Voting open for your top 3 tracks in our Odd Meter Remix/ReMangle/Reimagine Challenge

Prizes generously donated by:
ADDAC System (Eurorack 3U)
Endorphin.es (Eurorack 3U)
Fred's Lab (DIY Paraphonic Synth)
Northern Light Modular (Buchla-format h-series OR Eurorack3U)
Rattly and Raw (Wiggler Approved Kontakt Instrument)
Studio.h (Buchla-format 4U)

Get your vote on and free 42 minute modular playlist for your listening pleasure.

Intellijel Plonk

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

mopoco
Common Wiggler

Re: Intellijel Plonk

Post by mopoco » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:17 am

as for negative pitch voltages i'd respectfully disagree.
though i do agree that the manual could have been more clearer,
carefully read it's pretty much true and reproducable:

only if the pitch (offset) knob is turned all the way down,
which gives you the lowest playable note on plonk depending on its octave setting (i think),
the module won't respond to negative voltages. (which could have been stressed in the manual of course)
but when you turn the pitch offset knob up, e.g. to 12 o'clock and above,
it pretty much responds to negative voltages. at least my module
does.
"The root of the configured base octave is played when this knob is at the 12 o’clock position and 0 V are applied at the PITCH input .
[...] 1 V/octave pitch input. Summed with the position of the PITCH knob. The rangeis ±5 V."

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:12 am

Intellijel just said the manual is wrong and the module does not respond to negative voltages at the pitch input? But your does?

laneo
Common Wiggler

Post by laneo » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:42 am

kisielk wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:18 pm
That is a mistake in the manual, Plonk only responds to positive pitch voltages.
Thanks for clarifying. So the pitch is 0 to 5v? 1v per octave? (5 octaves then?)

Same thing applies to X and Y inputs? should I only use 0 to 5V? (I´ll have to make more tests but they do seem to respond to -5V)

laneo
Common Wiggler

Post by laneo » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:13 pm

mopoco wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:17 am
as for negative pitch voltages i'd respectfully disagree.
though i do agree that the manual could have been more clearer,
carefully read it's pretty much true and reproducable:

only if the pitch (offset) knob is turned all the way down,
which gives you the lowest playable note on plonk depending on its octave setting (i think),
the module won't respond to negative voltages. (which could have been stressed in the manual of course)
but when you turn the pitch offset knob up, e.g. to 12 o'clock and above,
it pretty much responds to negative voltages. at least my module
does.
"The root of the configured base octave is played when this knob is at the 12 o’clock position and 0 V are applied at the PITCH input .
[...] 1 V/octave pitch input. Summed with the position of the PITCH knob. The rangeis ±5 V."
Does your unit responds down to -5V?

I can confirm that in my unit Decay, X and Y inputs responds to +-5V (+-6V in fact).

mkasthe
Common Wiggler

Post by mkasthe » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:58 pm

Does anyone know if there is a way to create "kit" presets like the ones that come stock with the module (presets 1, 5, 9, 13)?
Made in Italy and exported to NYC
Instagram: The Analog Kid

kisielk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kisielk » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:12 pm

Yes, push the MOD button and change the mod destination to "Pst" or "Preset Step" (just before "Randomize"). There you can set the first preset and the last preset.
Intellijel R&D

mkasthe
Common Wiggler

Post by mkasthe » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:57 pm

kisielk wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:12 pm
Yes, push the MOD button and change the mod destination to "Pst" or "Preset Step" (just before "Randomize"). There you can set the first preset and the last preset.
Thanks!
Made in Italy and exported to NYC
Instagram: The Analog Kid

megarat
Ultra Wiggler

Post by megarat » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:02 pm

Greetings folks. I've been drawn to the Plonk because of my long-suffering drum conundrum. I'm currently using a Delptronics LDB-2e/x for simple, basic drum duties. In theory the LDB-2e/x does what I need, but the volume output is way too low, even when I follow it with a Doepfer A-183-3 amplifier. Almost all the time, I need to engineer the entire mix around the drums' low levels, so I've decided that I'm done with that and it's time to look for something new.

The Plonk showed up on my radar, partially because I'm an Intellijel fan, and partially because 12hp would be an exact fit for the gap made by an outgoing LDB-2e/x. Plus the additional functionality over the LDB-2e/x's basic drum sounds would be fun to play with. But some of the earlier comments in this thread re: the Plonk having a relatively low volume have me hesitating. I would hate to spend money on this module just to discover that it doesn't solve my original problem.

