MakeNoise Morphagene

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
mother misty
Wiggling with Experience

Re: MakeNoise Morphagene

Post by mother misty »

Spectra wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:05 pm I'll try that, thanks. Any other good places to use EOSG within the module for different reasons? I haven't used that output yet.
It's an interesting output to put into a clockdivider/multiplier, especially if you have reels with loops.
I've a reel that's full of 1-bar loops, if you put the EOSG output into a clock-multiplier and multiply it X4 it's pretty easy to sync the rest of your system to this as it becomes your masterclock, it's a pretty fun and interesting way of working ;)
hpc
Common Wiggler

Post by hpc »

Another cool way to use EOSG is to vary up an external delay’s rate or clock (like Mimeophon) while time-stretching on MG. Gene size will directly affect the EOSG length as well, so if you run an evolving CV into that input, it becomes a whole time-shifting experiment!
https://linktr.ee/hype.consumer

Pedals | Eurorack | Synths | Guitars | DAW-full
Sweevo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sweevo »

markincork wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:11 am
PianoPets wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:17 am I have a question about Morphagene and Ableton Live: Does anyone know if it is possible to save splice markers with an audio file for Morphagene to read from Ableton Live?

I know how to do it in Logic. And I think it's possible to do with Audacity, too.

But can it also be done in Ableton Live?

Thanks in advance.
I know you can do it with Reaper alright. There’s mention of Ableton in this article.

https://cheapstery.com/review/make-nois ... ity-334706
Hi there, I've been trying to do this in logic. Can you please share how? tnx.!
hpc
Common Wiggler

Post by hpc »

Sweevo wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:50 am
Hi there, I've been trying to do this in logic. Can you please share how? tnx.!
https://www.dereklhirondelle.com/blog-p ... e-your-own

This method works for me in Logic 10.6 - the key is to use markers to denote splice points in the reel and export as a wav. Also make sure your project settings reflect what Morphagene expects (48kHz, 32-bit).
https://linktr.ee/hype.consumer

Pedals | Eurorack | Synths | Guitars | DAW-full
Dob
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Dob »

Dob wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:38 am Thanks guys.
I've solved it by reformatting the (included) card.

Still weird behaviour. The card was corrupted by Morphagene, somehow.

Luckily, my main workflow with it is harvesting samples on the desktop and then loading them to the SD. I hardly record stuff directly.
That might change when I get an in-Euro microphone, but for now, nothing got lost.
The problem is back. It's infuriating. It makes sampling directly on Morphagene impossible! I had some really cool resamples on there, this time. And I went through a lot of effort to get some nice new samples on there yesterday. All gone :doh:
I'm starting to really dislike Morphagene.

Back in the days, with hardware samplers, I NEVER lost a sample.
Murcia Parker
Common Wiggler

Post by Murcia Parker »

Pardon my ignorance but I thought unipolar signals were those which vary between 0 volts and some maximum positive voltage and bipolar signals where those which fluctuates between positive and negative voltages (https://learningmodular.com/glossary/unipolar/).

However I'm reading the Morphagene manual and I read in page 9 this: "8. Gene-Size CV IN: Bi-polar control input which sets Gene-Size. Range 0V to +8V".

What am I missing? The manual is very well-writen so I guess there is something that I am missing.
soundsculptor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soundsculptor »

mother misty wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:37 pm
Spectra wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:05 pm I'll try that, thanks. Any other good places to use EOSG within the module for different reasons? I haven't used that output yet.
It's an interesting output to put into a clockdivider/multiplier, especially if you have reels with loops.
I've a reel that's full of 1-bar loops, if you put the EOSG output into a clock-multiplier and multiply it X4 it's pretty easy to sync the rest of your system to this as it becomes your masterclock, it's a pretty fun and interesting way of working ;)
nice on. would you share what clock multiplier is your choice?
don´t critisize it - equalize it
0netwo0netwo
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 0netwo0netwo »

Murcia Parker wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:00 pm Pardon my ignorance but I thought unipolar signals were those which vary between 0 volts and some maximum positive voltage and bipolar signals where those which fluctuates between positive and negative voltages (https://learningmodular.com/glossary/unipolar/).

However I'm reading the Morphagene manual and I read in page 9 this: "8. Gene-Size CV IN: Bi-polar control input which sets Gene-Size. Range 0V to +8V".

