MakeNoise Morphagene

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
Dob
Veteran Wiggler

Re: MakeNoise Morphagene

Post by Dob »

Thanks guys.
I've solved it by reformatting the (included) card.

Still weird behaviour. The card was corrupted by Morphagene, somehow.

Luckily, my main workflow with it is harvesting samples on the desktop and then loading them to the SD. I hardly record stuff directly.
That might change when I get an in-Euro microphone, but for now, nothing got lost.
ncoded
Common Wiggler

Post by ncoded »

Is anyone selling (or is there a better place to ask about this) pre-loaded and spliced SD cards for MORPHAGENE?????

At a reasonable/fair price?

Or trading?

Seems like it could be a cool way to "remix" when bored with one's own SD contents?
abozzelli
Learning to Wiggle

Post by abozzelli »

ncoded wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:20 am Is anyone selling (or is there a better place to ask about this) pre-loaded and spliced SD cards for MORPHAGENE?????

Or trading?

Seems like it could be a cool way to "remix" when bored with one's own SD contents?

freesound is where reels are usually shared:

https://freesound.org/browse/tags/morphagene/
Dob
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Dob »

abozzelli wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:50 am
ncoded wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:20 am Is anyone selling (or is there a better place to ask about this) pre-loaded and spliced SD cards for MORPHAGENE?????

Or trading?

freesound is where reels are usually shared:

https://freesound.org/browse/tags/morphagene/
Yes, I usually go there too.
Sometimes the recordings are pre-spliced, but most of the time I just search for cool field recordings, as long as I'm not able to record my own. I think you can filter on file specifications, not? Only max length is not in this selection, these would be field recordings that can be used on Morphagene: https://freesound.org/search/?g=1&q=fie ... luster_id=
ncoded
Common Wiggler

Post by ncoded »

thanks. great info and links.
cat_abyss
Common Wiggler

Post by cat_abyss »

It would be cool with a dedicated like SD card switchup! Something secret santa-like where you send lets say two cards and then get two random cards from others. That could be fun i think, just to see how others use theirs and get some cool new sounds, etc.
FletchNYC
Veteran Wiggler

Post by FletchNYC »

Has anyone else struggled to get time stretching to work properly on Morphagene? In loopop's video, he is able to change the bpm of the incoming clock, and Morphagene speeds up and slows down based on this clock. He’s also able to adjust the pitch of the sample without the sample rate being effected. I’ve attempted to accomplish both of the things, and wasn’t able to accomplish either, despite seemingly doing the exact same thing he did. My Morphagene basically behaves the same regardless of its in time stretch mode, or not.
mosorensen
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mosorensen »

FletchNYC wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:24 am Has anyone else struggled to get time stretching to work properly on Morphagene? In loopop's video, he is able to change the bpm of the incoming clock, and Morphagene speeds up and slows down based on this clock. He’s also able to adjust the pitch of the sample without the sample rate being effected. I’ve attempted to accomplish both of the things, and wasn’t able to accomplish either, despite seemingly doing the exact same thing he did. My Morphagene basically behaves the same regardless of its in time stretch mode, or not.
I haven't played around with this myself yet, so I may be entirely wrong, but in the new firmware there are some options that are only accessible through the options.txt file on the SD card. One of them is ckop, which is related to clocking and time stretching, so setting that one may give you the same behavior.
The Journey is the Destination
FletchNYC
Veteran Wiggler

Post by FletchNYC »

mosorensen wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:23 am
FletchNYC wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:24 am Has anyone else struggled to get time stretching to work properly on Morphagene? In loopop's video, he is able to change the bpm of the incoming clock, and Morphagene speeds up and slows down based on this clock. He’s also able to adjust the pitch of the sample without the sample rate being effected. I’ve attempted to accomplish both of the things, and wasn’t able to accomplish either, despite seemingly doing the exact same thing he did. My Morphagene basically behaves the same regardless of its in time stretch mode, or not.
I haven't played around with this myself yet, so I may be entirely wrong, but in the new firmware there are some options that are only accessible through the options.txt file on the SD card. One of them is ckop, which is related to clocking and time stretching, so setting that one may give you the same behavior.
I actually did try switching the setting from hybrid gene shift time stretch to time stretch only, and to my surprise it seemingly had no effect on the sound. I was expecting that there would be no morphing in this mode, but morphing still occurred, and there was no noticeable time stretching of the sample. In loopop’s video, he turns up morphing, but you don’t hear the sample overlapping on top of itself. I was never able to achieve this. There is always overlapping as I turn up morphing.
mother misty
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mother misty »

Did you check if the varispeed LED turned blue? It has to turn blue otherwise you aren't in stretch mode, clock Morphagene and move morph up till it turns blue, you should be able to control the speed now with the clock you're feeding Morphagene.
FletchNYC
Veteran Wiggler

Post by FletchNYC »

mother misty wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:16 am
Did you check if the varigate LED turned blue? It has to turn blue otherwise you aren't in stretch mode, clock Morphagene and move morph up till it turns blue, you should be able to control the speed now with the clock you're feeding Morphagene.
Yep, made sure I was in blue territory. The clock had no impact on the rate of the sample. I changed the bpm of the clock to 10, and the sample never changed. It’s clearly not behaving as It should. I believe I’m using the latest firmware, but regardless, when I get home I’m going to reinstall firmware 204, and see if that fixes it. If not, I’ll have to contact Make Noise.
FletchNYC
Veteran Wiggler

