MakeNoise Morphagene

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
FletchNYC
Veteran Wiggler

Re: MakeNoise Morphagene

Post by FletchNYC »

Dark Barn wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:37 am
FletchNYC wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:09 am Does anyone know exactly what’s happening with the Morphagene pitch jumping after you’ve turned the Morph knob past 2:30? Is it jumping a full octave? Third? Fifth? Seventh? All the above?
It is user definable on a txt file on the sd card, unless you are on old firmware. The default was this series; +octave, +1.5 octave, +2 octaves, so that’s probably what you have if no one has ever changed it.
Oh, maybe I need to update the firmware. I’ll take a look. Thanks!
xcc
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by xcc »

FletchNYC wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:42 am
Dark Barn wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:37 am
FletchNYC wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:09 am Does anyone know exactly what’s happening with the Morphagene pitch jumping after you’ve turned the Morph knob past 2:30? Is it jumping a full octave? Third? Fifth? Seventh? All the above?
It is user definable on a txt file on the sd card, unless you are on old firmware. The default was this series; +octave, +1.5 octave, +2 octaves, so that’s probably what you have if no one has ever changed it.
Oh, maybe I need to update the firmware. I’ll take a look. Thanks!
Once you’re up to date this site makes it easy to see your options and change the text file: https://www.lorenzostanco.com/lab/morphagene/
Antonio Blanca
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Antonio Blanca »

Hi there,

I've made some years ago this video, just a quick way to auto-create morphagene reels and splices:

Recently I switched to Reaper and I've found even a faster way by creating a script, basically what it does is to auto-create markers for the items on a track, color code each splice and to invoke the render window, just by a single mouse click (once you have installed the script)

I would like to share it, but I was just wondering if any reaper/morphagene would be so kind to check this out a bit? Everything is working fine for me, but having some external testing would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

Little quick video overview here:
Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler »

Happy to but I'll be back in front of Reaper in August. Would love to have a script for it though.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.
Zerstorte Zelle
Common Wiggler

Post by Zerstorte Zelle »

Love the idea!
Antonio Blanca
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Antonio Blanca »

Thank you guys! Anyone interested just pm with an email address and I will send it during the weekend.
Cheers
Powerdwarf
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Powerdwarf »

have one to one compare morphagene and assimil8or and morphagene sounds like toy. sorry but dont understand those who praise its sound quality. its flat and lifeless
Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos »

Do people even make a point of praising its sound quality? As in its absolute fidelity, versus how well it can sound when doing the pretty extreme things it can do? It probably doesn’t sound as good 1:1 as my Qubit Nebulae2 either, but at least that’s a more meaningful comparison.

Just seems like a weird standard to apply to this module…
xcc
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by xcc »

Zymos wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:55 pm Do people even make a point of praising its sound quality? As in its absolute fidelity, versus how well it can sound when doing the pretty extreme things it can do? It probably doesn’t sound as good 1:1 as my Qubit Nebulae2 either, but at least that’s a more meaningful comparison.

Sorry, I think it was me that was praising its sound compared to my 1987 Radio Shack Micro cassette recorder. Blew it away.

Seriously though, that comparison came out of nowhere. Not sure I see the point. Mine puts out what I put in, until I mess it up.
Powerdwarf
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Powerdwarf »

xcc wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:08 pm
Zymos wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:55 pm Do people even make a point of praising its sound quality? As in its absolute fidelity, versus how well it can sound when doing the pretty extreme things it can do? It probably doesn’t sound as good 1:1 as my Qubit Nebulae2 either, but at least that’s a more meaningful comparison.

Sorry, I think it was me that was praising its sound compared to my 1987 Radio Shack Micro cassette recorder. Blew it away.

Seriously though, that comparison came out of nowhere. Not sure I see the point. Mine puts out what I put in, until I mess it up.
yeah yeah, people say that also about octatrack :D
DukeOfPrunes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by DukeOfPrunes »

Same comparison as any other Daw; they all sound the same. All depends on what you feed it.
Powerdwarf
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Powerdwarf »

DukeOfPrunes wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:31 pm

Same comparison as any other Daw; they all sound the same. All depends on what you feed it.
no, thats ignorant comment. many digital modules has its sound. being digital doesnt make it sound “default” digital. in fact, personally I think I have faced more differently sounding modules in digital line up. and if you dont hear difference between rossum sampler and morphgn then sorry have nothing more to say.
deejone12
Learning to Wiggle

Post by deejone12 »

