MakeNoise Morphagene

Cwejman, Doepfer, Erica, MakeNoise, Mutable instruments, TipTop Audio, Analogue Solutions, and much more! The world’s most popular format.
Be sure to look into MANUFACTURER SUB-FORA as well..
Bregnier
Common Wiggler

Re: MakeNoise Morphagene

Post by Bregnier »

How do people here deal with input noise? I’ve had a persistent hiss from my inputs from day one but after checking with Make Noise they’ve told me this is normal and that I need to use gain staging to deal with it. How hot should i run my signals? It’s manageable (but still audible) for modular-level audio run through at the highest gain setting, I have trouble believing the unit was designed for me to boost input levels significantly higher than typical modular levels. For anything entering the Morphagene from outside the rack I’ve been prerecording, which is dead quiet.
luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford »

Bregnier wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:44 am How do people here deal with input noise? I’ve had a persistent hiss from my inputs from day one but after checking with Make Noise they’ve told me this is normal and that I need to use gain staging to deal with it. How hot should i run my signals? It’s manageable (but still audible) for modular-level audio run through at the highest gain setting, I have trouble believing the unit was designed for me to boost input levels significantly higher than typical modular levels. For anything entering the Morphagene from outside the rack I’ve been prerecording, which is dead quiet.
I can't find it in the manual, but I believe its input doesn't do autoleveling anymore and now works like Mimeophon (4 dedicated colors corresponding to input gain).

Personally I tend to record pretty hot so I don't hear much noise floor. I can hear the acoustic noise MG makes and that is much more irritating to me, but I still love it.
Flamusic
Common Wiggler

Post by Flamusic »

Do you like your reverb pre or post MG ?
I know both is possible and best to have both.
But if you have only one reverb ?
What do most of you prefer ?
GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy »

Flamusic wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:39 am Do you like your reverb pre or post MG ?
I've not had mine long but...it depends? Probably mostly MG into reverb. But it also depends on the audio I am mangling. There can be lovely things that come from delicate transient sounds into a reverb into the MG. Once you start wiggling you can get some nice pumping, artefacts from the detuned reverb, etc.
mother misty
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mother misty »

Flamusic wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:39 am Do you like your reverb pre or post MG ?
as GuyaGuy already pointed out, it depends on what you're after, but placing it before MG is pretty interesting as you can pitch, chop, timestretch, reverse... your reverb tails and use them in a creative way, the video below explains that pretty well where the Erbeverb is patched before the Morphagene.
Naive Teen Idol
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Naive Teen Idol »

Does anyone remember the trick Walker showed in one of the Morph videos on how to overdub without losing volume of the previous tracks? I remember him mentioning it once, might’ve been when discussing the X-Pan or possibly a firmware option, but can’t remember which video of it was in. I’m hoping to use it to layer tracks but don’t want the volume drop of attenuating the recorded material.

As I think about it, I think the trick is to set the firmware option to record input only into the X-Pan on one channel and the new track into another and then to mult the output back into the Morphagene in. But I haven’t tried it yet.
Naive Teen Idol
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Naive Teen Idol »

Naive Teen Idol wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:11 pm Does anyone remember the trick Walker showed in one of the Morph videos on how to overdub without losing volume of the previous tracks? I remember him mentioning it once, might’ve been when discussing the X-Pan or possibly a firmware option, but can’t remember which video of it was in. I’m hoping to use it to layer tracks but don’t want the volume drop of attenuating the recorded material.

As I think about it, I think the trick is to set the firmware option to record input only into the X-Pan on one channel and the new track into another and then to mult the output back into the Morphagene in. But I haven’t tried it yet.
So I've tried this and still found the volume drop to be significant enough that it's tricky. Do any posters have advice for this?

Edit: I think I solved this by setting the Morph input level to the second/green setting which is modular level. I had previously thought the blue level was modular. You still have to mind gain staging however.
Electro Something
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Electro Something »

Ive been enjoying sampling vocals from films and tv shows lately. Been using Clouds, Mimeophon, and Bitbox Micro to turn them into rhythmic beats and melodies, kinda 90s house style, but these modules don’t exactly do what I’m looking for.

Think the Morphagene could be the ticket? I’ve yet to get my hands on one.
a773
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by a773 »

I found that it was very frustrating trying to get precise, intended results with the morphagene. It’s possible but it seems counter to how the module was designed. In the end I sold it, haven’t looked back.
R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts »

Electro Something wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:24 pm Ive been enjoying sampling vocals from films and tv shows lately. Been using Clouds, Mimeophon, and Bitbox Micro to turn them into rhythmic beats and melodies, kinda 90s house style, but these modules don’t exactly do what I’m looking for.

Do you mean using the vocal samples as one-shots which are sequenced? That's what I imagine based on your "90s house" description. If so, Bitbox Micro might be the better solution than Morphagene... In fact this use scenario really isn't the one MG really fits well...
markincork
Common Wiggler

Post by markincork »

Electro Something wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:24 pm Ive been enjoying sampling vocals from films and tv shows lately. Been using Clouds, Mimeophon, and Bitbox Micro to turn them into rhythmic beats and melodies, kinda 90s house style, but these modules don’t exactly do what I’m looking for.