Post by FletchNYC »

Just wanted to mention this for anyone else struggling to get time stretch to work properly - it’s currently not mentioned in the manual, but for time stretching to work, you have have the gene size parameter set to noon, or later. If it’s fully counter clockwise, there will be no time stretching of the audio.
luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford »

FletchNYC wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:09 am Just wanted to mention this for anyone else struggling to get time stretch to work properly - it’s currently not mentioned in the manual, but for time stretching to work, you have have the gene size parameter set to noon, or later. If it’s fully counter clockwise, there will be no time stretching of the audio.
Nice find! Now that you mention it I think I have experienced this, but my solution to tell if it's working has always been to shrink the gene size...
hpc
Common Wiggler

Post by hpc »

This gene size behavior makes it pretty useful to fade into/out of time stretching, fwiw. Neat little technique I’ve been using recently!
https://linktr.ee/hype.consumer

Pedals | Eurorack | Synths | Guitars | DAW-full
markincork
Common Wiggler

Post by markincork »

FletchNYC wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:09 am Just wanted to mention this for anyone else struggling to get time stretch to work properly - it’s currently not mentioned in the manual, but for time stretching to work, you have have the gene size parameter set to noon, or later. If it’s fully counter clockwise, there will be no time stretching of the audio.
Thank you!
FletchNYC
Veteran Wiggler

Post by FletchNYC »

No problem! Another tip - you’re going to want to send it a very fast clock. I multiplied my clock from Pams by 6 to get mine sounding right. You can also change the GNSM setting to 1 in the txt file, and this will make your audio less granular when you increase the gene size. This way you can more clearly hear the time stretching effect.
hpc
Common Wiggler

Post by hpc »

FletchNYC wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:19 pm Another tip - you’re going to want to send it a very fast clock. I multiplied my clock from Pams by 6 to get mine sounding right.
Not necessarily, a slow clock will really expand the sound source and allow you to go microscopic with the time-stretching. It depends on your BPM of course but anywhere down to /8 works well coming from Pam’s into the MG clock input. Faster clocks might be better for rhythmic samples, while organic or orchestral ones would benefit from slow clocks.
https://linktr.ee/hype.consumer

Pedals | Eurorack | Synths | Guitars | DAW-full
FletchNYC
Veteran Wiggler

Post by FletchNYC »

hpc wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:41 am
FletchNYC wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:19 pm Another tip - you’re going to want to send it a very fast clock. I multiplied my clock from Pams by 6 to get mine sounding right.
Not necessarily, a slow clock will really expand the sound source and allow you to go microscopic with the time-stretching. It depends on your BPM of course but anywhere down to /8 works well coming from Pam’s into the MG clock input. Faster clocks might be better for rhythmic samples, while organic or orchestral ones would benefit from slow clocks.
Correct. I meant if you want your sample to sound similar to how it would if played at its normal speed.
josematou
Learning to Wiggle

Post by josematou »

Hello,
I bought a Morphagene second hand.
Unfortunately it's seem to have an issue

As you can see after recording and playing the loop (after bar 5) there is a little gap of silence at every looping

Is this a normal behavior ?

(the gene size is in classic mode)

the recording is not affected, when i export the wav file from the SD card, there is no silence
Mr.Kus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mr.Kus »

josematou wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:55 am Hello,

As you can see after recording and playing the loop (after bar 5) there is a little gap of silence at every looping

Is this normal a behavior ?

the recording is not affected, when i export the wav file from the SD card, there is no silence

That's normal behaviour. Check the section about morph control from the manual:

"With Morph fully counterclockwise, a short gap of silence is heard before the start of each subsequent Gene."
Spectra
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Spectra »

Question: is there an easy way to make a file that has been sliced up be played in it's entirety? In other words, ignore the slices and play the whole file? Then resume playing the slices? If not, there should be some kind of toggle for a slice mode and a full mode. Maybe I should read the manual. Nah. I'm going to ask MW.

My workaround is to duplicate the file and have the first slice be the the complete loop. Then the duplicate file is the part that gets sliced up into smaller bits.
luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford »

Spectra wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:33 am Question: is there an easy way to make a file that has been sliced up be played in it's entirety? In other words, ignore the slices and play the whole file? Then resume playing the slices? If not, there should be some kind of toggle for a slice mode and a full mode. Maybe I should read the manual. Nah. I'm going to ask MW.

My workaround is to duplicate the file and have the first slice be the the complete loop. Then the duplicate file is the part that gets sliced up into smaller bits.
Patch EOSG to SHIFT. Alternatively I think it would be more useful to have one reel sliced and one not or just delete all the splices in real time. If you delete all the splices, the gene size determines the splice length (and then I imagine you'd move around that window using SLIDE).
josematou
Learning to Wiggle

Post by josematou »

Mr.Kus wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:03 am

"With Morph fully counterclockwise, a short gap of silence is heard before the start of each subsequent Gene."
Thanks, i'm able to loop normally now, a bit hard to place the knob for this features but it's working
Spectra
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Spectra »

luketeaford wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:40 am
Patch EOSG to SHIFT.

I'll try that, thanks. Any other good places to use EOSG within the module for different reasons? I haven't used that output yet.
Dob
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Dob »

Mr.Kus wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:03 am
josematou wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:55 am Hello,

Is this normal a behavior ?

So you have to turn morph a bit up until the left varispeed color turns (I think it is) yellow.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”