XOR electronics NerdSEQ - eurorack tracker/sampler

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:00 am

firestARTer wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:42 am
Exactly, the NerdSEQ runs at 24ppqn internally which would mean 6 equal ticks per step. 4 step would usually be a full note (if you set the gate and/or change the note on the first step and stop it after the 4th step) if the groove is all set to 6. Half a note would be set on the first, reset after the 2nd etc.. Quarter note would be just on one step. Longer notes...just as you want, you can create the notelengths like you want to and they are no real limits. Shorter notes would indeed utilize either half gates or with the tables and there you could create even shorter notes/gates.
Wait, if it's running at 24ppqn, then at 6 ticks per step (the default) x 4 steps = 24 ticks = one quarter note, so not one full note. Correct?

I've noticed that on your post you refer to a single step of Groove:6 as a quarter note. So I'm a bit confused as I'd assume it's a 16th note :hmm:

I am aware of BRK, and pattern chaining, islands, etc. I did do my research, I'm just trying to understand what's possible within a single pattern as I'm trying to understand exactly what can be done using Groove. From the manual and most videos, Groove is mostly used to change the swing, but to my understanding it's possible to define the length of each steps. I want to know how far it can go.

You do lose steps inside a pattern if you need to use more than one step from the available 64 to create longer notes by extending the gate. But again, let's not talk about gate lengths, I get how that part works, what I'm focusing on is step lengths: how many ticks it will take for the Nerdseq to move through a full pattern of 64 steps if I change the Groove values.

Just to clear things up: the module is not limited by this M.O, I'm not talking about limitations at all, I'm fully aware of workarounds in order to create longer patterns and how this translates to sending out gates etc. But contrary to your post, the way I understand it the largest step value (excuse me, I used the term note previously although I should be saying steps) which would translate to a typical musical note duration is a quarter note at 24 ticks (yes 32 ticks are possible but do not translate to a typical musical note duration). Am I correct?

Granted, I can use clock dividers per track, which would allow for larger divisions, but that is on a track level, whereas I'm trying to understand what is possible within a single pattern of 64 steps.
Again, let me be frank, I understand there are various ways to get larger note durations by using more than one step, etc.

Thank you for your time. Since the Nerseq can be really detailed, it's good to have some understanding of its "core" functionality; the smallest structure is the pattern, and knowing what can be done in a single pattern with just the Pitch and Groove columns is very important for me as a basis.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:27 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:00 am
Wait, if it's running at 24ppqn, then at 6 ticks per step (the default) x 4 steps = 24 ticks = one quarter note, so not one full note. Correct?
No, one step needs 6 ticks with a groove of 6. This is a quarter note. A full note would be at 4 steps (4/4) which needs 24 ticks. A full pattern of 64 steps needs 384 ticks. But that with the most basic setting.
I am aware of BRK, and pattern chaining, islands, etc. I did do my research, I'm just trying to understand what's possible within a single pattern as I'm trying to understand exactly what can be done using Groove. From the manual and most videos, Groove is mostly used to change the swing, but to my understanding it's possible to define the length of each steps. I want to know how far it can go.
Yes, but keep in mind that this is really advanced stuff and it is already very deep explaining the basics in the videos (which are outdated anyway...there is much more possible and they will be updated).
You do lose steps inside a pattern if you need to use more than one step from the available 64 to create longer notes by extending the gate. But again, let's not talk about gate lengths, I get how that part works, what I'm focusing on is step lengths: how many ticks it will take for the Nerdseq to move through a full pattern of 64 steps if I mess around with the Groove.
Why do you lose the steps? You choose the note and or gate at one step, and at any other step you change the note or gate. You can do anything in between these steps. Not losing anything.
In the most simple way:
00 C-4
01 --- -> do anything else here
02 --- -> do anything else here
03 --- -> do anything else here
04 [ ] -> do anything else here (and this can even be placed on 03 in the trigger column if you want to use 04 for anything else.
Beside the notes then, also effects and stuff can be changed etc within all of these steps...
Just to clear things up: the module is not limited by this M.O, I'm not talking about limitations at all, I'm fully aware of workarounds in order to create longer patterns etc. But contrary to your post, the way I understand it the largest step value (excuse me, I used the term note previously) which would translate to a typical musical note duration is a quarter note at 24 ticks (yes 32 ticks are possible but do not translate to a typical musical note duration). Am I correct?
Chaining patterns is not a workaround but a very basic function. Just to get to what you want to say...you wouldn't try to put a full note only within one step (which would be a groove of 24), then indeed you limit yourself and you possibly destroy timings with all other gear connected. The nice part is that you indeed can do it, and this for each track independently. And if you do it, the tables could still take care for any manipulations within this 'long' step.(or from other tracks)
Granted, I can use clock dividers per track, which would allow for larger divisions, but that is on a track level, whereas I'm trying to understand what is possible within a single pattern of 64 steps.
You can use clock dividers (and multipliers) per track. But keep in mind that it can't get better than the 24ppqn. So multipliers with low groove settings will at some point combine ticks and so the step would be fine, the resolution within the step could be odd.
Thank you for your time. Since the Nerseq can be really detailed, it's good to have some understanding of its "core" functionality; the smallest structure is the pattern, and knowing what can be done in a single pattern with just the Pitch and Groove columns is very important for me as a basis.
I hope it makes sense in a way. You can get very deep if you want to.
NerdSEQ - one of the most advanced Eurorack Sequencers
https://www.xor-electronics.com

