Animal Factory Amplification

New Hosted Sub-Forum. Check it out here:
Not exactly a new manufacturer but new to us. Check out their pedal and eurorack product and extend them a welcome all the way to Mumbai!

Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, Kent, Joe., luketeaford

geremyf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4

Post by geremyf »

I have a mk3 and mk4 so feel I can comment. If you like the mk3 algorithms and the price is right, fine. It is a pain in the ass though. I prefer the mk4 and it's still pretty actively in development.

The other issue to consider on the mk3 is that the SD slot is not on the front of the module. It's on the backside. So if you intend to use it to play samples (I do not), it can be a pain.

There are a few modes in the mk3 that I know pretty well (clocked delay being the most used) and I just switch between those as needed. The mk4 is more exploratory.
acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob »

Hi, long time user of 2x disting mk.4.

I am often finding my self in the need of some visual feedback in regards to voltage output of some modules, do you think it would be possible to implement a sort of VU-meter?

I am aware that there is already a "VCO" in there, but do you also think it would be possible to implement a sort of sub osc. with -1 and -2 oct. Derived from another osc.? Maybe even with PWM like the STG .COM?
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/stg-soundlabs-com

Do you think the tuner could be updated with some kind of visual indication of how far one is from being close to perfect pitch, maybe some blinking light that blinks faster the closer one is to being in tune, I did find that the tuner is a bit hard to use as it is now. It could also be some dots??
Also it could be really nice with some indication about what octave one is working in?

Thanks for all the great programs for the disting and the ongoing support.
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

The Clockable LFO should work as a divider.
mmpingo
Common Wiggler

Post by mmpingo »

Thanks a lot geremyf! Now I would like to hear, preferably from the manufacturer himself, whether (the key for me at this stage) algorithms, i.e. reverb, delay, wavefolder and filters are the same in the Mk 3 and Mk 4 versions, or the Mk 4 has improved ones.
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

Many algorithms are improved in the mk4.
acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob »

os wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:33 am The Clockable LFO should work as a divider.
Thanks, this is pretty neat.

(B-6 Clockable LFO)

What do you think about the other ideas?
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

They seem reasonable.
soon_come
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soon_come »

Hi Os,

Any chance of implementing fingered portamento / legato glide for MIDI input on the VCO algorithms? I love your implementation of it in the MIDI to CV algorithm on the Disting and the FH-2.
thatsmidnight
Common Wiggler

Post by thatsmidnight »

For people that have this module: how difficult would you say the learning curve is for understanding how to navigate the menu and utilize the module effectively?
Phitar
Constantly Learning

Post by Phitar »

thatsmidnight wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:04 pm For people that have this module: how difficult would you say the learning curve is for understanding how to navigate the menu and utilize the module effectively?
Navigation isn't a real issue. The knobs generally perform the same type of functions/adjust the same parameters. The issue is knowing all the algo's and what each parameter is actually adjusting. There are just too many to memorize for most humans. You pretty much need to keep the manual or Bob Borrie's guide close by. I have no problem with doing that at all. I have two mk4's and an EX (thinking about another of those). Love the things, they do so many great things.
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Wiggling for the Greater Goo! :goo:
thatsmidnight
Common Wiggler

Post by thatsmidnight »

Phitar wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:20 pm
thatsmidnight wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:04 pm For people that have this module: how difficult would you say the learning curve is for understanding how to navigate the menu and utilize the module effectively?
Navigation isn't a real issue. The knobs generally perform the same type of functions/adjust the same parameters. The issue is knowing all the algo's and what each parameter is actually adjusting. There are just too many to memorize for most humans. You pretty much need to keep the manual or Bob Borrie's guide close by. I have no problem with doing that at all. I have two mk4's and an EX (thinking about another of those). Love the things, they do so many great things.
Holy h*ck! I have to admit, I can see the allure of having a "swiss-army knife" module in my rack. I'll definitely take your comment to heart. Thanks!

Love the profile pic, btw ;)
Naive Teen Idol
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Naive Teen Idol »

I would agree. As an EX and mk4 owner, I’ve always thought people make too much of the “Oh my god, it’s so overwhelming – who could ever remember every algorithm and function in this?” aspect. I mean, if you want to just leave it as a simple quantizer or sample and hold module if that’s what you want, it’s easy enough just to pull that up and leave it there. At this point, I have a good chunk of algorithms that I like to use and their various controls more or less memorized.

