Animal Factory Amplification

New Hosted Sub-Forum. Check it out here:
Not exactly a new manufacturer but new to us. Check out their pedal and eurorack product and extend them a welcome all the way to Mumbai!

Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, Kent, Joe., luketeaford

waldmusic
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4

Post by waldmusic »

os wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:44 pm The Clock algorithm will do that.
My apologies, but which algorithm nr. are you referring to? So far I have been (mis)using the clockable LFO for the task.
BonJoey
Common Wiggler

Post by BonJoey »

waldmusic wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:08 pm
My apologies, but which algorithm nr. are you referring to? So far I have been (mis)using the clockable LFO for the task.
It's just called Clock (G-6)
waldmusic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by waldmusic »

BonJoey wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:28 pm
waldmusic wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:08 pm
It's just called Clock (G-6)
Thanks!!
In the manual I have in the studio it is/was called "Midi Clock" and I thus never read its feature list ;)
radialMelt
Common Wiggler

Post by radialMelt »

Hello! Question re: M-3 Logic...

Is there any way of adjusting the duty cycle of the logic output? It seems to fire a quick 5V pulse, which is not long enough to serve as a gate on the module I am using with it, which is receiving the signal from output A. Right now I am having to use output A as a trigger to trigger a quick env on an EG to serve as a gate. Wondering if I'm doing something dumb here.

Thank you!
adnauseam
Ultra Wiggler

Post by adnauseam »

radialMelt wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:30 pm Hello! Question re: M-3 Logic...

Is there any way of adjusting the duty cycle of the logic output? It seems to fire a quick 5V pulse, which is not long enough to serve as a gate on the module I am using with it, which is receiving the signal from output A. Right now I am having to use output A as a trigger to trigger a quick env on an EG to serve as a gate. Wondering if I'm doing something dumb here.

Thank you!
Logic modules won't typically have duty cycles. The state of the output depends on the states of the inputs.

You need to figure out for to adjust the duty cycle of the modules producing your inputs :)
radialMelt
Common Wiggler

Post by radialMelt »

adnauseam wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:02 am
radialMelt wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:30 pm Hello! Question re: M-3 Logic...

Thank you!
Logic modules won't typically have duty cycles. The state of the output depends on the states of the inputs.

You need to figure out for to adjust the duty cycle of the modules producing your inputs :)
I'll try some things out and see what happens. Cheers

EDIT: ah, i see what is going on here. Def a patch issue. Thanks for encouraging the second look
notzer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by notzer »

studiocode wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:38 am Hi!

I've created a little web tool for the Disting Mk4. You can quickly browse all the available algorithms (firmware 4.21) and view the parameters and descriptions.

If you have a MIDI breakout connected to your Disting and you use a browser which supports the WebMIDI API (Chrome recommended)
you can "pilot" the Disting directly from your browser: load an algorithm, change the parameters.

This little application is available at https://studiocode.dev/disting/

The code is open-source: https://github.com/francoisgeorgy/distinguished

Feedback welcome. If you find a bug or for anything else, please open a ticket in the GitHub project: https://github.com/francoisgeorgy/distinguished/issues
Thank you!

Note 1: to check if your browser supports WebMIDI: https://webmidi.info/
Note 2: for more info about WebMIDI: https://studiocode.dev/resources/webmidi/
This is awesome. Thank you so much.
Bitter Synth
Common Wiggler

Post by Bitter Synth »

Hello, friends.

I tried my friend Google and I looked at the manual, but I can't really make sense of one thing:
Can the Disting mk4 be used to transpose a sequence? I'm talking straight transposition, nothing random. I press this button and suddenly we go from a minor to b minor.
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

C-1 Precision Adder (fractional offsets)
tdallas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tdallas »

Bitter Synth wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:16 am Hello, friends.

I tried my friend Google and I looked at the manual, but I can't really make sense of one thing:
Can the Disting mk4 be used to transpose a sequence? I'm talking straight transposition, nothing random. I press this button and suddenly we go from a minor to b minor.
Hi. Might the transpose feature in A-6 (Quantizer) be helpful?
Quantizer.PNG
EDIT: OK, C-1 mentioned by OS above might be the better solution :hihi:
radialMelt
Common Wiggler

Post by radialMelt »

I know that it is normal that for algos that use the Z-knob press, this gesture will not scroll through the available Parameters. However, I'm noticing that on some algos - I am playing with A2 Four Quadrant Multiplier here at the moment - that don't have a Z-knob press function, that pressing the Z-knob doesn't scroll through Paramaters. Pressing the Z-knob on my Disting mk4 in A2 behaves rather strangely actually, sometimes showing what parameter is selected, other times nothing.

Admittedly, it's a new module for me (I'm more familiar with the EX). Is this a bug, a malfunction, or user error?

EDIT: just looked at the manual again... i missed the "knob recorder enabled" bit. Another case of user error!
t0bys1ater
Learning to Wiggle

Post by t0bys1ater »

Hi,
does anyone know what kind of effect power issues could have on the Disting? I'm wondering if I'm having power issues or if something else is going on. Sometimes the "screen" shuts down on my Disting, and often times the S and Z knobs act as if they were pressed when I don't touch them, especially when I touch a patch cable that's connected to the Disting, or when I simply touch (but do not press) either button.