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:03 am

firestARTer wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:27 am
No, one step needs 6 ticks with a groove of 6. This is a quarter note. A full note would be at 4 steps (4/4) which needs 24 ticks. A full pattern of 64 steps needs 384 ticks. But that with the most basic setting.
Ha! That's weird. How is it 24 pulses per quarter note (ppqn) if it needs 6 ticks for a quarter note :hihi: It can't be both!
You obviously know what you're talking about, but something is amiss with our use of the terms.

Is it that it's 24ppqn internally, but a Groove of 6 is seen as a quarter note and the fact that it's 24 ticks is hidden? I mean, that would make sense, as you can go on a quite higher fidelity using Tables.

Thank you for clarifying this, it might be unimportant to most people but I do want to understand.
Why do you lose the steps? You choose the note and or gate at one step, and at any other step you change the note or gate. You can do anything in between these steps. Not losing anything.
In the most simple way:
00 C-4
04 [ ] -> do anything else here (and this can even be placed on 03 in the trigger column if you want to use 04 for anything else.
Beside the notes then, also effects and stuff can be changed etc within all of these steps...
Ok, we're getting lost in translation, so please allow me to try to explain what I mean by "lose" as it reads like a criticism or a limitation, when it is not.
In a pattern you have 64 steps. If I want to have 64 events, but I want to use Groove to change how long each event lasts, and I want to define my durations with standard musical note durations (16ths, 8ths, etc), based on your definition of a quarter note as a Groove of 6, the largest standard note duration I can get is a full note at 24th ticks, correct?

I'm going with your definition of Groove of 6 as a quarter note.
Screenshot_3.png
Screenshot_3.png (7.05 KiB) Viewed 1449 times
Remember, I want to have a single pattern, use all 64 steps, and only utilize Groove to change how long each step lasts. Again, I'm trying to understand what is possible using Groove as it's not explained to the fullest extent on the documentation and/or videos and I think it's an essential element of creating phrases.

I don't care for gates, triggers, tables, etc on this specific example. My focus is on Groove on a single pattern.

Absolutely, and the music I usually make is very oriented in non-standard timing and generally I tend to not use modules in a very typical way. Hence my questions; it is important that I get a grasp of the fundamentals so I can build upon those. To bring us back to our previous discussion, between the Teletype, the Melisma, a VCMC, and Nerdseq on a single case, the sky is the limit in terms of sequencing. I can't wait to get mine, so thank you for taking the time to clarify some things that I've found obscure. I honestly try to find answers to my questions before asking so I hope these questions help other people who like to dig deep.

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:17 am

Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:03 am
firestARTer wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:27 am
Ha! That's weird. How is it 24 pulses per quarter note (ppqn) if it needs 6 ticks for a quarter note :hihi: It can't be both!
You obviously know what you're talking about, but something is amiss with our use of the terms.

Is it that it's 24ppqn internally, but a Groove of 6 is seen as a quarter note and the fact that it's 24 ticks is hidden? I mean, that would make sense, as you can go on a quite higher fidelity using Tables.

