XOR electronics NerdSEQ - eurorack tracker/sampler

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

kriskeyman
Common Wiggler

Re: XOR electronics NerdSEQ - eurorack tracker/sampler

Post by kriskeyman » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:09 pm

A couple of questions…

1) If I assign the trigger expander to a track, what becomes of the regular CV, Trig & Mod outputs for the track on the main Nerdseq unit? Are those still available to use?

2) After assigning trigger expander to a track, why do I only have access to TR1-8 on the main pattern screen? It seems I can only access TR9-16 on the drum roll screen.

depaffect
Common Wiggler

Post by depaffect » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:57 pm

1. You can access all the CV, Trig and Mod outputs via FX tracks - so you can access them from *any* track, including your newly converted trigger track!

2. You need to set the track to TR1-8 or TR9-10. The main pattern screen can only give you 8 of the 16 tracks.

kriskeyman
Common Wiggler

Post by kriskeyman » Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:09 am

depaffect wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:57 pm
1. You can access all the CV, Trig and Mod outputs via FX tracks - so you can access them from *any* track, including your newly converted trigger track!

2. You need to set the track to TR1-8 or TR9-10. The main pattern screen can only give you 8 of the 16 tracks.
Thank you! :party:

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:22 am

kriskeyman wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:09 am
depaffect wrote:

Exactly. And don’t forget that you can use one expander on multiple tracks. So you could have triggers 1..8 on one and 9-16 on another. Or indeed all from one track with the drummatrix..or a mix of it
NerdSEQ - one of the most advanced Eurorack Sequencers
https://www.xor-electronics.com

kriskeyman
Common Wiggler

Post by kriskeyman » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:19 pm

firestARTer wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:22 am
kriskeyman wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:09 am
depaffect wrote:

Exactly. And don’t forget that you can use one expander on multiple tracks. So you could have triggers 1..8 on one and 9-16 on another. Or indeed all from one track with the drummatrix..or a mix of it
This module is blowing my mind. Best purchase ever. It has opened so many doors for my euro system. And I feel like I’ve only learned 10% of its capabilities… if that. Thank you! 🙏

vidret
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vidret » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:49 am

bought one this monday, sitting here looking at the tracking. the mail kind, unfortunately.

I just realized there's always been a pretty good deal every black friday and thinking I should've waited, but damn I'm not sure I could've waited :lol:

a couple of quick questions:

1)
If I input an external cv and assign one of the cv tracks out to be quantized, can I run the cv through it like a quantizer, perhaps using only one step with a table as the quantizer?
It seems I should be able to do this, but I'm not sure if it has to be recorded first, but if I would set it to one step it would practically be live.

2)
Is there any info on how to put/organize samples on there?
I'm assuming I plug the SD card into the computer and drag and drop some .wav files, correct?

3)
could I set one of the audio outputs to just give me white noise, no matter whether the sequencer is playing or not - or does everything always stop when you press shift+stop?

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:58 am

vidret wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:49 am
bought one this monday, sitting here looking at the tracking. the mail kind, unfortunately.

I just realized there's always been a pretty good deal every black friday and thinking I should've waited, but damn I'm not sure I could've waited :lol:

a couple of quick questions:

1)
If I input an external cv and assign one of the cv tracks out to be quantized, can I run the cv through it like a quantizer, perhaps using only one step with a table as the quantizer?
It seems I should be able to do this, but I'm not sure if it has to be recorded first, but if I would set it to one step it would practically be live.

2)
Is there any info on how to put/organize samples on there?
I'm assuming I plug the SD card into the computer and drag and drop some .wav files, correct?

3)
could I set one of the audio outputs to just give me white noise, no matter whether the sequencer is playing or not - or does everything always stop when you press shift+stop?
1) I think that is not possible to use it as a quantizer using the tables from the live input. That mainly because the tables do transpose the current or last played note/sequence. And if a CV input is just passed through (even quantized) there is no note playing.
You can use it to transpose the output though.

2) Yes, wave files into the sample folder. And best, sort them and use subfolders there.

3) Yes you can. The oscillators (also the noise one) work like oscillators and keep playing even though the sequencer is stopped. You can stop these by double stop. (stop with a stopped sequencer stops all audio)

vidret
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vidret » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:06 am

quick answers, thank you. regarding this:
firestARTer wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:58 am

The output from the actual sequence will be quantized but the input will be simply an unquantized transpose, correct?

Either way, this is great. The oscillators just running is perfect. :hail:

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:08 am

vidret wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:06 am
quick answers, thank you. regarding this:
firestARTer wrote:

The output from the actual sequence will be quantized but the input will be simply an unquantized transpose, correct?