Errr... Help? Might not be a power issue? But since I'm a using around 420mA on the -12V out of a potential 500mA on my uZeus, I'm wondering if that's what's causing the problem (+12V and +5V are waaaay under max usage).
ProggyBoog
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ProggyBoog »

t0bys1ater wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:19 pm Hi,
does anyone know what kind of effect power issues could have on the Disting? I'm wondering if I'm having power issues or if something else is going on. Sometimes the "screen" shuts down on my Disting, and often times the S and Z knobs act as if they were pressed when I don't touch them, especially when I touch a patch cable that's connected to the Disting, or when I simply touch (but do not press) either button.

Errr... Help? Might not be a power issue? But since I'm a using around 420mA on the -12V out of a potential 500mA on my uZeus, I'm wondering if that's what's causing the problem (+12V and +5V are waaaay under max usage).
That might be it. Unplug one of your hungrier other modules and try it again.
tdallas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tdallas »

t0bys1ater wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:19 pmMight not be a power issue? But since I'm a using around 420mA on the -12V out of a potential 500mA on my uZeus […]
Not about to derail this thread. But since you mention the uZeus and its -12V rail -> have you checked this jumper on it?
uZeus.png
And another idea. Might the back of your module somehow touches other stuff (e.g. your rack)? Some PCB of the smaller modules sometimes come very close to the housing, especially if you place them in one of the corners (thats why my Intellijel 7u is taped in these spots).
t0bys1ater
Learning to Wiggle

Post by t0bys1ater »

tdallas wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:50 pm
t0bys1ater wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:19 pmMight not be a power issue? But since I'm a using around 420mA on the -12V out of a potential 500mA on my uZeus […]
Not about to derail this thread. But since you mention the uZeus and its -12V rail -> have you checked this jumper on it?

uZeus.png

And another idea. Might the back of your module somehow touches other stuff (e.g. your rack)? Some PCB of the smaller modules sometimes come very close to the housing, especially if you place them in one of the corners (thats why my Intellijel 7u is taped in these spots).
Yes I did adjust the -12V rail jumper. I'll have to check about the PCB touching something else. Thanks for the suggestion.
t0bys1ater
Learning to Wiggle

Post by t0bys1ater »

t0bys1ater wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:39 pm

uZeus.png

Yes I did adjust the -12V rail jumper. I'll have to check about the PCB touching something else. Thanks for the suggestion.
Hmm, after further investigation, the Disting behaves this way even when the -12V load is around 300mA, and it gets stuck in "update" mode when the load is around 425mA... I checked with my other uZeus, so it's not a faulty power module. The Disting works fine when I reduce the load to around 200mA though, so it seems to indeed be linked to a power issue...

Or is the Disting just not happy being powered by a uZeus for some other reason!?
Btw, I did check and the PCB isn't touching anything...

Help???

BTW, this is my rack : https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/729668. And this is how I'm powering everything : https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1778989 + https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1778990
Last edited by t0bys1ater on Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
DukeOfPrunes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by DukeOfPrunes »

t0bys1ater wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:25 am
t0bys1ater wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:39 pm

uZeus.png

Hmm, after further investigation, the Disting behaves this way even when the -12V load is around 300mA, and it gets stuck in "update" mode when the load is around 425mA... I checked with my other uZeus, so it's not a faulty power module. The Disting works fine when I reduce the load to around 200mA though, so it seems to indeed be linked to a power issue...

Or is the Disting just not happy being powered by a uZeus for some other reason!?
Btw, I did check and the PCB isn't touching anything...

Help???
I have 3 Mk4s that have been/are powered by a mix of 2 uZeus; I've never noticed any issues on my end.
Kwam202
Common Wiggler

Post by Kwam202 »

Hi,

Sorry looking for clear answer,, despite i've red a little bit of the manual ?

Not still a owner of the disting mk4

But : Does the disting mk4 can be setup to use multiples functios at the same time ? Let's say, VCO, EG enveloppe, lfo.

?

Usable my others modules in different ways.

Or does the Disting Mk4 is one function at a time ?

Thanks.
ProggyBoog
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ProggyBoog »

The Mk4 is one function at a time. If you want multiple, get the Disting EX which can essentially be run as two separate Mk4s if you wish.
japes
Common Wiggler

Post by japes »

Kwam202 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:35 am Hi,

But : Does the disting mk4 can be setup to use multiples functios at the same time ? Let's say, VCO, EG enveloppe, lfo.

?

Thanks.
It’s one at a time.

The Disting EX can be used as two functions at once.
Kwam202
Common Wiggler

Post by Kwam202 »

japes wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:38 am
Kwam202 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:35 am Hi,

?

Thanks.
It’s one at a time.

The Disting EX can be used as two functions at once.
Hmm sad...
must buy multiples :),

Saving for the ex, as well saving for it.

Difficult each got his needs for modules.

I really hoped by preset managemnt it was multiples functions at the sae time.

Still studying my needs.

Thanks.
ee_
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ee_ »

Was a resolution to the issue of "screen flickering" in certain algorithms (like K6 and K7) ever firmly resolved? I did a quick thread search and found mentions of it being normal behavior and having something to do with the SD card, but I also saw people were getting audio drops from the app that way. I haven't had a chance to try the app in action but was wondering about the screen flickering and if there's a way to solve it. (It has the latest firmware).
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

Screen flickering is normal in the SD Delay modes.
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

Firmware v4.22 is released.

tdallas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tdallas »

Wow. This is a very nice update, thank you! I also like the blank panel with the cats :mrgreen:

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”