Thank you for clarifying this, it might be unimportant to most people but I do want to understand.
In the most simple way:
00 C-4
Ok, we're getting lost in translation, so please allow me to try to explain what I mean by "lose" as it reads like a criticism or a limitation, when it is not.
In a pattern you have 64 steps. If I want to have 64 events, but I want to use Groove to change how long each event lasts, and I want to define my durations with standard musical note durations (16ths, 8ths, etc), based on your definition of a quarter note as a Groove of 6, the largest standard note duration I can get is a full note at 24th ticks, correct?

I'm going with your definition of Groove of 6 as a quarter note.

Screenshot_3.png

Remember, I want to have a single pattern, use all 64 steps, and only utilize Groove to change how long each step lasts. Again, I'm trying to understand what is possible using Groove as it's not explained to the fullest extent on the documentation and/or videos and I think it's an essential element of creating phrases.

I don't care for gates, triggers, tables, etc on this specific example. My focus is on Groove on a single pattern.

Absolutely, and the music I usually make is very oriented in non-standard timing and generally I tend to not use modules in a very typical way. Hence my questions; it is important that I get a grasp of the fundamentals so I can build upon those. To bring us back to our previous discussion, between the Teletype, the Melisma, a VCMC, and Nerdseq on a single case, the sky is the limit in terms of sequencing. I can't wait to get mine, so thank you for taking the time to clarify some things. I honestly try to find answers to my questions before asking so I hope they help other people who like to dig deep.
Oh I think I am too deep concentrated with other stuff right now (being the video expander).
24ppqn = 24 ticks per quarter note, of course. Gives you 1/16 note for each step (if the groove is set to 6).

Internally these 6 groove ticks are hidden but they are used for many timing related stuff. That is a big difference to many step sequencers where 1 tick is one step. (and to be fair, many advanced sequencers run also at 24ppqn or higher)

Still, given the fact you would use the groove to get longer steps, you can manipulate the in between ticks/parts with tables for example. And keep in mind, this groove settings can be different to each pattern/track. And also you can cross manipulate between tracks.
But yes, if you only see the steps, then there is one information for each column that you can insert until the next step, doesn't matter how your groove settings are.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:30 am

firestARTer wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:17 am
Oh I think I am too deep concentrated with other stuff right now (being the video expander).
24ppqn = 24 ticks per quarter note, of course. Gives you 1/16 note for each step (if the groove is set to 6).
No worries, :hihi: I sometimes get confused as well and need to recheck my notes. You already spent too much time on me, but I really appreciate it. I owe you a beer during SB21 (if it happens), we can talk details.
But yes, if you only see the steps, then there is one information for each column that you can insert until the next step, doesn't matter how your groove settings are.
I have the Modcan Touch Sequencer running on 24ppqn, which allows you to decouple the Gate length from the Note length within a single pattern. ER101 is a typical example of a sequencer where each note has its own length, and its being promoted as a very important characteristic of its musicality. The Groove allows the Nerdseq do the same for up to 64 events/steps within a single pattern, and as such is a very important parameter that, in my humble opinion, is being sidelined/overlooked as a trivial parameter used for swing. It should be explained and celebrated for what amazingly musical possibilities it brings to the Nerdseq.

With each pattern considered as a full musical phrase, this means that the largest possible standard note value on a single step is a quarter note. It is a very flexible range, but it's not clearly apparent for us music theory nerds.

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to clarify. I really appreciate it.

Kr0nus
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Nerdsynth NerdSEQ - eurorack tracker/sampler

Post by Kr0nus » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:20 pm

firestARTer, I can't seem to utilize the Video-IO expander I bought until you manually approve my forum account so I can access the download link for firmware 1.25. Please, if at all possible, reconsider the firmware distribution model you are utilizing as it's very user-unfriendly to not be able to use the multi-hundred dollar expander I purchased until you manually approve a forum account so I can get the firmware that makes it function.

Also if you could, I'm a bit unclear on utilizing the video-io module's USB input on the MIDI input in addition to the io-expander module, since they both utilize the midi expander slot, will this work? I bought an LP Pro for launchpad integration, will I now have to give this up to utilize a USB keyboard via the Video-IO? Or do you let multiple of them chain together? Will the i2c integration on the midi channel for your upcoming i2c adapter rule out the USB keyboard functionality / Sega gamepad / launchpad functionalities of the Video-IO / IO-Expansion modules? If so, can I assume that I can just skip hooking up the USB keyboard connection / i2cAdapter and still utilize the video functions of the Video-IO along with the IO-expansion module?