Either way, this is great. The oscillators just running is perfect. :hail:
Exactly, unquantized transpose. (while 5 volt is the middle point = non-transposed)

vidret
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vidret » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:06 am

firestARTer wrote:
vidret wrote:

1)
1) I think that is not possible to use it as a quantizer using the tables from the live input. That mainly because the tables do transpose the current or last played note/sequence. And if a CV input is just passed through (even quantized) there is no note playing.
I received it today, it's the absolute bomb :yay:

In regards to my above post (and subsequent answer) it can indeed do quantizing like I thought with the one step and recording active.

set a pattern to one step, record to the pattern (set this track to very fast clock for better results), put a table on that one step and that's your quantizer right there, since it's recording very fast.
Record to that cv in etc.

I'm sure what you meant was that it can't quantize a live input, but this is basically a live input when the steps move so fast. works great with my planar :party:

Karl_Joseph
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Karl_Joseph » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:52 am

vidret wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:06 am
firestARTer wrote:
vidret wrote:

1)
I received it today, it's the absolute bomb :yay:

In regards to my above post (and subsequent answer) it can indeed do quantizing like I thought with the one step and recording active.

set a pattern to one step, record to the pattern (set this track to very fast clock for better results), put a table on that one step and that's your quantizer right there, since it's recording very fast.
Record to that cv in etc.

I'm sure what you meant was that it can't quantize a live input, but this is basically a live input when the steps move so fast. works great with my planar :party:
I’m going to have to try this!

I wonder if you can take that CV output and feed it back in to another live input to record the resulting sequence to another track?
- KARL

vidret
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vidret » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:27 pm

Yeah probably, but in that case you might as well record it to a 64 step sequence from the start right?

Not sure how it’ll ‘play’ live in that case, if you want to first play with it and then have that recorded. Will test.

liquid_bard
Learning to Wiggle

Post by liquid_bard » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:21 pm

Hi, I've been looking at getting this for a while, but does anyone know anything about the USB midi expander for this that's teased on the shop page for the video expander?

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:34 pm

liquid_bard wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:21 pm
Hi, I've been looking at getting this for a while, but does anyone know anything about the USB midi expander for this that's teased on the shop page for the video expander?
I do :lol:

liquid_bard
Learning to Wiggle

Post by liquid_bard » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:29 pm

Haha, I'm sorry, I'm new, though I read through the thread a little while back, and I couldn't remember seeing anything about it, but your answer makes me think you maybe already said something about it and I just missed it because it maybe wasn't front of mind at the time. I was mainly curious about an approximate release date, which might influence whether I go for the seq now or if I get another vco first to actually be able to utilize it better when I do go for it.

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:44 pm

liquid_bard wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:29 pm
Haha, I'm sorry, I'm new, though I read through the thread a little while back, and I couldn't remember seeing anything about it, but your answer makes me think you maybe already said something about it and I just missed it because it maybe wasn't front of mind at the time. I was mainly curious about an approximate release date, which might influence whether I go for the seq now or if I get another vco first to actually be able to utilize it better when I do go for it.
Ah yes, sorry I am kidding a bit.

I suggest you go for the oscillator at first and jump on the train later this year. If all goes well, then the USB midi ones will be launched by the end of the year.
About what it is capable of...USB Midi Host, USB Midi Device, TRS-A Midi in/out, 2x I2C and some more specialties. That all in 6HP.

I 'might' bring a unit to superbooth! :woah:

I leave mostly some hints on the XOR Forum :nana:

liquid_bard
Learning to Wiggle

Post by liquid_bard » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:11 pm

Nice, thanks! I'm looking forward to adding this, it'll be like a mix of nostalgia and a huge power boost to my system, I think. :)

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:36 pm

firestARTer wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:44 pm
I 'might' bring a unit to superbooth! :woah:
Oh come on now, don't be like that! Checking out the i2c expander on your booth is my #1 priority in SB21, it would be extremely disappointing if you didn't bring it at all!
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Fuzzy
1-Post Wiggler

Post by Fuzzy » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:11 pm

Have recently bought a Nerdseq. Love it... Just wish the more video expander weren't so pricey at £200... Might have to mug a granny for it. The prospect of sitting back with a gamepad and editing on a big screen is very alluring. Ha - if I plug in a keyboard as well though, it will kind if feel like I should have just bought a tracker program for my pc and used an ES3 or something instead.

Karl_Joseph
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Karl_Joseph » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:54 pm

Fuzzy wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:11 pm
Have recently bought a Nerdseq. Love it... Just wish the more video expander weren't so pricey at £200... Might have to mug a granny for it. The prospect of sitting back with a gamepad and editing on a big screen is very alluring. Ha - if I plug in a keyboard as well though, it will kind if feel like I should have just bought a tracker program for my pc and used an ES3 or something instead.
Welcome! NerdSEQ with video I/o on the big screen with a QWERTY at the helm is the ultimate in modular sequencing luxury. Save up your quids!
- KARL

vidret
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vidret » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:25 am

Fuzzy wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:11 pm
Full circle :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let me take a sec to voice my early impressions of having had this thing for almost two weeks, FYI I have a 6U case.