Now that the latest firmware enables you to increase the gain by 40db, does anyone have any issues with the Plonk's volume? I understand that the actual level depends on the exact patch, but in general, how does its level compare with the raw 10Vpp output of a VCO?

Thanks for any help.

akrenaut
Common Wiggler

Post by akrenaut » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:37 pm

I like Plonk for the feature set of percussion sound design. I do however grow tired of the menu diving to dial in the tonal qualities of what is being created. I almost wouldn't mind if it was larger in hp and had more direct knob to parameter functionality. I have experienced some occasional lower volume output but it's not nearly as low as the LDB. If you have the a-183 I wouldn't think you'd run into anything being too low. And in most instances probably don't need it with Plonk. Just make sure you're ok with menu diving.

mopoco
Common Wiggler

Post by mopoco » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:52 am

Zymos wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:12 am
Intellijel just said the manual is wrong and the module does not respond to negative voltages at the pitch input? But your does?
yeah, i know. i shouldn't contradict the manufacturer, right? :hihi: :spin: :spin:
then let's just say that my o_C contradicts the manufacturer:
-1.5V is what "my" plonk recognises and reacts to if the pitch knob is at 12 o'clock. Should be f#-2. anything below
is being ignored. firmware v1.14.

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thetechnobear » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:48 am

my plonk appears to respond to pitch from ~ -1.5v to +5v, though in practice its seems to track from -1v to +5v.
so on my keyboard it plays/tracks from C3 to C9, where C4 = 0v/ midi note 60
(A2-C3 play, have pitch changes but not really tracking well- at least as far a i could har)

perhaps due to component tolerances, intellijel could not guarantee that range on all modules, so was safer to say 0-5v?

peachesandbacon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by peachesandbacon » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:31 am

Is it only possible to flick between presets that are adjacent to each other in the preset list?

Could I, for example. Flick between preset 1, preset 12 and preset 56?

Currently it’s really bothering me that I can’t find a way to do this. Any tips?

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:36 am

Reorganize them so they are consecutive?
There’s an app for that.

Carrousel
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:00 pm

peachesandbacon wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:31 am
Is it only possible to flick between presets that are adjacent to each other in the preset list?

Could I, for example. Flick between preset 1, preset 12 and preset 56?

Currently it’s really bothering me that I can’t find a way to do this. Any tips?
Rearrange them like Zymos says, or just feed it carefully curated voltages (eg from a sequencer or sequential switch) that only lands on the presets you want.
Formerly 'Raven_Martin' on Muffwiggler
'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music' - Nietzsche

https://carrouselmusic.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk

peachesandbacon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by peachesandbacon » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:40 pm

Rearrange the presets? Really?
I was thinking to myself surely that can’t be the only way.

To be honest, that seems like a horrible, long-winded workaround to what could be a simple UX / UI problem to fix in a firmware update.

Wouldn’t it be better to add the ability to be able to scroll through the presets and highlight or mark the ones you wish to be selectable by the mod under cv?

So either by a range (as we currently have) or by marking presets.

Intellijel, do you think this would be possible to add in a future firmware update?

Cpaf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Cpaf » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:56 pm

peachesandbacon wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:40 pm
Rearrange the presets? Really?
I was thinking to myself surely that can’t be the only way.

To be honest, that seems like a horrible, long-winded workaround to what could be a simple UX / UI problem to fix in a firmware update.

Wouldn’t it be better to add the ability to be able to scroll through the presets and highlight or mark the ones you wish to be selectable by the mod under cv?

So either by a range (as we currently have) or by marking presets.

Intellijel, do you think this would be possible to add in a future firmware update?
When looking at how the UI of Tete services all its powerful functions, I really think Intellijel could massively improve the UI of Plonk by reusing what they have learned with Tete. But I suspect that they prefer to do that by simple making a Plonk2 which surely makes sense from a business standpoint - they could also add an additional encoder or more buttons for a quicker less scrolling/single-encoder workflow.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:59 pm

I think “horrible long-winded” might be a bit hyperbolic. Though any method that doesn’t involve a computer librarian is definitely preferable.

Wubz
Wiggling with Experience

Re:

Post by Wubz » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:34 pm

uniquepersonno2 wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:21 pm
Umcorps wrote:Just picked up one yesterday. Very pleased with it.