Thanks a lot, love the Nerdseq so far otherwise, fantastic tracker!

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:49 am

Kr0nus wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:20 pm
firestARTer, I can't seem to utilize the Video-IO expander I bought until you manually approve my forum account so I can access the download link for firmware 1.25. Please, if at all possible, reconsider the firmware distribution model you are utilizing as it's very user-unfriendly to not be able to use the multi-hundred dollar expander I purchased until you manually approve a forum account so I can get the firmware that makes it function.

Also if you could, I'm a bit unclear on utilizing the video-io module's USB input on the MIDI input in addition to the io-expander module, since they both utilize the midi expander slot, will this work? I bought an LP Pro for launchpad integration, will I now have to give this up to utilize a USB keyboard via the Video-IO? Or do you let multiple of them chain together? Will the i2c integration on the midi channel for your upcoming i2c adapter rule out the USB keyboard functionality / Sega gamepad / launchpad functionalities of the Video-IO / IO-Expansion modules? If so, can I assume that I can just skip hooking up the USB keyboard connection / i2cAdapter and still utilize the video functions of the Video-IO along with the IO-expansion module?

Hey Kronos, I'm sorry I just got up and sometimes it takes a few hours until a new account is activated. I do this so I don't wake up and all the forum is filled with spam.
As for the distribution of firmwares. All release firmwares can always be downloaded from the regular website. In this case the new version is a release candidate (and not marked as stable yet) and these are always only available on the forum. I don't want users to accidentally install the wrong firmwares.
The cable connections are explained in the starter guide you got with the expander. All midi is passed through with the daisy chain (they are more pins on the connector). So also the future usb-midi device will be able to be used together.
The video works also without the midi cable connected, but firmware updates won't be possible then.

Just to add, check the video of sonic voltage, he describes well how to connect the cables: (Though the explanation to copy the firmware onto the expander is not necessary, that was an early beta. Also you enable the video expander in the setup screen now.)

Cheers :coffee-cheers:

Kr0nus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Kr0nus » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:14 pm

firestARTer wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:49 am
Kr0nus wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:20 pm

Hey Kronos, I'm sorry I just got up and sometimes it takes a few hours until a new account is activated. I do this so I don't wake up and all the forum is filled with spam.
As for the distribution of firmwares. All release firmwares can always be downloaded from the regular website. In this case the new version is a release candidate (and not marked as stable yet) and these are always only available on the forum. I don't want users to accidentally install the wrong firmwares.
The cable connections are explained in the starter guide you got with the expander. All midi is passed through with the daisy chain (they are more pins on the connector). So also the future usb-midi device will be able to be used together.
The video works also without the midi cable connected, but firmware updates won't be possible then.

Just to add, check the video of sonic voltage, he describes well how to connect the cables: (Though the explanation to copy the firmware onto the expander is not necessary, that was an early beta. Also you enable the video expander in the setup screen now.)

Cheers :coffee-cheers:
Totally understood on the anti-spam measures, it's been awhile since I administered a forum, so I'm not sure sure if you can set the file download permissions to something like "registered users - activated or otherwise", which feels like it would solve both issues, preventing spam but also sidestepping this possible brick wall in user workflow. If not, totally understandable; thanks for the forum activation.

Appreciate the MIDI information, so glad they can chain like that, very well thought out!

One odd thing is that when I got the Video-IO hooked up and outputting, it ended up being a slightly different color scheme than that which was on the main Nerdseq screen, making odd lines green, and even lines black (the Nerdseq screen itself has them in white) which effectively ended up hiding values set on those lines unless they were actively highlighted, since the values were also in black. I reset the colors via the user interface options, which thankfully got 'er trued up and humming along.

Thanks again, it's been a fantastic experience otherwise, such a useful module!