What am I missing? The manual is very well-writen so I guess there is something that I am missing.

i asked walker this very same question
this was his answer
Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 2.39.02 PM.png
some invest in gold, silver and stocks - I like to invest in synths and drum machines :sb:

https://0netwo0netwo.bandcamp.com/releases

https://soundcloud.com/0netwo0netwo
Murcia Parker
Common Wiggler

Post by Murcia Parker »

0netwo0netwo wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:41 pm
Murcia Parker wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:00 pm Pardon my ignorance but I thought unipolar signals were those which vary between 0 volts and some maximum positive voltage and bipolar signals where those which fluctuates between positive and negative voltages (https://learningmodular.com/glossary/unipolar/).

i asked walker this very same question
this was his answer

Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 2.39.02 PM.png
Yes, it makes sense. Thanks!
huh
Learning to Wiggle

Post by huh »

LDT wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:21 am Does anybody know if there is an iOS audio editor that does markers that Morphagene can read?
And related to that, is there a specific name for this type of markers?

(A bit bummed that I need to learn a new piece of software to make reels. I use Nuendo (Cubase), Ableton and Bitwig, but neither makes the right markers.)
I would also like to know if there are any apps for iOS. This would really speed up my workflow.

It's been 2 years. Maybe something new has come out...
p.lopeslopes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by p.lopeslopes »

huh wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:50 pm
LDT wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:21 am Does anybody know if there is an iOS audio editor that does markers that Morphagene can read?
And related to that, is there a specific name for this type of markers?

(A bit bummed that I need to learn a new piece of software to make reels. I use Nuendo (Cubase), Ableton and Bitwig, but neither makes the right markers.)
I would also like to know if there are any apps for iOS. This would really speed up my workflow.

It's been 2 years. Maybe something new has come out...
maybe ;

izotpe // spire ??

since iztope rx can export files with the right markers it could be a good try ???
tdallas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tdallas »

It is not 100% what was asked but there is this web application which can assemble reels (with splice markers) and is also very useful to manage the options on the SD card (plus the button combo overview):
-> https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=217814
-> https://www.lorenzostanco.com/lab/morphagene/

They also mention "Koala" (iOS) for a workaround in combination with the above linked app:
-> https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 4#p3349654
Sketcherazzi wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:34 pm It doesn’t add splices per se, but Koala on iOS will let you chop a file into individual chunks that are stored as wavs in the Files directory - you could then re-load them in the Morphagene utility to Recombine as a single reel with splice markers where you edited the individual wavs.
Tristana
Wiggling with Experience

Re:

Post by Tristana »

makenoise wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:04 amThe noise you complain of is acoustic only. It is not in the audio signal path. This is the nature of running a powerful DSP within an open frame modular synthesizer system.
I've had this issue across two Morphagenes in six cases all with different power supplies. I've considered selling MG in the past for this reason, but always loved its function too much to do so.

Unfortunately now, I may actually do so. I've become primarily a NiftyKEYZ user and wish to use it as my always-on master keyboard as well. Sadly, the Morphagene whine causes me a nasty headache if I leave it running.

Before I swap out to a Bitbox- has anyone ever solved this issue? Are there components like the regulators that could be swapped that might help? Is there a material that exists that's an acoustic & electrical insulator, but thermally conductive? Is there any hope of salvaging the use of my favorite sound source?
Samaepstein
Common Wiggler

Post by Samaepstein »

soundsculptor wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:26 pm
mother misty wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:37 pm
nice on. would you share what clock multiplier is your choice?
Gonna try tonight with the 4ms QCD!
0netwo0netwo
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by 0netwo0netwo »

Tristana wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:11 pm
makenoise wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:04 amThe noise you complain of is acoustic only. It is not in the audio signal path. This is the nature of running a powerful DSP within an open frame modular synthesizer system.
I've had this issue across two Morphagenes in six cases all with different power supplies. I've considered selling MG in the past for this reason, but always loved its function too much to do so.

Unfortunately now, I may actually do so. I've become primarily a NiftyKEYZ user and wish to use it as my always-on master keyboard as well. Sadly, the Morphagene whine causes me a nasty headache if I leave it running.