How much you use different algorithms really depends on your preferred workflow and whether it jibes with how you like to wiggle. If it pulls you out of the moment too much to switch things up and refer to the screen or a manual/cheat sheet then it's probably not going to be a workhorse for you. But I generally think there’s zero reason for every modular enthusiast not to have one in their rig. I mean, it can do almost anything – or it can do just one or two things.
thatsmidnight
Common Wiggler

Post by thatsmidnight »

Naive Teen Idol wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:37 pm I would agree. As an EX and mk4 owner, I’ve always thought people make too much of the “Oh my god, it’s so overwhelming – who could ever remember every algorithm and function in this?” aspect. I mean, if you want to just leave it as a simple quantizer or sample and hold module if that’s what you want, it’s easy enough just to pull that up and leave it there. At this point, I have a good chunk of algorithms that I like to use and their various controls more or less memorized.

How much you use different algorithms really depends on your preferred workflow and whether it jibes with how you like to wiggle. If it pulls you out of the moment too much to switch things up and refer to the screen or a manual/cheat sheet then it's probably not going to be a workhorse for you. But I generally think there’s zero reason for every modular enthusiast not to have one in their rig. I mean, it can do almost anything – or it can do just one or two things.
I think your point on using it for a single algorithm is something for newbies like me to keep in mind: even if I'm only using it for a single function, it's still worth it - simply due to the fact that it can do other things (if I need it to). Otherwise, I can have a dedicated Mk4 as something that my rack needs and, if I really want to, buy the module that would fit that need and then switch the Mk4 to a new algorithm.

I think I just talked myself into including it in my rack! Thanks!
modeland
Wiggling with Experience

Post by modeland »

Just chiming in. I have 2 mk4s and an mk1. And I see no reason not to pick more up when I see good deals on mk1s and mk2s. The more I learn about synthesis/modular the more I appreciate the OG 16.
There is no theory. You merely have to listen. - Claude Debussy
Sleipnir
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sleipnir »

modeland wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:25 pm Just chiming in. I have 2 mk4s and an mk1. And I see no reason not to pick more up when I see good deals on mk1s and mk2s. The more I learn about synthesis/modular the more I appreciate the OG 16.
Exactly. Also to the point of the post a couple upthread, my “west coasty” system has 2 mk1s and a mk4. The mk1s are perma-set as Adder and Quantizer. They do the job just fine (though they do suck a lot of power compared to the new models).
gb2
Common Wiggler

Post by gb2 »

maybe there's an algo for this already and i'm just not able to find it....

what i am interested to do is to tap a rhythm with the z button and have it recorded, looped and quantized to an incoming clock. any way to achieve this?
Last edited by gb2 on Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
japes
Common Wiggler

Post by japes »

any chance of a clockable looper algorithm?
narxistdan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by narxistdan »

Is there an algorithm that can be used as a probabalistic trigger skipper with CV control over the probability of a skip, like a Ladik S-090? Doesn't look like there's something obviously designed for that specifically, but it seems likely there's an algorithm that will do it.
_lampshade_
Common Wiggler

Post by _lampshade_ »

japes wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:02 am any chance of a clockable looper algorithm?
k6 - k8 are clockable delays with super long sample times which work great as loopers.
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

narxistdan wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:00 pm Is there an algorithm that can be used as a probabalistic trigger skipper with CV control over the probability of a skip, like a Ladik S-090? Doesn't look like there's something obviously designed for that specifically, but it seems likely there's an algorithm that will do it.
You might be able to do what you want with N-1 Switch.
1n
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 1n »

I don’t enjoy using midi and I avoid it except in iOS, where it sort of runs itself - apologies for this question being low level…

Keystep 37 > Disting 4, to play samples, etc., and for distribution of midi-cv. Do I need the 5-pin breakout module or the TRS breakout?
rurs
Common Wiggler

Post by rurs »

Either. Get the DIn version if you don't want to get, or don't have, a DIN to 3.5mm midi cable or adapter.
1n
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 1n »

rurs wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:45 am Either. Get the DIn version if you don't want to get, or don't have, a DIN to 3.5mm midi cable or adapter.
Thank you
1n
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 1n »

I re-bought Disting for pitch tracking and my experiments so far are a lot of fun. Nothing entertaining enough to share, so far, so here's the video that got me thinking how to pitch-track:

Pitch-tracking modules being few and far between, it's yet another function that Disting provides that you didn't know existed till yesterday.

Since I settled into a reduced-size system (mostly Mutable Instruments) Disting is proving a useful experimental tool.
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os »

v4.21 is released.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”