability to specify and monitor any combination of trigger outs for all tracks (at least on the main unit, but bonus to implement with trigger expander).

fadeddata
Common Wiggler

Post by fadeddata » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:05 pm

Maybe Logic could be an Automator type. It could monitor inputs, track triggers, also could look at CV and do “analog” style logic min/max.

Fyde
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Fyde » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:49 am

How does everyone handle having multiple modulations for a voice using the CV expander?
It would be great to be able to send CV to the expander from the effects of a modular track but that's not possible (yet?), is there a way to "tie" a modular track to a CV expander track? So if I start one the other one starts as well?
I know I can just press play on both of them but it's a bit cumbersome with even just a couple of voices.

vidret
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vidret » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:04 pm

fadeddata wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:05 pm
Maybe Logic could be an Automator type. It could monitor inputs, track triggers, also could look at CV and do “analog” style logic min/max.
i actually posted about this exact thing in the xor forums just a few days ago - it seems it's on the way! :goo:

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:34 pm

Fyde wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:49 am
How does everyone handle having multiple modulations for a voice using the CV expander?
It would be great to be able to send CV to the expander from the effects of a modular track but that's not possible (yet?), is there a way to "tie" a modular track to a CV expander track? So if I start one the other one starts as well?
I know I can just press play on both of them but it's a bit cumbersome with even just a couple of voices.
You can use the voice also from a CV16 track. (But not the other way around)
There is no option to tie a track, but you can start other tracks from the sequencer using FX commands.

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:37 pm

I heard that the XOR Electronics Webshop got 25% on most items (like the NerdSEQ and its' expanders) starting on friday.
Use coupon code: BF2021

https://xor-electronics.com/shop/
:nana:

mntbighker
Common Wiggler

Post by mntbighker » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:16 pm

CV16 tracks have cv columns. It looks to me like there are not FX methods to modulate them like a mod port? I worded that all wrong but hopefully you get the idea.

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:37 pm

mntbighker wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:16 pm
CV16 tracks have cv columns. It looks to me like there are not FX methods to modulate them like a mod port? I worded that all wrong but hopefully you get the idea.
They have CV columns basucally. You can use them also for envelopes, LFO's or combined with the CV (note or pitch).
You can use columns to be (local) triggers or manipulate the local CV. All functions can be manipulated via the FX columns and these include all effects that are possible for the local CV tracks.

mntbighker
Common Wiggler

Post by mntbighker » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:44 pm

I could not see anything but cv 1 thru 6 and mod 1 thru 6 for probability. Couldn't see options for cv16 1 thru 8 or 9 thru 16?

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:48 pm

mntbighker wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:44 pm
I could not see anything but cv 1 thru 6 and mod 1 thru 6 for probability. Couldn't see options for cv16 1 thru 8 or 9 thru 16?
Are you talking about the automators? I don't really know what you mean. :hmm:

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”