EDIT: It happened again, the colors defaulted to a green / black format in which I was unable to view even rows other than the currently selected one until I reset the User Interface colors again, not sure if this is a known issue but it seems troublesome. The selected row should be red also but for some reason when this happens it becomes blue. Prolly a result of the RC firmware, but just bringing this behavior to your attention.
Last edited by Kr0nus on Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Karl_Joseph
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Karl_Joseph » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:05 pm

Fuck. I need to finish my jam/patch before I can hook up my video expander. So close.
- KARL

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:36 am

Totally understood on the anti-spam measures, it's been awhile since I administered a forum, so I'm not sure sure if you can set the file download permissions to something like "registered users - activated or otherwise", which feels like it would solve both issues, preventing spam but also sidestepping this possible brick wall in user workflow. If not, totally understandable; thanks for the forum activation.

Appreciate the MIDI information, so glad they can chain like that, very well thought out!

One odd thing is that when I got the Video-IO hooked up and outputting, it ended up being a slightly different color scheme than that which was on the main Nerdseq screen, making odd lines green, and even lines black (the Nerdseq screen itself has them in white) which effectively ended up hiding values set on those lines unless they were actively highlighted, since the values were also in black. I reset the colors via the user interface options, which thankfully got 'er trued up and humming along.

Thanks again, it's been a fantastic experience otherwise, such a useful module!

EDIT: It happened again, the colors defaulted to a green / black format in which I was unable to view even rows other than the currently selected one until I reset the User Interface colors again, not sure if this is a known issue but it seems troublesome. The selected row should be red also but for some reason when this happens it becomes blue. Prolly a result of the RC firmware, but just bringing this behavior to your attention.
I added it now also to the regular website.

They are no known issues so far.
Can you try to get some more information about it? Is it maybe project related? Does it switch to other colors after a certain function?

Also I would rather see issues in the release candidate thread since there I can keep all information on one place.

DorianSRed
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DorianSRed » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:01 pm

Quick question regarding the live queue points:
  • I'm playing a 8steps pattern
  • live queue points is set to 16 steps
  • The next pattern triggered with start x2 will start at the end of the 8steps pattern, and not from the next live queue point
Is it as expected? I thought this feature was forcing the start at a specific point, no matter previous pattern length, but it looks like it's working only if the first pattern is longer than the live queue points config.

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:30 am

DorianSRed wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:01 pm
Quick question regarding the live queue points:
  • I'm playing a 8steps pattern
  • live queue points is set to 16 steps
  • The next pattern triggered with start x2 will start at the end of the 8steps pattern, and not from the next live queue point
Is it as expected? I thought this feature was forcing the start at a specific point, no matter previous pattern length, but it looks like it's working only if the first pattern is longer than the live queue points config.
The patterns are shorter than your selected queuepoints. So these will indeed progress after the 8 steps and not at the queuepoint.
They are more interresting for longer patterns which you want to switch earlier. So the behaviour is as it should be for the normal launch mode.

In the new release candidate is a new additional launch mode which got a different behaviour. So new launches are there indeed only the queuepoints or on he zero cross, depending on pressing start once or double.

DorianSRed
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DorianSRed » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm

Thanks Thomas for the confirmation and for the infos on the additional launch mode! I should take a look at this release candidate :).

HIMA
Ultra Wiggler

Post by HIMA » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:29 pm

Has anybody taken the time to work out how the LFO values correlate to Hertz? I don't have an oscilloscope and would love to, on occasion, to be accurate with the LFOs.
The Book of Bad Ideas - A compendium of knowledge from Muffs. Download it here: http://bit.ly/1oz2zaI

ch3oh
Common Wiggler

Post by ch3oh » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:07 pm

ch3oh wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:55 am
Would it be possible to let the new random ranges feature operate in a relative mode rather than providing absolute values? Like if I set the note to C-5 and then subsequently pick the ±10% random range, the C-5 would act as an offset for the randomization. I think this would greatly increase its flexibility. Or maybe there is some clever way of doing this already?
Sorry for double posting, but given the new firmware version development, maybe this is something you could consider, Thomas?

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:11 pm

ch3oh wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:07 pm
ch3oh wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:55 am
Would it be possible to let the new random ranges feature operate in a relative mode rather than providing absolute values? Like if I set the note to C-5 and then subsequently pick the ±10% random range, the C-5 would act as an offset for the randomization. I think this would greatly increase its flexibility. Or maybe there is some clever way of doing this already?
Sorry for double posting, but given the new firmware version development, maybe this is something you could consider, Thomas?
Not for this firmware and I already forget about this. Add it to the forums feature requests, then I can keep an eye on it.