Powerdwarf wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:39 pm have one to one compare morphagene and assimil8or and morphagene sounds like toy. sorry but dont understand those who praise its sound quality. its flat and lifeless
This is a very strange comparison. Yes they both play samples but the morphagene is not meant to be a fully fledged sampler like the A8. Can you replicate the morph and slide features on the A8? That could be a handy comparison. Even still, fidelity is not what morphagene was designed for. As for flatness, I think that is dependent on what you feed it, but it doesn't impart much of its own vibe aside from pitch and overlapping whackyness. Passing its output thru a resonant stereo filter (e.g., qpas) gives it plenty of life imo
Powerdwarf
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Powerdwarf »

deejone12 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:54 pm
Powerdwarf wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:39 pm have one to one compare morphagene and assimil8or and morphagene sounds like toy. sorry but dont understand those who praise its sound quality. its flat and lifeless
This is a very strange comparison. Yes they both play samples but the morphagene is not meant to be a fully fledged sampler like the A8. Can you replicate the morph and slide features on the A8? That could be a handy comparison. Even still, fidelity is not what morphagene was designed for. As for flatness, I think that is dependent on what you feed it, but it doesn't impart much of its own vibe aside from pitch and overlapping whackyness. Passing its output thru a resonant stereo filter (e.g., qpas) gives it plenty of life imo
i agree about passing through resonant filter, that what makes it a bit of a shape, or 3d to the sound material. it makes it better but still not quite there. What I mean is that you need to work that sound with something to sound better instead of having good sound to begin with. I think I could make windowing but not morph feature, or maybe but that would be more difficult i guess
deejone12
Learning to Wiggle

Post by deejone12 »

Powerdwarf wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:03 pm
i agree about passing through resonant filter, that what makes it a bit of a shape, or 3d to the sound material. it makes it better but still not quite there. What I mean is that you need to work that sound with something to sound better instead of having good sound to begin with. I think I could make windowing but not morph feature, or maybe but that would be more difficult i guess
I've been trying to replicate it with an ER-301 to no avail. Surprisingly hard to get multiple instances of overlapping pitched samples to sound musical. I'm a huge fan of morphagene, but I never use it in isolation. Much like an oscillator or other sound source. But I hear you with the A8 spitting out gold, that thing is a monster.
Naive Teen Idol
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Naive Teen Idol »

I don’t have the Assimil8or but I’m assuming you could mimic the morph function if you loaded and offset the same sound on two channels?
Powerdwarf
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Powerdwarf »

Naive Teen Idol wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:25 pm
I don’t have the Assimil8or but I’m assuming you could mimic the morph function if you loaded and offset the same sound on two channels?
probably. but i guess morphagene is clever on that part that wouldnt be so easy. anyway, i guess i wont sell it soon. need to try to work with that sound in some workaround way. lol. it makes magic happen sometimes I wont lie its good module but it might be more punchy and refined in sonic way
Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos »

You can’t make an Apples vs Oranges comparison better by sprinkling chocolate jimmies on it.
DukeOfPrunes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by DukeOfPrunes »

Powerdwarf wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:49 pm
DukeOfPrunes wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:31 pm

no, thats ignorant comment. many digital modules has its sound. being digital doesnt make it sound “default” digital. in fact, personally I think I have faced more differently sounding modules in digital line up. and if you dont hear difference between rossum sampler and morphgn then sorry have nothing more to say.
Okey dokey. A tad aggressive, especially since I didn't even respond to your comment. Sorry you're having a bad day...

BTW, I completely disagree with your assessment of the Morphagene; looks more like user error to me.
deejone12
Learning to Wiggle

Post by deejone12 »

Naive Teen Idol wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:25 pm
I think the trick would be randomly pitching, sliding, and overlapping the various copies. Likely possible but would require a ton of support modules.
Whatisvalis
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Whatisvalis »

Do folks still encounter a high pitched whine (power related)? How is it with the intellijel 104 case?
Accelra
Common Wiggler

Post by Accelra »

Whatisvalis wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:06 pm Do folks still encounter a high pitched whine (power related)? How is it with the intellijel 104 case?
Mine whines a bit in my Performance 104hp case, the Intellijel 104hp 4U skiff and with my 4MS Row 45 power supply. Luckily my setup is near my left speaker, so it drowns it out.
Tristana
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Re:

Post by Tristana »

enzyme00 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:49 pmMine's been unplugged for at least 8 months, it was ruining my enjoyment of the whole rack.

I'd sell it if it wasn't so damn cool.
Isn't that the fuggin conundrum? It's simultaneously irritating as hell, yet hard to part with as it makes great sounds.

I guess 'Make Noise' accurately summarizes both of those attributes.
Spectra
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Spectra »

Morphagene is really fun to play with a keyboard and 4 output midi to cv converter. Can get a huge amount of variation with note, velocity and aftertouch patched to various parameters.
Bregnier
Common Wiggler

Post by Bregnier »

Reorganized my case for the nth time and after 2 years the noise just… went away. Christmas in July!

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”