Before I swap out to a Bitbox- has anyone ever solved this issue? Are there components like the regulators that could be swapped that might help? Is there a material that exists that's an acoustic & electrical insulator, but thermally conductive? Is there any hope of salvaging the use of my favorite sound source?
of course this is a panel setting for when not in use
so
if you put the Gene Size and Morph controls full CW and the varispeed stopped at noon (double red) the three attenuverters at noon and then the rest (SOS, Slide & Organize) full CCW that acoustic whine goes away maybe like 98%
for me at least
give it a shot
some invest in gold, silver and stocks - I like to invest in synths and drum machines :sb:

https://0netwo0netwo.bandcamp.com/releases

https://soundcloud.com/0netwo0netwo
Tristana
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tristana »

0netwo0netwo wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:44 pmof course this is a panel setting for when not in use
insane that this works

unfortunately not a great fix as it means being unable to leave patches as they are, and doesn't 100% attenuate it for me, but thank you nonetheless

edit: actually I'm not sure this does anything on mine and if the whine is just intermittent. it isn't working consistently
The Junglechrist
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist »

Hey folks ! I've made a little demo / tutorial video about how i've been using the Morphagene recently, if anyone is curious about it:

colb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by colb »

The Junglechrist wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:28 am Hey folks ! I've made a little demo / tutorial video about how i've been using the Morphagene recently, if anyone is curious about it:

This is great, particularly the beat loop creation and slicing. Thanks!
The Junglechrist
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist »

colb wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:32 am This is great, particularly the beat loop creation and slicing. Thanks!
Glad you liked it ;-) I figured I never saw video about this so better share it !
enzyme00
Common Wiggler

Post by enzyme00 »

Tristana wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:58 am
0netwo0netwo wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:44 pmof course this is a panel setting for when not in use
insane that this works

unfortunately not a great fix as it means being unable to leave patches as they are, and doesn't 100% attenuate it for me, but thank you nonetheless

edit: actually I'm not sure this does anything on mine and if the whine is just intermittent. it isn't working consistently
The solution is a power interrupt panel with a switch to turn the damn thing off 🙂 Unfortunately no one makes one. 'Anti-Make Noise Module'. I'm nervous about DIY'ing it. Basically a panel with two sockets for ribbon cables on the back and a switch between them on the front.

Alternatively a separate small power supply.

Mine's been unplugged for at least 8 months, it was ruining my enjoyment of the whole rack.

I'd sell it if it wasn't so damn cool.
My Modular + Matriarch / My Youtube
tdallas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

MakeNoise Morphagene

Post by tdallas »

enzyme00 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:49 pmAlternatively a separate small power supply.
;)
https://4mscompany.com/p.php?p=883&c=9#_
enzyme00
Common Wiggler

Post by enzyme00 »

tdallas wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:03 pm
enzyme00 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:49 pmAlternatively a separate small power supply.
;)
https://4mscompany.com/p.php?p=883&c=9#_

Ooooooooo! I could velcro it to anything! :yay:
My Modular + Matriarch / My Youtube
FletchNYC
Veteran Wiggler

Post by FletchNYC »

Does anyone know exactly what’s happening with the Morphagene pitch jumping after you’ve turned the Morph knob past 2:30? Is it jumping a full octave? Third? Fifth? Seventh? All the above?
Dark Barn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Dark Barn »

FletchNYC wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:09 am Does anyone know exactly what’s happening with the Morphagene pitch jumping after you’ve turned the Morph knob past 2:30? Is it jumping a full octave? Third? Fifth? Seventh? All the above?
It is user definable on a txt file on the sd card, unless you are on old firmware. The default was this series; +octave, +1.5 octave, +2 octaves, so that’s probably what you have if no one has ever changed it.
I’ve been searchin’ for the dolphins in the sea

https://weakinreview.org
moustachioed
Common Wiggler

Post by moustachioed »

Dark Barn wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:37 am
FletchNYC wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:09 am Does anyone know exactly what’s happening with the Morphagene pitch jumping after you’ve turned the Morph knob past 2:30? Is it jumping a full octave? Third? Fifth? Seventh? All the above?
It is user definable on a txt file on the sd card, unless you are on old firmware. The default was this series; +octave, +1.5 octave, +2 octaves, so that’s probably what you have if no one has ever changed it.
And don’t forget you can also set negative values for reverse playback.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”