I think you could archieve something like this using the ADD/SUB commands and some tricks with probability.
And for notes it can very simply be done using the random values for transposition and the tables. There you can set for example within X notes higher and Y notes lower.

FletchNYC
Wiggling with Experience

Post by FletchNYC » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:39 am

How is the Nerdseq with randomization? Is it primarily for very intentional songwriting, or is it equally good for just letting it go on it’s own with you just steering it in the right direction, similar to something like Marbles?

joskery
Veteran Wiggler

Post by joskery » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:09 am

IMO it can do pretty much anything, but the difference is the amount and nature of prep work, as well as the real-time control. Marbles is designed for controllable random – the nerdseq has nice functions for it but they’re not as immediate in use. Which is totally to be expected.

HIMA
Ultra Wiggler

Post by HIMA » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:15 pm

Anybody? :help: Specifically I'm interested in the CV16 LFOs.

If just I know what the freq of the base value is and what 1 increment equals i'm prepared to do the math...
HIMA wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:29 pm
Has anybody taken the time to work out how the LFO values correlate to Hertz? I don't have an oscilloscope and would love to, on occasion, to be accurate with the LFOs.
The Book of Bad Ideas - A compendium of knowledge from Muffs. Download it here: http://bit.ly/1oz2zaI

megarat
Veteran Wiggler

Post by megarat » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:49 pm

HIMA wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:15 pm
Anybody? :help: Specifically I'm interested in the CV16 LFOs.

If just I know what the freq of the base value is and what 1 increment equals i'm prepared to do the math...
HIMA wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:29 pm
I can give this a go, but the catch is that I’m much busier than I want to be right now, so it may take a while (maybe a week?).

geremyf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by geremyf » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:02 pm

So I just took some crude measurements:

Speed 0xFFF, sine wave, amp 80, full bit, clock free: frequency = 46.373 Hz (likely 50 Hz, but I was taking the measurement from a separate case with different ground).
Speed 0x7FF, sine wave, amp 80, full bit, clock free: frequency = 23.226 Hz (likely 25 Hz, same note as above).

So linearly scaled w/ max freq of 50 Hz.

Having only owned one for 1 week, I'm amazed at what it can do. Also, one of my feature requests was already incorporated into the most recent candidate firmware!

HIMA
Ultra Wiggler

Post by HIMA » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:15 am

Brilliant! Thanks so much.
geremyf wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:02 pm
So I just took some crude measurements:

Speed 0xFFF, sine wave, amp 80, full bit, clock free: frequency = 46.373 Hz (likely 50 Hz, but I was taking the measurement from a separate case with different ground).
Speed 0x7FF, sine wave, amp 80, full bit, clock free: frequency = 23.226 Hz (likely 25 Hz, same note as above).

So linearly scaled w/ max freq of 50 Hz.

Having only owned one for 1 week, I'm amazed at what it can do. Also, one of my feature requests was already incorporated into the most recent candidate firmware!

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:11 pm

firestARTer wrote:
Still, given the fact you would use the groove to get longer steps, you can manipulate the in between ticks/parts with tables for example. And keep in mind, this groove settings can be different to each pattern/track. And also you can cross manipulate between tracks.
Am I right to understand that the Groove Correction Indicator takes only the Default number of steps on a pattern x Default number of ticks per step when it makes the suggested correction?

Would it be possible to take into account the number of steps in the specific pattern if set differently via the Nerd menu > Track Length ?

For example, if I have 16 steps as the length then the total number of ticks should be 96.

firestARTer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by firestARTer » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:15 pm

Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:11 pm
firestARTer wrote:
Am I right to understand that the Groove Correction Indicator takes only the Default number of steps on a pattern x Default number of ticks per step when it makes the suggested correction?

Would it be possible to take into account the number of steps in the specific pattern if set differently via the Nerd menu > Track Length ?

For example, if I have 16 steps as the length then the total number of ticks should be 96.
It does!

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: XOR electronics NerdSEQ - eurorack tracker/sampler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:53 am

Thanks! I'll check it out. I wasn't sure that was the case as I only get a value back and I don't know what the calculation is behind the scenes. By the way, any case you could approve my signing-up for your forum? Thanks, I've only been able to read stuff with no possible interaction over there, but I'm patient, no rush, just wanted you to know.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”