However, the first hour was a real head scratcher because, with just a single trigger going in, most of the sounds were pitch shifting around randomly. Big shifts, jumping several full tones, not just a few cents change. Spent ages with the manual trying to spot which setting enabled random pitch and how to turn it off. Clue: there isn't one.

Eventually decided to run the module calibration routine as described in the manual. That fixed everything. Pitch is rock steady unless you put some modulation in the pitch input. Exactly how it should be.

The manual says calibration is done before shipping and shouldn't be needed but clearly mine slipped the net in some way. So I'm posting this just in case anyone else finds they can't get the pitch of their new module to keep still between triggers.

Calibration is probably the answer.
Does yours work in the poly mode too? I'm thinking of picking one of these up this week but that glitch worries me a tad.
I'm having this random pitch change issue. Tried calibration but it's still happening. Anyone any ideas?

emojiseq
Common Wiggler

Post by emojiseq » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:43 am

I returned mine because I thought it was broke due to the low volume and the random pitch shifting, I tried calibrating. Did that stuff get sorted out? I really wanna use this

Anyone not have issues? ty

emojiseq
Common Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by emojiseq » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:51 am

Wubz wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:34 pm
uniquepersonno2 wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:21 pm
Umcorps wrote:Just picked up one yesterday. Very pleased with it.

However, the first hour was a real head scratcher because, with just a single trigger going in, most of the sounds were pitch shifting around randomly. Big shifts, jumping several full tones, not just a few cents change. Spent ages with the manual trying to spot which setting enabled random pitch and how to turn it off. Clue: there isn't one.

Eventually decided to run the module calibration routine as described in the manual. That fixed everything. Pitch is rock steady unless you put some modulation in the pitch input. Exactly how it should be.

The manual says calibration is done before shipping and shouldn't be needed but clearly mine slipped the net in some way. So I'm posting this just in case anyone else finds they can't get the pitch of their new module to keep still between triggers.

Calibration is probably the answer.
Does yours work in the poly mode too? I'm thinking of picking one of these up this week but that glitch worries me a tad.
I'm having this random pitch change issue. Tried calibration but it's still happening. Anyone any ideas?
Did you resolve it?

Kosmikos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:08 am

Back in stock in Juno, these have been really scarce to find for a little while, and it’s my birthday (soonish).

Any advice for a new user? I might read later through the 33 pages of this thread, but that would take some time.

I see lots of frenetic knob action in the demo video, this reminds me of the Mimetic Digitalis. It looks like the randomisation is going to be the first thing to master on this module!

mixxalot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mixxalot » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:32 am

Plonk is ok but after getting a couple of Hexinverter Mutant Drum modules, I much prefer the mutant drums. Lots of tone shaping/cv options and no menu diving tiny screen. Same with WMD percussion modules.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/modben

My modular setup (always work in progress)
Doepfer Monster
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1533298

Sequencer Modular Case
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1533306

MDLR 14u travel case (super heavy but portable):
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1391380

Kosmikos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:10 am

mixxalot wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:32 am
Plonk is ok but after getting a couple of Hexinverter Mutant Drum modules, I much prefer the mutant drums. Lots of tone shaping/cv options and no menu diving tiny screen. Same with WMD percussion modules.
Mutant snare is also on my list, but seems difficult to find, but it’s quite large and only does snares.

I do also have a couple of WMD percussions which I like.

Also I recently sold my Plaits which I primarily used for percussion, as I never completely gel with it sound wise.

But there is something in the Plonk demos that has always attracted me. We’ll see if I can live with the menu diving and small screen. It doesn’t seem too deep.
At least, it doesn’t seem quite as bad as other modules I own that constantly requires the manual to remember how to do particular things.

ima_jrk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ima_jrk » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:23 pm

Kosmikos wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:08 am
Back in stock in Juno, these have been really scarce to find for a little while, and it’s my birthday (soonish).

Any advice for a new user? I might read later through the 33 pages of this thread, but that would take some time.

I see lots of frenetic knob action in the demo video, this reminds me of the Mimetic Digitalis. It looks like the randomisation is going to be the first thing to master on this module!
Memorize the position of the gain setting. It can match euro levels but you have to tell it to.

mixxalot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mixxalot » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:22 pm

@Kosmikos you may like its cousin the Mutant Machine which is like the Mutant snare on steroids!
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/modben

My modular setup (always work in progress)
Doepfer Monster
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1533298

Sequencer Modular Case
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1533306

MDLR 14u travel case (super heavy but portable):
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1391380

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”