You might get some ideas here

https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=213519
kriskeyman
Common Wiggler

Post by kriskeyman »

1. how do I check the firmware version on my Morphagene? I purchased in Aug '21 from Ctrl, not sure if I need to update to MG204
2. where can I find the historical date e.g. month/year for when Morphagene firmwares were released?
auspemusic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by auspemusic »

kriskeyman wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:39 pm 1. how do I check the firmware version on my Morphagene? I purchased in Aug '21 from Ctrl, not sure if I need to update to MG204
2. where can I find the historical date e.g. month/year for when Morphagene firmwares were released?
The readme in the firmware folder says "If your Morphagene has a serial number #6519 or higher, or if your Morphagene is already running version mg203 or mg204, you do NOT need this update." so serial # is going to be the easiest way for you to quickly check.

If the options.txt lets you change morph chord ratios, you are good to go. If you got it this year it's almost surely on the newest.
joeSeggiola
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joeSeggiola »

kriskeyman wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:39 pm 1. how do I check the firmware version on my Morphagene?
Check the colors of the REEL and SPLICE LEDs on power up:
- Pink and yellow? Version MG204 (December 2020)
- Pink/white and green? Version MG203 (January 2020)
- Orange and violet? Version MG157 (July 2018)
- Orange and orange? Version MG155b (May 2018)
- Green and Fuchsia? Version MG137 (July 2017)

I got these from readmes and filetimes in:
https://www.makenoisemusic.com/manuals/ ... rmware.zip
Phitar
Constantly Learning

Post by Phitar »

∆ Thanks for that joeSeggiola. Figured there was some kind of visual clue but wasn't sure where the info was located. Been thinking I might be behind an update or two but have been too tired (or lazy) when getting home to pour through read me files. The storyline on those things put me to sleep and the character development is usually lousy. :lol:
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Wiggling for the Greater Goo! :goo:
kriskeyman
Common Wiggler

Post by kriskeyman »

joeSeggiola wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:50 am
kriskeyman wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:39 pm 1. how do I check the firmware version on my Morphagene?
Check the colors of the REEL and SPLICE LEDs on power up:
- Pink and yellow? Version MG204 (December 2020)
- Pink/white and green? Version MG203 (January 2020)
- Orange and violet? Version MG157 (July 2018)
- Orange and orange? Version MG155b (May 2018)
- Green and Fuchsia? Version MG137 (July 2017)

I got these from readmes and filetimes in:
Thank you! 🙏
Sentient Machines
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sentient Machines »

Yunsnare wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:37 pm Finally I got one ! It's so easy to get stuck on a loop with this module wow ! At first I don't plan to use it with a computer. So for the first minute of this patch, it's just Morphagene into Clouds with a small OP-Z sound.

This sounds so good
Spectra
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Spectra »

My recently acquired Morphagene has the highest serial number of any module in my kit. Almost 10,000.

It feels somewhat embarrassing owning such a mainstream module.
dreamrobe
Common Wiggler

Post by dreamrobe »

Don´t worry. No one can hear the serial number.
Yunsnare
Common Wiggler

Post by Yunsnare »

Sentient Machines wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:59 am
Yunsnare wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:37 pm Finally I got one ! It's so easy to get stuck on a loop with this module wow ! At first I don't plan to use it with a computer. So for the first minute of this patch, it's just Morphagene into Clouds with a small OP-Z sound.

This sounds so good
Thank you a lot 🙏🖤

My latest one is based on the Morphagene as the only sound source but processed by different modules.

Dob
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Dob »

My Morphagene is mad at me.
I didn't use it for a while, and now it starts eating my reels.

Whatever I load onto the SD, when I want to select and audition a reel, I hear nothing. Looking at the SD afterwards, all the reels that it tried to load are converted to 44 byte empty files.
I've also tried with just one reel on the SD of which I'm certain it did load in the past; nothing. It gets eaten to 44 bytes.

It did this 5 or 6 times in a row, being switched off in between tries, when I was loading new reels onto the SD. Then I have up.

What to do? Is there a factory reset of sorts? Anyone experienced the same?

Edit; I think a reformatting of the SD card might do the trick.
viewtopic.php?t=199872
Otherwise I'm going to look into (re)loading the FW...
Spectra
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Spectra »

The people at Make Noise are quite responsive if no one knows here.
Mtdining
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mtdining »

As a new user, I was frustrated with loading a reel (and getting the 44kb file), until I realized the file I was trying to load was not 32 bit. I resaved it using Amadeus, being sure to select 32 bit and 48kHz, and it loaded fine. So I would triple check that the file is the correct format. My problem with Morphagine is that I can lose vast amounts of time playing with it, and not getting any further:)
Bregnier
Common Wiggler

Post by Bregnier »

Agreed, first thing to check is that the files are (per the manual) 32-bit float, 48000Hz stereo-only .wav files. Then reformat the SD card (FAT32 format only). After that maybe try another card. If none of that works, I’d contact MN.
Mtdining
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mtdining »

Yes, I was also using one of the Sandisk Ultra A1 memory cards mentioned a ways back in the thread.

Return to “1U & 3U Eurorack Modules”