My fear when buying it, as someone else here mentioned, was that I'd start making 8-bit video game music once I got it, which is certainly not the case. :lol:

I did however start sequencing all of master of puppets on it as a learning experience. I'm at the first solo now.

The very large unforeseen PROs of this thing were the samples, LFO/Envelopes and built in oscillators.

I was thinking I didn't want to replace my cool stuff with 'boring' built in envelopes and oscillators, but it was more like I freed up my other stuff to take care of the most interesting/playable parts.
Usually If I wanted a bunch of envelopes I'd have to decide, for instance, that Just Friends was now an envelope module, because without it I only had maths, and this meant trading in a very cool oscillator instead.
Now I can do the 'standard' envelopes out of this thing and use the envelopes of maths and JF for the most interesting parts of a patch that I want to immediately play with.

Same thing with the oscillators really, I used to have to ration my VCO's, perhaps one of them needed to be a kick or do modulation of the other or noise etc, but then I couldn't layer another part up top.

Now I just go nuts and find what I like, and if I really want an arpeggio on top of all of that I can grab an oscillator from the nerdseq.

The LFO pairs so very well with sequencing everything when you want to add your standard vibrato or tremolo for instance, you just route it out of the CV output and there it is - the precision in amplitude and offset is awesome for getting those nice subtle warbles. Something that is otherwise a test of patience when it comes to nudging your CV attenuation to not go too far, but not sit at zero.

And the samples. My glob, I can just call upon a drum kit whenever I want to, instead of saving a VCO for the kick. And I haven't even gotten into the recording. And the insane speed of communication from Mr XOR himself - I found a bug while doing some very weird stuff and it was fixed the very next day.

But yeah the sequencer is pretty cool too I guess :yay:

Possible CONs that are difficult to judge yet are;

Since this opened up my small case to doing so much stuff it is now so INCREDIBLY integral to the process that it's hard to not control a lot of factors from the screen. Good thing then that the screen is very good and the buttons are large enough. I am however quite sure that my old sequencers were also very important to the process, and instead I just used them for far simpler things and left them at that to instead play with the rest.

There's also this initial period when I know what I want and I have to figure it out the first time, there's a lot of first times in this thing, so I can't really judge this yet. I'm hoping that once I have everything down it will not become the absolute focus of the case (although I'm quite sure you could build a case with just this in it).

I'm totally digging this thing, it certainly has taken my case to the next level, but I do understand the idea that this may just be too strong for eurorack - personally I'm very excited to be able to easily being able to take a patch onwards after having set the initial stage.
This was usually the issue with other sequences or ways of going about building a patch (for me), I'd get to this point where it sounds great, but I can't make meaningful transitions. I always used to have to find tricks and ways to keep things interesting, and although that in itself does make things creative and interesting there was a very real limit to how far I could take things.

With this thing I just create a new pattern and keep going, the fear being that I no longer do these creative tricks since I might not need to.

overall, it's an incredible piece of kit. screensaver's good too :hail: :yay:

thanks for coming to my XOR talk.

kriskeyman
Common Wiggler

Post by kriskeyman » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:18 pm

I’m trying to get my head around the CV16 expander. Looking at the manual, there are 6 CV columns available. And each of those columns can be assigned to a CV output. If the 6 columns are assigned to 6 CV outputs on the expander, how do I make use of the other 10 outputs on the expander?

optiprime8
Learning to Wiggle

Post by optiprime8 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:07 am

kriskeyman wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:18 pm
I’m trying to get my head around the CV16 expander. Looking at the manual, there are 6 CV columns available. And each of those columns can be assigned to a CV output. If the 6 columns are assigned to 6 CV outputs on the expander, how do I make use of the other 10 outputs on the expander?
Each track has 8 CV outputs, you assign the expander to 2 different tracks to access all 16 expander outputs.

kriskeyman
Common Wiggler

Post by kriskeyman » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:47 pm

optiprime8 wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:07 am
kriskeyman wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:18 pm
Each track has 8 CV outputs, you assign the expander to 2 different tracks to access all 16 expander outputs.
Thank you. Spent more time with the manual and totally figured this out. Very cool that you can even set the sample tracks to use the expander modules.

skylab001
Common Wiggler

Post by skylab001 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:16 am

I am trying to understand something about the FX Columns. I'm a bit stuck in the Elektron mindset where you put a lock on step one, it only locks a parameter for step one, and the locked parameter then returns to its original programmed state for every other step. So lets use probability for my example, in the NerdSEQ what I'm finding is that if I put probability of 50% on step one, then every following step will inherit that probability of 50% until I place a probability of 100% on a following step. If you turn on FX then you must always have a step where it turns off or resets to default? Is that correct?

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”